HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Regional unemployment down from year ago
Posted by: regional jobless rate ()
Date: April 13, 2014 04:59AM

Regional unemployment down from year ago
http://www.insidenova.com/news/arlington/regional-unemployment-down-from-year-ago/article_612de8c4-c0a5-11e3-8c8a-001a4bcf887a.html

Unemployment in the Washington region ticked up in February from January but was down compared to a year before, according to new federal figures.

The regional jobless rate was 5.1 percent in February, according to figures reported April 9 by the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, representing 3.22 million residents in the workforce and 163,400 looking for work.

The jobless rate had been 5 percent in January, but was 5.7 percent in February 2013, according to federal figures.

The Washington region was one of 338 of the nation’s 372 metropolitan areas to post a lower jobless rate from a year before, with 25 areas seeing increases and nine unchanged, according to federal figures. The national non-seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate of 7 percent was down from 8.1 percent a year before.

Among the nation’s metropolitan areas, the lowest jobless rate was found in Houma-Thibodaux, La., at 2.8 percent. The highest rates were found in Yuma, Ariz., and El Centro, Calif., at 22.9 percent and 21 percent, respectively.

Among metro areas with populations of 1 million or more, the lowest unemployment rate was New Orleans, at 4.2 percent, with the highest unemployment reported in Providence, R.I., at 9.7 percent.

Among Virginia metropolitan areas outside Washington, year-over-year unemployment rates were generally flat, with increases or decreases of not more than several tenths of 1 percent.

Complete data can be found at www.bls.gov.
Attachments:
5122a82ca4541_preview-300.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Regional unemployment down from year ago
Posted by: No Idea ()
Date: April 13, 2014 10:58PM

There is not and never has been, an accounting of people who just gave up.....count me there, over 60, lost my job 3 years ago, applied endlessly, no hope. The numbers are not a true reflection of unemployment.

Posted by: The Agree-er ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:43PM

No Idea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is not and never has been, an accounting of
> people who just gave up.....count me there, over
> 60, lost my job 3 years ago, applied endlessly, no
> hope. The numbers are not a true reflection of
> unemployment.

+1

Posted by: Wah wah wah, retards ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:55PM

The Agree-er Wrote:
> No Idea Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is not and never has been, an accounting
> of
> > people who just gave up.....count me there,
> over
> > 60, lost my job 3 years ago, applied endlessly,
> no
> > hope. The numbers are not a true reflection of
> > unemployment.
>
> +1

Perhaps your inability to do a simple google search is the reason why no one wants to hire your dumbass.

In fact, for year, this has been a measure of the BLS

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

Get a fuckin job and stop whining, sorry that you feel you are too good to flip burgers or be a secretary.

http://www.bls.gov/lau/stalt03.htm

http://www.bls.gov/lau/stalt08.htm

http://www.bls.gov/lau/stalt13q3.htm

Posted by: i work cheeper den gringo ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:00PM

illegal_immigrants.jpg

We takey your jerbs, we flipey de burgers. You do thee office jobs, we do all else gringo.

Posted by: uh huh go on ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:19PM

i work cheeper den gringo Wrote:
> src="http://www.alipac.us/images/illegal_immigrant
> s.jpg"/>
>
> We takey your jerbs, we flipey de burgers. You do
> thee office jobs, we do all else gringo.

Yes because if a white person showed up for a job at mcdonalds for the same pay the hispanic employees do, the manager would absolutely not hire the white person.

Fuckin die you lazy asshole. There are plenty of jobs out there, you just wouldn't sully your family's good name to do any of them. My heavens! My servant used to do that.

Posted by: Xujbu ()
Date: April 14, 2014 06:04PM

when hasn't obama told you economy is up and jobless rates are down ?

how much is gas ?

Date: April 14, 2014 08:09PM

To Wah, Wah..."Get a fuckin job and stop whining, sorry that you feel you are too good to flip burgers or be a secretary."

Pretty presumptuous of you to assume I haven't applied for such jobs....I have, at one third the pay or less than I was making, and no benefits to boot.

Age discrimination is very real, I'm not whining, it's just a fact.

10 years ago I would have felt as you, but not stated it as crudely......

Posted by: C'mon Man ()
Date: April 14, 2014 08:43PM

Learn new skills and quit being lazy. Being 60 and unemployed is not a life sentence. Besides, if you need to work at 60, then you did a shitty job saving and investing your money.

Was the boat and jacuzzi really worth it or did you purchase a time share in Acapulco thinking that I Love Lucy would be on forever?

