HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Here We Go Again: Woman Drives Honda Civic on W&OD Trail
Posted by: Turn and Burn ()
Date: February 04, 2014 07:22AM

Here We Go Again: Woman Drives Honda Civic on W&OD Trail
A woman drove her car down the bike and jogging trail Saturday. Is the W&OD trail marked clearly enough?
http://reston.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/here-we-go-again-woman-drives-on-wod-trail-on-weekend-reston

Unlike Monday, the weather over the weekend was nearly springlike in Northern Virginia, so folks were heading out for a walk, a jog, a cycle — and a drive — down the W&OD trail.

The W&OD is a path for bicyclists, joggers, strollers and walkers.

But on Saturday, a woman drove her Honda Civic down the W&OD path in Vienna.

It was about 3 in the afternoon, and Vienna resident Greg Faragasso had just finished riding his bike on the trail.

"It was a gorgeous day and I was just finishing up a ride," he told Patch. "I finished up at the Town Green by the fountain, right across from Whole Foods. I was drinking my water, and the traffic on Maple was pretty backed up as it is on the weekends."

After awhile, Faragasso said he noticed that a car "was really laying on the horn. I didn't know why," he said. He quickly realized what was happening though. "I see a car was turning from the westbound lane of Maple, going from Tysons to Oakton and they're in the right lane westbound and turning onto the bike path, right there by the antiques shop."

Faragasso hopped on his bike to follow the car, a red Honda Civic driven by a woman. "She drove down the W&OD path toward the Freeman House and got to Church Street," he said.

Drivers at Church Street "were completely confused to see a car coming out" of the bike path, he said.

The woman parked her car near the caboose. After a few minutes, she got out of her car and went for a run.

Faragasso didn't want to confront the woman; he called police though, but he said no one showed up while he was there talking with a friend.

"She wasn't going fast, but still, people walk babies and children" on the trail, Faragasso said. "It would be a real tragedy if anyone got hurt."

He went back later to check signage near the trail and said that it appeared there might be a yellow pole missing in the area where the woman entered the trail.

The Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority (NVRPA) maintains the W&OD Trail and is given the authority to place or not place barriers leading onto the trail from any public areas. The Town of Vienna does not have the authority to place any type of barrier that would prevent a vehicle from entering the W&OD Trail.

Faragasso still isn't sure why the woman took the bike and running path: Because she mistook it for a road? To skip the heavy traffic? Because her GPS guided her the wrong way?

A woman drove her red Honda Civic down the W&OD trail on Saturday; the path is not for cars.
Attachments:
58a830aab157703659b572669810d500.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here We Go Again: Woman Drives Honda Civic on W&OD Trail
Posted by: imbiker ()
Date: February 04, 2014 07:44AM

Driving while Asian?
Attachments:
driving while asian.jpg

Posted by: Close it down ()
Date: February 04, 2014 10:31AM

The trail is obviously a huge safety hazard, it should be closed permanently.

Posted by: Sprawl And Crawl ()
Date: February 04, 2014 11:21AM

Close it down Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The trail is obviously a huge safety hazard, it
> should be closed permanently.

Bullshit. It should be made 4 lanes with a nice median. I want a nice house in Ashburn AND an easy commute. Gimme gimme gimme!

Posted by: Too funy ()
Date: February 04, 2014 02:09PM

I saw an older lady in a Honda backing off of the W&OD trail at the exact location yesterday afternoon. She was heading North on 123 and had attempted to turn right onto the W&OD and then realized it was not a road. I think what fucks these stupid people up at that intersection is the stop lights, they just think it is another intersection. Bitch looked thoroughly confused and probably should not have a license if she is doing shit like this.

Posted by: Joe Blow ()
Date: February 05, 2014 09:37AM

If it was good enough for trains, then it's good enough for cars and yuppies.

Posted by: Shorty ()
Date: February 05, 2014 09:57AM

That's a shortcut. No problem.

Posted by: they need to fix that ()
Date: February 05, 2014 10:17AM

If the entrance of the trail could be mistaken for a ROAD - it is time to make it more obvious that this is a TRAIL not a road.

We can not assume that everyone around here knows our roads like the back of their hand.

Another example: There is an intersection on Gallows over near FFX hospital that people occasionally get confused about (or at least they used to, don't know if it's been fixed) - they turn at that intersection not realizing that their turn is taking them straight onto the beltway, going the wrong way. I actually saw a driver almost do that.

Posted by: Nice!!!!!!!!!! ()
Date: February 05, 2014 10:39AM

"The woman parked her car near the caboose. After a few minutes, she got out of her car and went for a run."

Posted by: Shortcut ()
Date: February 05, 2014 11:06AM

That's the shortcut. You don't have to wait for traffic at the Mill street turn.
Attachments:
wod.jpg

Posted by: aging debbie does dallas fan ()
Date: February 05, 2014 07:53PM

? the "fx park authority" is buying foreigners honda cars ...

when i was young they wouldn't fund a park sign unless it was donated and stopped cutting the grass

these f'ing facists claim usa is the devil come over hear and fund their asian auto industry through our f'ing park service. fuck off you telling me. huh? huh?

they let the historic caboose get holes they couldn't afford paint.

come tell me you need an increase you make 5x what i made skilled labor and you come fire my ass because i'm not a democrat "you know", i'm that republican no one is going to hear about huh?

------------------------------
it is illegal to drive a car on a bike path miss.

(technically is not a crime but mischief unless theres' more to the story)

HOWEVER DID YOU FORGET there's been robberies on that path.

furthermore at one time they did pick up a ?woman i remember? for driving on the path to (run down) a lover. if i remember that's in the enws years back.

Posted by: Homotoma ()
Date: February 05, 2014 08:20PM

aging debbie does dallas fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ? the "fx park authority" is buying foreigners
> honda cars ...
>
> when i was young they wouldn't fund a park sign
> unless it was donated and stopped cutting the
> grass
>
> these f'ing facists claim usa is the devil come
> over hear and fund their asian auto industry
> through our f'ing park service. fuck off you
> telling me. huh? huh?
>
> they let the historic caboose get holes they
> couldn't afford paint.
>
> come tell me you need an increase you make 5x what
> i made skilled labor and you come fire my ass
> because i'm not a democrat "you know", i'm that
> republican no one is going to hear about huh?
>
>
> ------------------------------
> it is illegal to drive a car on a bike path miss.
>
> (technically is not a crime but mischief unless
> theres' more to the story)
>
> HOWEVER DID YOU FORGET there's been robberies on
> that path.
>
> furthermore at one time they did pick up a ?woman
> i remember? for driving on the path to (run down)
> a lover. if i remember that's in the enws years
> back.

Say what?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.