HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Home depot, ace, or lowes?
Posted by: Harry ()
Date: January 11, 2011 03:43PM

Your opinions on Ace vs Home Depot vs Lowe's?

Inb4 I hate home depot and milfs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home depot, ace, or lowes?
Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: January 11, 2011 03:49PM

Home Depot could not be run any worse. I worked there for a few years and employees would just clock in and vanish for a few hours. People would go to the movies across the street, out to drink, and in a few cases a guy took the metro into D.C. People would avoid customers all day and refuse to show them where stuff was located. Working in the shipping department, we got away with never wearing that orange apron and management never cared.

Funny story, one time this guy was doing inventory and he came across a box that contained an expensive door handle that looked like it had been tampered with. He opened it up and it was literally full of shit. Somebody stole the handle and took a dump in the box before putting it back on the shelf. Another time some dumbass African guy took the forklift (the kind that cannot be driven outside) and ran it into the sliding glass entrance. He smashed the door, the frame, and damage the wall as well. They had to close the main entrance to the store all day because of this idiot. There was this Mexican guy in his early 20's, dude must have weighed over 300 pounds. One day this girl came in and ordered some stuff from him at the pro desk. He then takes her personal information and starts writing her love letters and basically harassed her until her boyfriend called the district manager and threatened a lawsuit unless he stopped.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 03:57PM by BrandonVA.

Posted by: Hard Ware ()
Date: January 11, 2011 03:56PM

ACE seems to have WAY too many employees for the number of customers they have; it's totally not clear to me how this could be cost effective. For a small store, though, they have an amazing number of items - rarely do I go there (within walking distance) and NOT find what I'm looking for. These comments apply to Sully Station ACE.

ACE is more expensive across the board, I believe, than either Lowes or Home Depot.

As far as I have seen, Lowes and Home Depot are "about the same". I don't have anything against either - for larger construction projects either of those would be better than ACE (like lumber-using, etc).

For convenience I use ACE for the "small" items 'cause it's a nice walk from my house, for anything major (e.g., vertical blinds recently), I use Lowes mostly (again, convenience because it's closer (Metrotech)) or Home Depot over by the landfill off the county parkway.

Posted by: lur king ()
Date: January 11, 2011 03:58PM

Lowes. Nuf said.

Posted by: Bob Villa ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:01PM

Home depot looks like a home supply flea market, what a DUMP. Lowes, at their opening was manned by polite helpful folks, now they could give a shit lessabout you. Ace, expensive, but connvenient and well stocked for a small store. Ill buy at Ace just to keep them in business...

Posted by: Observer of Things ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:20PM

Ace.
Lowes is runner-up.
I no longer go to Home Depot.

Chief driver for me is customer service. Aces usually have it in spades. So does Lowes. Home Depot has horrible customer service. Plus, Ace stores specialize locally, some still carry guns and ammunition, and even many of the ones that don't still have FFLs and will accommodate transfers.

Almost to a man, Home Depot's employees seem too lazy to be bothered to do their jobs.

Posted by: ToolMan ()
Date: January 11, 2011 05:25PM

Harry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your opinions on Ace vs Home Depot vs Lowe's?
>
>
> Inb4 I hate home depot and milfs

Why do you hate milfs? If you don't have the tool for the job, I can give you lessons. Visit me with your wife/sister/girl friend, and you can watch me drill them until they squeal!

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 11, 2011 06:32PM

Lowes for the win. Home Depot looks like a flea market full of contractor grade shit. I hate that orange decor. Ace is small, inconvenient for me, and more expensive.

I will give props to Home Depot for having a better selection of outdoor lighting fixtures and storm doors - both of which I've installed in the last 6 months. Lowe's was better (for me) for ceramic wall/floor tiles, tools, carpeting and landscaping pavers.

I generally know what I"m looking for, but when I have to ask a question the Lowe's employees generally know what they are talking about. My experience with Home Depot was 50/50.

