HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Centreville Day Laboror Site to Open on December 5, 2011
Posted by: M7deD ()
Date: November 19, 2011 11:52AM

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20111118/NEWS/711189486/1117/centreville-labor-center-set-to-open&template=fairfaxTimes

I love Frey's comment:

“I understand the people whose issue is immigration and who are against illegal immigrants,” Frey said. “But that’s above my pay grade. They need to work with [U.S. Reps.] Frank Wolf and Gerry Connolly and [Sen.] Mark Warner.”

I guess Frey would be 'ok' with setting up a cocaine distribution center in Fairfax, since stopping cocaine from entering the US is really a federal issue and 'above his pay grade'?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Centreville Day Laboror Site to Open on December 5, 2011
Posted by: Nighthawk ()
Date: November 19, 2011 12:43PM

That's piss poor logic on your part.

A cocaine distribution center is something local authorities have the ability to do something about. The laws of the land make it possible for local authorities to do their job in regards to fighting illegal drugs.

They don't have that ability when it comes to illegal immigrants. Frey is one man on a nine man Board of Supervisors which was lead at one time by Gerry Connolly and is no lead by his hand picked successor in Sharon Bulova.

So no, Frey wouldn't be "OK" with setting up a cocaine distribution center in Fairfax.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: November 19, 2011 12:50PM

We are discussing a possible Occupy event by his office due to his standing aside to let this happen and allowing non-Americans to take American jobs. This is all part of our elected officials NOT doing what they were elected to do, which is serve their citizens and work in their best interests. #ows

Date: November 19, 2011 01:00PM

One problem with this day laborer site (of the many problems with it) is that there's nothing they can do to make day laborers use this facility. They can still stand on the side of the road and wait for people to hire them and there is nothing that can or will be done to make employers use the facility as well.

Posted by: He Is Delusional ()
Date: November 19, 2011 01:20PM

Apparently, 70% of the people who voted in the Sully district this last election believe that Michael Frey is working well within his pay grade.

However, look at Prince William county. Chairman, Corey Stewart - who probably doesn't make much more money than M. Frey, worked with Supervisor John Stirrup to create the "Rule of Law." I guess in that case, they really worked above and beyond their pay grades!

I guess I've assumed wrong when I thought supervisors wouldn't think like government employees. But, in Supervisor Frey's position, it appears he thinks just like a 9 - 5 government worker. Does he watch the clock when it's quitting time, too? Or, is he banking "comp" time when he makes those weekend parade appearances? I think when one chooses to be a supervisor, they pretty much better consider themselves on the clock all the time. Idiot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm the real H.I.D. If you question my identity, just hit the quote button on one of my posts and look for any of the "L" characters that have been replaced by the uppercase "I" character. That will tell you who the fake is.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: November 19, 2011 02:09PM

Nighthawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One problem with this day laborer site (of the
> many problems with it) is that there's nothing
> they can do to make day laborers use this
> facility. They can still stand on the side of the
> road and wait for people to hire them and there is
> nothing that can or will be done to make employers
> use the facility as well.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking might be the biggest hurdle. Anyone know what percent of the Herndon day laborers/clients actually used the system vs. those that found it easier or more efficient to do it the old way?

Date: November 19, 2011 02:21PM

>We are discussing a possible Occupy event by his office due to his standing aside to let this happen and allowing non-Americans to take American jobs. This s all part of our elected officials NOT doing what they were elected to do, which is serve their citizens and work in their best interests. #ows

You mean like the lame event you attempted to have at Centreville Day, that not one person seems to have seen?

The labor center is on private property...using private money...nothin you pseudo activist keyboard jockeys can do about it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2011 02:23PM by call_out_the_stupid.

Date: November 19, 2011 08:18PM

He Is Delusional Wrote:
> Apparently, 70% of the people who voted in the
> Sully district this last election believe that
> Michael Frey is working well within his pay
> grade.
>
> However, look at Prince William county. Chairman,
> Corey Stewart - who probably doesn't make much
> more money than M. Frey, worked with Supervisor
> John Stirrup to create the "Rule of Law." I guess
> in that case, they really worked above and beyond
> their pay grades!
>
> I guess I've assumed wrong when I thought
> supervisors wouldn't think like government
> employees. But, in Supervisor Frey's position, it
> appears he thinks just like a 9 - 5 government
> worker. Does he watch the clock when it's
> quitting time, too? Or, is he banking "comp" time
> when he makes those weekend parade appearances? I
> think when one chooses to be a supervisor, they
> pretty much better consider themselves on the
> clock all the time. Idiot.

