HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Question for Land Surveyors in Fairfax County
Posted by: OhSoSweet ()
Date: June 21, 2014 12:40PM

How often have you surveyed a residential lot that's been around since the 1980's and found the previous survey(s) to be wrong?

My crazy ass neighbor moved in and started telling the rest of us that the land markers were "wrong" and that he'd done his research and all of our surveys were wrong. Dumb ass just paid for a new survey and surprise, surprise, the markers are EXACTLY where the previous ones were. Way to waste your money (and look like an idiot) asshole.

This is the 2nd time this has happened. Other neighbor walked around ranting with big statements about how right she was and she ended up looking just as stupid after she wasted her money.

Anyone do a survey in FFX Co (in a much older, established development) and find the previous one to be in error?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Land Surveyors in Fairfax County
Posted by: Buddah ()
Date: June 21, 2014 12:48PM

If it is noted that all 4 corner markers have been found then yes, these people are stupid for wasting their money.

People will too much time on their hands will do that.

Date: June 21, 2014 12:50PM

Yep, in both cases all corner markers had been found.

The other neighbors got a good laugh out of it both times because both neighbors are know big mouths.

I'll be interested to see if anyone has found a long standing lot to be incorrect in FFX Co.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: June 21, 2014 01:59PM

Worked as an admin for years serving Fairfax and surrounding counties. Never heard of an inaccurate survey being found but often heard that homeowners had moved stakes themselves. Don't ever go by stakes, go by your survey. Always ask for a survey to scale. That makes it easier if your neighbor tries to debate you.

Posted by: pnPuT ()
Date: June 21, 2014 02:15PM

Very rare for typical surburban property lines like most around here. There may be various things which are built or located improperly relative to boundaries (e.g., fences, driveways, etc.) but that's different than the actual property lines.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: June 21, 2014 04:34PM

Agreed. Another reason to stipulate done to scale. It leaves no room for question/doubt. If a neighbor encroaches on your property with a fence or other permanent structure you can order them to remove it. If they refuse and you go to court you will be awarded court fees. Remember to document every step of any property issue. You will be glad you did.

Posted by: saveyourmoney ()
Date: June 22, 2014 09:06AM

Fairfax County will give you copies of any survey that's been filed with them. The cost is something like two dollars per copy (far less than a survey costs).

If you can get a copy of the surveys for a neighbor on the side and behind you then look at the long and lat for the corner marker that you all share. If both neighbor's surveys agree then yours is not going to be any different.

Remember, no survey company wants to be in dispute with several previous surveys because they'd potentially be in the position to justify their survey and go against the other guys.

It's a very specific process so it's rarely ever wrong in long standing neighborhoods.

Let your neighbors continue to waste their money and just sit back and enjoy the show.

Date: June 22, 2014 12:33PM

Oh believe me, we have been enjoying the show. Pinched angry faces as the angry lady neighbor struts her fat gut around her yard and the angry guy neighbor tries to pretend he didn't just make a complete fool of himself. No one told you to buy the property loser. Here's a thought, have it surveyed BEFORE you buy? Gee, who woulda thought of that?
Gotta love it when people who act like they know it all look the fool.

Posted by: Dom ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:40AM

For established neighborhoods never once in over thirty two years. That doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened, but not on my watch.

Posted by: charge ()
Date: June 25, 2014 02:10PM

How much do you pay for a survey 3/4 acre lot in FFX Co?

Posted by: Melinda Ardinger ()
Date: June 25, 2014 02:19PM

OhSoSweet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh believe me, we have been enjoying the show.
> Pinched angry faces as the angry lady neighbor
> struts her fat gut around her yard and the angry
> guy neighbor tries to pretend he didn't just make
> a complete fool of himself. No one told you to
> buy the property loser. Here's a thought, have it
> surveyed BEFORE you buy? Gee, who woulda thought
> of that?
> Gotta love it when people who act like they know
> it all look the fool.

