HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Verizon Now Competes with Cox for Cable TV
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 29, 2005 10:20AM

It'll be interesting to see if Verizon can beat Cox's price for cable plus broadband. Then again even at the same price Verizon would win out due to higher broadband speeds. I'm tired of my 2.5Mbit speed tests when others are getting 4+.

Or maybe Cox will respond by dropping some prices, or maybe offering lower rpices with term agreements. Personally I'm not a huge Verizon fan but I'm less of a fan of Cox. I hope competition brings some price sanity to cable TV in Fairfax.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Verizon Now Competes with Cox for Cable TV
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 29, 2005 11:19AM

yeah, im ready to jump ship form Cox as soon as i can get anything equal to my shitty 1Mb/s speed. funny thing though, i get 2Mb/s upload speed. seems bit torrent fans will get more than their fair share. i know they are limiting the speed in my area even if they claim they are not. someone needs to graffiti their local building COX SUX COX. i need a bumper sticker with that too.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: September 30, 2005 12:14AM

Either way, sounds like a win-win situation for all of us.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 03, 2005 09:15PM

well, My FIOS was installed last Friday (16.8 down, 2.3 up when tested on dslreports.com), and the equipment they put in is ready for the video service. The mounted a freaking huge grey box where all the magic happens in my basement, as well as a battery pack to give you 3 hours of phone service incase of an outage, as well as a large sized power supply.

The grey box has the 10/100 Ethernet interface, phone hookups, as well as a rg-6 type connection in it behind the service panel. And a few stickers telling you to keep away from the "laser device"... f-in sharks with lasers.

I'll be going the DirecTV route though, as I'm not waiting around for Verizon to start pushing video. So long Cox.

Date: October 05, 2005 07:10PM

SomeGuy,
  i am officially jealous of your super high download speed. however, i some how manage to have a really good upload speed. my line is fucked... i get 1.1 down and like 1.2 up. more up that down? that's fuck up.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: October 06, 2005 09:01PM

Gravis -

That is messed up. If you are using COX cable, you should at something like a 5~10/1 connection by now. I thought they upgraded the service across the board a few months ago. You might want to call and bitch about it to them . If you threaten to leave for DSL, they might reduce your service rate. They tried to do that to me when I canned my net access through them last weekend. You might wnat to see if there is an upgrade for you cable modem's firmware as well. Might fix the issue.

Later rather than sooner it will be available to everyone in Fairfax. That's their plan, but the Verizon tech said it will be "years" before everyone has it. He said once their TV deals are all worked out, that the service rollout would pick up a little.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: October 06, 2005 11:20PM

My Cox used to be slow as shit (we had the 256 one) or the first package, so we upgraded to the next level which was 4/2 and they said they were upgrading the 4/2 to 5/2 and making the fastest 15/2. So I think they upgraded the premium plan that was previously 5 to 15 and the middle 4 to 5 but the lowest one stays. If you have a better plan I would disconnect the power from your cable modem for about a minute or so then plug it back in. This will make it reacquire your signal, sometimes our connection gets slow as fuck and I do that and all is better.

Date: October 07, 2005 05:31PM

SomeGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravis -
>
> That is messed up. If you are using COX cable,
> you should at something like a 5~10/1 connection
> by now. I thought they upgraded the service
> across the board a few months ago. You might want
> to call and bitch about it to them . If you
> threaten to leave for DSL, they might reduce your
> service rate. They tried to do that to me when I
> canned my net access through them last weekend.
> You might wnat to see if there is an upgrade for
> you cable modem's firmware as well. Might fix the
> issue.

thanks for the advice. however, i did have a Cox cable guy come out and check it out. he checked the line and said it worked perfectly. He switched the cable modem to one he brought and plugged my computer into it directly. it changed nothing. he could only tell me that "it says up to four megabits per second," which he agreed was stupid. ive been living with it, which sucks, im talking to the sys admins next.

Date: October 07, 2005 11:45PM

I've had 8 COX cable tools out to my place over teh last 2.5 years to figure out why the digital stations keep flipping out. 4 different digital boxes, even an HD one as a test. No dice. Their reason.. wiring in the house is old. I called bullshit on the guy by explaining to him I personally wired my house with new RG6 coax, cat5e and new phone to every room.

Cox's final solution to fix it... have ME pay to replace the line from the box out front to my house. Sure... I'll do that.. enter DirecTV and FIOS.

Check out http://www.dslreports.com/stest if you haven’t already. Run a couple of the tests from different areas to see whet is really going on with your net speed (local and west coast servers). Sure while I get 15/2 or whatever to local places, it still acts as slow on different sites and newsgroup providers.

Posted by: SUp ()
Date: October 13, 2005 02:02PM

Hey it might be the rg6 cable cause the wire in the middle of it needs to be longer, thats why it would cut out on you cause its not hitn the Tv or cable box
They same thing happened to me and that fixed it , so you have to cut the ends off the rg6 and make the middle longer

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: October 13, 2005 05:25PM

that's basic cabling troubleshooting, if the Cox guy couldn't figure it out, it's seriously time to ditch because they will never be able to help you

their techs are bordering on barely competent and are usually film-educated with no practical experience

Posted by: The Economist ()
Date: October 14, 2005 01:12AM

I always used to hate cox cable but their reliability when it comes to cable internet is awesome

Posted by: A. Fan ()
Date: October 15, 2005 04:00AM

Yo, Economist. Word up, Rat boy!

Posted by: BurkeBoy ()
Date: October 16, 2005 12:04AM

I've gotten the 5mbps download speed before but you have to understand that it simply a maximum speed statement. Though one can look at their ads and say it is implied you will get that speed, you can't in most cases because of congestion and whatnot. Verizon's video service is going to be through DirecTV but it will come in over your FIOS lines. Basically the same HD channels without the dish. Cox unfortunately is still running on older tech as they simply converted the old MGC network to a backbone and enlarged it with more lines in more areas. Verizon on the other hand laid brand new fiber optics so I'm sure many will switch over to the big V though I have yet to hear anything really good about the FIOS TV in the limited places it's available in the country.

Posted by: NotCable ()
Date: December 29, 2013 10:08PM

But FiOS isn't cable!

Posted by: so what ()
Date: December 29, 2013 11:19PM

Coax or fiber. So what, it's still hanging from the poles or running underground into your house.

If it's overhead, a well-placed falling tree limb still knocks it out.

If it's underground, a moron on a backhoe still knocks it out.

Posted by: Cox Sucks ()
Date: December 29, 2013 11:37PM

verizon is just like direct tv or dish network they lock you into a 2 year contract with the 1st year being the good rate you switched for and the 2nd year being the rape year. ie 99$ for tv,internet, and a multiroom dvr. 2nd year it goes to 180$ plus they add on the dvr rental fee, multiroom viewing fee, etc. that they waived to get you through the door and suddenly you got a 210$ bill.

they charge outrageous rental, multiroom, and just random charges that you make you call them every month to figure out wtf just happened to my bill. on a plus side their system is pretty new but god forbid if you ever leave them. said will be calling from india every week. oh yeah and that tech support same same

COX really does suck but most of their problems are inherited from the old system they inherited from media general cable. this is the biggest problem i have with them, their internet sucks goat nads cause it's on a legacy system with old wires and they do throttle their bandwith but at least it's area wide not like a sat internet that throttles you when you go over x gb.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.