HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Clifton Closing - Lawsuit Dismissed
Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: July 18, 2011 09:14AM

...and she wasn't reimbursed for her legal fees.

http://commweb.fcps.edu/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?newsid=1773

Friday, July 15, 2011

Circuit Court Dismisses Complaint Against Fairfax County School Board

On July 13, the Fairfax County Circuit Court dismissed the lawsuit filed by Jill DeMello Hill against the Fairfax County School Board under the Open Meetings provisions of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

In an eight-page opinion, Judge Leslie Alden determined that members of the School Board did not engage in any secret meetings by e-mail in the days leading to the vote to close Clifton Elementary School. She found no basis to disturb the Court’s previous decision upholding the School Board’s July 2010 decision to close the school. The judge also denied Hill’s request for payment of her attorneys’ fees.

Although Judge Alden found several minor violations of the FOIA by the School Board, she concluded that those defects were insubstantial, given the absence of impact on the public meeting and the large volume of documents initially released to Hill.

###

Note: For more information, contact the Fairfax County Public Schools Department of Communications and Community Outreach at 571-423-1200.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clifton Closing - Lawsuit Dismissed
Date: July 18, 2011 09:18AM

Bwahahahahaha!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Ignorance Prevention Chief ()
Date: July 18, 2011 02:06PM

Ah no. It wasn't dismissed. Try again. The School Board made numerous FOIA violations. The School Board is just pressuring media to spin it in their favor. Keeping drinking that Kool Aid, losers.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: July 18, 2011 05:24PM

Ignorance Prevention Chief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah no. It wasn't dismissed. Try again. The
> School Board made numerous FOIA violations. The
> School Board is just pressuring media to spin it
> in their favor. Keeping drinking that Kool Aid,
> losers.

Can't tell if troll or just stupid. Where did you see that it was not dismissed? The title clearly states that it was dismissed.

Here's the Kool-Aid Man busting through the wall to give you a pitcher full of sugary red artificially flavored reality:

=======================

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/fairfax-county-judge-dismisses-clifton-parents-lawsuit-accusing-school-district-of-violating-foia-law/2011/07/16/gIQABkcJII_blog.html

"But Fairfax County Judge Leslie M. Alden found that the board’s e-mail traffic about the school did not amount to a clandestine meeting. Although the judge did rule that the board and School Superintendent Jack D. Dale’s administration had violated other FOIA provisions on open meetings or public disclosure, she also held that the violations were too minor to justify disturbing the board’s decision.

Having already lost a related lawsuit that was appealed to the Virginia Supreme Court, some Clifton parents and community leaders saw Hill’s FOIA case as their last hope to reverse the board’s decision through legal action. Others have already focused their attention on trying to launch a charter school or winning seats on the county School Board in this fall’s election "
========================

The way I see it, every decision yields a loser and a poor loser always screams "appeal,(more lawyers fees), appeal". Since there was already another appeal lost at the VA Supreme Court, this lame FOIA appeal is the best excuse they could find to get their way.

If they had a stronger excuse regarding why they lost, they would have played it. The next appeal will only make lawyers richer and waste more of our courts' time.

Posted by: ReadTheArticle ()
Date: July 19, 2011 08:08AM

The case was not dismissed and the Judge found that the School Board violated Virginia's FOIA laws numerous times. That means they are guilty of breaking the law. Just because a writer for the Post writes something doesn't mean that it is correct. Don't believe everything you read.

Posted by: Momma says these is magic shoes ()
Date: July 19, 2011 09:27AM

This case was not dismissed. Instead of reading this biased and factually incorrect article, you should read the Judge's opinion. Do you believe everything you read just because someone wrote it in the Post? It is pathetic that a reputable publication, such as the Post allows lazy reporters to publish garbage that misleads it readers. If you want to take the time, as I have, to do your homework and find out what is really taking place, I would hope that you would be concerned that the elected public officals are lying, breaking the law and getting away with it. If not, then perhaps you are the troll/stupid one because you believe what you read in a title. Did you know that the Post hosts a monthly lunch for FCPS?

