HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why Don't Asian Parents Volunteer in Schools
Posted by: AsainParentsinSchools ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:57AM

I have been on the board of the PTA at 2 different Fairfax schools for the past 6 years and am very active. During that time I have only seen TWO Asian parents contribute to any activity. TWO.

Im not talking board leadership or even committee chairmanship, Im talking even scooping ice cream or hanging a poster. We are currently enrolled in a elementary school in Annandale where we have quite a large Asian student population yet everyone BUT Asian parents help.

What gives Asians? I am genuinely interested...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Don't Asian Parents Volunteer in Schools
Posted by: JpXWj ()
Date: April 27, 2013 12:43PM

I think the concept of "volunteering" does not exist in some cultures. I read somewhere that in Russia, they don't have civic associations. Like, community groups, professional associations, etc. Could be a cultural thing...

Posted by: asian princess ()
Date: April 27, 2013 01:00PM

We are too good to volunteer. That is what you whites are for.

Posted by: why do I volunteer? ()
Date: April 27, 2013 01:37PM

Too busy yelling at the kids to do better, taking the kids to piano lessons and Saturday "extra" school, etc.

I notice the same thing . . . I should probably be home yelling at my kid to work harder instead of volunteering in my community . . . I will take a lesson from them.

Posted by: WV RED ()
Date: April 27, 2013 01:48PM

because teenage boys love slanted pussy

Posted by: MLK republican ()
Date: April 27, 2013 01:54PM

Asians are so much smarter than Americans they know they would literally have to start at square one with the ABC's to teach anything and they would much rather clip their bonzai trees because it is very spiritual.

Posted by: Straight on a Slant ()
Date: April 27, 2013 02:02PM

Some chinks moved into the building where my business is in Fairfax City. Within weeks, the place now smells like cigarette smoke. Cigarette butts in the front walkway, too. They also put their business trash into the communal area trash, which is only emptied once a week. Needless to see, that trashcan often stinks up the foyer. They are very uncouth, and loud.

Disgusting maggots they are.

Posted by: Slant Six ()
Date: April 27, 2013 02:25PM

Whhaatt, You don't like the sound of tortured cats?

Posted by: Blasian ()
Date: April 27, 2013 03:21PM

You people truly can't be this ignorant and racist. This has to be a joke.

Posted by: cLmV7 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 04:53PM

Many Asian immigrants are from places with "second-world" conditions. Korea and China are not like Japan where everything is clean. It is common in South Korea to have open sewers running down the side of the street.

Posted by: a;slkksp ()
Date: April 27, 2013 05:02PM

Straight on a Slant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some chinks moved into the building where my
> business is in Fairfax City. Within weeks, the
> place now smells like cigarette smoke. Cigarette
> butts in the front walkway, too. They also put
> their business trash into the communal area trash,
> which is only emptied once a week. Needless to
> see, that trashcan often stinks up the foyer. They
> are very uncouth, and loud.
>
> Disgusting maggots they are.

It must be tough when their kids go to Princeton and your kid can't get a job at Taco Bell.

Posted by: Exactly ()
Date: April 27, 2013 09:32PM

I found that same thing in my 3 Kids 17 total years in FCPS. Been involved with Band, Orchestra, and Drama, had only 1 asian parent assist (they were married to a caucasian). In orchestra (heavy asian particpation) they always had to ask Band parents to help out since they never had enough from their families. It is quite true, may be cultural.

Posted by: yepper ()
Date: April 27, 2013 09:57PM

Asian parents don't volunteer because there is nothing in it for them. Our PTA tried reaching out and failed miserably. Some of the reasons they gave were beyond belief. One told me that they have no time to volunteer because they need to take care of their own. One told me that Asians are discriminated against in schools, especially TJ admissions. Another said that anything she needs she can get from the main office. But mostly they just did not return phone calls or e-mails.

Posted by: Dullew ()
Date: April 27, 2013 10:09PM

Asians are extraordinarily selfish and nasty people. They are also notoriously parasitic, which explains their presence here in the first place. Rather than stay and improve their own filthy countries, they take advantage of the society the white man has built. Then they give nothing in return.It is expected of them.

Posted by: Oh, Please ()
Date: April 27, 2013 10:43PM

Dullew Wrote:
> Asians are extraordinarily selfish and nasty
> people. They are also notoriously parasitic, which
> explains their presence here in the first place.
> Rather than stay and improve their own filthy
> countries, they take advantage of the society the
> white man has built. Then they give nothing in
> return.It is expected of them.

You're an idiot. But the OP made an interesting point that I had never thought about before. I don't think it's just Asians. I can't really remember any ethnic minority participating heavily in school volunteer activities. Must be something cultural. It would be interesting to get their perspective, if they dare poke their heads out on this forum.

Posted by: 0tter ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:04PM

They piss me off every time I drive through Centreville. You'll never be cut off more than in Centreville.

Posted by: Paxriver ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:15PM

Shyness,fear of misunderstanding, language barrier, PTA is a foreing concept, lack of cooperation, lack of social concern, belief of the white parents are better fit to run the show... If you want the help of ASEAN parents you need to guide them by the hands so they can overcome their difficulty or social structure belief. Once they are in they are in full speed.

Posted by: US Grantland ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:21PM

Yeah, those terrible Asians with all their work ethic, all their successful children, ambition, focus on education, willingness to take a risk in a foreign country, contribution to their professions, honoring their families, celebration of civilization that's twice as old as anything in the West. Yeah, fuck those awful guys. Sound like terrible, awful Americans to me. We should turn them all away because the one fucktard on this thread doesn't like the smell of smoke in his building.

Posted by: Grantland US ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:28PM

Yeah, those wonderful asians with backwards misogynistic culture, violent dope-dealing gangs, their free-rider parasitic mentality, cowardly leaving their lawless and corrupt countries instaed of staying and improving them, dishonoring family by leaving them behind to rot and be imprisoned. Yeah, we should all welcome them because one fucktard on thus thread feels the need to be oh-so pC.

Posted by: LIOLI ()
Date: April 28, 2013 01:23AM

Lol @ the guy trying to say Asian culture is somehow better than to ours just because it's older. If it's all that good, then why are they over here? And why are you here?

Posted by: Blame everybody ()
Date: April 28, 2013 07:37AM

Can't someone make an observation without someone replying who acts really immature and racist? Not here apparently, guess many of you are Prophet Mohammed at heart. Grow up. If you would be embarrassed to have the words attributed to you, don't post. Get professional help and become a decent member of society.

Posted by: I'll tell you why ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:01AM

It's because whites who volunteer at schools are hoping to create an advantage for their child by showing faculty they care about their academic well-being. It's just another form of grandstanding. Asians are generally humble people who will simply work hard to ensure their child has the skills necessary to be successful in the world without interfering (or, complaining, as whites often do when things don't go their way for their stupid child).

Posted by: A different view ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:47AM

Frankly I've had a different--and more positive--experience with parents of all cultural backgrounds volunteering in my children's elementary school. I'm Caucasian but never before thought about other volunteers' races/ethnicities in proportion to their population size in the school boundary area, but I see now that we have representation from every large group among volunteers, including those who have taken initiative in leading up major PTA projects, from all. An Asian mother led our major spring event last year and another major initiative this year. She's not an anomaly either. I think the OP has made a judgement likely based on a correlation that disregards other root causes to differing participation rates among parents in PTA orgs. If I were researching this, I'd be sure to study the differences in participation rates among newer immigrants, less economic security, etc. I see individuals volunteering more as they become more comfortable within the community.