It was a harrowing experience. The nerve of that neighbor pissing and grunting that HE owned his property. Shocking, absolutely shocking!
Attachments:
Melinda Ardinger.jpg

Posted by: Double Dot ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:29PM

I have a question regarding property surveys that hopefully someone might be able to answer.
My neighbor and I share a fence that is not along the property line. The previous owner of my house and the current owner of the house next door decided 30 years ago to the fence location. Each of those owners gave up some property, but gained some close to what they gave up. We are about to sell our house and the property survey has been done. The survey obviously shows that the fence is not on the property line. Can a potential buyer demand that the fencing be moved to its proper location or torn down? Or has the amount of time gone by to stipulate that property boundaries have been formerly changed? In other words, do the laws of Adverse Possession kick in after a certain number of years?

Posted by: Geography Stickler ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:31PM

George Washington was the first land surveyor in Fairfax County, fatass.

Posted by: realtor orb ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:36PM

Double Dot Wrote:
> I have a question regarding property surveys that
> hopefully someone might be able to answer.
> My neighbor and I share a fence that is not along
> the property line. The previous owner of my house
> and the current owner of the house next door
> decided 30 years ago to the fence location. Each
> of those owners gave up some property, but gained
> some close to what they gave up. We are about to
> sell our house and the property survey has been
> done. The survey obviously shows that the fence
> is not on the property line. Can a potential
> buyer demand that the fencing be moved to its
> proper location or torn down? Or has the amount
> of time gone by to stipulate that property
> boundaries have been formerly changed? In other
> words, do the laws of Adverse Possession kick in
> after a certain number of years?

Just had this happen actually. My client the buyer, was buying a property that had a mutual fence on her property, over the years it no longer was middle ground but on her property. It is mutually owned, your only options are to ask the neighbor to help pay for the costs or do it yourself. Thankfully we found a willing neighbor. Stupid layers drove me nuts with this though.

Date: June 25, 2014 05:33PM

Melinda Ardinger wrote:
>It was a harrowing experience. The nerve of
>that neighbor pissing and grunting that HE owned
>his property. Shocking, absolutely shocking!

Ha ha asswipe, the both do not own the property they were pissing moaning over. That's why we are all laughing at his and her asses. They are just both stupid enough to purchase without spending the $ for a survey before they purchased like anyone with half a brain cell does. We are enjoying it so much more because both are such know it alls... well, THEY think so anyway.

Posted by: Answering Double Dot ()
Date: June 25, 2014 07:18PM

My brother is a lawyer and my understanding is that Adverse Possession in VA, more specifically fairfax county is not what people think it to be. The old law is rarely enforced, particularly upon an unwilling party.

The fence may have to be torn down. Call the county's zoning dept. Very helpful and will point you to the correct documentation.

Posted by: no adverse posession ()
Date: June 25, 2014 08:54PM

Double Dot Wrote:
> I have a question regarding property surveys that
> hopefully someone might be able to answer.
> My neighbor and I share a fence that is not along
> the property line. The previous owner of my house
> and the current owner of the house next door
> decided 30 years ago to the fence location. Each
> of those owners gave up some property, but gained
> some close to what they gave up. We are about to
> sell our house and the property survey has been
> done. The survey obviously shows that the fence
> is not on the property line. Can a potential
> buyer demand that the fencing be moved to its
> proper location or torn down? Or has the amount
> of time gone by to stipulate that property
> boundaries have been formerly changed? In other
> words, do the laws of Adverse Possession kick in
> after a certain number of years?

The fence will have to be moved in order to have a clean title. The title company can be sued for allowing the closing to proceed without a clean title.

If you get along with the neighbor, the yards look better with the location of the fence, and the amount of land gained/lost by each lot is approximately the same, you and the neighbor could hire a surveyor to draw new lot surveys with a lot line adjust and hire a lawyer to write a deed to describe the adjustment. Both documents would need to be recorded in the court records.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.