HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Divorce Proceedings
Posted by: Person1 ()
Date: January 08, 2014 09:42PM

Can a divorce happen without having lawyers involved if both parties are able to agree upon all matters or do they have to take part?

For a basic uncontested divorce, about how much would a lawyer cost?

Does one party definitely get alimony no matter what or if both agree to not seek alimony, can that be a non-issue???

Any help with these questions are greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Divorce Proceedings
Posted by: been there ()
Date: January 08, 2014 10:48PM

You can get all of the forms from the Fairfax County court and file it yourself. Good luck.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: January 08, 2014 11:04PM

Im assuming you are a guy. If I was married to a woman that wasnt interested in taking me to the cleaners in a divorce, I would stay married to her because that would be one hell of a find!

Posted by: yeeeep ()
Date: January 08, 2014 11:25PM

cheaper to keep her, dumbass

Posted by: CommonSense ()
Date: January 08, 2014 11:40PM

Get a lawyer. You will have a dispute over something and you will want to have a lawyer when it comes up. Especially if you are a guy. The system is stacked against you. Get a lawyer.

Posted by: novafairfaxguy ()
Date: January 09, 2014 12:40AM

I used this guy ( http://www.ephraimlaw.com/1weekdivorce/ ) and was done in 30 days. We back dated all the seperation paperwork and I hand carried everything to get it done fast. She agreed to leave me the kids as long as I took all the debt. There is a weekly mass divorce court in Alexandria and she didnt even bother showing up. The judge called me and my witness up and asked if all the paperwork was true and then signed it. Took about 30 seconds. Worked out great for me. Good luck!

Posted by: Still married ()
Date: January 09, 2014 07:23AM

novafairfaxguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She agreed to leave me the kids as long as I took all the debt.

Nice, yet a little depressing. The mother basically sold her kids to you and seemed to have no problem with it.

Posted by: Legal Warning ()
Date: January 09, 2014 11:21AM

You can represent yourself. It isn't that complicated if there are no children and no property and if your spouse cooperates. Fairfax has a pro se package online that has many of the forms you would need.

If you want a lawyer to assist you, it would typically run about $600-1500 for an uncontested divorce with no kids, no property, no alimony and no support. Thanks to blabbermouth novafairfaxguy's comments about backdating, I'd avoid his recommendation.

If you have kids or if you have property to divide it is still possible to do things relatively inexpensively if both parties are in agreement. You will need a written agreement, a more complex divorce decree and possibly other documents though, so the cost will be higher. Don't go cheap here. Writing your own agreement or borrowing someone else's may save you a few hundred to a couple of thousand dollars. However if it isn't done right you will spend far more than that to deal with problems down the road.

Where child custody, property or support are contested, that is where things get expensive. Contested divorces run from $250-600 per hour, and the hours pile up fast.

Alimony is not a given. Where there are minor children child support is the norm.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: January 09, 2014 11:30AM

Dude I am glad that you got the kids! I can't believe what kind of mother would walk out on her own kids, then she saddles you with the debt too? That hoe better be paying you child support! I agree the system is stacked against Dad's and men in divorces. Women get cut all sorts of breaks. And I am a woman!! That bitch better pay up!

Posted by: ????? ()
Date: January 09, 2014 01:47PM

Still married Wrote:
> novafairfaxguy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > She agreed to leave me the kids as long as I
> took all the debt.
>
> Nice, yet a little depressing. The mother
> basically sold her kids to you and seemed to have
> no problem with it.

She was in a hurry to make new ones with the stud she was seeing while novafairfaxguy was at work.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: January 09, 2014 04:33PM

Still married Wrote:
> novafairfaxguy Wrote:
> -----
> > She agreed to leave me the kids as long as I
> took all the debt.
>
> Nice, yet a little depressing. The mother
> basically sold her kids to you and seemed to have
> no problem with it.

Which means she's out living it up now and banging a different guy every weekend and youre sitting at home babysitting and paying bills.

Not a good deal.

Posted by: Homie D Clown ()
Date: January 09, 2014 11:05PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Still married Wrote:
> -----
> > novafairfaxguy Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > She agreed to leave me the kids as long as I
> > took all the debt.
> >
> > Nice, yet a little depressing. The mother
> > basically sold her kids to you and seemed to
> have
> > no problem with it.
>
> Which means she's out living it up now and banging
> a different guy every weekend and youre sitting at
> home babysitting and paying bills.
>
> Not a good deal.

Raising a family is more than babysitting. It is a great deal when you know your kids are safe with a parent who truly loves them.

Congrats!

Posted by: legally speaking ()
Date: January 11, 2014 04:48AM

I am going to give you the divorce information links. But you really still need to see a lawyer. There are just too many aspects and each one of our lives and circumstances are different. Children, owning a home, owning cars, retirement accounts, assets -- legally caring for those, or splitting those, and legally and officially recording the decisions must involve a lawyer -- or it will all come back to haunt you.

Representing yourself in a divorce:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/fba-h-53.pdf

All about divorce in Fairfax County Courts:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/divorce.htm

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofw/pdf/separation-divorce-information.pdf

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofw/pdf/vadivorceprocedures.pdf

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.