Posted by: Goofy ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:00AM

Grantland US Wrote:
> Yeah, those wonderful asians with backwards
> misogynistic culture, violent dope-dealing gangs,
> their free-rider parasitic mentality, cowardly
> leaving their lawless and corrupt countries
> instaed of staying and improving them, dishonoring
> family by leaving them behind to rot and be
> imprisoned. Yeah, we should all welcome them
> because one fucktard on thus thread feels the need
> to be oh-so pC.

Let me guess, you're not a college grad, neither are your parents, you don't know any Asians personally, and you make less than $60K a year. Just because you're a loser and you've watched how successful Asians have become doesn't mean that you should waste time on a message board spouting your ignorance. I've literally not known a single educated person who's held these views.

Posted by: Sean Standard ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:05AM

LIOLI Wrote:
> Lol @ the guy trying to say Asian culture is
> somehow better than to ours just because it's
> older. If it's all that good, then why are they
> over here? And why are you here?

I don't think that's what that guy said. He said it's much older than anything in the west, which is true except for maybe Greece. Let's be serious, American culture is roughly 220 years old, Europe a couple thousand. China is a 5-thousand year-old culture. That's pretty impressive. As for your 'why are you here' comment. Are you a Native American? No? Well, I imagine ASians, Hispanics, and all other immigrants are here for the same reason why your great grandparents came here. They want a better life, though clearly intelligence doesn't run in your family.

Posted by: GoLow ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:06PM

Asians dont volunteer in schools because they are busy chargeing you for your slurpy at 7-11. lol

Posted by: Hasoo ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:36PM

No, Asian parents are way too busy running the family mini mart and saving every penny so their kids can go to MIT, Cornell or Cal Tech...

Posted by: Jelly Bean Wertheim ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:49PM

Because parent "volunteers" are really just brown-noser, helicopter moms trying to curry favor with teachers to ensure that their little Heather or Jacob is deemed a favorite student in the classroom. Asians are earning their achievements by merit. These parent volunteers are trying to do it the old fashioned way -- kiss ass and brown nose.

Posted by: convenience factor ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:40PM

Look, I like my shirts and suits done on time. If Asians volunteered at school, there is a good chance I'd have to wait an extra day to pick them up at the dry cleaners and I don't wat that.

Posted by: so what ()
Date: April 29, 2013 07:55AM

I am Asian. I do not participate in PTA.

I have 2 kids, a full time job, run my own business on the side & try to attend the smattering of events in the area centered around my culture (I want my kids to grow up at least with respect & understanding of their traditional culture and I just don't have time for PTA.

There's usually only one of us at home with the kids at any given moment so even if we chose to participate, we would have to bring our kids with us to the meetings (which is just disruptive), then dinner isn't ready on time & the kids have to go to bed late etc etc.

All in all, it's just too far down the list of priorities in our household & truth be told, it is a bit of a foreign concept to me. I don't know/see what the benefit or purpose of a PTA is, honestly.

I apologize if this seems wong (haha see what I did there) but I do not believe in agreeing to participate in something knowing I'm only going to be able to give 5% & not have time to attend the necessary meetings etc.

Posted by: b9WyE ()
Date: April 29, 2013 08:01AM

Jelly Bean Wertheim Wrote:
> Because parent "volunteers" are really just
> brown-noser, unemployed helicopter moms housewives trying to curry favor
> with teachers...

+1 and fixed it

I really get a kick out of people like the OP and their consistently judgmental attitudes toward those who don't believe that "it takes a village..." And focusing on Asians is a bit bigoted--it's their fault because they have it right? Both my wife and myself work and barely have time for the teachers' meeting schedules much less any volunteering or school fundraising activities. My kids and their own advancement come first--even if it means paying out-of-pocket for their outside activities and 529 accounts instead of yearly cruises or trips to Disney. If little Johnny with whatever defects he has isn't doing well or he isn't getting what my kids are getting, those are his parents' problems--nothing to do with the school or me. I already pay for the schools and, unwillingly, their free lunch programs with my taxes.

Posted by: %*%^&*#$%#$^# ()
Date: April 29, 2013 08:17AM

GoLow Wrote:
> Asians dont volunteer in schools because they are
> busy chargeing you for your slurpy at 7-11. lol

@ GoLow..........uh Asians don't run the 7-11 anymore. IT'S BUPIDY BUPIDY HAJI AND HIS MAGIC CARPET!!!!

Posted by: more suspect ()
Date: April 29, 2013 08:22AM

I wonder why the moms on welfare cant bother to show up. Its not like they have to go to work. At least the Asians have an excuse when they work 18 hour days.

Posted by: 2ndasianparent ()
Date: April 29, 2013 08:48AM

same here, both of us work full time and then drive the 3 kids to their various activities after school and on weekends...who has time for PTA??
But understanding that since we can't not contribute our time, my wife do contribute $$ tot he PTA and various school activities..

so what Wrote:
> I am Asian. I do not participate in PTA.
>
> I have 2 kids, a full time job, run my own
> business on the side & try to attend the
> smattering of events in the area centered around
> my culture (I want my kids to grow up at least
> with respect & understanding of their traditional
> culture and I just don't have time for PTA.
>
> There's usually only one of us at home with the
> kids at any given moment so even if we chose to
> participate, we would have to bring our kids with
> us to the meetings (which is just disruptive),
> then dinner isn't ready on time & the kids have to
> go to bed late etc etc.
>
> All in all, it's just too far down the list of
> priorities in our household & truth be told, it is
> a bit of a foreign concept to me. I don't know/see
> what the benefit or purpose of a PTA is, honestly.
>
>
> I apologize if this seems wong (haha see what I
> did there) but I do not believe in agreeing to
> participate in something knowing I'm only going to
> be able to give 5% & not have time to attend the
> necessary meetings etc.

Posted by: FD11 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:25AM

Why don't Asian parents volunteer?

Because they are too busy WORKING. See, unlike most Americans who are lazy and feel they are entitled to everything...most Asian people who are first (or even section generation) have very strong work ethic.

Posted by: Rearn to Sperr Correctry ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:35AM

FD11 Wrote:
> Why don't Asian parents volunteer?
>
> Because they are too busy WORKING. See, unlike
> most Americans who are lazy and feel they are
> entitled to everything...most Asian people who are
> first (or even section generation) have very
> strong work ethic.

I have heard that "section" generation Asians are very hard working. LOL, dummy.

Posted by: Exactly ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:37AM

I'll tell you why Wrote:
> It's because whites who volunteer at schools are
> hoping to create an advantage for their child by
> showing faculty they care about their academic
> well-being. It's just another form of
> grandstanding. Asians are generally humble people
> who will simply work hard to ensure their child
> has the skills necessary to be successful in the
> world without interfering (or, complaining, as
> whites often do when things don't go their way for
> their stupid child).

LOL, so true!

Posted by: omerta ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:04AM

because there's no advantage in it. They are opportunistic and out fore themsekves to beat you and roll over you but not to assist and volunteer. They want to be dentists, accountants, scientists - but not teachers, police, firemen, i.e. the beackbone of our society.