Posted by: Rolling 60's ()
Date: April 14, 2014 08:48PM

C'mon Man Wrote:
> Learn new skills and quit being lazy. Being 60
> and unemployed is not a life sentence. Besides,
> if you need to work at 60, then you did a shitty
> job saving and investing your money.
>
> Was the boat and jacuzzi really worth it or did
> you purchase a time share in Acapulco thinking
> that I Love Lucy would be on forever?

Don't know the nigg who posted needing work at 60.. But I can tell you that shit exist, And it's no Joke.
Some have saved, just can't pull out of the retirement fund just yet. Plenty of hard working men are in this position, And they didn't live nigga rich. It's fucked up, It happens.

Posted by: ASSuming ()
Date: April 14, 2014 08:54PM

Unless you have been 60 and unemployed, you probably shouldn't comment. I wouldn't be surprised if this person has never been to Acapulco, etc. and spent money helping his kids through college. If you haven't been there, don't assume.

Also, some people want to work even if they have some investments. Hard to believe, huh?

Posted by: Living the dream ()
Date: April 14, 2014 09:08PM

divorce will clean a man out also, It's very common to have a man in his 60's looking for work..Not everyone has parents who Give or leave them cash.

Date: April 14, 2014 09:48PM

Thanks Assuming...no I have never been to Acapulco...or anywhere exotic and I'm a saver. Haven't been frivolous at all, and good news for all you posters, I won't be starving to death or collecting by the side of the road so not to worry you.

I wasn't ready and I didn't plan to be out of work by 60. My point was the jobs AREN"T there.....get a clue. And how does someone meet expenses for 5 years before retirement without starting to drain on their retirement? That's what we have done... no burden to the taxpayer, but I'd be willing to work until 65 if I could get a job, which would mean my retirement would last longer, assuring that in the future I would also not be a drain on the taxpayer.

Posted by: Worked as a Tour Guide In Bruges ()
Date: April 15, 2014 12:18AM

Never been anywhere exotic, eh! Now that is something you really should regret. Travel doesn't have to entail staying at the poshest hotels and traveling 1st class. I've seen most of the world, and did it in youth hostels, campgrounds, pensioners, the back porch of a friend's 2nd cousin twice removed, 3rd class rail, cut rate flights on standby, and with my thumb. It's okay to share a bathroom with 30 other people in Poland, eat from the communal pot in Kenya, or be the only white guy in a Japanese bath house. I feel pity for someone who hasn't lived more than being a "saver".

What you've got to be, friend, is innovative. You're 60, and you're seeing the ugly side of age discrimination. Of course it's illegal, now go and prove it. If I were you, I'd make my own job. Start with a frank self assessment. Are you educated? Could you tutor the little darlings in your neighborhood in math? One of my kids needed this and he just wouldn't accept what I tried to show him ("that's not the way the teacher does it"!) so we got him a tutor. She was a retired teacher and raked it in. I'll probably work that street myself in a couple of years.

Are you artistic? I have a friend who retired on disability, as a lawyer no less, go figure! He always wanted to be an artist. So he took some courses at the community college -- seniors study for free -- and learned how to be a sculpter/pottery maker. So now he makes the stuff during the week, then he and the Mrs. travel up and down the east coast going to shows and exhibiting. He bearly makes enough to cover expenses but he loves the life.

You make your own luck, man. Leave the hash slinging at MickyD's to the 20 something dropouts, the corporate ladder to the 30 somethings, and the corner office with huge mortgage and college tuition payments to the 40-50 year olds. You've done your time, now find a way to live it.

No Idea Wrote:
> Thanks Assuming...no I have never been to
> Acapulco...or anywhere exotic and I'm a saver.
> Haven't been frivolous at all, and good news for
> all you posters, I won't be starving to death or
> collecting by the side of the road so not to worry
> you.
>
> I wasn't ready and I didn't plan to be out of work
> by 60. My point was the jobs AREN"T there.....get
> a clue. And how does someone meet expenses for 5
> years before retirement without starting to drain
> on their retirement? That's what we have done...
> no burden to the taxpayer, but I'd be willing to
> work until 65 if I could get a job, which would
> mean my retirement would last longer, assuring
> that in the future I would also not be a drain on
> the taxpayer.

Posted by: True The Vote ! ()
Date: April 15, 2014 12:29AM

Govt. Military and unions are not hurting, everybody else has been sucking air for six years, this is by design, not hope and change comrades.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.