Posted by: Lowes ()
Date: January 11, 2011 06:43PM

Home Depot has gone down hill. Lowes rocks!

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: January 11, 2011 06:53PM

Love going to Lowe's. All of the employees are usually pretty informative AND they know where shit is in their store. I always have to ask 4-5 employees to find one thing @ Home Despot.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:03PM

I'd shop Lowes more often, but the closest Lowes is out in friggin' Chantilly. There are probably 5 Home Depots that are closer to me than Lowes.

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:07PM

ITRADE, there's a Lowe's up 28 near Dulles Town Center - any closer for you?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:08PM

Nope. Maybe they should take over that shit show of an empty shell that is over in Tysons Corner. There used to be a World Market and a Linens N Things there IIRC.

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:30PM

Hardware, do you live in those homes around sully park/Braddock?

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:40PM

I leave the county and go to the South Riding Home Depot for the service. The Chantilly Lowes is horrific in regard to finding someone, getting good service, and/or knowledgeable employees.

Yelp reviewers tend to agree: http://www.yelp.com/biz/lowes-chantilly

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Hard Ware ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:47PM

Harry Wrote:
> Hardware, do you live in those homes around sully
> park/Braddock?

Sully Park - is that the dinky road off whatever Westfields Blvd is called there where the police put up their lidar trap (school zone)?

No.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 11, 2011 07:56PM

Everyone seems to hate Home Depot. I agree totally for all the reasons given except the MILF-hating.

I agree with customer service at Ace, they are always eager to help. They do have a lot of employees, but that is a lot better than not enough. If Ace had the prices of Lowes it would be the perfect store. I really don't think I have been that ass-raped on prices from Ace on some things. General tools, bits, glues, tapes, etc seem to be priced fine. Stuff like sink repair parts can be found cheaper elsewhere.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:04PM

Dane Bramage Wrote:
> I leave the county and go to the South Riding Home
> Depot for the service. The Chantilly Lowes is
> horrific in regard to finding someone, getting
> good service, and/or knowledgeable employees.
>
> Yelp reviewers tend to agree:
> http://www.yelp.com/biz/lowes-chantilly

Yeah, that Lowes sucks for customer service. That's the one closest to my mom, so I make sure I go with her so that the odds that she gets everything that she needs increases. Many times she's come back missing something simply because she can't find anyone to ask for help and get some advice. How many 60 year old women know all the nuances of what to buy for their little projects?? She likes ACE because she's always found the employees to be helpful and knowledgable, but again, it can be a little pricey.

I've actually made special trips to the Lowes in Gainesville - that store is really proactive when it comes to in store service.

Posted by: ISHOP ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:23PM

Ace has a lot of the franchise owner's family in the store so it looks like there's more employees there than there actually are.

Lowe's has better lumber. Home Depot has more Mexicans (except the Lowe's in Chantilly, which is overrun with Beaners).

Posted by: Norm abrahms ()
Date: January 11, 2011 08:48PM

I tried to buy a front door at Chantilly Lowes. The sales turd was only interested in selling me a basic door for about a grand plus installation. I tried to work with him to get something that didnt compare to getting a whole addition and he became rude and condesending. I ended up stripping and redoing the old door myself. Rather than assisting customers, the others pal around and walk by you bitching about how few hours they are scheduled for. The folks at the paint department always look pissed off. I feel like saying. "Im sorry your life sucks"

Date: January 11, 2011 09:45PM

Tru Value

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Ace is the Place ()
Date: January 12, 2011 01:04AM

Ace all the way. They're generally locally owned franchises as opposed to a big box store like Lowes or Droolcup Depot.

While the prices tend to be a bit higher, the service more than makes up for.

Posted by: GO2ACE ()
Date: September 25, 2013 12:27AM

Ace has my vote! In the past I primarily shopped with Home Depot and Lowes. I recently moved and the closest hardware store was Ace, so I went in to check it out. They were very well stocked and had excellent service.