This is a courageous thread that only scratches the surface

Posted by: sadend ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:15AM

Blasian Wrote:
> You people truly can't be this ignorant and
> racist. This has to be a joke.

some of it is blatantly racist, especially the slurs - but other observations are dead on. Like them yelling at their kids for getting "B" because it brings dishonor on the famiry.

Posted by: always a one way street ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:28AM

omerta Wrote:
> because there's no advantage in it. They are
> opportunistic and out fore themsekves to beat you
> and roll over you but not to assist and volunteer.
> They want to be dentists, accountants, scientists
> - but not teachers, police, firemen, i.e. the
> beackbone of our society.
>
> This is a courageous thread that only scratches
> the surface

Very correct, while out participating in a stream cleanup day, we came across several asians "harvesting" plants along the creek bank. They are not interested in improving anything, just taking from it or what others have done.

Posted by: lawlz ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:31AM

LOL its funny because i can sense the fustration in your post. But what can you do about it but keep it bottled up inside and post your racist shit on this forum, i'll tell you, NOTHING. They gonna do what they want when they want and you cant do shit about it.

Maggot.

Posted by: Duggars ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:36AM

Do you really want Asians driving your kids around?

Posted by: Azn Parent ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:44AM

AsainParentsinSchools Wrote:
> I have been on the board of the PTA at 2 different
> Fairfax schools for the past 6 years and am very
> active. During that time I have only seen TWO
> Asian parents contribute to any activity. TWO.
>
> Im not talking board leadership or even committee
> chairmanship, Im talking even scooping ice cream
> or hanging a poster. We are currently enrolled in
> a elementary school in Annandale where we have
> quite a large Asian student population yet
> everyone BUT Asian parents help.
>
> What gives Asians? I am genuinely interested...

I'll tell you why, because there is no point. Why should i give my valuable time to volunteer at some stupid PTA meeting. Why noy just let you fools run the PTA. My child will be out of the public school system within 12 years so whats the point in dedicating my time to it?

We dont give a shit about the community because the community doesnt give a shit about us. We focus on improving ourselfs which is why we are usually always successful. Its probably stay at home mothers who leech of their husbands that attend this stupid PTA shit. We dont need to surround ourselfs with worthless whores like that.

Posted by: Asiano ()
Date: April 29, 2013 12:04PM

Volunteering is easier and less work then staying at home to cook dinner. While cooking, vacuuming the house, do a load of laundry. Then turn around do more cooking for the next day. When the kids get home dinner is ready instead of stopping by McDonald's on the way home. After dinner, hurry and wash the dishes so more time can spend at the homework table. Before homework start, Multiplication Table and Division Table must read out loud from memory.

More volunteer, more fat
More fat, more lazy
More lazy, more complaint
More complaint___________fill in the blank

Date: April 29, 2013 01:01PM

OP here - thanks for the replies (most of them anyway). I think there are some good points and insight to be gleaned here. Most notably the observation that PTA participation is a way to support and yes help our kids do better - I dont do it for my health that is for sure. Perhaps the Asian community seeks to support their children from home exclusively.

As to the 'they are used to a different land' concept I dont see it. Primarily because where I live in Annandale most of the parents grew up right here (they are 2nd generation) so they are more local than I am (I moved to DC in the 80's).

I have observed how intensely close-knit the Asian community is in terms of business. They support and patronize each other almost exclusively. Perhaps they perceive or imagine a non-Asian PTA is doing the same thing.

I have noticed that even when there is an Asian/other race marriage - we never see the Asian parent. Once an Asian dad (married to a non-Asian) came up to me the one time I saw him at school and said 'I just wish I could contribute time to the school like you do...' It rang extremely hollow even patronizing. He had a job not much different than my profession and there was nothing preventing him from pitching in (I knew the family from our co-op preschool - a place I never saw him either even though parents were required to participate).

In summation I can only conclude - they just dont feel like it. They dont see any reason to help out when the service is already being provided by the school and volunteers. I think there may be some truth to the observation that they see their most important support as being demanding of their kids from the comfort of their own homes...

Posted by: AnotherParent ()
Date: April 29, 2013 01:09PM

It's all about priorities and what one considers important with their limited time. I have a pretty intense job, grad school, am actively involved in my two kids lives, and volunteer in the PTA. That being said, I have neighbors who don't see it as a good use of their time and/or don't see what it brings to the school. I'd not thought of a cultural basis as to why certain groups might be more/less involved, but it's certainly possible.

Posted by: Knows many azns ()
Date: April 29, 2013 01:12PM

always a one way street Wrote:
>
> Very correct, while out participating in a stream
> cleanup day, we came across several asians
> "harvesting" plants along the creek bank. They are
> not interested in improving anything, just taking
> from it or what others have done.

You've got to be kidding. That's your example of "just taking"? That some people recognize and use a plant that they want to consume as part of a meal or make tea from that you would never touch? My only problem with what they are doing is that I wouldn't know what chemicals those wild growing plants have absorbed or been exposed to. Otherwise, why would you give a shit? Try to come up with something better than a red herring.

Posted by: MagazineGap ()
Date: April 29, 2013 01:32PM

> I have been on the board of the PTA at 2 different
> Fairfax schools for the past 6 years and am very
> active. During that time I have only seen TWO
> Asian parents contribute to any activity. TWO.
>
> Im not talking board leadership or even committee
> chairmanship, Im talking even scooping ice cream
> or hanging a poster. We are currently enrolled in
> a elementary school in Annandale where we have
> quite a large Asian student population yet
> everyone BUT Asian parents help.
>
> What gives Asians? I am genuinely interested...

Good for you; you volunteer.

But, simply because you choose to do so doesn't mean others should be shamed because they don't.

By pointing an accusatory finger, you are exposing yourself as one who volunteers not because you are intrinsically a good person, but because you want to be seen as a good person.

Date: April 29, 2013 01:52PM

MagazineGap Wrote:
> AsainParentsinSchools Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have been on the board of the PTA at 2
> different
> > Fairfax schools for the past 6 years and am
> very
> > active. During that time I have only seen TWO
> > Asian parents contribute to any activity. TWO.
> >
> > Im not talking board leadership or even
> committee
> > chairmanship, Im talking even scooping ice
> cream
> > or hanging a poster. We are currently enrolled
> in
> > a elementary school in Annandale where we have
> > quite a large Asian student population yet
> > everyone BUT Asian parents help.
> >
> > What gives Asians? I am genuinely
> interested...
>
>
> Good for you; you volunteer.
>
> But, simply because you choose to do so doesn't
> mean others should be shamed because they don't.
>
> By pointing an accusatory finger, you are exposing
> yourself as one who volunteers not because you are
> intrinsically a good person, but because you want
> to be seen as a good person.

Of course I do want to be seen as a good person - sue me.

Notwithstanding that I do it exclusively to 1. Benefit my kids by showing them I care deeply about them and especially the importance of school and learning. 2. Model civic participation to my kids. 3. Know the school and its teachers so that I can work with them if I do have a problem at the school.

Working for the benefit of others is far down the list for me.

Most parents dont participate and I do understand that. What prompted me to post was the disparity between the demographics and participation we have African Americans (5% of the population in Annandale) participating, Hispanics (14.49%) participating, Pacific Islanders (5.94%) participating - yet virtually no Asians (~20%).

