HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
State Gives Green Light, Fairfax City's Deer Sterilization Set to Begin
Posted by: Oh DEER! ()
Date: January 25, 2014 04:04AM

State Gives Green Light, Fairfax City's Deer Sterilization Set to Begin
The City announced dates when the program will begin, very soon.
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/state-gives-the-green-light-citys-deer-sterilization-program-set-to-begin

Now that it has received approval from the Virginia Department of Gaming and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF), the City of Fairfax is set to begin the sterilization of its female deer in just one week.

According to a statement issued by the City, representatives from the City and White Buffalo Inc. plan to conduct the sterilization and tagging process beginning next Friday, Jan. 31, and should have it complete by Feb. 6.

The City said all will be conducted during nighttime hours.

"The City of Fairfax is making preparations to begin its participation in a research program to manage the resident deer population within the city through the humane sterilization of female deer," the statement from officials read.

READ: City Council Votes to Move Forward With Deer Sterilization Program

Anthony DiNicola of the company White Buffalo Inc., will lead the process with his employees. According to City officials, City of Fairfax police officers will be accompanying the White Buffalo employees as they move within the city to capture the deer.

As DiNicola explained during a work session with the Mayor and City Council last month, the White Buffalo crew will drive through the city and shoot all female deer with darts that contain both a drug to disorient them as well as a tranquilizer, plus a tracking chip in case they flee. The crew will then capture the deer once they pass out.

He said the crew then transports the deer to a central location—in this case, the City of Fairfax police station—to perform the surgery, which consists of an ovariectomy. Post-surgery, the deer are released back into the area they came from.

The surgeries will all be conducted by licensed veterinary technicians. DiNicola said the does typically recover very quickly, and most are up and feeding again by the very next day. He added, the drugs used have no lasting effects on the deer.

On capture nights, deer will be sought in public, open spaces, officials explained in the City statement.

"The tranquilizing darts will not be used if there are any occupied dwellings or vehicles in the background, or any persons in proximity to the deer," officials assured. "If a deer makes its way onto private property after receiving the dart, permission of the resident or owner will be sought in order to make recovery of the animal."

Officials added, "The contractor for this program, White Buffalo, Inc., has conducted similar deer sterilization programs which have been successful in curtailing the deer population in several other communities without injury to the animals involved."

As DiNicola explained to the Mayor and City Council last month, the tags that will remain on the deer will help the City track the success of the program, as well as migration patterns. Once the program is complete, the City can expect to see a reduction in the local deer population by around 15 percent annually.

Mayor Scott Silverthorne said if the program is not successful, the City will not continue it.

DiNicola said White Buffalo secured the non-governmental research grant that will cover the costs of the program, meaning there is no cost to Fairfax City taxpayers.

Fairfax City residents and neighbors had many comments over their thoughts on the program when it was announced that the City was seeking approval from the state to begin, both in favor and against.
Attachments:
a129ea57d72e83cdab3845dbf932d616.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: State Gives Green Light, Fairfax City's Deer Sterilization Set to Begin
Posted by: Mark Trail ()
Date: January 25, 2014 09:14AM

Absolute waste of taxpayer money. Idiots!

Posted by: Taxpayer money isn't being used ()
Date: January 25, 2014 10:34AM

Taxpayers aren't paying for the initial cost of the program. Wildlife Rescue and the Humane Society are paying (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/01/20/fairfax-city-deer-sterilization-approved-humane-society-donates-3000/)

But they've been annoyingly vague about follow-up costs and how much that will cost the taxpayers.

Posted by: fawns ()
Date: January 25, 2014 10:43AM

Since the female deer are currently carrying a fawn to be, how will this effect the fawn ? Sounds to me like it is the wrong time of year to be doing this. Not going to hurt the deer ? This is just another City cluster. How many car accidents does the city have in a year involving deer ? I have seen and heard of silly things in my life and this one is right at thee top.

Date: January 25, 2014 11:03AM

Let's give it to the spics. They're worse than the deer for overpopulation.

Posted by: $$$$ ()
Date: January 25, 2014 11:10AM

"According to City official$, City of Fairfax police officer$ will be accompanying the White Buffalo employee$ a$ they move within the city to capture the deer."

Are these police officers donating their time free of charge to the city?
I'd also like to know just how many volunteer veterinarians are going to be
participating.

Posted by: Mr. Barnum ()
Date: January 25, 2014 12:14PM

I am thinking hard of some other scams I could get the city council to finance, this one is going to take the cake

Posted by: deer guy ()
Date: January 25, 2014 01:03PM

Mark Trail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolute waste of taxpayer money. Idiots!

You can say that again, I was walking my dog through the woods on a commonly used path when I noticed a giant mass out of the corner of my eye. Naturally, I assumed it was a bear of some kind and made myself as big as possible in order to scare the bear. The bear did not seem to be intimidated by my size and so I gave a bellowing roar, it was like, "RRROAAAARRRAAARR"
I noticed the bear was wearing camouflage and was also armed with a high powered bow. Then I noticed it wasn't a bear at all. It was a guy in the woods with a bow, presumably trying to hunt deer. I do not like deer.

Posted by: Eyeballs ()
Date: January 25, 2014 01:14PM

Mark Trail Wrote:
> Absolute waste of taxpayer money. Idiots!

I remember the Mark Trail comic strip. He was always finding all sorts of criminals out in the woods and there were always women with huge boobs who
were in distress. I've spent a lot of time in the woods in my life but
rarely have I ran across women like that.

Posted by: adsfasdfasd ()
Date: January 26, 2014 03:24PM

fawns Wrote:
> Since the female deer are currently carrying a
> fawn to be, how will this effect the fawn ? Sounds
> to me like it is the wrong time of year to be
> doing this. Not going to hurt the deer ? This is
> just another City cluster. How many car accidents
> does the city have in a year involving deer ? I
> have seen and heard of silly things in my life and
> this one is right at thee top.

I never thought of that. I sense a lawsuit from Peta coming.

Posted by: davey the deer ()
Date: February 01, 2014 02:48AM

can they start by sterilizing the city council?

Posted by: Insane ()
Date: February 01, 2014 01:35PM

I humanely euthanized eight deer this year in Fairfax County with a Bow and Arrow. I PAID for a license to do so and fed my family and friends with the meat. Good luck keeping the thousands of deer from the surrounding area from moving in and out of the City; people running/supporting these Programs should be sterlized too, and removed from the breeding pool because they are Idiots.

Posted by: Mr. Deer ()
Date: February 05, 2014 12:56PM

You just come and try to take my ovaries, you big fat smelly humans!
Attachments:
imagesCA8O92KA.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.