HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The 29 Diner Plans to ReOpen in July
Posted by: 29 Diner ()
Date: June 18, 2014 12:30PM

http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/gut-check/2014/06/17/iconic-29-diner-in-fairfax-plans-to-reopen-in-late-july-under-new-ownership/

By Allison Michelli

Northern Virginians won’t have to wait much longer to get their 29 Diner fix. New owner and Fairfax native, John Wood hopes to reopen the doors of this iconic establishment in late July. “We just signed the lease,” says Wood. “As soon as we get all of our marching orders from the Virginia Board of Historical Resources we will reopen. It is going to be the same classic diner that it has been for the last 67 years.”

Maintaining the original infrastructure and classic diner touches like chrome detailing and swivel bar stools, the 29 Diner is undergoing only a “cosmetic remodel” to “polish the place up,” says Wood, who identifies as a service-disabled veteran and has been in the restaurant business for the last 30 years.

According to Wood, the diner will also be keeping its traditional menu, featuring American comfort foods like barbecue chicken and meatloaf and milkshakes. / 29 Diner, 10536 Lee Highway (Rt 29), Fairfax.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The 29 Diner Plans to ReOpen in July
Posted by: Historical Resource? ()
Date: June 18, 2014 12:34PM

"our marching orders from the Virginia Board of Historical Resources"

Historical Resource? Somebody clue me on this?

Posted by: LIB-TARDZ LOLZ! ()
Date: June 18, 2014 01:33PM

Those are the nazis who want all buildings to remain exactly as they were when they were built 50, 100, or in this case 67 years ago. They can be worse than an HOA.

Posted by: Mad As Hell ()
Date: June 18, 2014 01:42PM

Yeah! I put in a plan to bulldoze Mount Vernon and build some beautiful new river-view luxury condos, and those Liberty-And-Freedom hating bastards turned me down!!!

It's the DEPARTMENT of Historical Resources, by the way. And I'll very much look forward to visiting the 29 Diner once again soon.

Posted by: LIB-TARDZ LOLZ! ()
Date: June 18, 2014 01:57PM

You're a turd. Get lost.

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: June 18, 2014 02:04PM

Gotta keep those old leaky single pane windows over modern energy efficient ones, for no other reason than them being old.

Most of the time those historical boards suck ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 02:05PM by exffx.

Posted by: GreasySpoon ()
Date: June 18, 2014 02:14PM

Will my ass still stick to the seats? Will everything feel like it's coated in cooking oil? Will they still cook french fries in oil that's had fish fried in it too?

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: June 18, 2014 02:26PM

The Route 29 Diner was VOLUNTARILY placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/Fairfax_City/151-0039_Tastee_29_Diner_1992_Final_%20Nomination.pdf
Attachments:
151-0039_Tastee29Diner_VLR_4th_edition.jpg

Posted by: Diner ()
Date: June 18, 2014 02:51PM

GreasySpoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will my ass still stick to the seats? Will
> everything feel like it's coated in cooking oil?
> Will they still cook french fries in oil that's
> had fish fried in it too?

I drove past it the other day and they stripped all of the old seats out. So I'm assuming your ass won't stick to the seats in the short-term.

Posted by: Crazy Town ()
Date: June 18, 2014 04:18PM

Will still have 10 seats inside the entire place and 5 parking spaces out front?

Posted by: Save our history! ()
Date: June 18, 2014 04:21PM

Crazy Town Wrote:
> Will still have 10 seats inside the entire place
> and 5 parking spaces out front?

4 parking spaces. One will be taken for a plague indicating it's on the historic register.

Posted by: WUT? ()
Date: June 18, 2014 04:23PM

^ The plague?!? I know the food is bad, but really...

Posted by: Decrapitated ()
Date: June 18, 2014 04:35PM

GreasySpoon Wrote:
> Will my ass still stick to the seats? Will
> everything feel like it's coated in cooking oil?
> Will they still cook french fries in oil that's
> had fish fried in it too?