By the way I know many hard working non-Asians that have long hours on the job and big responsibilities and bring their kids to endless sports, camps, music lessons - they also volunteer, sometimes a great deal.

Posted by: what the hell ()
Date: April 29, 2013 03:52PM

The Bigot Blog ... who would want to take time out from working long hours, running children to extra curricular activities, volunteering for community work with people whom share the same culture & flavours to be surrounded by the likes of the vile bigoted posters on this forum.

There is some nasty, nasty lowly people commenting on this forum. Why don't you actually ask an Asian person face to face, don't worry they won't bite you.

Posted by: what the hell ()
Date: April 29, 2013 03:58PM

I think by just the fact that one would come here for a reason as to why a social condition exists, non directly, as if a questionnaire upon a bathroom wall, reveals an inner stench in character that hindered the one-on-one direct approach.

It's very akin to willingly throwing an Asian pinata out in the public so it can be given some good old public swings.

This was you MO, this is the vile content that you ordered up as your fecal matter du jour. Enjoy your unpalatable feast.

Posted by: We are to blame ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:22PM

Asians are the worst thing for any community! Not only do they never volunteer for anything, PTA, Snack Bar, Teachers Aid, Crossing Guard etc.... they use every county resource to the fullest. Any day of the week count the Asians walking the trail at Burke Lake, or any other park. They also give nothing back - at Christmas time stand next to a Salvation Army volunteer ringing a bell, then count the number of Asians that drop even a nickel in the bucket -ZERO!!!! At Halloween see how many of them answer their door. All they do is take!!! Over crowd our public schools because to them it is free since the majority have "cash only businesses" and pay little if any taxes. Once they open up their "cash only businesses" watch who they contract with to build their space - Asian only!!! Promote their own!!!
We stand at our borders with open arm only to receive the constant slap in the face! We then wonder why this great country has turned to shit....

Posted by: Eat my shit ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:25PM

We are to blame Wrote:
> Asians are the worst thing for any community! Not
> only do they never volunteer for anything, PTA,
> Snack Bar, Teachers Aid, Crossing Guard etc....
> they use every county resource to the fullest. Any
> day of the week count the Asians walking the trail
> at Burke Lake, or any other park. They also give
> nothing back - at Christmas time stand next to a
> Salvation Army volunteer ringing a bell, then
> count the number of Asians that drop even a nickel
> in the bucket -ZERO!!!! At Halloween see how many
> of them answer their door. All they do is take!!!
> Over crowd our public schools because to them it
> is free since the majority have "cash only
> businesses" and pay little if any taxes. Once they
> open up their "cash only businesses" watch who
> they contract with to build their space - Asian
> only!!! Promote their own!!!
> We stand at our borders with open arm only to
> receive the constant slap in the face! We then
> wonder why this great country has turned to
> shit....

You are one stupid fuck, you know that?

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:40PM

MagazineGap Wrote:
> Good for you; you volunteer.
>
> But, simply because you choose to do so doesn't
> mean others should be shamed because they don't.
>
> By pointing an accusatory finger, you are exposing
> yourself as one who volunteers not because you are
> intrinsically a good person, but because you want
> to be seen as a good person.

Everyone should volunteer. A good deal of what makes a community a good place to live comes from the upaid efforts of those who live there. If you are not volunteering, then you are not contributing and are freeloading on the efforts of others. Paying taxes does not entitle you to sit on your ass and do nothing any more than poverty is an excuse for not contributing.

However not everyone needs to volunteer for every activity. A family may not be volunteering at school because they are already devoting a good amount of time volunteering as coach of some sports team, running a scouts troop, feeding the homeless, running some civic association project or taking on some major task at church. Unless you know someone and what they are involved in, you may not be able to say whether they volunteer. All you may know is that they don't volunteer in the things you volunteer in.

One difficulty you run into with certain groups is that they tend to volunteer in activities for that particular group.

Thus endeth the sermon.

Posted by: mark j ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:56PM

Don't blame the Asians.. kid went to Bush Hill Elem years ago...only the white mothers volunteered...NO Muslims, NO hispanics, no blacks...no Asians....

ALL LAZY FUCKS

Posted by: We are to blame ()
Date: April 29, 2013 08:32PM

Dear eat my shit....
Please prove me wrong - show me how stupid I really am....I've stated facts, you've done nothing - like the rest of the Asians

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:16PM

I'll tell you why Wrote:
> It's because whites who volunteer at schools are
> hoping to create an advantage for their child by
> showing faculty they care about their academic
> well-being.

This is a pathetically ignorant statement. There is no possible mechanism for such a scenario to work. Only someone with no inside knowledge of what volunteers do could make such a statement.

Posted by: Wang don't play that ()
Date: April 29, 2013 09:24PM

Asians don't do team anything. Team sports, volunteering, etc. Take a look around at any sporting event. With very rare exceptions, you will Asians only at individual sports - tennis, golf, swimming, etc. virtually none in basketball, soccer, etc, and those that are are usually 3rd generation.

Date: April 29, 2013 09:57PM

OP again.

For those of you that wish to see my post as racist I do sympathize - I am far left leaning and would be suspect of the thread myself. Maybe I am racist. I hope not but its certainly possible.

In my post I mean to only reflect my own experience - and its extensive with 6 years of being on the PTA board and running multiple programs. I WANT the participation of everyone I am just befuddled by my own experience NOT seeing more than 2 Asians participating in all my time volunteering. I want Asian input, help and leadership - it simply is not forthcoming.

This all came to mind when my wife said that an Asian co-worker commented that Asians wont sign up for events but will be there in force when the events occur. My experience is they dont sign up and dont volunteer and I live in an area where they are the second largest ethnic group.

Im glad to hear there are schools with high Asian participation - I just have been unlucky enough to attend 2 that are not blessed with same...

Finally I will state to all of those parents that think volunteers are 'suckers' or 'stupid' or 'lazy' - you are wrong. As a whole volunteers tend to consist of parents with very successful kids. They volunteer out of passion for learning and that passion is most often passed along to their kids.

Posted by: Eat My Shit ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:05PM

We are to blame Wrote:
> Dear eat my shit....
> Please prove me wrong - show me how stupid I
> really am....I've stated facts, you've done
> nothing - like the rest of the Asians

You write like a retard and your facts are merely your retarded observations. Did you go to college? You seriously write like a fucking idiot.

Posted by: amhunglo ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:21PM

Eat My Shit Wrote:
> We are to blame Wrote:
> -----
> > Dear eat my shit....
> > Please prove me wrong - show me how stupid I
> > really am....I've stated facts, you've done
> > nothing - like the rest of the Asians
>
>
> You write like a retard and your facts are merely
> your retarded observations. Did you go to college?
> You seriously write like a fucking idiot.

I think you meant to say Seriously, you write like a fucking idiot.

Posted by: Nutin But Zetruth ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:45PM

My elementary school in FFX COUNTY had parent coffees to discuss topics of interest. These coffees were held during the day. Who else but stay-at-home white women, helicopter moms in their bursting-at-the-seam spandex peddle pushers were available to meet during the day. The rest of working America is, well, WORKING! You ask why other minority groups don't volunteer...it's because they are working to support their families. While the coffee clatch at Starbucks -- I know because I see them on my way to work -- sit there and just bitch, moan, sigh, connive, strategize, and brag on how their kids are making A's because mom is doing all their homework and special projects.

