HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Illegal immigrants: Where are they now? Local Leaders pushing Feds to say whether they’ve deported – or released -- an estimated 7,000 undocumented residents arrested by local police since 2008.
Posted by: Illegal Immigration is ILLEGAL! ()
Date: July 08, 2014 07:55AM

Illegal immigrants: Where are they now?
http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/illegal-immigrants-where-are-they-now/article_341c311a-060f-11e4-b933-0019bb2963f4.html

Illegal immigration is once again a hot topic in Prince William County.

Board of supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart wants to force federal officials to say whether they’ve deported – or released -- an estimated 7,000 undocumented residents arrested by local police since 2008.

Stewart, R-At Large, has asked the board to vote this month on sending a Freedom of Information Act request to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to determine the whereabouts of people who have been arrested in the county and later turned over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.

Federal officials have so far refused to share that information with the county. But at least some of those arrested have returned to the area, Stewart said, because about 700 have been re-arrested by police for other crimes over the years.

Stewart acknowledges that revisiting the immigration issue will likely remind residents of the county’s past controversial efforts to crack down on undocumented residents – some of which made national headlines. But he says the measure has nothing to do with racial profiling or any attempt to actively seek out recent immigrants.

Instead, Stewart says, the county simply wants to follow up on the whereabouts of arrestees suspected of being in the country illegally.

“I certainly don’t want to refight those battles, but this is a public safety concern first and foremost,” Stewart said. “What we’re trying to do is find out what the government did with these illegal alien criminals, some of whom are fairly dangerous.”

According to the 2013 Prince William County crime report, 496 people who lacked sufficient documents to live in the U.S. were arrested for crimes last year. That’s about 1 percent of the total number of county arrests.

The majority of those arrests – about 85 percent – were for traffic and misdemeanor charges while about 15 percent were for felonies, according to the report.

Some of Stewart’s fellow supervisors said they are surprised Stewart is raising the issue now and wondered aloud if the effort might be rooted in politics -- now that illegal immigration is once again making national headlines.

Supervisor Maureen Caddigan, R-Potomac, said Stewart’s proposal seemed a bit “out of the blue.” She also wonders whether it’s worth the effort.

“I have some questions about it,” she said. “We did this once before it gave us a black eye, and I guess my question is, with ICE, what is the FOIA going to cost?... Is it going to do any good? I guess I was really wondering what the purpose is.”

Caddigan called the recent arrival of unaccompanied immigrant children, thousands of whom are being detained in Arizona and Texas, “heartbreaking” and said more needs to be done to secure the nation’s borders. But she said immigration is a federal issue and not something the county has power to do anything about.

“We have people who are elected to work on those types of things,” she said. “I just don’t know why it’s on our level.”

Supervisor John Jenkins, D-Neabsco, said he hasn’t decided how he will vote and said he needs more information.

“I’m trying to figure out what damage is being done by status quo, I guess,” Jenkins said. “I don’t have enough information to say right now, but I think we should get more support from the federal government on identifying and treating the problem.”

Supervisor Pete Candland, R-Gainesville, said he’ll likely support the proposal simply because he’s always in favor of gathering more information.

But Candland also said he hopes to hear from law-enforcement officials about the need for the measure and whether there’s been a recent uptick in crime committed by undocumented residents.

“I hope [the measure] is rooted in some sort of facts, that there’s some sort of indication this will have a practical effect,” Candland said. “And I guess the FOIA will let us know.”

If the board approves the measure, it will mark the third time the county has attempted to obtain information on those referred to ICE as part of an agreement the county has had with ICE since 2008.

The program enables jail officers to check arrestees’ immigration status against an ICE database. If they are found to lack proper documents, their cases are referred to ICE. It’s unclear, however, whether the arrestees are physically transferred to ICE custody. Stewart said transfers are made to ICE after arrestees’ cases are adjudicated by local courts.

The county filed its first and second FOIAs with DHS in 2010 after Benedictine nun Denise Mosier was killed by a vehicle driven by Carlos A. Martinelly-Montano, then 24, who was determined to have entered the U.S. illegally from Bolivia with his family in 1996, when he was about 10 years old.

Martinelly-Montano, who was convicted on charges related to the fatal crash and is serving a prison term, had been convicted on drunk driving charges twice before the wreck. After the second conviction in 2008, Prince William County officials referred his case to ICE officials. Martinelly-Montano was a awaiting a deportation hearing when the crash occurred.

The county learned the details of Martinelly-Montano’s immigration status because of a FOIA request issued in 2010 for his “alien file,” which detailed how DHS followed up with his case following the 2008 arrest.

A second FOIA request was made for the alien files of every person detained from Prince William County between Jan. 1, 2008 and Nov. 22, 2010, the date the FOIA was issued, according to information provided by Prince William County Attorney Angela Horan’s office.