If all these ammenities go away, just drive down the road a piece to Warrenton and go to Frost Diner. It also includes an open sewer aroma on certain days.

Posted by: 29er ()
Date: June 18, 2014 05:15PM

Save our history! Wrote:
> Crazy Town Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Will still have 10 seats inside the entire
> place
> > and 5 parking spaces out front?
>
>
> 4 parking spaces. One will be taken for a plague
> indicating it's on the historic register.

There is plenty of parking around back.

Posted by: New Article - Will Have BBQ! ()
Date: June 19, 2014 10:45AM

The Post did an in-depth story on this. Seems they are going to visiting "celebrity chefs" and donate to vets. Also may feature BBQ. Cars on parking lot events. The Mayor of Fairfax is also on board.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fairfax-citys-29-diner-is-getting-a-makeover-fans-of-late-night-eggs-and-grits-rejoice/2014/06/18/17ea946c-f62b-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

Local entrepreneur John K. Wood is helping the diner rise again.

The diner and the land it sits on are owned by the Glascock family. The late Bill Glascock dug the foundation upon which the shiny metal and glass block diner was placed when delivered new from a Pennsylvania factory in 1947. He ran the diner for a while before selling the business — but not the building and land — to others. The most recent operator was Virginia Guevara, a former waitress at the 29 Diner. She ran it with her husband, Freddy, until their recent retirement.

John said he was driving on Lee Highway when he saw that the diner was for rent. “I jumped out of my skin,” he told me. He may or may not have driven over the median in his haste to get to the diner and call the phone number posted in the window. He now has a 15-year lease.

“You step into that diner, and it just takes you back to when you were 9 years old and you got your first milkshake,” said John.

John runs several businesses, including Old Glory Construction and Contracting, a construction firm that employs many veterans. He and Billy Reilly, a local nightlife and restaurant veteran who is helping to promote the diner, said their plan is to have a soft opening July 20. As a much-needed renovation progresses over the summer, the diner’s parking lot will host events, including food truck visits and car shows. They hope the diner itself will reopen by Labor Day.

And when it reopens? There will be diner food, yes, John and Billy said, but also artisanal food served by a rotating cast of acclaimed chefs. There’s likely to be a barbecue component, too. Ambitious.

John said the plan is to work with groups that help veterans and the homeless. He said the Lord inspires him to give back.

“I can’t tell you how many meetings we’ve been late to because he pulls over to give someone a dollar,” Billy said. “John Wood is the most unique individual I’ve ever met. His unique vision is amazing.”

“Everybody sees the same mountain,” John said.

“They see it, but they don’t see it like you,” Billy said.

Fairfax Mayor R. Scott Silverthorne is behind the efforts. “I know that Mr. Wood and his team are very community focused and oriented, which I think is going to be a great thing for the City of Fairfax.”

Date: June 19, 2014 10:51AM

LIB-TARDZ LOLZ! Wrote:
> You're a turd. Get lost.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that goobers are so easily bruised. A single fact can leave a mark for a week. Big ugly purple thing right in the middle of the forehead.

Date: June 19, 2014 10:55AM

exffx Wrote:
> Most of the time those historical boards suck ass.

When have you ever dealt with an historical board? I'm guessing NEVER. Such a shame that we have all these boards and such keeping dumbfucks from trashing the place and its heritage. Must tick you off, eh.

Date: June 19, 2014 11:13AM

29er Wrote:
> There is plenty of parking around back.

And plenty of (refurbished) seats inside. Hopefully none of them occupied by any of the wretched refuse ignorantly posting about the place here.

Posted by: Reactor ()
Date: June 19, 2014 12:25PM

Mad As Hell Wrote:
> 29er Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is plenty of parking around back.
>
> And plenty of (refurbished) seats inside.
> Hopefully none of them occupied by any of the
> wretched refuse ignorantly posting about the place
> here.

"wretched refuse ignorantly posting"

Oh!! Now you have crossed line the line MR!!!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.