HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sand storm on 66?
Posted by: When will it end ()
Date: December 24, 2008 06:50PM

Anyone else out last night on 66 between FFX Cnty Prkwy and Centreville and get hit by the Sand Storm that the County was so nice in dropping on the road, when 66 was bone dry? I bet that cost a pretty penny and all for nothing. Didnt need to go to Las Vegas, the County gave us our own sand storm and my black car was dusted white this morning. A complete waste of tons of sand, maybe next time they will actually wait until we have something on the roads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sand storm on 66?
Posted by: tubby ()
Date: December 24, 2008 07:57PM

Are you saying that Fairfax County sanded I-66? Are you that ignorant?

VDOT is in charge of that stuff! The STATE, NOT THE COUNTY.....Virginia Department of Transportation is a STATE agency....in charge of maintaining almost ALL the roads in Virginia.

But neither the State or the County can win with clods like you. If there had been precipitation last night that froze and you ended up upside down in a ditch, you'd be on here bitching about that too.

Oh wait, maybe Jack Dale did it!

Posted by: VDOT ()
Date: December 24, 2008 07:57PM

Um, I'm pretty certain VDOT handles road maintenance and snow removal, not the county.

Date: December 24, 2008 08:17PM

Ok who gives a shit who handles it! Jesus, pull the candy cane out your ass and calm down.

Here let me rewrite it so as you dont have a fricken heart attack on Christmas Eve....

Anyone else out last night on 66 between FFX Cnty Prkwy and Centreville and get hit by the Sand Storm that the VDOT was so nice in dropping on the road, when 66 was bone dry? I bet that cost a pretty penny and all for nothing. Didnt need to go to Las Vegas, VDOT gave us our own sand storm and my black car was dusted white this morning. A complete waste of tons of sand, maybe next time they will actually wait until we have something on the roads.

Hope your happy and relaxed now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 08:18PM by When will it end.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 24, 2008 08:45PM

When will it end Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok who gives a shit who handles it! Jesus, pull
> the candy cane out your ass and calm down.
>
> Here let me rewrite it so as you dont have a
> fricken heart attack on Christmas Eve....
>
> Anyone else out last night on 66 between FFX Cnty
> Prkwy and Centreville and get hit by the Sand
> Storm that the VDOT was so nice in dropping on the
> road, when 66 was bone dry? I bet that cost a
> pretty penny and all for nothing. Didnt need to go
> to Las Vegas, VDOT gave us our own sand storm and
> my black car was dusted white this morning. A
> complete waste of tons of sand, maybe next time
> they will actually wait until we have something on
> the roads.
>
> Hope your happy and relaxed now.

tubby is right, if they hadn't sanded and salted, and it did snow or rain/sleet, you'd be complaining about that just as much.

In Germany, as a rule, based on a strict safety guideline, anytime the temperature falls below a certain point, they salt and sand the highways. They hit bridges and overpasses at a slightly higher temperature. Ever heard of black ice?

Would you rather they wait until a certain number of cars have discovered the patches of ice by careening into each other, possibly injuring or killing some travelers? What number is just right for you? 5 cars? 10 cars? Should they only drop sand and salt if there is half an inch of snow on the ground, or some percentage of the roadway is covered with ice?

Years ago, VDOT didn't bother unless it was a full-on storm. I'm glad they have started to adopt the more pragmatic and safety conscious German model. I always felt much safer going 130 mph on a highway in Germany than I do going 60 mph on a highway in this country, and especially in this area. (though that is mostly due to the difference in driver skill and attentiveness between the two countries.)

I never heard you complaining about the costs of a preemptive war against a country that turned out didn't have weapons of mass destruction, but you'll complain about a preemptive safety measure on the very roadway you drive, that is actually directly serving your safety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 08:48PM by Bob.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 24, 2008 10:24PM

When will it end Wrote:
>> Ok who gives a shit who handles it?

