HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Schools
Posted by: Mike B. ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:09PM

I am thinking of moving to Fairfax for a job opportunity in the summer. I have two kids. They will be in first and third grade for the 2014-2015 school year. I want to live in Fairfax so I would like your input for the public schools I found in Fairfax.
Elementaries: Bonnie Brae, Daniels Run, Eagle View, Fairfax Villa, Fairhill, Greenbriar East, Greenbriar West, Laurel Ridge, Lees Corner, Little Run, Mantua, Mosby Woods, Navy, Oak View, Olde Creek, Providence, Wakefield Forest, and Willow Springs
Middles: Frost, Lanier, Robinson
Highs: Fairfax, Robinson, Woodson

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Schools
Posted by: imbiker ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:14PM

10-years ago probably a good move. Today not so. By time they hit middle/high school FCPS will be a third world country.

Glad my kids are done!

Posted by: FRM ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:25PM

All Fairfax County schools are the same. It's the students that are different.

Look up the free lunch stats on the FCPS website. The higher the percentage, the worse the school.

Put simply, you have to live where the trash DOESN'T. And that's going to cost you BIG TIME. Private schools might actually be cheaper than prime real estate.

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: March 18, 2014 07:33PM

We were quite happy with Robinson middle and high schools (same building). Woodson has gotten a lot of bad press recently because of several suicides. I would have suggested Clifton Elementary, but sadly it was closed a couple of years ago (largely for political reasons).

Posted by: Your best bet ()
Date: March 18, 2014 09:07PM

The best elementary schools in the county are mostly in McLean and Great Falls but you will have huge class sizes - Spring Hill, Churchill, Chesterbrook, Forestville, Great Falls Elementary. Among the best middle schools are Longfellow, Cooper, Frost. Best high schools in the are: Langely, McLean, Woodson, Fairfax. Don't ignore Arlington and Falls Church. They have great schools and spend more per student and are able to offer more programs because their ESOL population isn't as high. As with any school, look at the numbers of RFM (reduced free meals) - and ESOL percentages. The lower those rates, the better prepared student body that your kids will be surrounded by. Good luck.

Posted by: GoneDownhill ()
Date: March 18, 2014 09:59PM

FCPS is no longer a good school system and it will only get worse in the coming years. Move to Montgomery County MD instead.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: March 19, 2014 11:52AM

Louden County has newer and better schools than Fairfax.

Posted by: Helper ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:20PM

Mantua Elementary has been rated one of the best Elementary schools in the Country year after year.

Posted by: ProudMOSBYMOMMY ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:07PM

I am a proud parent of a Mosby Woods Mustang. They have a CETA program that enhances the arts integration program that is run through the Kennedy Center. They have an Advanced Academics Program for grades 3 through 6 where each AAP teacher has to have a gifted teaching certification license. This school has very good teachers and I have never heard of a student suspension since my child has been at this school. Mosby Woods Elementary is consistently rated the best elementary school in the Fairfax County Public School system.
My vote is MWES!

Posted by: NOVA ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:10PM

Laurel Ridge Is a perfect school..We always beat the county's Average score for Ecarts and Robinson is a Good School And it has many Clubs/Electives For Students..

Posted by: Rudeness ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:14PM

It's rude to say that any FCPS school is better than another! That is offensive to the school system and to parents seeking equal opportunity!

Posted by: 7GHWv ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:34PM

GoneDownhill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FCPS is no longer a good school system and it will
> only get worse in the coming years.

+1

Living on the reputation they earned in the 1980s and the remaining 2 or 3 decent schools in the system.

Every time I hear some moron parrot the "but Fairfax County schools are the best in the country," I ask them to kindly enroll their precious tots in Mount Vernon Woods or Hybla Valley.

Posted by: imbiker ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:51PM

Helper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mantua Elementary has been rated one of the best
> Elementary schools in the Country year after year.

Mantua and its elementary school is a Lake Wobegon of Northern Virginia, one of many locally, or so I've been told by the indigenous populations.

Or just ask its most famous (?) resident.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 08:54PM by imbiker.
Attachments:
gc.jpg

Posted by: Ffxmom ()
Date: April 04, 2014 08:20PM

Do not... I repeat do not under any circumstances go to Wakefield forest. The admin there is HORRIBLE. The teachers are treated with an incredible lack of respect by the principal and assistant principal. Instruction takes a backseat to meetings. My son is constantly saying there is no math because his teacher was in a meeting or because of patrols. My son has amazing teachers, but its obvious they walk on pins and needles and are forced to assess the kids to death.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.