HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Braddock Rd
Posted by: Duff Man ()
Date: August 14, 2014 07:40PM

There looked like a big wreck on Braddock East bound just before Fairfax County Parkway. About 10 cop cars/bikes with Braddock closed in that stretch eastbound. Driving westbound it looked like a bad wreck with a truck and a motorcycle. Anybody have pics or details?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Braddock Rd
Posted by: the details ()
Date: August 14, 2014 07:43PM

I was driving westbound on Braddock when the accident happened. It was a large wreck, there were probably 9 - 11 cop vehicles. Appears to be a truck and motorcycle.

Posted by: JustSoYouKnow ()
Date: August 14, 2014 07:47PM

** Fairfax County **
Fairfax Station
Box: 4006
Channel: 4D
Call: Accident with Injury / Motorcyclist
Address: Braddock Road under Fairfax County Parkway
Details: E422B On-Scene with a motorcyclist down. Fairfax 1 en-route for transport of one patient
Time: 1829

Posted by: Jaxs ()
Date: August 14, 2014 11:13PM

Pictures
Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: Accident ()
Date: August 15, 2014 09:52AM

Another motorcycle wreck. I saw the guy getting loaded into a stretcher. Bike was in pretty bad shape.

Posted by: m7duJ ()
Date: August 15, 2014 10:56AM

Accident Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another motorcycle wreck. I saw the guy getting
> loaded into a stretcher. Bike was in pretty bad
> shape.

He didn't make it.

Police are investigating a fatal crash that occurred on Braddock Road near the ramp to Fairfax County Parkway on Thursday, August 14.

A 1999 Honda motorcycle was traveling eastbound on Braddock Road, making a lefthand turn to exit onto the Fairfax County Parkway at around 6:30 p.m. As the driver turned, he collided with a 2004 Dodge van that was traveling westbound on Braddock Road. The motorcyclist, Edy Jimenez-Balderrama, 20, of Manassas was flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital where he later died. The driver of the van was not injured.

The crash reconstruction unit is continuing to investigate the crash. No charges have been placed.

Sucks that the guy died. But trying to cut off a van, whether it's speeding or not, when you're on a motorcycle is a bad idea.

Posted by: insurancey ()
Date: August 15, 2014 11:03AM

Make a mistake in a car - your insurance goes up. Make a mistake on a motorcycle - you die. Its why I stopped riding. Too many close calls and it doesnt matter if its your fault or theirs as you end up dead either way...

rip and prayers for the relatives.

Date: August 15, 2014 11:49AM

I can't tell who was at fault, but the crash was in the middle of the intersection and it looks like he was turning off the parkway onto Braddock, so it sounds like someone ran a red light.

It's too bad he died. 2 fatalities within 24 hours. Makes me want to get a car ASAP.

Posted by: Left hand turns ()
Date: August 15, 2014 11:59AM

Left hand turns are dangerous. Most cars after an accident say they never saw the motorcycle turning. It is not worth your life to dive a motorcycle in Noca.

Posted by: jerry mcmansion ()
Date: August 15, 2014 12:50PM

Accident Wrote:
> I can't tell who was at fault, but the crash was
> in the middle of the intersection and it looks
> like he was turning off the parkway onto Braddock
> so it sounds like someone ran a red light.
>
> It's too bad he died. 2 fatalities within 24
> hours. Makes me want to get a car ASAP.

Read the article, it says the motorcycle was turning from Braddock eastbound ONTO the parkway. So either he did not yield to an oncoming minivan on green, had an arrow and minivan ran a red, or possibly the motorcycle ran a red...can't remember how this intersection is configured exactly. As stated, right or wrong he is dead which is why I won't ride.

Posted by: trololollo ()
Date: August 15, 2014 01:07PM

Taking a left to go south on the parkway. Betting the light was turning red and he thought the van as stopping.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.828391,-77.367812,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDIi-WK2KvsgFPqZWlqvs8w!2e0

Date: August 15, 2014 01:15PM

jerry mcmansion Wrote:
> Accident Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't tell who was at fault, but the crash
> was
> > in the middle of the intersection and it looks
> > like he was turning off the parkway onto
> Braddock
> > so it sounds like someone ran a red light.
> >
> > It's too bad he died. 2 fatalities within 24
> > hours. Makes me want to get a car ASAP.
>
> Read the article, it says the motorcycle was
> turning from Braddock eastbound ONTO the parkway.
> So either he did not yield to an oncoming minivan
> on green, had an arrow and minivan ran a red, or
> possibly the motorcycle ran a red...can't remember
> how this intersection is configured exactly. As
> stated, right or wrong he is dead which is why I
> won't ride.

Good call. I had it reversed. There is no green arrow there so your guess about him cutting off a minivan is probably correct.

Posted by: Jhe7k ()
Date: August 15, 2014 01:16PM

trololollo Wrote:
> Taking a left to go south on the parkway. Betting
> the light was turning red and he thought the van
> as stopping.
>
> https://www.google.com/maps/@38.828391,-77.367812,
> 3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDIi-WK2KvsgFPq
> ZWlqvs8w!2e0

No, he was going eastbound. Therefore the only way he could've been making a left turn to go on to the parkway was if he had turned at the Mott Center entrance. And the left turn lanes there are signalized, so someone had to've blown a red light.

Posted by: accident ()
Date: August 15, 2014 01:16PM

cutting off a van* not a minivan

Date: August 15, 2014 01:24PM

Something doesn't add up in that article. If he was eastbound then he would have had to make a right turn to get on the parkway at that intersection.

The bike was strewn about in the middle of the westbound lane. So if he was going eastbound, the van might have been turning left onto the parkway. Or the motorcyclist was going westbound and turning left onto the parkway.