Posted by: onthedole ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:47PM

b9WyE Wrote:
> Jelly Bean Wertheim Wrote:
> -----
> > Because parent "volunteers" are really just
> > brown-noser, unemployed helicopter moms
> housewives trying to curry favor
> > with teachers...
>
> +1 and fixed it
>
> I really get a kick out of people like the OP and
> their consistently judgmental attitudes toward
> those who don't believe that "it takes a
> village..." And focusing on Asians is a bit
> bigoted--it's their fault because they have it
> right? Both my wife and myself work and barely
> have time for the teachers' meeting schedules much
> less any volunteering or school fundraising
> activities. My kids and their own advancement
> come first--even if it means paying out-of-pocket
> for their outside activities and 529 accounts
> instead of yearly cruises or trips to Disney. If
> little Johnny with whatever defects he has isn't
> doing well or he isn't getting what my kids are
> getting, those are his parents' problems--nothing
> to do with the school or me. I already pay for
> the schools and, unwillingly, their free lunch
> programs with my taxes.

Hey jackass - you pay 'unwillingly for free lunch programs' (Federal) while property owners in the county pay for your little darlings' education weather or not they have kids. Seniors, single persons and couples without kids pay taxes to run the school for you and your kids.

And you so resent the fact you have to pay for free lunches - idiot. You are milking all the people without kids for your own selfish, socialist needs. Add to that the fact you feel entitled to their hard earned $$ and you are just soooo busy you cannot possibly help out at school. Typical self-absorbed conservative jackass...

Posted by: Doley ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:11PM

Liberals are such stupid loudmouthed assholes.

Posted by: The more you know ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:18PM

The PTA is a fuckin waste of time anyway. The soccer moms heavily involved in that stuff just need something to occupy their time waiting for their husbands to come home and fuck them after work. Asians don't waste time with this bullshit because they are actually involved in their children's lives at home. It's not like your typical white family where you have a step parent who doesn't give a shit about you and half brothers and sisters who are a pain in the ass. All the while, the real parent is busy trying to maintain a good relationship and appease their second wife/husband so they too won't run off. Asians simply put their kids ahead of everything else.

Posted by: Fungo ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:26PM

Asians are notoriously nasty and selfish, and their culture and history is positively barbaric. Asians are hateful little fukkerz who take, take, take, and take. They have no sense of community.

Re: Why Don't Asian Parents Volunteer in HillBilly Schools
Posted by: GS7FiG ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:52AM

As an American married to an Asian woman...the US ed system is generally behind many Asian nations, so much Asian parent focus is on making up for the shortfall of our public ( and private) systems which are anecdotally about 2 years behind from the start. So, the focus is less on the socializing which takes place and more on access on supplementing education just to get to similar Asian standards.

I grew up in FCPS system and have great memories. My mother worked in it, so the food on our table and roof over our heads was provided by her hard work and the taxpayers. I learned a great deal and relative to the US competiton fare well. But vs. the global community...

Posted by: eagle64 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:06AM

@Knows many azns: +1 I, too, have seen Asians collecting watercress from the suburban streams in Fairfax County. One should never eat any plants or fish from these streams due to the pollution from storm sewer runoff and other sources. I have enjoyed wild watercress in a salad, but it was harvested from a pristine stream in Augusta County, VA. http://thisismypond.blogspot.com/2010/12/mere-eight-years-ago-4800-miles-of_09.html

Posted by: Goddard ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:24AM

Yup, the entire global community had landed on the moon. No wait, the Chinese are about 60 years behind us on that one. And I thin the Asian idiots only now have their first aircraft carrier, which they bought from the Russians. Oh, but they are soooo advanced. Pffffft.......

Posted by: East Gate ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:45AM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> I'll tell you why Wrote:
> -----
> > It's because whites who volunteer at schools
> are
> > hoping to create an advantage for their child
> by
> > showing faculty they care about their academic
> > well-being.
>
> This is a pathetically ignorant statement. There
> is no possible mechanism for such a scenario to
> work. Only someone with no inside knowledge of
> what volunteers do could make such a statement.

Please don't be stupid.

Posted by: SouthKoreatops ()
Date: April 30, 2013 07:22AM

And yet S. Korea is among the very top performers at education - maybe Asian (or at least Korean) parents do just tutor their kids after school and skip the schmoozing...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/best-education-in-the-wor_n_2199795.html

Date: April 30, 2013 07:45AM

onthedole Wrote:

> Hey jackass - you pay 'unwillingly for free lunch
> programs' (Federal) while property owners in the
> county pay for your little darlings' education
> weather or not they have kids. Seniors, single
> persons and couples without kids pay taxes to run
> the school for you and your kids.
>
> And you so resent the fact you have to pay for
> free lunches - idiot. You are milking all the
> people without kids for your own selfish,
> socialist needs. Add to that the fact you feel
> entitled to their hard earned $$ and you are just
> soooo busy you cannot possibly help out at school.
> Typical self-absorbed conservative jackass...

You really have no fucking clue about me or of what you are talking about. By law, I have to send to my kids to school. I didn't demand that "entitlement" and I pay taxes for it, too, so I'm not going out-of-pocket for their tuition. You don't want to pay for it, take it up with your elected reps, dipshit.

Date: April 30, 2013 07:48AM

onthedole Wrote:

>You are milking all the
> people without kids for your own selfish,
> socialist needs.
>
>Typical self-absorbed conservative jackass...

So I'm a socialist AND conservative? You're insane!

Posted by: One Observation ()
Date: April 30, 2013 08:04AM

Asians don't volunteer for the same reasons that they have no concept of charitable giving nor would ever consider adopting other peoples' babies: if it doesn't profit their family monetarily, they aren't interested. They're superstitious, not spiritual. The ones who do follow religion tend to worship their own ancestors - not a shared figure. It's no surprise that they couldn't care less about wasting time with non-family.

Posted by: Embrace the Diversity ()
Date: April 30, 2013 08:09AM

^^^

One Observation Wrote:
> Asians don't volunteer for the same reasons that
> they have no concept of charitable giving nor
> would ever consider adopting other peoples'
> babies: if it doesn't profit their family
> monetarily, they aren't interested. They're
> superstitious, not spiritual. The ones who do
> follow religion tend to worship their own
> ancestors - not a shared figure. It's no surprise
> that they couldn't care less about wasting time
> with non-family.

Posted by: academic ()
Date: April 30, 2013 09:42AM

If anyone has access to academic journals (e.g. University subscriptions) here are some papers on this issue. http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=related:Lb7RzUXSIa0J:scholar.google.com/&hl=en&as_sdt=0,47&as_vis=1

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: April 30, 2013 09:48AM

US Grantland Wrote:
> Yeah, those terrible Asians with all their work
> ethic, all their successful children, ambition,
> focus on education, willingness to take a risk in
> a foreign country, contribution to their
> professions, honoring their families, celebration
> of civilization that's twice as old as anything in
> the West. Yeah, fuck those awful guys. Sound like
> terrible, awful Americans to me. We should turn
> them all away because the one fucktard on this
> thread doesn't like the smell of smoke in his
> building.

