HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
#CloseFCPS Trends Nationally
Posted by: #CloseFCPS ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:10AM

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2015/01/06/close-fcps-trending-on-twitter-on-snow-day/21323919/

FAIRFAX, Va. (WUSA9) -- If you were on Twitter Tuesday morning, then you may have noticed #closeFCPS trending nationally and worldwide.

Fairfax County Public Schools decided to keep schools open and on time on Tuesday morning before the snow. Early Tuesday morning, snow accumulated on the ground, creating slick and icy conditions. Parents received an email from the school system which reads: "The inclement weather may result in your child's bus being delayed this morning. Please be patient and safe if you are driving this morning."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: #CloseFCPS Trends Nationally
Posted by: Tweets ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:18AM

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:24AM

It's really not. The writer of that piece doesn't know that Twitter knows (approximately) where you are. Twitter gives you what's trending around you, not worldwide.

Posted by: Unbelievable ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:25AM

This tweet speaks for itself. God forbid we should ask the janitors to help clean up at schools.

Salem Ergetie ?@Salemergetie 99 minutes ago
they're making the janitors do the job that the county was supposed to do. #closefcps
Attachments:
j43.jpg

Posted by: Nigro ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:49AM

If you go on desktop it shows you worldwide trends and #closeFCPS is on it

Posted by: wnMmN ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:56AM

Unbelievable Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This tweet speaks for itself. God forbid we
> should ask the janitors to help clean up at
> schools.
>
> Salem Ergetie ?@Salemergetie 99 minutes ago
> they're making the janitors do the job that the
> county was supposed to do. #closefcps

Janitors in the pic are clearing the front walk not the lot or road. The school is responsible for the walks. Janitors always do this.

Date: January 06, 2015 11:25AM

Nigro Wrote:
> If you go on desktop it shows you worldwide trends
> and #closeFCPS is on it

No, it doesn't. It shows local trends. Always.

On mine, I see #DCSnow and MCPS are trending as well. You think MCPS is trending in Indonesia? Hell no.

https://support.twitter.com/groups/50-welcome-to-twitter/topics/203-faqs/articles/101125-faqs-about-trends-on-twitter

> How are Trends determined?
> Trends are determined by an algorithm and, by default, are tailored for you based on who you follow and your location. This algorithm identifies topics that are popular now, rather than topics that have been popular for a while or on a daily basis, to help you discover the hottest emerging topics of discussion on Twitter that matter most to you.

> You can choose to see Trends that are not tailored for you by selecting a specific Trends location on Twitter.com. Location Trends identify popular topics among users in a specific geographic location

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2015 11:27AM by Kardinal.

Posted by: Prestige ()
Date: January 06, 2015 11:28AM

Kardinal Wrote:
> It's really not. The writer of that piece doesn't
> know that Twitter knows (approximately) where you
> are. Twitter gives you what's trending around
> you, not worldwide.

@OhMyGOFF: At one point this morning #closeFCPS was trending worldwide as students took to twitter http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/CloseFCPS-Trends-Worldwide-on-Twitter-287650621.html

Date: January 06, 2015 11:58AM

Prestige Wrote:
> Kardinal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's really not. The writer of that piece
> doesn't
> > know that Twitter knows (approximately) where
> you
> > are. Twitter gives you what's trending around
> > you, not worldwide.
>
> @OhMyGOFF: At one point this morning #closeFCPS
> was trending worldwide as students took to twitter
> http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/CloseFCPS-
> Trends-Worldwide-on-Twitter-287650621.html …

Except it wasn't. That was written by someone who doesn't understand how Twitter works.

Did you read what Twitter *itself* said above? Do you think MCPS is trending in Australia?

Posted by: the sky is falling ()
Date: January 06, 2015 12:07PM

Prestige Wrote:
> Kardinal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's really not. The writer of that piece
> doesn't
> > know that Twitter knows (approximately) where
> you
> > are. Twitter gives you what's trending around
> > you, not worldwide.
>
> @OhMyGOFF: At one point this morning #closeFCPS
> was trending worldwide as students took to twitter
> http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/CloseFCPS-
> Trends-Worldwide-on-Twitter-287650621.html …

Now the entire world now know what a bunch of pansies live here. God forbid we have a real dire situation happen

Posted by: Settler ()
Date: January 06, 2015 12:09PM

Trending locally all day, trending world wide for a few minutes. There, all settled now.

Posted by: peaking ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:51PM

Peaked at #2

Posted by: King Ryan McElveen ()
Date: January 07, 2015 11:59AM

A message from FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Dear Self Entitled, non driving, Parents:

It is clear that my decision to keep schools open today angered some of you whiny, non driving, self entitled parents. I am NOT sorry for that. We have heard from many of our families and we are NOT listening. Fuck off. I make the decisions around here and if you don't like it then fuck you. I think your patience is lacking. Your little brats were better off here at school LEARNING, rather than being at home, most likely unsupervised and probably getting into trouble. Student safety is NOT my first priority in determining whether to open or close schools. Making money is. Don't like it. FUCK YOU.

We will dismiss schools at their normal times this afternoon. Although weather and road conditions are improving, we do anticipate that some of our buses will experience additional delays transporting students home. TOUGH SHIT. Pick up your brats if you feel you need to and try not to wind up in a ditch or wrapped around a tree because you can't drive your Beamer on the snow. Please feel free to KISS MY ASS. My ball SACC center will be open today until 6:15 p.m.

I could give fuck that many teachers and school staff membersworked diligently to get our schools ready. That is their fucking job. Stop whining. We have also heard that many parents volunteered to help the schools welcome our students. Whoopty fucking doo.

My focus now is to get home this afternoon and start drinking heavily to forget this craptastic day. Students who were unable to get to school today will be severly punished, even beaten.

Please know I will be NOT be going over our procedures and processes to make every improvement possible to avoid the situation we encountered this morning. Shit is just fine the way it is. You babies need to review yourselves and make shit right. We are not even monitoring the weather conditions and will make a decision with regard to schools opening tomorrow at 7:45AM just to piss you off and ruin your entire schedule.

In conclusion, kiss my ass and eat shit.

Fairfax County Public Schools

Posted by: Dumb and Dumber ()
Date: January 07, 2015 04:24PM

This thread is dumb and dumberer.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.