Posted by: Get What You Pay For ()
Date: September 25, 2013 09:43AM

The old saying is still true. Look at Home Depot as an example - They keep manpower cost as low as possible, and profits high. They don't give a shit because the customer doesn't give a shit either. The customer wants to pay little or nothing, and the management at Home Depot want to pay little or nothing. Result is a pissed off work staff of people that speak very little English, and customers that hate the store, but like pigs to the trough they keep coming back because of the cheap prices - Just like Wal Mart.

Shop at ACE

Posted by: mantutian ()
Date: September 25, 2013 10:24AM

My experience; my three cents:

Ace (twins)--great advice/instructions; higher-end brands (Stihl, etc), decent variety.

Lowes (chantilly or alex)--for variety/selection, hit-or-miss on help.

Home Depot (ffx circle or merrifield)--for no-help bare basics: find yourself; load yourself; and pay for/cashier it yourself.

Posted by: Harry Homeowner ()
Date: September 25, 2013 12:22PM

If you know what you're doing, know what you need and don't need any help, go to Home Depot. It's cheaper. Otherwise, go to Lowes.

What I hate is that almost every time I go to HD, they close the very aisle I need to be in to fuck around with the forklift. I complained online once and got a $25 gift card out of it. When I used to work for Hechinger's, we practically ran down customers. The good old days...

Ace/True Value is expensive and for old people and women too cheap to hire someone to do the work that there is almost no way in hell they could ever do themselves.

Posted by: K. Lepto ()
Date: September 25, 2013 01:57PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Nope. Maybe they should take over that shit show
> of an empty shell that is over in Tysons Corner.
> There used to be a World Market and a Linens N
> Things there IIRC.

Wasn't there a Hechinger in that location back in the day?

Posted by: Correct ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:43PM

K. Lepto Wrote:
> ITRADE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nope. Maybe they should take over that shit
> show
> > of an empty shell that is over in Tysons Corner.
>
> > There used to be a World Market and a Linens N
> > Things there IIRC.
>
> Wasn't there a Hechinger in that location back in
> the day?

Yes.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 25, 2013 02:58PM

Correct Wrote:
> K. Lepto Wrote:
> -----
> > ITRADE Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Nope. Maybe they should take over that shit
> > show
> > > of an empty shell that is over in Tysons
> Corner.
> >
> > > There used to be a World Market and a Linens
> N
> > > Things there IIRC.
> >
> > Wasn't there a Hechinger in that location back
> in
> > the day?
>
>
> Yes.

Don't know if it was accidental but in the late 1970s it seemed like Hechingers would staff the Tysons store with the hot younger female employees.

As for ratings I used to put Fischers on top. They were more expensive but the had tons of "heritage" parts and staff who knew how to do things. Twins Ace in Fairfax is good but not quite in the same league, plus it is less convenient. There aren't any Lowes in the eastern county so it is Home Depot by default, except lawn and garden when I use either Merrifield or Meadow Farms.

Posted by: svennestle ()
Date: September 25, 2013 03:00PM

definitely Lowe's

Home Depot is guaranteed to have 3/4 of what you need to FINISH a job. They never stock things so that jobs can be completed.

Lowe's I think has more made in U.S.A. products too.

Ace i'm sorry i don't have much any shopping experience at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 03:00PM by svennestle.

Posted by: Mystery Shopper ()
Date: September 25, 2013 03:08PM

The best hardware store I've been to is in Manassas on Mathis ave. Yeah, it is a beaner infested center, but the J.E Rice Tru Value store is a step back in time. A great family owned joint with all Americans who speak English working there and lots of cool stuff you won't find elsewhere. Always enjoy going there. Not to mention Tony's Pizza next door kicks ass. Just stay away from the Advance Auto Parts on the other side unless you are here illegally. Then it will seem like you are back in whatever third world shithole you were kicked out of.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.