Those same asians who smile at you in person are talking bad about you as soon as you leave. They are very judgmental and size you up based solely on the brand of clothing you wear.

Date: April 30, 2013 10:13AM

> OP here - thanks for the replies (most of them
> anyway). I think there are some good points and
> insight to be gleaned here. Most notably the
> observation that PTA participation is a way to
> support and yes help our kids do better - I dont
> do it for my health that is for sure. Perhaps the
> Asian community seeks to support their children
> from home exclusively.
>
> As to the 'they are used to a different land'
> concept I dont see it. Primarily because where I
> live in Annandale most of the parents grew up
> right here (they are 2nd generation) so they are
> more local than I am (I moved to DC in the 80's).
>
> I have observed how intensely close-knit the Asian
> community is in terms of business. They support
> and patronize each other almost exclusively.
> Perhaps they perceive or imagine a non-Asian PTA
> is doing the same thing.
>
> I have noticed that even when there is an
> Asian/other race marriage - we never see the Asian
> parent. Once an Asian dad (married to a
> non-Asian) came up to me the one time I saw him at
> school and said 'I just wish I could contribute
> time to the school like you do...' It rang
> extremely hollow even patronizing. He had a job
> not much different than my profession and there
> was nothing preventing him from pitching in (I
> knew the family from our co-op preschool - a place
> I never saw him either even though parents were
> required to participate).
>
> In summation I can only conclude - they just dont
> feel like it. They dont see any reason to help
> out when the service is already being provided by
> the school and volunteers. I think there may be
> some truth to the observation that they see their
> most important support as being demanding of their
> kids from the comfort of their own homes...

You have had multiple Asian parents comment specifically about why they don't participate. Their experience is anecdotal & limited. Your experience is also anectodal and limited and yet you decide to pick out the most negative of your experiences and attribute those (and only those) negatives to the entire population.

Your comments suggest that you have already decided why Asian parents don't participate and anything an Asian parent say is immediately just written off via one of your pre-defined reasons.

Your fixation on ethnicity and your insistence on attributing only the most negative connatations possible while ignoring/dismissing other viewpoints/opinions means you probably are, on some level, racist.

Beyond all of that, your assessment of the importance of your PTA is silly.

You act like you're saving the world. You hold bake sales and car washes to pay for extraneous crap that isn't necessary trying to make school a social affair.

Which brings me to my final point.

Do You want to know the real, underlying reason we don't participate?

For the same reason you won't find us standing at the candy machine talking about Survivor for an hour. For the same reason you won't find us lingering at the monthly birthday social in the break room gnawing on cake and gossiping for 2 hours. For the same reason you won't find us at the company happy hour until 9pm.

It's work. I come to work to work, not socialize. My kids go to school to work. They don't go to school to spend time worrying about some dumbass car wash, bake sale, or selling M&M's & crappy cheesecakes @ 800% above normal retail price.

They have one goal, get decent grades. Time spent at a bake sale is time spent working against that goal. Time spent trying to raise $1000 for some unnecessary field trip is time working against that goal.

It's called focus.

My kids carry 3.8+ GPA's, are trilingual, don't smoke weed, aren't breaking into people's cars & are well-versed in multiple cultures. They respect the family as a social unit and they know the value of hard, focused work. I don't need to host a fucking bake sale.

I'm glad you found something that makes you feel important, needed & helpful in your child's life. The reality is that your participation in PTA is for you, not your kids.

Posted by: under the radar ()
Date: April 30, 2013 10:52AM

what the hell Wrote:
> The Bigot Blog ... who would want to take time out
> from working long hours, running children to extra
> curricular activities, volunteering for community
> work with people whom share the same culture &
> flavours to be surrounded by the likes of the vile
> bigoted posters on this forum.
>
> There is some nasty, nasty lowly people commenting
> on this forum. Why don't you actually ask an Asian
> person face to face, don't worry they won't bite
> you.

I would but the only place I see them is scurrying hurriedly around stores like Costco blocking the aisles (during the weekday, but another poster said they cant come to mid day school programs because both parents are working ALL THE TIME,,,right). They dont show up at back to school nights, sporting events, community fairs etc. etc.. They must be working 24/7

Posted by: dontdobakesales ()
Date: April 30, 2013 10:57AM

sowhat, if you spent 10 minutes looking at the volunteer list, you'd see that bake sales are far down on the list. I've volunteered for years, and most of the time I'm tutoring the ESOL kids--on my own time, for free--so that they get some enrichment and the rest of the class can proceed at the standard pace. Other times I've pulled out the advanced kids (your child, perhaps?) for the same reason.

So your little Einstein's stellar grades are in part thanks to a volunteer, working for free for the betterment of the school system for *all.*

P.S. Volunteering in the classroom is entirely separate from the PTA. Again, educate yourself on what "volunteering" means in the age of strapped school budgets and overcrowded schools.

Date: April 30, 2013 11:04AM

dontdobakesales Wrote:
> sowhat, if you spent 10 minutes looking at the
> volunteer list, you'd see that bake sales are far
> down on the list. I've volunteered for years, and
> most of the time I'm tutoring the ESOL kids--on my
> own time, for free--so that they get some
> enrichment and the rest of the class can proceed
> at the standard pace. Other times I've pulled out
> the advanced kids (your child, perhaps?) for the
> same reason.
>
> So your little Einstein's stellar grades are in
> part thanks to a volunteer, working for free for
> the betterment of the school system for *all.*
>
> P.S. Volunteering in the classroom is entirely
> separate from the PTA. Again, educate yourself on
> what "volunteering" means in the age of strapped
> school budgets and overcrowded schools.

The OP's original rant was abou the PTA specifically.

I appreciate your efforts to volunteer in the classroom, I applaud the fact that you chose to fill your free time when everyone else is at work earning a living by helping at your local school. That's fantastic, but even by your own admission, what you do is entirely seperate from the PTA, and therefore, not really pertinent to this particular discussion.

Posted by: dontdobakesales ()
Date: April 30, 2013 11:11AM

Right, except that the title of the thread is "Why Don't Asian Parents Volunteer in Schools." If you in fact help out in the classroom, my apologies.

And, as it happens, I do earn a living--quite a good one--as a computer programmer. I'm lucky in that I telecommute most days so I can duck out during my "free time" to help tutor once a week. Be careful with your stereotypes....

Date: April 30, 2013 11:47AM

GoLow Wrote:
> Asians dont volunteer in schools because they are
> busy chargeing you for your slurpy at 7-11. lol

... or stealing your dry cleaning.

Date: April 30, 2013 11:51AM

so what Wrote:
> I am Asian. I do not participate in PTA.
>
> I have 2 kids, a full time job, run my own
> business on the side & try to attend the
> smattering of events in the area centered around
> my culture (I want my kids to grow up at least
> with respect & understanding of their traditional
> culture and I just don't have time for PTA.
>
> There's usually only one of us at home with the
> kids at any given moment so even if we chose to
> participate, we would have to bring our kids with
> us to the meetings (which is just disruptive),
> then dinner isn't ready on time & the kids have to
> go to bed late etc etc.
>
> All in all, it's just too far down the list of
> priorities in our household & truth be told, it is
> a bit of a foreign concept to me. I don't know/see
> what the benefit or purpose of a PTA is, honestly.
>
>
> I apologize if this seems wong (haha see what I
> did there) but I do not believe in agreeing to
> participate in something knowing I'm only going to
> be able to give 5% & not have time to attend the
> necessary meetings etc.