Again, you're comparing a Prince William County Board of Supervisors where the Chairman is a Republican and the Board is comprised of 5 Republicans to 2 Democrats to a Fairfax County Board of Supervisors where the Chairman is a Democrat and the Board is comprised of 6 Democrats to 3 Republicans. Not to mention that you have puppetmasters like Gerry Connolly and Jim Moran pulling the strings.

Posted by: M7deD ()
Date: November 19, 2011 11:52PM

Nighthawk Wrote:
> That's piss poor logic on your part.

> They don't have that ability when it comes to
> illegal immigrants. Frey is one man on a nine man
> Board of Supervisors which was lead at one time by
> Gerry Connolly and is no lead by his hand picked
> successor in Sharon Bulova.

Oh really? The BOS can't do something about it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/us/17immig.html

Perhaps Frey should be pushing for a similar law rather than pushing for the immigration equivalent of a needle park.

Date: November 20, 2011 12:03AM

M7deD Wrote:
>
> Oh really? The BOS can't do something about it?
>

Personally, I think there is a big difference between can and want. Clearly, they don't want to do anything about it. At the moment, Fairfax county is still "up there" when it comes to salaries for Nothern Virginia. Companies looking to locate to this area will do plenty of due diligence before making the decision to relocate here.

However, with time, the average salary per resident will shrink due to the illegal population. When it starts to look less attractive to those are are considering locating their business here, the BOS will then take action. Until then, everybody has to all get along and sing "Kumbaya."

I'm the real H.I.D. If you question my identity, just hit the quote button on one of my posts and look for any of the "L" characters that have been replaced by the uppercase "I" character. That will tell you who the fake is.

Posted by: John Mosby Jr. ()
Date: November 20, 2011 06:20AM

Is Centreville Square Shopping Center the one the koreans took over?

Date: November 20, 2011 09:18AM

John Mosby Jr. Wrote:
> Is Centreville Square Shopping Center the one the
> koreans took over?

No. The shopping center they took over is the one on the east side of Rt. 28 where the iHop is located. It is across from the Centreville fire station and Alto Plaza.

Posted by: Luv it 9999 ()
Date: November 20, 2011 09:21AM

Love it. The great sucking of America's tits for other countries, a prime example. Fucking b.s. this is, and wonder why we have the issues we do? Look right at this, and branch out from there.

Date: November 20, 2011 09:31AM

Oh, it gets even more interesting. Apparently, "occupy Centreville" - which is mainly a Korean function started years ago. Yes. Actually, someone was traveling in Korea and apparently saw some ads that Centreville, VA was their mecca. This is a true story. Seriously.

Posted by: Oh Noes! ()
Date: November 20, 2011 09:27PM

So I guess this means the Centreville papers will have more articles about arrests and shootings in the months ahead. Oh Goody!

Posted by: TEA BAG EXPRESS!!! ()
Date: November 20, 2011 10:09PM

DEM BROWN FOLKS IS TAK'N MY JERBS!!!

Date: November 20, 2011 10:17PM

Oh Noes! Wrote:
> So I guess this means the Centreville papers will
> have more articles about arrests and shootings in
> the months ahead. Oh Goody!

Yes, that appears to possibly be correct. Also, expect to see and hear more of Fairfax "One" flying over your Centreville house with the flood lights and heat sensors on looking for the criminals hiding in the bushes.

Posted by: good luck ()
Date: November 20, 2011 10:20PM

haha..your all fuckin idiots for letting this happen...LET THE ILLEGAL LOCUST RULE.......

Fuck you all...the end is near...

Posted by: true but ()
Date: November 20, 2011 10:22PM

Nighthawk Wrote:
> That's piss poor logic on your part.
>
> A cocaine distribution center is something local
> authorities have the ability to do something
> about. The laws of the land make it possible for
> local authorities to do their job in regards to
> fighting illegal drugs.
>
> They don't have that ability when it comes to
> illegal immigrants. Frey is one man on a nine man
> Board of Supervisors which was lead at one time by
> Gerry Connolly and is no lead by his hand picked
> successor in Sharon Bulova.
>
> So no, Frey wouldn't be "OK" with setting up a
> cocaine distribution center in Fairfax.

Most of that is true, but he is in position to pass a local law giving the police the ability to do something about the problem. Trying to just pass the issue off to congress is disingenuous when many localities and states across the country have passed similar laws themselves

Date: November 20, 2011 10:24PM

true but Wrote:
>
> Most of that is true, but he is in position to
> pass a local law giving the police the ability to
> do something about the problem. Trying to just
> pass the issue off to congress is disingenuous
> when many localities and states across the country
> have passed similar laws themselves

It's often been stated that the local politics is the most important in regards for getting things taken care of in the local community. But, from Mr. Frey's response, it appears he has no intentions of carrying out his duties properly.

