HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lawsuit hopes to make Virginia students who are not citizens eligible for in-state tuition
Posted by: Higher Education ()
Date: December 20, 2013 06:34AM

Lawsuit hopes to make Virginia students who are not citizens eligible for in-state tuition

Legal Aid Justice Center files lawsuit in Arlington County on behalf of seven student plaintiffs
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20131220/NEWS/131229949/lawsuit-hopes-to-make-virginia-students-who-are-not-citizens-eligible&template=fairfaxTimes

Rebeca Orellana Montano graduated from Washington-Lee High School in June with honors and a 4.3 grade point average and is currently studying Civil & Infrastructure Engineering at George Mason University as a freshman. But even though she has lived in Northern Virginia for 13 of her 18 years, she does not qualify for Virginia in-state tuition.

Montano was born in Bolivia and was brought to Virginia by her parents when she was 5 years old. “We came here on a visa that expired, and stayed,” she said. “That is what makes me ineligible for in-state tuition, and why I have to pay nearly three times as much as other students who I went to high school with.”

Under the Obama administration’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, Montano and about 7,000 other DACA students living in Virginia are authorized to work in the United States, obtain a social security number, a Virginia driver’s license, and they can renew their DACA status indefinitely. But when it comes to higher education, they pay an average of two to three times the in-state tuition rate if they choose to attend college in their home state. For Montano, that means a four-year degree from GMU will cost her family nearly $120,000. “I don’t know how we will do it,” she said.

On Dec. 17, The Falls Church-based Legal Aid Justice Center filed a lawsuit in Arlington County on behalf of seven student plaintiffs like Montano — although she is not a plaintiff — who are asking the court to overrule the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia’s interpretation of the law, and recognize that DACA recipients should be eligible for much cheaper in-state tuition rates — like other Virginia high school graduates.

The federal DACA program was announced in June of 2012 and grants temporary relief for students living in the country without legal permission who were brought to the U.S. as minors, avoided run-ins with the law and graduated from high school, but currently SCHEV classifies them as categorically ineligible for in-state tuition rates at Virginia’s public colleges and universities. For some, such as Giancarla Rojas Mendoza, 19 — who graduated from Falls Church High School in Fairfax County in June 2012 — that can mean that a school such as GMU can be completely out of reach.

“I graduated with a 3.4 GPA and worked hard,” she said. “Education is a tool to help you to build a better life. I was always taught that if you worked hard, studied and got good grades, you could go to college. I am not asking for money, I am only asking for the same opportunity as others, and to not be treated differently and in such a way that it could impact my entire life.”

Mendoza is one of the seven plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

According to the Legal Aid Justice Center, the suit is part of a broad, multi-pronged effort to extend eligibility for in-state tuition to Virginia residents who have been granted DACA status. On behalf of its clients, Legal Aid Justice Center will also be asking the incoming McAuliffe administration to take executive action.

“We’re just asking the court to take a look at existing Virginia law,” said Legal Aid Justice Center attorney Simon Sandoval-Moshenberg. “We think the court will agree that under existing law, these students should be eligible for in-state tuition benefits, just like their other Virginia classmates.”

Plaintiffs will also be asking lawmakers to take legislative action during the upcoming General Assembly session again this year.

“This case is about Virginia high school graduates wanting to continue their education here in Virginia,” said Tim Freilich, Legal Director of the Legal Aid Justice Center’s Immigrant Advocacy Program.

“Virginia should be helping these students realize their dreams, not putting unnecessary obstacles in their path.”

SCHEV spokesperson Kirsten Nelson declined comment on the suit, citing pending litigation.

(From left) Falls Church residents Rebeca Orellana Montano, 18, and Giancarla Rojas Mendoza, 19, both hope that a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Arlington will help make them eligible for in-state tuition as they pursue their college careers. (Photo: Gregg MacDonald/Fairfax County Times)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lawsuit hopes to make Virginia students who are not citizens eligible for in-state tuition
Posted by: Higher Education ()
Date: December 20, 2013 06:35AM

(From left) Falls Church residents Rebeca Orellana Montano, 18, and Giancarla Rojas Mendoza, 19, both hope that a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Arlington will help make them eligible for in-state tuition as they pursue their college careers. (Photo: Gregg MacDonald/Fairfax County Times)
Attachments:
AR-131229949.jpg

Re: Lawsuit hopes to make Virginia students who are not citizens eligible for in-state tuition
Posted by: No Way Jose ()
Date: December 20, 2013 10:10AM

If they're telling us they're illegal why have they not been picked up and deported?

Posted by: Yes Jose It's True ()
Date: December 20, 2013 10:17AM

Under the Obama administration’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, Montano and about 7,000 other DACA students living in Virginia are authorized to work in the United States, obtain a social security number, a Virginia driver’s license, and they can renew their DACA status indefinitely. But when it comes to higher education, they pay an average of two to three times the in-state tuition rate if they choose to attend college in their home state. For Montano, that means a four-year degree from GMU will cost her family nearly $120,000. “I don’t know how we will do it,” she said.