Posted by: FFX County News ()
Date: July 19, 2011 11:54AM

Momma says these is magic shoes Wrote:
> This case was not dismissed. Instead of reading
> this biased and factually incorrect article, you
> should read the Judge's opinion. Do you believe
> everything you read just because someone wrote it
> in the Post? It is pathetic that a reputable
> publication, such as the Post allows lazy
> reporters to publish garbage that misleads it
> readers. If you want to take the time, as I have,
> to do your homework and find out what is really
> taking place, I would hope that you would be
> concerned that the elected public officals are
> lying, breaking the law and getting away with it.
> If not, then perhaps you are the troll/stupid one
> because you believe what you read in a title. Did
> you know that the Post hosts a monthly lunch for
> FCPS?

It was dismissed...

Circuit Court Dismisses Complaint Against School Board
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/628127.html

"The Fairfax County Circuit Court has dismissed the lawsuit filed by Jill DeMello Hill against the Fairfax County School Board under the Open Meetings provisions of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

In an eight-page opinion, Judge Leslie Alden determined that members of the school board did not engage in any secret meetings by e-mail in the days leading to the vote to close Clifton Elementary School."

Posted by: countywide2 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 12:33PM

The clifton kids will get their asses kicked and lose their lunch money at their new school. It will be good for them in the long run.

Posted by: I think this is done ()
Date: July 19, 2011 01:23PM

Let's put a fork in it.

Va. Supreme Court Rules School Board Did Not Violate Open Records Laws in Clifton School Case
Posted by: Clifton School Closing Supreme Court ()
Date: June 10, 2012 05:18AM

Va. Supreme Court Rules School Board Did Not Violate Open Records Laws in Clifton School Case
The opinion was issued Thursday.
June 7, 2012
http://fairfaxstation.patch.com/articles/va-supreme-court-rules-school-board-did-not-violate-open-records-laws

The state Supreme Court ruled that the Fairfax County School board members did not violate the Freedom of Information Act in the course of their decision to close Clifton Elementary School, the Washington Post reports.

The newspaper reported that the court announced their decision on Thursday.

The lawsuit, filed by Clifton resident Jill DeMello Hill last year, argued that elected officials, members of the school board, violated FOIA laws by emailing each other about the school’s closure before a July 2010 public meeting was held on the matter, among other issues.

The Supreme Court disagreed that the school board members' e-mails constituted a secret meeting in violation of FOIA laws, the Post reports.

A separate lawsuit filed by a group of Clifton parents that had to do with the merits of the board’s decision to close the school was struck down in Fairfax County courts. The Virginia Supreme Court determined earlier this year that they would not be hearing that case.

Clifton ElementaryCredit Rachel Hatzipanagos
Attachments:
e0a9a593189cbdb42cad640ecb9e1ca8.jpg

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: June 10, 2012 06:17AM

She's from New Jersey. Need I say more?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 10, 2012 07:32AM

countywide2 Wrote:
> The clifton kids will get their asses kicked and
> lose their lunch money at their new school. It
> will be good for them in the long run.

great attitude, shit for brains

come down on the children cause you dont like the parents.........................

Posted by: Power Play ()
Date: June 10, 2012 08:38AM

She (Hill) also is on a roller derby team...DC Democats--check it out need I say more?

Posted by: EnoughAlready ()
Date: June 10, 2012 09:06AM

Everyone needs to get over Clifton Elementary School closing. The building is a dump, was built in the days of asbestos and lead paint and would cost more to renovate than it is worth. Why not put some of the money Clifton residents are spending on McMansions, beemers, Mercedes', Lexus' and other high dollar expenses and invest it in their children's educations? Build a private school, put more money into the FCPS construction funds so a new school can built, etc. Find a way rather than taking the issue to the courts for an unsafe facility. In the end the rest of Fairfax is paying for the lawyers to fight these lawsuits and THAT is not where I want my tax money going.

Posted by: meter reader ()
Date: June 10, 2012 09:06AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> countywide2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The clifton kids will get their asses kicked
> and
> > lose their lunch money at their new school. It
> > will be good for them in the long run.
>
>
> great attitude, shit for brains
>
> come down on the children cause you dont like the
> parents.........................

Yo dude, you are trying to respond to a post that is like almost a year old.

Posted by: saxon ()
Date: June 10, 2012 03:57PM

I feel for the people of Clifton. But I have to say that the school closing is your own fault. You failed to pay the piper.

We, in Great Falls/Langley, have never, and will never be part of any redistrictings, nor will any of our schools be closed without our permission. This is because we know how the political game is played ($$$$$). Frankly, I'm surprised that the many high net worth individuals in Clifton didn't understand that and get out their checkbooks years before the fact. I'll not reveal which public officials we own, but they are all for sale.