Yeah, that's true, it doesn't matter who handles it, just blame the county for it, that makes sense. Good point.

And as far as the road treatment is concerned.... I travelled up Route 15 this morning into PA. Everything north of Frederick, MD was pouring down freezing rain. Road conditions were treacherous, and I saw 3 accidents. Slush and ice everywhere. Had that storm moved 40 miles to the south, Fairfax would've been covered by a sheet of ice, and the shit would have really hit the fan if VDOT didn't treat the roads ahead of time. They were doing what they were supposed to be doing by salting the roads.

Posted by: got your back ()
Date: December 24, 2008 10:43PM

Actually, if your car was dusted white this morning, it was probably salt and not sand. In your defense... temps last night in that area were in the mid to upper 30's and were on the rise throughout the evening. Little hard for for treacherous snow and ice to form at these temps.

Date: December 24, 2008 11:36PM

BOB....
If there were ice on the roads last night, I wouldnt have been dumb enough to travel on them, so therefore I would have nothing to complain about. What is it with you and the war too? In my last two posts you've mentioned the war, is there something your waiting for me to say about it???
Anyone who has lived in Fairfax also knows that VDOT cant get it right either way. We get 6" and they dont do anything to the roads, but sit on the side of the road and watch while cars are loosing control right in front of them and here we get NOTHING and they decide to treat the roads.

Got your back.... thank you :)

Date: December 24, 2008 11:41PM

When will it end Wrote:
> BOB....
> If there were ice on the roads last night, I
> wouldnt have been dumb enough to travel on them,
> so therefore I would have nothing to complain
> about. What is it with you and the war too? In my
> last two posts you've mentioned the war, is there
> something your waiting for me to say about it???
>
> Anyone who has lived in Fairfax also knows that
> VDOT cant get it right either way. We get 6" and
> they dont do anything to the roads, but sit on the
> side of the road and watch while cars are loosing
> control right in front of them and here we get
> NOTHING and they decide to treat the roads.
>
> Got your back.... thank you :)

When have they sat on the side of the road doing nothing? Come on. I know the local news made a big deal when we had a small storm over a holiday weekend a few years back, but that wasn't a case of VDOT sitting on the side of the road doing nothing, that was a case of not having anything mobilized in the first place.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 25, 2008 12:35AM

I see them sitting there doing nothing all the time on rt 28. It's basically the only road I drive on regularly nowadays besides 606.

Date: December 25, 2008 02:09AM

WHAT?????? Am I dreaming, awake, stunned, confused. Could it possibly be that Bob and Reston actually did NOT respond with something nasty? and is Reston being sarcastic or actually agree'ing with me on the sitting around because i'm really confused about that response. Is it possible that both you may be a little bit genuine with a regular response? or is the joke on me? If so.... ok you got me.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 25, 2008 07:59PM

WWIE, pleae slit your wrists ASAP.

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: December 25, 2008 10:16PM

SANDSTORM????

Date: December 26, 2008 02:01AM

Awakened Wrote:
> SANDSTORM????
>
>

Oh the nostalgia. That song takes me all the way back to 2001! Or was it 2002? It's so long ago, I'm not sure.

Date: December 26, 2008 02:15PM

Wow Bob...
I had you all wrong. I had no idea..

Posted by: tumbleweed ()
Date: December 27, 2008 07:23PM

The only said thing about this is the storm did not swoop down and blow "when will it end" away :(

Posted by: du ma mi ()
Date: December 27, 2008 10:58PM

DARUDE was there????!?!?!!???? ticketmaster sez nothing

Date: December 28, 2008 01:36AM

The only "said" thing? Oh Tumbleweed.... get it right. That was a very unique and thought out response as well... thank you

Posted by: You're Such a Troll, Wwie ()
Date: December 28, 2008 12:06PM

Date: December 30, 2008 11:24PM

Awakened...
I got one better for you..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjmd032Z-M

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.