HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County supervisors raise concern about 'war on cars'
Posted by: War on Cars? ()
Date: June 24, 2014 07:21AM

Fairfax County supervisors raise concern about 'war on cars'
http://www.wtop.com/149/3644622/Fairfax-County-supervisors-raise-concern-about-war-on-cars

WASHINGTON -- Concerns from drivers that cyclists and pedestrians get too much attention and funding are often focused inside the Beltway. But now members of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors have concerns that the "war on cars" is nudging its way into the suburbs.

Supervisor Pat Herrity raised the issue as the board voted Tuesday to move a $100 million transportation bond issue onto the ballot this fall.

"The scope and extent of the $85 million in bike and pedestrian projects included in this referendum far exceed both the current and projected mode share, especially given that we've got so many unfunded projects that would relieve significant congestion," said Herrity, the Springfield district supervisor.

But county Transportation Director Tom Biesiadny says the bond money would cover smaller projects that it does not make sense to cover with federal, state or regional dollars.

"Some of those revenue sources have restrictions on them, and some of them actually complicate implementing the type of projects that are included in this bond referendum. For example, adding federal funds to pedestrian projects actually makes them significantly more expensive and increases the amount of time it takes to implement those projects," Biesiadny told the board.

Some of the statewide sources that were approved by the General Assembly are more geared to larger projects such as the I-66 and Route 28 interchange, which has received significant amount of funding from state sources and will continue to receive money from the new transportation funding bill for its implementation.

"Right now, there is adequate amount of money on that project to continue the design and also go into Phase 1 improvements," Biesiadny added.

Other members of the county board say they hear the demand for sidewalks, bike lanes and bike trails on a regular basis.

"Some of these projects just would not occur or… would cost a lot more money to occur [without this bond issue], and there's not a community meeting I go to where people don't raise pedestrian trail and sidewalk issues. It's an important thing in Fairfax County," Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay says.

"There is a $200 million need that exists out there. It's not like we sat around and came up with pedestrian projects we thought would be nice to do. They went through a long process, a detailed community involvement piece, and we ultimately agreed that we had a $200 million need for pedestrian improvements and this is a very strategic, good way to get moving on some of those things that our community really wants," McKay adds.

Supervisor Michael Frey challenged other members of the board to consider whether the bond issue will be approved.

"What we're saying to the public is that we want 85 percent of this bond to go to pedestrian projects. By the time you explain to them VDOT funds and the new transportation funding bill that was approved, and how much we're using with the C&I tax and everything else, they're gone, their eyes are glazed over, and they're looking at you like you're from outer space. And they're going to walk into the polls on Nov. 4, and they're going to see shall we encourage $100 million in debt, and $85 million of that is going to be for pedestrian projects, good luck on the education process, but I don't think that you can do it," the Sully district supervisor says.

Frey said most pedestrian projects are in the more urban area of the county.

"I think the message we're sending is that this is heavily prioritized for pedestrian projects at the expense of highway projects, and … I believe that it is to some extent at the expense of the western part of the county," he says.

But Board Chair Sharon Bulova says the reason the projects are concentrated in certain areas is based on need.

"We have new neighborhoods and we have new shopping centers and we have new extensions of roadway, and in those areas already there is existing pedestrian and bike facilities … some of the older areas of the county don't have that, some of the newer parts of the county the development community has built new neighborhoods and has included pedestrian and bike facilities on the newer roads because we require that," she says.

Braddock District Supervisor John Cook raised his own concerns about priorities, but noted the board is moving to fund projects already on priority lists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County supervisors raise concern about 'war on cars'
Posted by: pv9HN ()
Date: June 24, 2014 02:01PM

Well its obvious there are too many people in this area and the roads are not big enough to support them. I'm all for alternative means for travelling/commuting.

Posted by: Big Surprise ()
Date: June 24, 2014 02:27PM

Wow. Right-wingers standing up for gas-guzzlers, concrete, and pollution. What a total shock!

Posted by: UppNW ()
Date: June 24, 2014 02:58PM

you don't realize how much money $200 million is or who they are borrowing it from

$200 million for bike paths. your an idiot if you think a path costs that much

--------------------------
fx co is not even paying the interest on it's debt dumme

they are taking more loans while they are unable to pay back previous loans because

... they are insiders they don't care if you die stuck with bill in 2050 they will have jumped state to FL by then ...

Posted by: nvckj ()
Date: June 24, 2014 02:59PM

i could build and maintain quite a long bike path with $200 mil

don't fuck with me

Posted by: vGX9P ()
Date: June 24, 2014 02:59PM

i coudl build quite a long bike path and maintain it

WITH LESS THAN $1 million

Posted by: Fuck you douche ()
Date: June 24, 2014 03:07PM

nvckj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i could build and maintain quite a long bike path
> with $200 mil
>
> don't fuck with me

You must be a fuckin moron. And Fairfax is a huge ass place with a lot of infrastructure needs. Right of way costs money. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than a road interchange at 100 million each fuck face.

(R)etard you are

Posted by: myob ()
Date: June 25, 2014 07:39AM

I live two miles from the nearest grocery store. If I want to get into my car and drive to the store to buy groceries for my family, load them into said vehicle to get home with them rather than balance them on a bicycle or push them in a cart for two miles, I will. And I am not going to apologize for this.

