HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Misinformation on proposed Reston rec center troubling
Posted by: Bob Simon ()
Date: July 28, 2013 04:22PM

The misinformation spilling out concerning a proposed recreation center for Reston is shielding the light that could be shining on the subject. No wonder that confusion is prevalent. I hope that presenting some factual information will help clear up the atmosphere and lead to a reasoned conclusion.

For Restonians, today’s athletic facilities fall short of meeting their needs. An inclusive indoor facility would be the answer to this shortfall. Such a facility should include a 50-meter swimming pool, space adaptable for basketball, volleyball, track, yoga and the like and a workout equipment room; it could include tennis courts.

Two of the concerns that have been raised about building this facility are, if it is to be built, where should it be located and who would pay for it. RCC (Reston Community Center, a Fairfax County satellite with two centers, the main one in Hunters Woods and the other in Lake Anne) has been considering Baron Cameron Park as the best place to build it. This park is owned by the Fairfax County Park Authority. It consists of 68 acres of land with four ball fields and a dog park. The proposed recreation center would occupy some 5 acres of the 68. None of our pools is as big as 50 meters. Yet the 50-meter pool is standard, and therefore necessary for our swimmers to be able to train for competition.

Bob Simon, Reston

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Misinformation on proposed Reston rec center troubling
Posted by: speak the truth ()
Date: July 28, 2013 04:40PM

The last thing that we need is a rec center. It will cause more traffic, destroy the government and be under used. I am so glad that your precious little baby wants to be the next great Olympic swimmer. Newsflash... it ain't happening.

Posted by: Donna Devorona ()
Date: July 28, 2013 04:57PM

By all means, just post yet another bond referendum, and you can have anything you want...I was moved to tears by your saying that you don't have a 50-meter pool...

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: July 28, 2013 04:58PM

We don't need another rec center.

Baron Cameron Park would be the worst place to put a new building that would attract traffic away from high-density areas being proposed around the Metro stations. We should confine the buildup and buildout to those areas instead of using the Silver Line as a backbone for more sprawl.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: July 28, 2013 05:08PM

It's an awful place to put it. If you have to have a rec center, put it somewhere near Wiehle or near Newton Square.

I see no reason to build one, however. Most people who would use it can afford YMCA membership, Worldgate, or one of the 5 gyms in the area.

Posted by: Entitlement Smackdown ()
Date: July 28, 2013 08:10PM

If you want a pool, pay for it yourself. This is another waste of tax money. This is another reason to toss Bulova, Smyth, Gross, and the rest of them out along with those idiots on the school board.

Good Bye.

Posted by: JFK ()
Date: July 28, 2013 08:24PM

Reston is going to inundated with traffic until phase 2 of the rail to Dulles project is finished. Please no more public works projects until then.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: July 28, 2013 09:05PM

Let's build a new high school before we talk about building a new rec center.

Posted by: hey Bob ()
Date: July 29, 2013 11:52AM

Why don't you tear down that ugly decrepit shithole called Lake Anne and just put it there?

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 29, 2013 03:04PM

Bob Simon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The misinformation spilling out concerning a
> proposed recreation center for Reston is shielding
> the light that could be shining on the subject. No
> wonder that confusion is prevalent. I hope that
> presenting some factual information will help
> clear up the atmosphere and lead to a reasoned
> conclusion.
>
> For Restonians, today’s athletic facilities fall
> short of meeting their needs. An inclusive indoor
> facility would be the answer to this shortfall.
> Such a facility should include a 50-meter swimming
> pool, space adaptable for basketball, volleyball,
> track, yoga and the like and a workout equipment
> room; it could include tennis courts.
>
> Two of the concerns that have been raised about
> building this facility are, if it is to be built,
> where should it be located and who would pay for
> it. RCC (Reston Community Center, a Fairfax County
> satellite with two centers, the main one in
> Hunters Woods and the other in Lake Anne) has been
> considering Baron Cameron Park as the best place
> to build it. This park is owned by the Fairfax
> County Park Authority. It consists of 68 acres of
> land with four ball fields and a dog park. The
> proposed recreation center would occupy some 5
> acres of the 68. None of our pools is as big as 50
> meters. Yet the 50-meter pool is standard, and
> therefore necessary for our swimmers to be able to
> train for competition.
>
> Bob Simon, Reston

I call Bullshit. Bob Simon is a babbling old man, incapable of typing out the above. He can't change his own diaper let along post a thought provoking message.

