HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Somebody Was Looking for a Strange Fruit, I found this in Seneca Park by the Potomac Yesterday
Posted by: Mystery Fruit ()
Date: September 28, 2014 01:41PM

Don't know what this is but I think somebody was looking for it.

Seneca trial in Great Falls. Take the gravelly road trial down to the river. After the first turn by the river make a left on to a dirt trail. Turn right and follow the path be the river. There are a lot of mystery fruits.
Attachments:
fruity (2).jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Somebody Was Looking for a Strange Fruit, I found this in Seneca Park by the Potomac Yesterday
Posted by: Enjoy! ()
Date: September 28, 2014 01:43PM

Why, that's a fecalicitus momendarus, better know as a shittermelon.

Re: Somebody Was Looking for a Strange Fruit, I found this in Seneca Park by the Potomac Yesterday
Posted by: Fruity ()
Date: September 28, 2014 01:44PM

Better size pic. Sorry I was really drunk when I posted the first pic.
Attachments:
fruity-3.jpg

Posted by: in the know.. ()
Date: September 28, 2014 01:55PM

Its a galaxy fruit, telling you its time to upgrade your s2.

Posted by: go bigger! ()
Date: September 28, 2014 02:04PM

Need a bigger pic.

That one didn't quite use all of my data plan for the month.

Posted by: Paw Paw ()
Date: September 28, 2014 03:00PM

It's a paw paw.

Posted by: Paw paw ()
Date: September 28, 2014 04:10PM

Paw paws are delicious. Has a banana custardy taste.

Posted by: J. Reb ()
Date: September 28, 2014 05:14PM

Only a Yankee wouldn't recognize a paw paw.

Posted by: IT'S THEM!!!! ()
Date: September 28, 2014 05:51PM

Look, you fools. You're in danger. Can't you see? They're after you. They're after all of us. Our wives, our children, everyone. They're here already. YOU'RE NEXT!
Attachments:
3910a.jpg

Posted by: Paw Paws ()
Date: September 28, 2014 06:03PM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/09/29/140894570/the-pawpaw-foraging-for-americas-forgotten-fruit

So what the heck is a pawpaw?

Recently, I heard about a secret snack. Kayakers who paddle the waters near Washington, D.C., told me about a mango-like fruit that grows along the banks of the Potomac — a speckled and homely skin that hides a tasty treat.

A tropical-like fruit here, really? Yep. It's the only temperate member of a tropical family of trees. You can't buy the pawpaw in stores, so for years, the only way to eat them was straight from the tree.

More Tiny Desk Kitchen

A cow munches on grass at a Berryville, Va., farm.
Your Health
The Truth About Grass-Fed Beef
Cranberry bog
Your Health
Bow Down To The Medicinal Power Of Cranberries
A bee pollinates a wildflower.
Radio Pictures
Healing Honey And The New Queen Bee(keepers)
I was intrigued. So I decided to hunt for a pawpaw myself.

D.C. nature guide Matt Cohen showed me how to find them.

We took the Billy Goat Trail on the Maryland side of the Potomac River. "Wow," was the first word out of my mouth when I tasted one we found on our hike. It's sort of mango-meets-the-banana ... with a little hint of melon.

Although you may not have heard of it, the pawpaw has quite a history. Thomas Jefferson had pawpaws at Monticello. And when he was minister to France in 1786, he had pawpaw seeds shipped over to friends there. He probably wanted to impress his friends with something exotic from America.

Lewis and Clark wrote in their journals that they were quite fond of the pawpaw. At one point during their expedition in 1806, they relied on pawpaws when other provisions ran low. And from Michigan to West Virginia, people have even named towns and lakes after the pawpaw.

Posted by: ididthistomyself ()
Date: September 28, 2014 06:57PM

How do you know when they are ripe? I know where there is a stash of them.

Posted by: MiamiRiverRat ()
Date: September 28, 2014 07:27PM

ididthistomyself Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do you know when they are ripe? I know where
> there is a stash of them.

I used to take a small paper bag with me while squirrel
hunting in Ohio and I'd find plenty.

Here you go. Don't tell anybody where your stash is. :)
You can also Google paw paw recipes for some good ones.

http://www.messyandpicky.com/index.php/2009/10/01/paw-paw/

Posted by: Peter Paw Paw ()
Date: September 28, 2014 08:28PM

Why is it that such a unique US friut is not cultivated and exploited on giant plantations?

Can you plant one of the fruits and grow a paw paw tree?

Can I dig up a paw paw sapling and transplant it in my yard?

Does it attract any undesirable bugs, wildlife or ethnicities?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Awesome ()
Date: September 28, 2014 08:45PM

Posted by: 9Ttnp ()
Date: September 28, 2014 08:47PM

Peter Paw Paw Wrote:
> Why is it that such a unique US friut is not
> cultivated and exploited on giant plantations?
>
> Can you plant one of the fruits and grow a paw paw
> tree?
>
> Can I dig up a paw paw sapling and transplant it
> in my yard?
>
> Does it attract any undesirable bugs, wildlife or
> ethnicities?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Answers, in order:

- The fruit spoils quickly and processing en masse wouldn't be feasible*

- Yes

- Sure, but it will die unless your yard is a wet, well-drained loamy hill next to water

- They smell when they rot and, yes, attract bugs

* I heard a rumor that some hippie possibly in the local "farmers" market world sells paw paws. My hunch is that he's not cultivating them, but picking a handful and selling them to unknowing yuppie trash.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: September 28, 2014 11:46PM

Peter Paw Paw Wrote:
> Why is it that such a unique US friut is not
> cultivated and exploited on giant plantations?
>
> Can you plant one of the fruits and grow a paw paw
> tree?
>
> Can I dig up a paw paw sapling and transplant it
> in my yard?
>
> Does it attract any undesirable bugs, wildlife or
> ethnicities?
>
> Thanks in advance.

They only last a very short time, so Large market wont work, I bought 2 trees from a nursery, (special order) and am now just getting some fruit, next year I should have a larger crop. The seeds could take 10 years to produce fruit and even then you need Beetles and flies to pollinate the blossom, Bees are not attracted to the Rotten meat smell of the Blossom. When they get soft (think over ripe peach) they are ripe. They are also very similar to Sasafras trees, they live in the under canopy of a forest. Paw Paw West Virginia was named after them. As for attracting anything no, its a treat only few know about but in suburbia many don't know what a Fruit Tree is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 11:47PM by Burke Brat.

Posted by: local... ()
Date: September 30, 2014 06:40PM

Yup we folks from 'round here know about the secret pawpaw...pa said don't tell them ignorant Yankees about 'em too. My buddy and I were catfishing one day, snacking on some pawpaw, the amigos saw us eat some, came back the next week and all the fruit from nearby trees was gone. Pa was wrong I guess. Love me some pawpaw though too much can make ya poo. Bye now y'all...

Posted by: Bud Hoal... ()
Date: September 30, 2014 08:15PM

Sorry to disappoint, but you found my left nut. I'd like it returned. Please keep it our of your mouth. That's not my thing.

Posted by: Invasion ()
Date: September 30, 2014 09:44PM

+1000

That is the first thing that popped into my head. Invasion of the body snatchers..

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.