Posted by: 3cdK7 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 07:40AM

myob Wrote:
> I live two miles from the nearest grocery store.
> If I want to get into my car and drive to the
> store to buy groceries for my family, load them
> into said vehicle to get home with them rather
> than balance them on a bicycle or push them in a
> cart for two miles, I will. And I am not going to
> apologize for this.

Better yet, buy a Hummer.

Posted by: Muddle of PUD ()
Date: June 25, 2014 07:53AM

""The scope and extent of the $85 million in bike and pedestrian projects included in this referendum far exceed both the current and projected mode share, especially given that we've got so many unfunded projects that would relieve significant congestion," said Herrity, the Springfield district supervisor."

You need more infrastructure for pedestrians in an urban setting.

Posted by: Tysonsdebacle ()
Date: June 25, 2014 08:08AM

For example we build a metro station in Tysons Corner with no sidewalks available to McLean. Thats right get off at Westpark and if you live 1 mile away in McLean there is no sidewalk. If you decide to walk on the shoulder you must cross the entrance ramp to I-66 without a crosswalk and walk under the overpass until the shoulder disappears and you must walk in the lane.

Sounds like a real 'war on cars' - what a jackass.

Posted by: myob ()
Date: June 25, 2014 08:10AM

3cdK7 Wrote:
> myob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I live two miles from the nearest grocery
> store.
> > If I want to get into my car and drive to the
> > store to buy groceries for my family, load them
> > into said vehicle to get home with them rather
> > than balance them on a bicycle or push them in
> a
> > cart for two miles, I will. And I am not going
> to
> > apologize for this.
>
> Better yet, buy a Hummer.

And my job is 10 miles from home, I don't get home until 11pm sometimes, my work hours are highly variable, and if I want to drive to work in my car, by myself, I WILL. And I am not going to apologize to somebody who is clinging to an "urban" fantasy. And I am NOT moving. So there.

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: June 25, 2014 08:52AM

Muddle of PUD Wrote:
> ""The scope and extent of the $85 million in bike
> and pedestrian projects included in this
> referendum far exceed both the current and
> projected mode share, especially given that we've
> got so many unfunded projects that would relieve
> significant congestion," said Herrity, the
> Springfield district supervisor."
>
> You need more infrastructure for pedestrians in an
> urban setting.

If you watch the part of the board meeting where they discussed/voted on this he actually said they make sense in urban settings or where they're alleviating safety issues. His big point was that the county/state assess transportation projects' projected usage & affect on congestion relief but not trails and walkways and that he didn't support funding these small projects when there's bigger ones out there that alleviate major congestion (I think he said 66/28 interchange but could be wrong) that remain unfunded.

Posted by: Demographics much ()
Date: June 25, 2014 09:36AM

Big Surprise Wrote:
> Wow. Right-wingers standing up for gas-guzzlers,
> concrete, and pollution. What a total shock!

Hey Big Surprise if you want to walk around or ride your bike to get places move to Arlington. We here in Fairfax drive our vehicles!

Posted by: derrp ()
Date: June 25, 2014 09:38AM

Demographics much Wrote:
> Big Surprise Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wow. Right-wingers standing up for
> gas-guzzlers,
> > concrete, and pollution. What a total shock!
>
>
> Hey Big Surprise if you want to walk around or
> ride your bike to get places move to Arlington. We
> here in Fairfax drive our vehicles!

Except for the 30% who dont and growing. Dumb fuck

Why dont you move to stafford instead

Posted by: Wrong tool ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:27PM

derrp Wrote:
>
> Except for the 30% who dont and growing. Dumb
> fuck
>
> Why dont you move to stafford instead

Except it's nowhere near 30%. Maybe .03% if that. Most of which is recreational versus getting from one place to another.

As much as the neo-urb planners around here want it to be some biking, mass transit, and pedestrian wonderland, it is not and will not be other than maybe in a very few isolated areas among a very limited population. That exists no place other than in their renderings and never will here. It's like a lot of other things. You have trends which emerge in various disciplines which work well in a given circumstance which then become the primary paradigm which then is taught and talked about and followed by most everyone in that discipline and, worse, picked up on by those outside who see it and then want to apply it to all cases everywhere as THE solution even where it's not appropriate. You can try to hit that screw with your one and only hammer all day long and it's never going to work very well here.

Posted by: thatguy ()
Date: June 25, 2014 06:51PM

You IDIOT VOTERS

you always click YES for any and all BONDS you ever see on the BALLOT.

It could be a bond for 3 TRILLION dollars and 70% of you would click YES.

Sheeple !!!

Posted by: DXMpC ()
Date: June 25, 2014 09:01PM

yea right $200 mil for a short path near in your neighbor hood your company is getting contract money funneled. i'm a ret for knowing what your up to: pound sand

---------------------
as if a bikepath is planned "all over fairfax"

show the plans dipshit. you don't have $50k worth of bike path planned i bet.

Posted by: Stormfront Member 202 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 09:03PM

The only people who use public transportation are poor people, spics and niggers. I'll stick to my car, thank you very much.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.