The intersection to turn left onto the parkway while eastbound is at the next light, which is about a 75-100 yards from where the crash occurred.

Regardless I still have no idea who was at fault and it is definitely dangerous to ride around here.

Posted by: accident edit ()
Date: August 15, 2014 01:25PM

I WISH I COULD EDIT MY POSTS

Something doesn't add up in that article. If he was eastbound then he would have had to make a right turn to get on the parkway at that intersection.

The bike was strewn about in the middle of the eastbound lane. So if he was going east, the van might have been turning left onto the parkway and cut him off. Or the motorcyclist was going west and turning left onto the parkway and cut off the van.

The intersection to turn left onto the parkway while eastbound is at the next light, which is about a 75-100 yards from where the crash occurred.

Regardless I still have no idea who was at fault and it is definitely dangerous to ride around here.

Posted by: register, it takes 2 seconds ()
Date: August 15, 2014 01:27PM

Make an account and then you will be able to edit your posts

Posted by: saw the accident happen ()
Date: August 15, 2014 02:31PM

I actually witnessed the accident. The van driver was driving west on Braddock Rd and made a left turn to get on to Fairfax County Parkway. I don't know if the motorcyclist was also trying to get on to the parkway from eastbound Braddock (I thought he was going straight). But both drivers (van and motorcycle) were trying to beat a red light. The crash happened right as the light turned green for people exiting off the parkway onto Braddock. I don't think that either driver saw the other until right before the crash, when it was too late to prevent it.

I can't say who was more at fault as both drivers sped up to try to beat the red, but regardless it is a huge tragedy that someone had to lose their life for a really stupid mistake. Don't try to beat a red light, yellow means slow for a reason.

Posted by: econometrick ()
Date: August 15, 2014 02:58PM

sounds like it could have been avoided if the guy riding had safer habits, but it's yet another case of a vehicle taking a left into a biker that had the right of way. My guess is the guy on the bike saw the van, but not vice versa. The first instinct is to gun it and try to get around the front of the vehicle, it's almost always safer to slow and aim for the rear of the vehicle.

very sad regardless.

Posted by: leah ()
Date: August 15, 2014 05:54PM

Omg! My family and i saw this last night, my husband said it. Who ever was riding might not make it :( the motorcycle looked really bad.
RIP

Posted by: gabriela grajeda ()
Date: August 15, 2014 10:26PM

For the people that posted on here and saw the accident please contact the police. I think they're trying to figure out more information about what happened.

The motorcyclist was a part of the large Bolivian community here in northern virginia and it's hard to accept that he's gone. Please if you have more information about the accident step forward to the police or you can reply here.

Thank you so much.

Posted by: Silver Lining ()
Date: August 16, 2014 12:00PM

That's one less obnoxious noisemaker in the hood.

Posted by: Vanessa ()
Date: August 16, 2014 12:24PM

That was very rude to post about someone who passed away. I hope you realize that.

Posted by: Shananhan's Fake Teeth ()
Date: August 16, 2014 12:34PM

Sad story for all and my condolences. The problem with motorcycles is the fearlessness many young people have while driving. It may of been the vans fault, but why would both try to beat a light? Physics proves that the small object will be destroyed by the bigger object if they hit each other.

Posted by: anonymously ()
Date: August 16, 2014 05:45PM

I know the guy that passed away, he was a friend of mine and the article is wrong. He was going straight on braddock and the van was the one turning left and didn't yield for the motorcycle who had the right away.. My sincere condolences goes out to the Jiménez family. May Edy rest in peace.

Posted by: joey ()
Date: August 16, 2014 07:21PM

yeah i knew him. he went to school with me. they had a big get together for family and friends. that kid was always a chicken on the bike i never thought this would happen.
he was a really good kid. that one dude that never stops smiling no matter what. wont ever forget that.

RIP
Edy Jimenez-Balderrama

Posted by: kYVNj ()
Date: August 16, 2014 08:45PM

snart så är vi äska i vinden..

vila i frid

20-year-old motorcyclist dies in Fairfax crash
Posted by: Road Pizza! ()
Date: August 17, 2014 05:05AM

20-year-old motorcyclist dies in Fairfax crash
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/08/15/fatal-fairfax-motorcycle/14104777/

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (WUSA9) -- Police are investigating a fatal crash Thursday that killed a 20-year-old motorcyclist.

The accident happened on Braddock Road near the ramp to the Fairfax County Parkway around 6:30 p.m., police said. A 1999 Honda motorcycle was traveling eastbound on Braddock Road, making a lefthand turn to exit onto the Fairfax County Parkway and as the driver turned, he collided with a 2004 Dodge van that was traveling westbound on Braddock Road.

The motorcyclist, Edy Jimenez-Balderrama, 20, of Manassas was flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital where he later died. The driver of the van was not injured.

The crash reconstruction unit is continuing to investigate the crash. No charges have been placed.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text "TIP187" plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

Date: August 17, 2014 05:47PM

Was riding through today and I saw they put up a memorial for the kid.

I hope whoever saw the accident reports that the van turned out in front of the kid and that both parties were trying to get through a yellow/red.

Be safe.

Posted by: friend of Edy ()
Date: August 18, 2014 07:53AM

You are a stupid ass! Edy was a gift to this planet and had contributed in many ways during his brief stay here. Only an insignificant worthless jerk could make an ignorant comment like yours.

Posted by: tj dawson ()
Date: August 19, 2014 10:08PM

Your an ass hole.

Posted by: Dtf ()
Date: August 19, 2014 10:11PM

Silver Lining Wrote:
> That's one less obnoxious noisemaker in the hood.

+1 Biker now the rules. They risk their life and they know it. Drive a car, you'll live longer.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.