HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Work begins Monday to widen I-66 between Gainesville and Haymarket
Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: April 05, 2014 09:30PM

Work begins Monday to widen I-66 between Gainesville and Haymarket
http://www.insidenova.com/news/prince_william/work-begins-monday-to-widen-i--between-gainesville-and/article_e2f6e21e-bc1f-11e3-b226-0019bb2963f4.html

Work is set to begin Monday on a $73.5 million project to widen Interstate 66 between Gainesville and Haymarket, Virginia Department of Transportation officials said this week.

The project will add one high-occupancy vehicle lane and one regular lane in each direction on a three-mile section of I-66, between U.S. 29 in Gainesville and U.S. 15 in Haymarket.

“The project will improve traffic flow to and from Haymarket, western Prince William and eastern Fauquier counties and provide a continuous stretch of three regular lanes and one HOV lanes in each direction for 25 miles, from I-495 to Route 15,” VDOT officials said in a news release.

Crews will begin work April 7 on the first stage of the project, adding a left turn lane on westbound I-66 to U.S. 15, an area which traffic often backs up in the evening rush hour, VDOT officials said. Work on that lane should be completed by the end of June. Drivers can be expect the left shoulder to be closed and other lanes to be closed during “off-peak” hours while work is being done on this project, VDOT officials said.

Beginning April 13 and for the next two months, crews are expected to begin milling and paving work first on I-66 west and then on the eastbound lanes. During that time, drivers can expect nighttime lane closures, VDOT officials said.

The entire widening project is expected to be complete by the end of June.

Information and updates on the project can be found at www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/i-66_widening.asp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Work begins Monday to widen I-66 between Gainesville and Haymarket
Posted by: hk6Pw ()
Date: April 05, 2014 10:29PM

Adding more lanes in Gainesville so that the traffic is shifted to the roads in Fairfax. That is the end result.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: April 05, 2014 11:04PM

Sprawl and Crawl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > The entire widening project is expected to be
> complete by the end of June.
>
>

Try fall 2016

Posted by: 0tter ()
Date: April 05, 2014 11:47PM

What still sucks is the exit to 15. And the traffic down 15. Bypass Gainesville with a quick stop free road before it's too late. Everyone is only passing through on their way to more interesting things.

Posted by: Cal Pepper ()
Date: April 06, 2014 12:42AM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Sprawl and Crawl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > The entire widening project is expected to be
> > complete by the end of June.
> >
> >
>
> Try fall 2016

At best.

Poor fuckers driving into town can add another hour to their commute for the duration. And it won't make traffic any better when it's done.

Posted by: libs suck it ()
Date: April 06, 2014 07:31AM

Libs and illegals are still going to drive slow in the left lane and stay spread out as to interfere with traffic like they do with everybody's lives.

Fuck libs.
LIVE FREE!

Posted by: Haymarket ()
Date: April 06, 2014 09:51AM

The first phase of the widening is going to add another left turn lane at Exit 40. Then when the new 66/15 interchange project kicks off later this year they are going add a third left turn lane.

90% of the backups at Exit 40 are all the impatient people who don't want to take Exit 43 and sit through the construction traffic at Rt. 29 and Linton Hall. Once that project wraps up next year I predict things will get better at Exit 40.

A longer term project is going to widen Rt. 15 from Rt. 55 to Rt. 29 and add an overpass at that railroad crossing. NVTA already dedicated the funds to get things rolling, so it should be a project that gets done within the next 5 or so years.

Posted by: Bumper2bumper ()
Date: April 06, 2014 10:23AM

Haymarket Wrote:
> NVTA already dedicated the
> funds to get things rolling, so it should be a
> project that gets done within the next 5 or so
> years.

Translation- 5 years of traffic nightmares on I-66

They have been working on that Gainesville project for what seems like 20 years now. By they way, isn't Gainesville one of the ugliest locations in the state of VA?

Posted by: Haymarket ()
Date: April 06, 2014 10:44AM

The Gainesville project started in 2011. VDOT started demolishing the buildings it acquired along Rt. 29 in 2008 or so but it hasn't been 20 years. Definitely agree it should be faster though, especially when you consider how fast the private sector was able to build the 495 and 95 HOT lanes.

Ugliest? Not so sure about that. Have you ever been to Hampton Roads?

Posted by: quit ()
Date: April 06, 2014 04:49PM

Quit building roads and these motherfuckers might go back the fuck where they come from.

Meanwhile, if you have to go so far out to afford all those wonderful faux finishes in your particle board and vinyl shack, sit in the fucking traffic to get there!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.