How about just allow this to the inner city kids that were born here as citizens..

Anoth example of Obama buying votes for him and the Democrats. No wonder people love him...

1. free cell phones

2. no need to work we will support you

3. free healthcare

4. free education

5. free rent

He is the Santa Claus of politics.

Posted by: What the.. ()
Date: December 20, 2013 05:28PM

If a Bolivian student living in Bolivia wants to attend GMU legally they need to apply for a student visa and pay the out-of-state rate, correct?

Why should a kid whose parents bring her here illegally be given a discount tuition rate for breaking the law?

Posted by: White Guilt ()
Date: December 20, 2013 05:35PM

What the.. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If a Bolivian student living in Bolivia wants to
> attend GMU legally they need to apply for a
> student visa and pay the out-of-state rate,
> correct?
>
> Why should a kid whose parents bring her here
> illegally be given a discount tuition rate for
> breaking the law?

Celebrate Diversity, and open your wallets. America is a fucking Joke.

Posted by: Your Knob ()
Date: December 20, 2013 05:43PM

White Guilt Wrote:
> What the.. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If a Bolivian student living in Bolivia wants
> to
> > attend GMU legally they need to apply for a
> > student visa and pay the out-of-state rate,
> > correct?
> >
> > Why should a kid whose parents bring her here
> > illegally be given a discount tuition rate for
> > breaking the law?
>
>
> Celebrate Diversity, and open your wallets.
> America is a fucking Joke.

Cut your dick off and shove it in your mouth, YOU'RE A JOKE!!!

You're another bigot with a mouth like a spigot.

Posted by: Cry me a river ()
Date: December 20, 2013 06:06PM

Your Knob Wrote:

> Cut your dick off and shove it in your mouth,
> YOU'RE A JOKE!!!
>
> You're another bigot with a mouth like a spigot.

No, I just don't like freeloading Illegal Spics Demanding free shit. They should be deported. Not rewarded.

Posted by: Legal Scholar ()
Date: December 20, 2013 06:08PM

All humans who live in the other 49 states that are not Virginia have to pay out of state tuition to attend Virginia colleges.

If you are from Latin America, Africa, Asia or any other point on the globe (sorry, Europeans, Australians and Canadians not included) you pay in-state tuition.

Every person born in Bolivia is a Virginian, the same with India, China, South Korea and so forth.

It's not the fault of these young scholars that they were born on the "outskirts" of the Old Dominion.

Anyone who disagrees with my logic is racist and a bigot. Argument won!

Posted by: American Tax Payer ()
Date: December 20, 2013 06:22PM

Legal Scholar Wrote:
> All humans who live in the other 49 states that
> are not Virginia have to pay out of state tuition
> to attend Virginia colleges.
>
> If you are from Latin America, Africa, Asia or any
> other point on the globe (sorry, Europeans,
> Australians and Canadians not included) you pay
> in-state tuition.
>
> Every person born in Bolivia is a Virginian, the
> same with India, China, South Korea and so forth.
>
> It's not the fault of these young scholars that
> they were born on the "outskirts" of the Old
> Dominion.
>
> Anyone who disagrees with my logic is racist and a
> bigot. Argument won!

Fuck off liberal..They are illegal spics..call if for what is the truth.

Posted by: Jesus Take the wheel ()
Date: December 20, 2013 06:25PM

Montano was born in Bolivia and was brought to Virginia by her parents when she was 5 years old. “We came here on a visa that expired, and stayed,” she said. “That is what makes me ineligible for in-state tuition, and why I have to pay nearly three times as much as other students who I went to high school with.”

Because you broke the law.

Posted by: fuck 'em ()
Date: December 20, 2013 07:27PM

this bitch can take the citizenship test, get a green card, and become an American citizen if she wants American privileges. otherwise she can go fuck herself.

Posted by: Fuck'em is Right ()
Date: December 20, 2013 07:37PM

Montano was born in Bolivia and was brought to Virginia by her parents when she was 5 years old. “We came here on a visa that expired, and stayed,”

Sounds like you are in violation of the law. Clearly broke the fucking law, and now you bitch? You and your family should be deported.

Why the fuck do I even bother following the rules anymore, Sweet suffering christ on a carousel. These Illegals are getting brave.

Posted by: ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ()
Date: December 20, 2013 07:50PM

Hey! How else are we supposed to make $9 an hour? All the cashier jobs are going to college graduates now, so we need something more than a HS diploma to be competitive! Hopefully I can get my masters in business so that I can score that management position for $13 hour one day :D.

Posted by: 2 cerveza we boom boom ()
Date: December 20, 2013 07:56PM

she's kinda fuckable...

Posted by: liberals ()
Date: December 20, 2013 08:23PM

yet again another result of liberalism

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.