HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I-95 Express Lanes nearing completion
Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:47AM

I-95 Express Lanes nearing completion
Service on busy corridor expected to begin early next year
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140710/NEWS/140719934/1117/i-95-express-lanes-nearing-completion&template=fairfaxTimes

As the 95 Express Lanes near completion, the operators of the new high occupancy toll lanes are reminding drivers that there will be a significant change in the rules of the road when service begins next year.

All carpools that use the existing reversible HOV lanes on I-95 will need to get an E-ZPass Flex transponder to continue using the lanes, said Kevin Ginnerty, director of project delivery for Transurban. There will still be no charge for vehicles with three or more passengers, but drivers will need to have the transponder to use the lanes.

“The 95 Express Lanes will provide a faster, more predictable trip, but they also will bring a big change for drivers,” Ginnerty said.

In addition, Ginnerty said, the hybrid vehicles that are currently allowed to use the HOV lanes, no matter how many passengers are in the car, will be subjected to the same rules as other vehicles in the future.

Drivers without the minimum number of passengers can opt to pay a toll to use the Express Lanes. Toll rates vary depending on the number of drivers using the lanes at any given moment.

Construction on the 95 Express Lanes is about 80 percent complete, according to Susan Shaw, megaprojects director with the Virginia Department of Transportation.

The Express Lanes project is expanding capacity in the existing HOV lanes and extending the lanes south to Garrisonville Road in Stafford County. Work in the 30-mile corridor also included installing six new bridges, four flyover ramps and repairs to 15 bridges and ramps.

Construction is expected to wrap up by the end of this year, with the new toll lanes beginning service in early 2015.

In the meantime, drivers on the I-95 HOV and main lanes can continue to expect lane closures and delays during off-peak hours, said Walter Lewis, project director for Fluor-Lane 95.

Among other work that is yet to be completed, “we have 150 sign structures that need to get hoisted over the roadway,” Lewis said.

This will include some rolling 30-minute closures of the highway as signs are lifted across all the lanes, Lewis said.

“We try to make every effort to minimize impacts and keep traffic moving,” Shaw said.

For more information on construction-related closures and details about how the lanes will work, visit 95expresslanes.com
Attachments:
AR-140719934.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Opening of I-95 Express lanes could change your budget
Posted by: More info ()
Date: July 11, 2014 08:22AM

Opening of I-95 Express lanes could change your budget
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/virginia/2014/07/10/i-95-express-lanes-almost-complete/12500493/

SPRINGFIELD, Va. (WUSA9) -- If you are one of the thousands of commuters who drive I-95/395 in Virginia everyday your life will change dramatically in about six months. The new Express Lanes are set to open early next year and when they do, it could change your commuting pattern and your budget.

The Express lanes or High Occupancy Toll lanes are about 80 percent complete and over the next few months, drivers can expect to see numerous weekend and overnight closures on I-95 as workers put up the final signs, toll gantries and sound walls on the project, just in time for summer vacation traffic.

There will be three Express Lanes instead of two for part of the 29 miles. When they open the free ride during off peak hours

Sluggers, car pools, and vans can still ride for free if they have three people in the car. Less than three and and you have to pay for what the operator Transurban maintains will be a faster ride.

Mike McGurk, a spokesman for TransUrban which will operate the lanes says they expect the average commuter to use about 12 miles of the 29. That will cost on average of $6.00 to $8.00 dollars during rush hour.

Also disappearing with the new express lanes, the exemptions granted to those who drive Hybrid cars. They will now have to pay. The toll lanes will run from Garrisonville in Stafford County to the Arlington County line.

One distinct advantage will be the four flyovers which will allow drivers to get in and out of the Express lanes at more points along the way.

Go here to watch the news story:
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/virginia/2014/07/10/i-95-express-lanes-almost-complete/12500493/

Re: Opening of I-95 Express lanes could change your budget
Posted by: HOV ON Mode ()
Date: July 11, 2014 09:21AM

"Less than three and and you have to pay for what the operator Transurban maintains will be a faster ride."

Right, "pay". That always makes me laugh.

Re: I-95 Express Lanes nearing completion
Posted by: UM6VD ()
Date: July 11, 2014 09:30AM

I heard that some of the HOV lanes are being shut down during some of the projects.

Posted by: tgb ()
Date: July 11, 2014 10:41AM

I expect the main lanes will be heavier during non rush-hour times once the HOT lanes go into effect. Currently, during non-HOV times, they provide extra lanes that anybody can use.

Posted by: Gone for Good ()
Date: July 11, 2014 10:58AM

Jesus Christ, how do you people tolerate the traffic? Why do you?

I left the D.C. area 9 years ago, and the traffic was horrible then. I can't imagine how it must be today.

The happiest day of my life was, having settled on the sale of my overpriced colonial, was setting down I95 South with the D.C. area in my rear view mirror, leaving behind only my snow shovel, winter coat and gloves.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.