How about assimilating into the culture of THIS country? We don't need people like you balkanizing America into a bunch of ethinic enclaves. If you culture is so important, why not stay in China?

PTA is usually the only interaction that parents get with the school that they entrust to educate their kids. I would want to get to know some of the loons who are trying to indoctrinate them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 11:53AM by LetsRock.

Date: April 30, 2013 12:06PM

mark j Wrote:
> Don't blame the Asians.. kid went to Bush Hill
> Elem years ago...only the white mothers
> volunteered...NO Muslims, NO hispanics, no
> blacks...no Asians....
>
> ALL LAZY FUCKS

The reason why these women don't volunteer:

Muslim - Husband won't allow her to leave the house.
Hispanic - She is cleaning the house of the "white" mother so she can volunteer.
Black - She is running a prostitution ring out of her apartment so she has no time for anthing that doesn't pay.
Asian - She is hanging out at the McDonalds drinking unlimited coffee refills and insulting all the other women behind their back.

Date: April 30, 2013 12:14PM

eagle64 Wrote:
> @Knows many azns: +1 I, too, have seen Asians
> collecting watercress from the suburban streams in
> Fairfax County. One should never eat any plants or
> fish from these streams due to the pollution from
> storm sewer runoff and other sources. I have
> enjoyed wild watercress in a salad, but it was
> harvested from a pristine stream in Augusta
> County, VA.
> http://thisismypond.blogspot.com/2010/12/mere-eigh
> t-years-ago-4800-miles-of_09.html

They will also trap and kill any wild ducks and geese they come across.

Date: April 30, 2013 12:53PM

LetsRock Wrote:

>
> How about assimilating into the culture of THIS
> country? We don't need people like you
> balkanizing America into a bunch of ethinic
> enclaves. If you culture is so important, why not
> stay in China?
>
> PTA is usually the only interaction that parents
> get with the school that they entrust to educate
> their kids. I would want to get to know some of
> the loons who are trying to indoctrinate them.

I never said my kids aren't assimilated. It is entirely possibly to assimiliate into a culture while still maintaining & appreciating the culture of your ethnic heritage. Some people can just multi-task like that.

As for the PTA being your only interaction with the school, in this area that is simply not true. Between the online access to your child's records, one on one meetings with teachers, emails etc there is FAR more access to a child's academics & his teachers than ever before and I don't need a bake sale to accomplish any of that.

The problem is, while you sit around worrying about what everyone is or isn't doing, passing judgements on them and jumping to conclusions formed from 100 racist logic, I'm checking my child's real time performance in his classes, getting a list of his upcoming projects, emailing his teacher about some missing notes & eating lunch.

It's called focus. You go right on ahead & focus on your bake sale, car wash & racism.

I'll focus on my kids being able to fire your kids in 20 years.

Date: April 30, 2013 01:02PM

dontdobakesales Wrote:
> Right, except that the title of the thread is "Why
> Don't Asian Parents Volunteer in Schools." If you
> in fact help out in the classroom, my apologies.
>
> And, as it happens, I do earn a living--quite a
> good one--as a computer programmer. I'm lucky in
> that I telecommute most days so I can duck out
> during my "free time" to help tutor once a week.
> Be careful with your stereotypes....

The OP was specifically discussing PTA and his/her involvement in PTA. I do not help out in the classroom, or in the PTA because I'm busy running my own business and physically could not be there anyway.

I deserve to be judged, all asians deserve to be judged by some PTA helicopter mom because they are out busting their asses to get ahead?

The problem is that people make assumptions based on race, run with them, sit around in their free time and judge entire groups of people based on ethnicity and then wonder why those groups don't want fuck all to do with you.

If my PTA President is sitting around the bake sale keeping track of every parent that ISN'T there, and making assumptions about why they aren't there based on race, I wouldn't want anything to do with him/her anyway.

As for the rest, good for you. Telecommuting is the most important revolution to business to come along since the internet. Expanded use of telecommuting could almost instantly address numerous quality of life issues in this area and increase overall productivity if companies could just let go of the sense of control of an office space.

Posted by: Some Thoughts ()
Date: April 30, 2013 01:37PM

The primary reason women don't volunteer is that they don't have the time to do it - irrespective of culture. I've been both a full-time+ employee and a full-time mother. I could barely take the time off from work to attend functions where my child was featured, let alone volunteer. When I later quit work, then I often volunteered on field trips, in the classroom, etc.

I tried to participate in the PTA, but I found it too cliqueish and off-putting. Plus I just can't muster enthusiasm for things like bake sales. Personally, I thought that the PTA focused too much on fundraisers and not enough on educational issues that impact our kids. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: SoBusyAtWork ()
Date: April 30, 2013 01:38PM

LetsRock Wrote:

> PTA is usually the only interaction that parents
> get with the school that they entrust to educate
> their kids. I would want to get to know some of
> the loons who are trying to indoctrinate them.

LetsRock is right - PTA is about knowing what the hell is going on in your kids life. They spend 30 hours a week in the place and the 'I am too busy earning a living' crowd have no clue what is going on with their most important work their kids. Kids by they way notice that their parents dont value school or anything about it other than their report card.

I call BS on all the self-important dummies here that actually believe their own lie that they are so busy they can never even once stop by the school and help out even for an hour once a year. The only time we see all the 'busy' and 'important' parents is the Thanksgiving lunch where they sit their lazy asses down and are served by, you guessed it, parent volunteers.

You are just teaching your kids to be like you lazy, detached and uninterested in other family member's lives...

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: April 30, 2013 01:49PM

I would add that volunteering at your local school is far more than just helping out the PTA raise money. We are as busy as everyone else but we still find time to help out when we can e.g. reading to kids.

I find it odd that someone would send their kids to a school that they do not want to have anything to do with. It's very instructive to get involved with the schools - to see who your kids are learning with, who the teachers and administration are, what's going on at the school - and how you can help make it better for everyone. Everyone should be able to help out once or twice a school year.

Posted by: MouroEncantado ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:13PM

@sowhat: It's a free country and volunteerism is called that for a reason (i.e., nobody has to do it), but your comments make you sound like a real Asian chauvinist. You are completely focused on your child's grades and school projects, without realizing there is indeed a benefit to getting to know your child's teachers and school administrators. Your child's school, and your child, and the community, and actually you, would all benefit from the sort of direct interaction that takes place when adults volunteer in the schools. It's too bad you don't seem to acknowledge that. I hope your attitude isn't shared by too many other Asians in Fairfax County.

Time: I think many parents just don't have the time to volunteer, and that includes Asian parents. Work hours and school hours usually overlap, and people commute long distances so oftentimes there isn't a way make it work.

Effectiveness: The original post title did generally say volunteer, while the content specified PTA. I've always contributed to my children's PTA organizations, and for a number of years I led a successful language program at my child's elementary school. My position was nominally part of the PTA, but like others on this thread I found the PTA to be cliquish, and so I didn't interact much with the PTA itself. I just focused on my program and interacted directly with the school administration and FCPS, and tried to make that program work as well as possible. The PTA isn't always the best way to contribute to the success of a school and its students. It may have social value, but even that only goes so far when the core PTA members all know each other from way back and don't really welcome new ideas instead of just getting the children to shill chocolate bars and coupon books. PTAs do much good work, but also do much wasteful work.