Posted by: 50m not needed ()
Date: July 29, 2013 03:25PM

High schools and colleges use 25y lap lengths. 50m is standard for international. If you need bigger pool for serious training, you shouldn't be using a rec center. Go get a job and get into a swim club.

Posted by: Not Bob Simon ()
Date: July 29, 2013 03:49PM

Bob Simon Wrote:
> The misinformation spilling out concerning a
> proposed recreation center for Reston is shielding
> the light that could be shining on the subject. No
> wonder that confusion is prevalent. I hope that
> presenting some factual information will help
> clear up the atmosphere and lead to a reasoned
> conclusion.
>
> For Restonians, today’s athletic facilities fall
> short of meeting their needs. An inclusive indoor
> facility would be the answer to this shortfall.
> Such a facility should include a 50-meter swimming
> pool, space adaptable for basketball, volleyball,
> track, yoga and the like and a workout equipment
> room; it could include tennis courts.
>
> Two of the concerns that have been raised about
> building this facility are, if it is to be built,
> where should it be located and who would pay for
> it. RCC (Reston Community Center, a Fairfax County
> satellite with two centers, the main one in
> Hunters Woods and the other in Lake Anne) has been
> considering Baron Cameron Park as the best place
> to build it. This park is owned by the Fairfax
> County Park Authority. It consists of 68 acres of
> land with four ball fields and a dog park. The
> proposed recreation center would occupy some 5
> acres of the 68. None of our pools is as big as 50
> meters. Yet the 50-meter pool is standard, and
> therefore necessary for our swimmers to be able to
> train for competition.
>
> Bob Simon, Reston

Baron Cameron is fully committed to 9 soccer fields, an adult slow-pitch softball field (the only one in Reston) and a dog park. The portion of the 68 acres not already committed to one of those facilities is environmentally sensitive stream valley.

So which of the existing fields do you propose to eliminate to build this 200,000 square foot (bigger than a Wegmans) extravaganza?

A 50 meter pool can and should be incorporated into TOD and not jammed into an existing neighborhood.

Posted by: Richard Kimble ()
Date: July 29, 2013 03:54PM

I think we need a new prison before another rec center. We miss the Prison Fellowship House and the frequent helicopter overflights.

Posted by: SensibleS ()
Date: July 29, 2013 04:11PM

Lifetime Fitness is already building a rec center twice as big in Reston with TWO full size pools and tennis courts.

Why not work out a deal with Lifetime Fitness rather build another one two miles away and destroying precious park land.

There are not enough sport fields in Reston as it is right now.

Posted by: SensibleS ()
Date: July 29, 2013 04:15PM

Does Reston really need TWO huge fitness centers with two miles of each other?
Attachments:
lifetimeoutdoorpool.jpg
lifetimef.jpg

Posted by: Dr. Z. Smith ()
Date: July 29, 2013 05:05PM

Putting a rec center near section 8 and public housing is just asking for it

Posted by: Give it up ()
Date: July 30, 2013 04:35PM

What with the uproar over the turf, no more sports facilities in Fairfax and there will be major sports cutbacks, the supervisors and school board members like those do nothing six figure jobs and all the luxurious amenities coming with them.

Date: July 30, 2013 10:53PM

Hey, ricky, wait until October when you can paya hurting $260 per month at the money metal Reston LifeTime Fitness center. Six pools at three times the price, donk.

Money.

Case for new Reston rec center underwhelming
Posted by: Carrie Sawicki ()
Date: August 16, 2013 07:35AM

Case for new Reston rec center underwhelming
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130816/OPINION/130819471/1065/case-for-new-reston-rec-center-underwhelming&template=fairfaxTimes

Bob Simon’s letter to the editor, which appeared in the Fairfax County Times on July 26 (“Misinformation on proposed rec center Troubling”), has prompted me to respond to the issue.

Having been a Reston resident for 19-plus years, my family has enjoyed the many facilities and activities available to us through the Reston Association and the Reston Community Center [supported by our dues, fees and taxes], therefore the RCC’s rec center proposal is one I am interested in for many reasons.

Like Mr. Simon, I look for facts. I have attended most meetings on the subject and have spent many additional hours researching in order to fully understand the need, costs associated with, and scope of the proposal. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Having done so, I have to say that I am against the RCC rec center proposal as it is currently presented for the following reasons:

• Cost structure: Currently, Small Tax District 5 pays for 84 percent of the RCC’s multi-million dollar annual operating budget because fees for service do not cover expenses. I think taking on the building, operation and maintenance costs of a new, much grander state-of-the-art facility should not be considered until a much more thorough study has been done.