Posted by: would never know ()
Date: November 20, 2011 10:25PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> Nighthawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > One problem with this day laborer site (of the
> > many problems with it) is that there's nothing
> > they can do to make day laborers use this
> > facility. They can still stand on the side of
> the
> > road and wait for people to hire them and there
> is
> > nothing that can or will be done to make
> employers
> > use the facility as well.
>
> Yeah, that's what I'm thinking might be the
> biggest hurdle. Anyone know what percent of the
> Herndon day laborers/clients actually used the
> system vs. those that found it easier or more
> efficient to do it the old way?

Theres no way to ever tell. Its undocumented work and the workers wouldnt come forward exposing themselfs for a study and no way companies would provide data on that if they even knew themselves.

Date: February 04, 2012 10:27AM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> Nighthawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > One problem with this day laborer site (of the
> > many problems with it) is that there's nothing
> > they can do to make day laborers use this
> > facility. They can still stand on the side of
> the
> > road and wait for people to hire them and there
> is
> > nothing that can or will be done to make
> employers
> > use the facility as well.
>
> Yeah, that's what I'm thinking might be the
> biggest hurdle. Anyone know what percent of the
> Herndon day laborers/clients actually used the
> system vs. those that found it easier or more
> efficient to do it the old way?

The Centreville Labor Resource Center is in its infancy but is anyone actually using the center? It's been some time since I was in that area but I had the opportunity to drive through Machen Rd/St. Germain Dr this morning. There were no fewer than 30 day laborers standing in the sidewalks and on curbs. CLRC got non-stop months of unquestioningly positive and supportive (and dare I say naive) media coverage leading up to the opening. How long before we get a news story about how effective it has been? 2 months after opening I'd say it has had predictable results.

Perhaps they are having much better success in providing other forms of support for these day laborers but it should not be ignored that the big selling point to the public was that the center will be "a way to keep immigrant workers who are looking for work from gathering on street corners and impeding commerce and traffic."

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 04, 2012 10:39AM

Oddly Michael Frey's office has not issued a statement on this yet that I have seen.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: February 04, 2012 11:04AM

The problem with the center - and certainly for the future - is the politicians are getting involved and making it a MUCH less desirable place for illegals to congregate. I believe I just read that the folks in Richmond, of all places, is now requiring something stupid w.r.t. eVerify for everyone that uses the Centreville center.

====

I am ambivalent about "illegal" immigration - my own great grandparents (at least on one side) were immigrants back when there really wasn't anything "illegal" about it - you just came here and did whatever you had to do to survive. It was only much much later that "we" made it illegal.

If we accept that the people we want to get off the streets are largely illegals and we spend LOTS of money to create a place where they can go instead then, IMHO, it's beyond dumb to then make that place an unlikely place where those folks would want to go.

Posted by: Young Farte ()
Date: February 04, 2012 10:04PM

Your Grandparents were legal imigrants you tool, unless they swam the Rio Grande to get here....and the answer to wht they don't use the new "employment center"......it's a trap!
Attachments:
illegal-alien-trap.jpg

Date: February 11, 2012 01:51PM

http://www.centre-view.com/news/2012/feb/09/progress-report-labor-resource-center/

Notable quotes:

"The CLRC ... registered more than 150 Centreville-area residents who want temporary employment."

"Jobs are limited during winter months and ... 20-30 workers also hit the street on mild days during the past month."

"The workers say the main reason they remain on the street is because contractors are resistant to using the CLRC..."

In a way it should not be surprising that the lowlifes who created the demand for cheap and exploitable labor do not want to use the CLRC - sort of circumvents the whole concept of cheap and exploitable labor.

Posted by: Virginian ()
Date: February 11, 2012 03:46PM

I am inclined to lable this a huge, foreseeable failure. I just read the whole article and you tell me the number they should be proud of but don't mention.......how many jobs have they had since they opened. You know who shouldn't be proud?? The Centreville residents too cheap to hire a licensed, bonded, legitimate worker.

Date: September 28, 2013 02:01PM

I guess jobs are still "limited" through the CLRC. The last 2 times I went to the library there was a gauntlet of "workers" surrounding the library. And I had to drive around an Indian dude who parked his minivan right in the street while he got out to negotiate/pick-up some labor.

Posted by: Sharonista ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:11PM

Hopefully soon we will have all these fine folks nestled away in luxury condos. We just need a few more dollars in taxes to make this happen.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.