So the original question: Given that many parents *do* volunteer through the PTA, why don't many Asian parents seem to do so? And so my contribution to this thread: 1) Maybe many are dual-income families and both parents are working too hard; 2) Maybe they prefer to focus on rearing their own children and haven't thought about the greater benefit of being active at the school in a PTA. This may be especially true for recent arrivals and 1st-generation parents, who grew up in a place where volunteerism wasn't a big part of the education system. Fairfax County has many recent arrivals; but in American communities with long-standing Asian populations (San Francisco, Seattle, New York City), you see much more integration and probably more Asian volunteerism in the schools. Note however that "back home," Asians certainly do volunteer in their churches, temples, etc.); 3) Maybe those who do have the time are intimidated by the closed culture of the local PTA you observed.

But to all: Don't assume you know what someone's motivation actually is. Don't assume a whole cultural group is selfish, stupid, lazy, ignorant, or racist. Just try to understand what motivates people, accept people's right to live their lives the way they want to, make sure you yourself play fair and are considerate of your community, and try to build better communities in Northern Virginia by being a part of your community.

Posted by: it's tricky ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:27PM

it's tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time it's tricky it's tricky tricky tricky tricky

Posted by: otherparents ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:27PM

RydellRoad Wrote:
> I would add that volunteering at your local school
> is far more than just helping out the PTA raise
> money. We are as busy as everyone else but we
> still find time to help out when we can e.g.
> reading to kids.
>
> I find it odd that someone would send their kids
> to a school that they do not want to have anything
> to do with. It's very instructive to get involved
> with the schools - to see who your kids are
> learning with, who the teachers and administration
> are, what's going on at the school - and how you
> can help make it better for everyone. Everyone
> should be able to help out once or twice a school
> year.

It's to bad that some parents think learning is revolved only around school and they have to be AT the school to help their kids' education...relinquishing the responsibility of teaching their kids to the schools and teachers.

Date: April 30, 2013 02:59PM

@otherparents: I don't think parents who volunteer at the school think school is the only place to learn. I don't think many people feel that way, whether they volunteer or not. What I do think is that in the U.S., there is a long history of parents being involved in the school: as volunteers, substitute teachers, chaperones, sponsors, etc.

You don't have to have a physical presence at your child's school to help their education, but doing so certainly does help it. Volunteering not only models good civic behavior for your child, it also enhances the school's services and activities and saves the system (thus you and your fellow taxpayers) money. Ask any chess club or First Lego League coach about the personal rewards that come with guiding young people successfully through a challenge; and any principal about the added value that parent volunteers bring to the school and the children's school experience.

In fact, in many countries there is low parent volunteerism because (other than parents working too hard) it is the *school authorities'* responsibility to do the job of educating the children and running the school. In places like that, a parent's volunteerism would be seen as an effort to curry favor with the school authorities (and favor for the student). But in those places, parents and extended family also extend the child's education at home.

Date: April 30, 2013 03:11PM

MouroEncantado Wrote:
> @sowhat: You are completely focused on
> your child's grades and school projects, without
> realizing there is indeed a benefit to getting to
> know your child's teachers and school
> administrators.
>

>
> So the original question: Given that many parents
> *do* volunteer through the PTA, why don't many
> Asian parents seem to do so? And so my
> contribution to this thread: 1) Maybe many are
> dual-income families and both parents are working
> too hard; 2) Maybe they prefer to focus on rearing
> their own children and haven't thought about the
> greater benefit of being active at the school in a
> PTA. This may be especially true for recent
> arrivals and 1st-generation parents, who grew up
> in a place where volunteerism wasn't a big part of
> the education system. Fairfax County has many
> recent arrivals; but in American communities with
> long-standing Asian populations (San Francisco,
> Seattle, New York City), you see much more
> integration and probably more Asian volunteerism
> in the schools. Note however that "back home,"
> Asians certainly do volunteer in their churches,
> temples, etc.); 3) Maybe those who do have the
> time are intimidated by the closed culture of the
> local PTA you observed.
>
>
> But to all: Don't assume you know what someone's
> motivation actually is. Don't assume a whole
> cultural group is selfish, stupid, lazy, ignorant,
> or racist. Just try to understand what motivates
> people, accept people's right to live their lives
> the way they want to, make sure you yourself play
> fair and are considerate of your community, and
> try to build better communities in Northern
> Virginia by being a part of your community.

Perhaps I just have sociopathic tendencies but generally speaking, I have enough friends. I don't need to or want to befriend my kid's deans or teachers any more than I feel a need to befriend my boss or co-workers. My work & my personal life do not intersect and they do not need too.

My kids don't need any special treatment from their teachers or Deans, I don't need my hand held by them & I certainly don't need to spend 20 hours a month trying to earn acceptance to the PTA clique.

School is pretty cut & dry. Go to class, pay attention, study, get decent grades, graduate.

To be honest, I don't really understand this desire to make school into anything more than a work environment.

As to your last paragraph, completely agree.

It's funny no one bothered to say that earlier when the racist BS was flying about us Asians but as soon as someone starts laying into white people, it gets all Rodney King up in here "ohhh can't we all just get along?"

Posted by: Daycare ()
Date: April 30, 2013 03:22PM

Lots of name calling saying OP is a bigot but not many real answers to the question - in an area of high Asian population why are so few involved in schools in any capacity (PTA or not)? Its not racist to ask the basic question. Nor do I think the premise is racist as no one here disputes the fact that Asians are under represented in school activities (PTA or not).

Date: April 30, 2013 03:23PM

@sowhat: If you get to know them, you get to understand their perspectives and communicate yours. You don't have to be their friend, just be decent. It isn't about special treatment or hand-holding; it's about contributing to a community institution and being part of a community. People have their own churches and cultural associations, but a school is one of the few places where people of different backgrounds can get to know each other.

Your statement about what school is is pretty narrow and I think overlooks the broader role a school plays in an American community. You've said you are Asian; not sure if you came here recently or are 2nd, 3rd or 6th generation so apologies if I sound patronizing when I talk about what American communities are like. I think the perspective you expressed is one that not many people share, and even lots of other Asians around here would probably find it too closed.

One of the problems with Northern Virginia is that groups stay too isolated from each other and don't get to learn from each other. BTW schools are a perfect medium for bridging those gaps by getting to know other parents with different backgrounds. Unfortunately, I think that around here people are a bit too transient and maybe don't even want to interact. Not sure why.

Posted by: lookey loo ()
Date: April 30, 2013 03:24PM

chicken dick

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: April 30, 2013 03:25PM

otherparents Wrote:
> It's to bad that some parents think learning is
> revolved only around school and they have to be AT
> the school to help their kids'
> education...relinquishing the responsibility of
> teaching their kids to the schools and teachers.

Uh, one of the reasons why we like to check in every now and then is because we DON'T trust the school blank check.

But the comment is a non-sequiter btw.

"have to be AT the school to HELP their kid's eductation" = "relinquishing the responsibility of teaching their kids to the schools" Say what?

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.