• Business model: I fear that in order to recoup more costs from non-STD5 taxpayers, this proposed facility will need to adopt a county business model which allows renting to private entities, creating times of the day where the very public for whom the facility was built — and who pay for it — cannot use it.

• Need: The need for a new facility is something I believe has yet to be proven conclusively. Reston will soon be home to Crunch Fitness and Lifetime Fitness. Let’s see what impact they have on our area as far as need before deciding the Reston-only taxpayers have to provide it.

• Location: Baron Cameron Park is a lovely and unique district park (and neighborhood park to many in Reston) that has been neglected for far too long. Keep in mind that if the need for indoor facilities grows, so will the need for outdoor ones. Baron Cameron Park’s existing outdoor amenities need to be upgraded and maximized and not diminished for the accommodation of a large indoor facility and parking.

I understand that Reston is growing and that we will need to expand to meet future needs, but the Brailsford & Dunleavy Study, commissioned by the RCC, is incomplete and vague. One flaw is that it deals only with current census data and does not take into account the extensive growth anticipated over the next 10 years. I do not believe that any currently developed parkland should be forfeited, nor do I believe that taxpayers are responsible for the wishes of special-interest groups over the needs of the community as a whole.

Carrie Sawicki, Reston

We don't need a new REC center
Posted by: Hong ()
Date: October 13, 2013 08:26PM

REC centers are scams to suck tax payer money.
1. Only a small percentage of residents use it
2. They charge fees similar to private facilities while they use our tax dollars to fund the operation after tax payer money is used to build it? So tax payers are leached three times.

Why REC centers are money holes? Too many employees and management sucking.

Posted by: no thanks ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:11PM

Me thinks old guy wants to put his name on something. Go donate money to South Lakes High School for an indoor pool or fieldhouse.

Posted by: Reston man ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:39PM

If you can't afford the amazing new Lifetime Fitness, then go to the YMCA. It's almost as good. Don't need any more RA facilities.

Posted by: Well Will It Have ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:56PM

" Jogging Tracks?" Like the "Planned Reston" had and has for muggers to hide round and rape or rob you?? At least we have legal concealed handgun permits today to deal with it.

Re: We don't need a new REC center
Posted by: Jacques Offe ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:35AM

Hong Wrote:
> REC centers are scams to suck tax payer money.
> 1. Only a small percentage of residents use it
> 2. They charge fees similar to private facilities
> while they use our tax dollars to fund the
> operation after tax payer money is used to build
> it? So tax payers are leached three times.
>
> Why REC centers are money holes? Too many
> employees and management sucking.

WRONG. As a former FCPA employee, all RECenters recover 100% of operating costs. Admission fees, rental revenues, classes, etc. cover those costs.

Also, Baron Cameron park is nothing special as it is. Several times recently I've driven by and, even during nicer weather and on weekends, it's not being utilized by a lot of people. FCPA even noted during their initial master plan meeting that none of the parkland contains any sensitive and/or protective species.

Reston does need this facility (it's not going to be 200,000 s.f. like some on here believe) and there's plenty of room at Baron Cameron for it to coexist with the soccer fields and dog park. Baron Cameron is classified as a "District Park." Others in the county include South Run and Lee District, and those both include RECenters and athletic fields. In addition to the pool, the indoor gym would be a great place for youth to stay occupied. By the way, FCPA standard is to have at least 3 lap lanes open to the public at all times. Carrie keeps trying to instill fear in people by saying the pool will never be open to the public, but that's not the case. Yes, they're more crowded during peak evening hours, but that's life. Full pool rentals in RECenters take place between 4:30 and 6am on weekdays and after hours on weekends, while smaller partial rentals occur during operating hours. Carrie's scenario of the pool not being available to the public already takes place at the existing small RCC pool, as they close very early on Tuesdays and Thursdays because that's the only way they can accommodate RSTA, followed Reston Masters. In a larger pool, these groups could rent some lanes and coexist with public users.

I'm sick of people saying WE don't need a new center because they personally don't want it. People are entitled to opinions, but please don't speak on behalf of the entire community. In addition to myself, there are many others who would value such a facility in our community.

Posted by: Stop the BS ()
Date: October 16, 2013 01:14AM

Lifetime Fitness or YMCA, there's plenty of coverage.

Posted by: claptrap ()
Date: October 16, 2013 01:25PM

it's a show

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.