It's much, much better to prevent adverse events from happening in the first place, than to take your chances in court after it happens.

But I guess you understand that now.

Posted by: jeanny ()
Date: June 11, 2012 07:52AM

What do you expect? FCPS "own" the media and probably member of Va Supreme Court, they are a huge corrupt system that looks more like North Korea than a school district.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:03AM

jeanny Wrote:
> What do you expect? FCPS "own" the media and
> probably member of Va Supreme Court, they are a
> huge corrupt system that looks more like North
> Korea than a school district.

You voted them in. Please post the name of the organization we should look for that you'll be running for the next election cycle to clean it up.

Posted by: suuuure ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:07AM

So FCPS looks more like a place you've never seen than a school district?
I don't think you know what words mean.

Posted by: fallmart ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:21AM

jeanny Wrote:
> What do you expect? FCPS "own" the media and
> probably member of Va Supreme Court, they are a
> huge corrupt system that looks more like North
> Korea than a school district.

For sure, Gatehouse is also known as the "grassy knoll" Please go back inside and put your foil hat back on.

Posted by: Liz fan ()
Date: June 11, 2012 05:13PM

I think the CES thing has run its course, time to move on and close a school in another stuck-up prick zip code. Ant suggestions?

Posted by: We get it! ()
Date: June 11, 2012 05:42PM

We have moved on. So should you!

Game over.

Cheers!

yes, I should learn what those numbers the kids call "dates" mean LoLz
Date: June 11, 2012 07:32PM

@meterreader - nobody here ever said I was the sharpest tool in the shed...........or the brightest..............or the most useful...............or.........

Posted by: ihop chef ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:21PM

We get it! Wrote:
> We have moved on. So should you!
>
> Game over.
>
> Cheers!

Wish we could open it for a year then close it again.

Posted by: Hey Cary ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:54PM

Clifton haters love to hate.

I say since the lawsuit has been dismissed we should shut this thread down.

:)

Thanks,

Posted by: interwebs hiker ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:15AM

Hey Cary Wrote:
> Clifton haters love to hate.
>
> I say since the lawsuit has been dismissed we
> should shut this thread down.
>
> :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> From: Wishful Thinking

You sound like a typical cliftonite. You are all about the forum when you want it to serve your needs. As soon as you lose the fight you want Cary to shut the thread down. Here's your sign.
Attachments:
me me me.jpg

Posted by: Over it! ()
Date: June 13, 2012 06:37AM

Move on man. We have better things to do.

Cheers!

Posted by: Singletons grove ()
Date: June 13, 2012 06:06PM

Over it! Wrote:
> Move on man. We have better things to do.
>
> Cheers!

That is exactly what we told the Clifton snobs to do 18 months ago but they continued to cry and kick and stamp their feet. We all have better things to do but it is entertaining to see these foul human beings not get their way. But feel free to move on, no one is forcing you to read this thread are they?

spoiler: it's only true in their head...............
Date: June 13, 2012 06:22PM

Singletons grove Wrote:
> Over it! Wrote:
> -----
> > Move on man. We have better things to do.
> >
> > Cheers!
>
>
> That is exactly what we told the Clifton snobs to
> do 18 months ago but they continued to cry and
> kick and stamp their feet. We all have better
> things to do but it is entertaining to see these
> foul human beings not get their way. But feel free
> to move on, no one is forcing you to read this
> thread are they?

just out of curiosity...............what are you talking about? What snobs and how are they foul? I'd lvoe to hear an example of how the ppl of Clifton are as a group, any worse than anyone in Hybla Valley, Hayfield, Lorton, or Langley...................

Posted by: another neighbor ()
Date: June 13, 2012 07:05PM

Dear Blvd.

You are all over this Underground with snide remarks so surely you must have seen the Clifton spew of hatred and their supposed wrong doing. These appear to be people who thought they could buy their wants or threaten people to get what they wanted. Looks like they came up empty and lost big.

It is not Great Falls they are not as sophisticated. However the entire issue would have made a great reality TV show----The Mob Families of Clifton.

cant be that hard to show if it's all over, y'know.............
Date: June 13, 2012 07:20PM

um, ok - so if it's all over the site, this "Clifton spew of hatred", gimmie an example of it, is all I'm asking. Cause I'm not really seeing anything really other than passion about keeping the school open. Hate would involved someone being cut. Check out that Rose Hill thread if you wanna talk about "hate" Pppl upset about the community school being closed aint "hate" and yr bonkers if you think it's anything close to it.................

