HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Parking problems continue for NOVA neighbors
Posted by: Parking problems ()
Date: March 30, 2014 08:27PM

Parking problems continue for NOVA neighbors
County expands parking restrictions around Annandale campus
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140326/NEWS/140329352/1117/parking-problems-continue-for-nova-neighbors&template=fairfaxTimes

Parking issues continue to tangle roads and rankle residents in the neighborhood surrounding Northern Virginia Community College’s Annandale campus.

Students heading into the school often park in surrounding streets to avoid the college’s parking fees. As a result, the county keeps expanding parking restrictions in the area around the campus.

Residents on Chapel Drive staked a claim for their street at the Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday, making that road the latest addition to the resident-only parking district around the community college.

“Every three or four months, we end up back here with another addendum to this permit parking district,” said Supervisor John Cook (R-Braddock). “And I encourage all the residents in the area around the college to consider this option.”

To be included in the parking district, roads must be within 2,000 feet walking distance of a pedestrian entrance to the college or 1,000 feet from property boundaries. Chapel Drive runs directly up to an entrance to the parking lot of NOVA’s campus.

Streets leading off Wakefield Chapel Road, the main route into the school from Little River Turnpike, make up the largest part of the Northern Virginia Community College residential permit parking district. As the name would suggest, cars parked on the roads in that zone must have permits.

The county will put signs in place on Chapel Drive to alert potential rulebreakers, who would face a $75 fine for a parking violation.

“All the streets surrounding us have restrictions, so we are the main thoroughfare and the main parking lot for students,” said Clyde Hutchison, a resident of Chapel Drive. “This parking situation has caused a severe safety issue.”

Another resident of the street, Eugene Lee, expressed worry over his children’s safety with so many cars coming through. He also noted the increased risk of accidents.

“Chapel Drive is a narrow street,” said Eugene Lee, another resident of the street. “When you have cars parked on both sides, drivers face a gauntlet.”

While NOVA’s neighbors seek respite from students and their cars, the students are looking for their own relief. Students park on neighborhood roads to avoid paying for a parking permit for the school lots.

The permits run $105 per semester, or $95 if purchased online. Campus visitors can also use the onsite parking deck for fees of $2 per hour or $12 per day.

NOVA does not want to eliminate parking fees, as it depends on that revenue. However, the college is exploring alternatives to the current system. A task force on the parking issue presented recommendations to NOVA’s College Board on March 10.

The suggested changes included reducing the parking permit fee, allowing students to park for free on evenings and weekends and reimbursing part of the parking fees for students who graduate within a set timeframe. The task force also recommended offsetting some of the lost revenue with a per-credit-hour infrastructure fee.

These recommendations will be submitted to the State Board for Community Colleges for approval in May, and if accepted would take effect in the fall semester.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parking problems continue for NOVA neighbors
Posted by: Ytpkm ()
Date: March 30, 2014 10:30PM

Just raise the tuition and make parking free. Does it take a genious to realize this?

Posted by: Walter White ()
Date: March 31, 2014 07:22AM

It must be all them damn foreigners. I went to NOVA both before and after I went away to real college and never even considered not buying a parking permit and parking in the student lot. Maybe it's gotten fuller in recent years with the additional buildings?

Posted by: Foreigners. ()
Date: March 31, 2014 08:10AM

Fuck you, Fairfax County! And fuck you too, NVCC! Where ever you set your parking restrictions...I'll park just outside of that and walk. I'm not paying to park for my education...sorry. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go and figure out the next building to knock down...

Posted by: Typical School ()
Date: March 31, 2014 08:14AM

Like GMU and Ffx County high schools, they like to gouge the hell out of people on parking. It's ridiculous. They clearly employ the same type of people you'd find at any other monopoly that loves to stick it to a captive market.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 31, 2014 11:13AM

You and I both live in Fairfax County. You live in a school zone and I don't. You can park on my street any time you want. I cannot legally park on your street at certain times...even if the reason I am there is to visit someone living on the street or do work at their residence. And this is fair how?

Posted by: resident78945 ()
Date: March 31, 2014 02:29PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You and I both live in Fairfax County. You live
> in a school zone and I don't. You can park on my
> street any time you want. I cannot legally park
> on your street at certain times...even if the
> reason I am there is to visit someone living on
> the street or do work at their residence. And
> this is fair how?

These signs were put in my neighborhood because I live near a high school and a college and I had the same questions. If you're doing work at someone's house in a parking district like this, you are exempt (as long as your vehicle is clearly marked as a service or delivery vehicle). Each single family home gets a visitor pass. If you are visiting them, you place it in your window.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/rppdfaq.htm

Posted by: livehereto ()
Date: March 31, 2014 02:58PM

We live off Wakefield Chapel rd so I see the parking situation often. I feel for the residents nearer Nova - its unsafe to have such high volume high turnover parking on a busy street like Wakefield. I can only imagine what thats like on the side streets - must suck. The school built a new parking structure and they should make all students park there.

Personally Id just issue zone permits like they do in Arlington. A couple 50 dollar tickets and those fine young scholars would be glad to pay $95 per semester (dirt cheap if you ask me). Basically 25 bucks a month to park on campus - these students are cheap as hell.

Posted by: XYZ ()
Date: April 10, 2014 10:38AM

Hopefully the Fall parking proposal will be approved for students to receive free parking after 4pm weekdays and all weekend. If this goes through it should encourage students to sign up for evening and weekend classes.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: April 10, 2014 12:50PM

The actual problem is there is not enough parking available for students at the school. When my wife attended she had had to arive at least 45 minutes before class started and drive round and round the parking lots looking for a space.

Posted by: facepalm ()
Date: April 10, 2014 01:48PM

Walter White Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It must be all them damn foreigners. I went to
> NOVA both before and after I went away to real
> college and never even considered not buying a
> parking permit and parking in the student lot.
> Maybe it's gotten fuller in recent years with the
> additional buildings?

You went away to a "real college" and still can't form a sentence using basic grammatical skills?

Posted by: fred ()
Date: April 10, 2014 02:59PM

the parking lot is always less than half full when i drive by. Cheap ass college students. I am suprised how far they walk to save a few bucks

Posted by: hGWXv ()
Date: April 10, 2014 08:39PM

your not paying shit and your insulting. why would anyone waste grammar skills on you ?

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: April 10, 2014 09:44PM

Include the parking fee in the tuition cost and be done with it.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.