Federal officials initially refused to share Martinelly-Montano’s file, so the county filed a lawsuit and won a court order forcing DHS to turn over the file.

DHS responded to the second FOIA in February 2011, but only after county officials sought assistance from members of Congress.

But the information provided, a heavily redacted DHS spreadsheet, did not contain the information county officials were looking for. So the county filed a second lawsuit in U.S. District Court that was eventually dismissed when the judge directed county attorneys to exhaust “all administrative remedies” with DHS first, Horan wrote.

Stewart says he suspects the new effort will also eventually end up in court. According to Horan, the previous legal effort cost about $1,500 in county attorneys’ time, and the new effort would likely be similar.

“This effort would likely be in that ballpark,” Horan wrote. “However, costs could be higher, depending on the amount of staff resources ultimately required.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Illegal immigrants: Where are they now? Local Leaders pushing Feds to say whether they’ve deported – or released -- an estimated 7,000 undocumented residents arrested by local police since 2008.
Posted by: AMERICA IS DONE ()
Date: July 08, 2014 10:26AM

Lets just rename America to..............

THE UNITED STATES OF CENTRAL AMERICA

This country is done....finished......kaput!

Re: Illegal immigrants: Where are they now? Local Leaders pushing Feds to say whether they’ve deported – or released -- an estimated 7,000 undocumented residents arrested by local police since 2008.
Posted by: No Hablo Engles ()
Date: July 08, 2014 12:35PM

But they are being given court dates. Clearly they will return for their hearing and not stay in the US illegally because they respect the rule of law so much.

Posted by: Concerned Tax Payer ()
Date: July 08, 2014 02:08PM

The problem is with the court system.

Anyone who cannot show proof of legal residence should be forced to await their day in immigration court by returning to their own country where they are legal residents. They can come back for their court date. Illegal workers definitely should not be allowed to continue their crimes by continuing to work the illegally obtained jobs. Alleged thieves are not allowed to hang on to their loot while awaiting their day in court, illegal workers should be treated exactly the same. Alleged drug dealers do not get to hold on to their cocaine or heroin until their day in court and alleged illegal workers should not be allowed to hold onto the illegally obtained jobs until their day in court.

That is a logical and reasonable approach to the problem and would eliminate the problem of over crowding the facilities and courts. That and mandatory E-Verify for ALL employers is the kind of reform we need. We definitely do not need a 1300 page law that has not even been read by Congress.

With all of those illegal aliens back where they belong, there would be plenty of facilities to handle the children. That would not deprive the illegal aliens of due process.