Now if you have proof of real hate, show it to me.

Re: cant be that hard to show if it's all over, y'know.............
Posted by: Really? ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:28PM

Dear Singletons Grove,

Go fuck yourself asshole. I have been nice. You need to STFU. I know this is how you want the 1% to act. Show some class on your end. These are children. Not numbers. Enough.

Gordon Blvd is right.

Move along now folks the show is over.

Good bye and good luck to you!

Posted by: move along ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:46PM

Now that's funny - Move Along LOL!

Posted by: citizen wondering ()
Date: June 16, 2012 02:09PM

saxon Wrote:
> I feel for the people of Clifton. But I have to
> say that the school closing is your own fault.
> You failed to pay the piper.
>
> We, in Great Falls/Langley, have never, and will
> never be part of any redistrictings, nor will any
> of our schools be closed without our permission.
> This is because we know how the political game is
> played ($$$$$). Frankly, I'm surprised that the
> many high net worth individuals in Clifton didn't
> understand that and get out their checkbooks years
> before the fact. I'll not reveal which public
> officials we own, but they are all for sale.
>
> It's much, much better to prevent adverse events
> from happening in the first place, than to take
> your chances in court after it happens.
>
> But I guess you understand that now.

how about a couple names?

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: June 17, 2012 04:54PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
>
> Now if you have proof of real hate, show it to me.

Look at the Bradsher thread and at the stuff posted around election time. There was plenty of hate from both sides. Understand your a Clifton supporter, but try to see things a little objectively, mmkay?

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

i dont recall any sticks or stones being used..............................
Date: June 17, 2012 07:47PM

@dane - if nasty words in a passionate situation equate to real "hate" in yr eyes, you need to go back under yr mom's skirt til you grow some hair on yr chest LoLz.

Posted by: dell ave ()
Date: June 18, 2012 05:18PM

Dane Bramage Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Now if you have proof of real hate, show it to
> me.
>
> Look at the Bradsher thread and at the stuff
> posted around election time. There was plenty of
> hate from both sides. Understand your a Clifton
> supporter, but try to see things a little
> objectively, mmkay?

Quite a few hateful comments from Clifton moms and dads at the closing party. Thankfully it was mostly in the parking lot. There was more complaining and whining than anything else but a fair amount of hateful comments when I told them that I thought Liz did the right thing.

well, you kinda got those sorta comments cause what you did was kinda like calling Granmama a slut at her funeral. ...........
Date: June 18, 2012 05:37PM

anywho, look.............again, hate is more than just some snippy comments. We hear of a brick thru a front window in the middle of the night? Slashing car tires? Shooting out porch lights with a BB Gun. I dont think there was even that amount of local "colour" throughout the whole Clifton issue correct me if I'm wrong.................but if it didnt even rise to that level of bullshit, then I dont think "hate" is really the most accurate word for the situation, si all.

oh yes, dell......one more thing: http://bit.ly/yMzKGK

Date: June 18, 2012 06:25PM

Gotta agree with saxon about knowing how the game's played. I don't know who might or might not be bought, but the "How government works" as taught in third grade leaves off a few critical points. Money DOES talk, and I'm astonished that the folks in Clifton--who've got the money and many of whom are pretty smart--totally missed the boat on political influence.

But blow it they did. And you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Posted by: OLD STUDENT ()
Date: December 07, 2012 08:35AM

RE OPEN THIS SCHOOL

Posted by: all the way with the KKK ()
Date: December 07, 2012 08:49AM

Clifton Elementary School.............The last White only school in NOVA. RIP!!!

Like Saxon said...........Know how to play the political game!!!

Posted by: i ()
Date: April 26, 2014 12:23AM

this will happen in lcps

Posted by: Maryxx ()
Date: May 06, 2014 09:20AM

all the way with the KKK Wrote:
> Clifton Elementary School.............The last
> White only school in NOVA. RIP!!!
>
> Like Saxon said...........Know how to play the
> political game!!!

THEY WHERE LIKE 4 HISPANICS AND BLACKS AND ASIAN IT WAS NICE CAUSE IT WAS A SMALL SCHOOL NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE

Posted by: LKOL ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:39PM

Small school

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.