Posted by: Check this out ()
Date: July 08, 2014 02:10PM

Illegal Immigration is ILLEGAL! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Illegal immigrants: Where are they now?
> http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/illegal-immigr
> ants-where-are-they-now/article_341c311a-060f-11e4
> -b933-0019bb2963f4.html
>
> Illegal immigration is once again a hot topic in
> Prince William County.
>
> Board of supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart wants
> to force federal officials to say whether
> they’ve deported – or released -- an estimated
> 7,000 undocumented residents arrested by local
> police since 2008.
>
> Stewart, R-At Large, has asked the board to vote
> this month on sending a Freedom of Information Act
> request to the U.S. Department of Homeland
> Security to determine the whereabouts of people
> who have been arrested in the county and later
> turned over to U.S. Immigration and Customs
> Enforcement officials.
>
> Federal officials have so far refused to share
> that information with the county. But at least
> some of those arrested have returned to the area,
> Stewart said, because about 700 have been
> re-arrested by police for other crimes over the
> years.
>
> Stewart acknowledges that revisiting the
> immigration issue will likely remind residents of
> the county’s past controversial efforts to crack
> down on undocumented residents – some of which
> made national headlines. But he says the measure
> has nothing to do with racial profiling or any
> attempt to actively seek out recent immigrants.
>
> Instead, Stewart says, the county simply wants to
> follow up on the whereabouts of arrestees
> suspected of being in the country illegally.
>
> “I certainly don’t want to refight those
> battles, but this is a public safety concern first
> and foremost,” Stewart said. “What we’re
> trying to do is find out what the government did
> with these illegal alien criminals, some of whom
> are fairly dangerous.”
>
> According to the 2013 Prince William County crime
> report, 496 people who lacked sufficient documents
> to live in the U.S. were arrested for crimes last
> year. That’s about 1 percent of the total number
> of county arrests.
>
> The majority of those arrests – about 85 percent
> – were for traffic and misdemeanor charges while
> about 15 percent were for felonies, according to
> the report.
>
> Some of Stewart’s fellow supervisors said they
> are surprised Stewart is raising the issue now and
> wondered aloud if the effort might be rooted in
> politics -- now that illegal immigration is once
> again making national headlines.
>
> Supervisor Maureen Caddigan, R-Potomac, said
> Stewart’s proposal seemed a bit “out of the
> blue.” She also wonders whether it’s worth the
> effort.
>
> “I have some questions about it,” she said.
> “We did this once before it gave us a black eye,
> and I guess my question is, with ICE, what is the
> FOIA going to cost?... Is it going to do any good?
> I guess I was really wondering what the purpose
> is.”
>
> Caddigan called the recent arrival of
> unaccompanied immigrant children, thousands of
> whom are being detained in Arizona and Texas,
> “heartbreaking” and said more needs to be done
> to secure the nation’s borders. But she said
> immigration is a federal issue and not something
> the county has power to do anything about.
>
> “We have people who are elected to work on those
> types of things,” she said. “I just don’t
> know why it’s on our level.”
>
> Supervisor John Jenkins, D-Neabsco, said he
> hasn’t decided how he will vote and said he
> needs more information.
>
> “I’m trying to figure out what damage is being
> done by status quo, I guess,” Jenkins said. “I
> don’t have enough information to say right now,
> but I think we should get more support from the
> federal government on identifying and treating the
> problem.”
>
> Supervisor Pete Candland, R-Gainesville, said
> he’ll likely support the proposal simply because
> he’s always in favor of gathering more
> information.
>
> But Candland also said he hopes to hear from
> law-enforcement officials about the need for the
> measure and whether there’s been a recent uptick
> in crime committed by undocumented residents.
>
> “I hope [the measure] is rooted in some sort of
> facts, that there’s some sort of indication this
> will have a practical effect,” Candland said.
> “And I guess the FOIA will let us know.”
>
> If the board approves the measure, it will mark
> the third time the county has attempted to obtain
> information on those referred to ICE as part of an
> agreement the county has had with ICE since 2008.
>
> The program enables jail officers to check
> arrestees’ immigration status against an ICE
> database. If they are found to lack proper
> documents, their cases are referred to ICE. It’s
> unclear, however, whether the arrestees are
> physically transferred to ICE custody. Stewart
> said transfers are made to ICE after arrestees’
> cases are adjudicated by local courts.
>
> The county filed its first and second FOIAs with
> DHS in 2010 after Benedictine nun Denise Mosier
> was killed by a vehicle driven by Carlos A.
> Martinelly-Montano, then 24, who was determined to
> have entered the U.S. illegally from Bolivia with
> his family in 1996, when he was about 10 years
> old.
>
> Martinelly-Montano, who was convicted on charges
> related to the fatal crash and is serving a prison
> term, had been convicted on drunk driving charges
> twice before the wreck. After the second
> conviction in 2008, Prince William County
> officials referred his case to ICE officials.
> Martinelly-Montano was a awaiting a deportation
> hearing when the crash occurred.
>
> The county learned the details of
> Martinelly-Montano’s immigration status because
> of a FOIA request issued in 2010 for his “alien
> file,” which detailed how DHS followed up with
> his case following the 2008 arrest.
>
> A second FOIA request was made for the alien files
> of every person detained from Prince William
> County between Jan. 1, 2008 and Nov. 22, 2010, the
> date the FOIA was issued, according to information
> provided by Prince William County Attorney Angela
> Horan’s office.
>
> Federal officials initially refused to share
> Martinelly-Montano’s file, so the county filed a
> lawsuit and won a court order forcing DHS to turn
> over the file.
>
> DHS responded to the second FOIA in February 2011,
> but only after county officials sought assistance
> from members of Congress.
>
> But the information provided, a heavily redacted
> DHS spreadsheet, did not contain the information
> county officials were looking for. So the county
> filed a second lawsuit in U.S. District Court that
> was eventually dismissed when the judge directed
> county attorneys to exhaust “all administrative
> remedies” with DHS first, Horan wrote.
>
> Stewart says he suspects the new effort will also
> eventually end up in court. According to Horan,
> the previous legal effort cost about $1,500 in
> county attorneys’ time, and the new effort would
> likely be similar.
>
> “This effort would likely be in that
> ballpark,” Horan wrote. “However, costs could
> be higher, depending on the amount of staff
> resources ultimately required.”

Melvin Noe Sanchez-Izaguirre, a citizen of El Salvador and Honduras, was arrested last year in Manassas on an attempted murder charge after he had already been removed once from the U.S. He has since been deported again. Photo credit: Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Attachments:
53baf972d60fa_preview-300.jpg

Posted by: Honestly ()
Date: July 08, 2014 05:06PM

Law-abiding U.S. citizens are the victims of a political regime that has contempt for the rule of law. Laws are openly defied by illegal immigrants and political leaders alike. We just had a president, whose one real job was as a "constitutional scholar," proclaim that, if the representatives that citizens elected did not pass immigration reform, he would act on his own. Is that really how our constitutional government works? How can liberals support this assertion of power? I've never seen an answer to any of these questions.

Posted by: Tax payer ()
Date: July 08, 2014 07:57PM

I wish Fairfax would start checking immigration status. Just as Prince William County did.

Sick of having my tax dollars pay for services that I can not even afford myself!

Posted by: Right winger ()
Date: July 09, 2014 07:30AM

Where are they now? Getting freebies from the govt and eventually will be voting if Supreme Dictator 0bama gets his way.

Posted by: Nancy Pelosi ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:00AM

Aren't we all Americans?

Posted by: dKHnw ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:01AM

Nancy Pelosi Wrote:
> Aren't we all Americans?

North Americans, Central Americans, or South Americans?

Posted by: .... ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:12AM

Attachments:
1404857645000-Chicago.jpg

Prince William votes to seek federal info on illegal immigrants
Posted by: More Info ()
Date: July 09, 2014 01:58PM

Prince William votes to seek federal info on illegal immigrants
http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/prince-william-votes-to-seek-federal-info-on-illegal-immigrants/article_7e8241d8-0770-11e4-88d7-0019bb2963f4.html

The Prince William Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to seek the whereabouts of an estimated 7,000 people county police have turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials since 2008.

Supervisors approved a motion to file a Freedom of Information request with the federal Department of Homeland Security, and move to a lawsuit if necessary.

Chairman Corey Stewart proposed the motion, which passed with a 5-1 vote. John Jenkins, D-Neabsco, cast the dissenting vote and Maureen Caddigan, R-Potomac, and Michael May, R-Occoquan, were absent from the meeting.

Stewart said county officials have tried many times to get information about the whereabouts of arrestees thought to be in the country illegally, but federal officials have not responded to their requests.

“I think that’s a fair thing to get from DHS,” Stewart said at Tuesday’s meeting. “They have refused, over the years, all of our attempts to get that done.”

Tuesday’s motion authorizes the county attorney to file a Freedom of Information Act request to get that information. Before voting, supervisors amended Stewart’s original motion, which also authorized the county attorney to file a lawsuit seeking the information, if the FOIA request is denied.

The county attorney will now need authorization from the board to file such a lawsuit. The supervisors also added a paragraph to the motion, directing Stewart to send a letter to Prince William County’s congressional delegation, seeking their help in the matter.

In casting his dissenting vote, Jenkins said he did not want to spend the county government’s money on filing the information request.
Attachments:
50fcc17a74d8d_image.jpg

Posted by: Reina ()
Date: September 25, 2014 07:35AM

ILLEGAL isn't a Race, ... It's a CRIME*!

FIRE DEMOCRATS 2014, ... IMPEACH OBAMA 2015!

1) Gary Peters – Michigan
2) Bruce Braley – Iowa
3) MARK PRYOR – Arkansas
4) MARK BEGICH – Alaska
5) Mary Landrieu – Louisiana
6) D_l_C_K Durbin – Illinois
7) Jeff Merkley – Oregon
8) KAY HAGAN – North Carolina
9) Chris C * 0 * 0 * N * S -- Delaware
10) Brian S_C_H_A_T_Z – Hawaii
11) Ed Markey – Massachusetts
12) Jack Reed – Rhode Island
13) Mark Warner – Virginia
14) AL (Clown) FRANKEN -- Minnesota
15) Mark Udall - Colorado

OBAMA is the CRIMINAL ... these LEFTIST PIGS supported!

“I promise 100% transparency in my administration.”.
“I promise NO NEW TAXES on a family making less than $250K a year.”.
“I will allow 5 days of public comment before I sign any bills.”.
“I will remove earmarks before I sign any bill.”.
“I will end Income Tax for seniors making less than $50K a year.”.
“I’ll put the Health Care negotiations on CSPAN so everyone can see who is at the table!”
“I’ll have no lobbyists in my administration.
I'll close Guantanamo Bay.
I'll resign if I don't cut the deficit in half by the end of four years.
I believe marriage is between one man and one woman.
I won't seek re-election unless unemployment falls below 5%.
I'll unite the people of this great country.
“If you like your insurance you can keep it”
“If you like your doctor you can keep him
The ACA will save most family $2500.00 a year
etc.etc. and so on...
PLEASE REPOST, ... TAKE YOUR COUNTRY BACK!

Posted by: Pay up Fairfax ()
Date: September 25, 2014 07:41AM

Waiting to here from the liberal government workers on this thread... waaaycism waaaycism.

Yeah like government workers will pay taxes to support this latest invasion of poverty... Do you morons understand that the private sector has to support you, just like it has to carry this round of the world's invading poor?

Posted by: let them eat cake ()
Date: September 25, 2014 08:31AM

Nancy Pelosi Wrote:
> Aren't we all Americans?

Yes and we all worth 70 million dollars like Nancy and her husband. Our leaders are so out of touch with us its unbelievable.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.