HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS WANTS MORE MONEY
Posted by: VOTE NO VOTE NO ()
Date: May 20, 2013 12:57PM

I am voting NO. I hope you join me and vote no.\
Fairfax County voters will be asked to authorize funding for school construction this fall.

On Tuesday, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved the School Board’s request to place a $250 million bond referendum on the November ballot.

The funding will allow construction of two new elementary schools and additions at Westbriar Elementary and South Lakes High School to help relieve pressure on overcrowded schools.

The bond also covers renovations at nine elementary schools, Thoreau Middle School and Langley High School; planning costs for future school renovations and about $25 million for maintenance and equipment upgrades.

Langley is the first of the so-called “legacy schools” to be renovated. This group of high schools, including West Springfield, Herndon, Oakton and Falls Church, were all built around the same time in the 1960s and have never been renovated. The other legacy schools are planned for renovations in subsequent years.

Supervisor Jeff McKay (D-Lee) questioned the maintenance expenditures, saying he thinks voters support school bonds because they expect to see new or modernized schools as a result, not as a way of funding typical maintenance.

“I don’t think they think they’re paying to replace a roof,” he said.

The county and school boards have formed a joint working group focusing on overall capital needs around the county.

Supervisor John Cook (R-Braddock), who is chairman of the Capital Facilities and Debt Management Working Group, said the two bodies will use that forum to come together on shared principles, including what types of things should be considered maintenance, and which should be considered capital projects.

“We have cheated maintenance to balance budgets,” Cook said. “But if we’re talking about sustaining ourselves in the long term, the first step is getting a handle on maintenance. … Only then can you talk about capital.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS WANTS MORE MONEY
Posted by: oh yes vote no ()
Date: May 20, 2013 01:03PM

send a message to Bulova and the rest-it seems Fairfax can no longer afford school spirit…sorry folks

Posted by: letemburn ()
Date: May 20, 2013 01:12PM

Yes let our schools fall apart that will teach them. Dont worry it wont effect your property values or your children's education...

Posted by: J. Wellington Wimpy (D-Fairfax) ()
Date: May 20, 2013 01:17PM

Hurray! Yet another bond that will be rubberstamped by a stupid electorate.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" is NOT a tenet of responsible government. Or responsible behavior in any setting.

Posted by: Hopeless cause ()
Date: May 20, 2013 01:17PM

It'll pass, don't even waste your time worrying about it.

Bond referendums almost always pass because most voters don't even understand what the hell they are. That's why spendthrift politicians love them.

Posted by: Tax Payer ()
Date: May 20, 2013 01:18PM

letemburn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes let our schools fall apart that will teach
> them. Dont worry it wont effect your property
> values or your children's education...

I vote NO every single time. NO won everysingle time not sure why they keep asking us whent they know True-TAX Payer Americans will vote no.

Posted by: J. Wellington Wimpy (D-Fairfax) ()
Date: May 20, 2013 01:19PM

Hopeless cause Wrote:
> It'll pass, don't even waste your time worrying
> about it.
>
> Bond referendums almost always pass because most
> voters don't even understand what the hell they
> are. That's why spendthrift politicians love
> them.

Bonds are magic! We just tap the magic money tree!

Posted by: Colleen ()
Date: May 20, 2013 02:55PM

When I see halfway rational fiscal management, I'll consider voting yes on local bonds.

Maybe I'll see it in my lifetime...but I'm getting older.

Posted by: New ES? ()
Date: May 20, 2013 05:59PM

We have a perfect ES building sitting empty. Maybe the will reopen it since FCPS never took down the school sign.

Posted by: Do What Now? ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:02PM

Tax Payer Wrote:

> I vote NO every single time. NO won everysingle
> time not sure why they keep asking us whent they
> know True-TAX Payer Americans will vote no.

No won every single time? This county votes yes for just about any bond that has to do with schools, parks, or libraries.

Posted by: mother1 ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:36PM

I have kids in overcrowded schools so I am voting yes

Posted by: Roberto Griffin de tres ()
Date: May 20, 2013 08:25PM

You know what, teachers have not had a raise in this county in six years. Six years, no cost of living, no inflation, nothing. Every surrounding county, with the exception of PG, have surpassed all that FCPS has done. Quit being an uptight cracker and pay taxes toward education. YOu sound like an ignorant degenerant when you are criticizing taxes for Police, Education, and all other public jobs. Countries without education and policia are in a bigger hole than you, your Mcmansion, and your overpaid government job. Fuck off op!

Posted by: Colleen ()
Date: June 03, 2013 12:59AM

Roberto Griffin de tres Wrote:
> You know what, teachers have not had a raise in
> this county in six years. Six years, no cost of
> living, no inflation, nothing. Every surrounding
> county, with the exception of PG, have surpassed
> all that FCPS has done. Quit being an uptight
> cracker and pay taxes toward education. YOu sound
> like an ignorant degenerant when you are
> criticizing taxes for Police, Education, and all
> other public jobs. Countries without education
> and policia are in a bigger hole than you, your
> Mcmansion, and your overpaid government job. Fuck
> off op!

Sure pay the teachers more. Pay the teachers as much as possible. But, raising taxes is not the only answer on how to do that.

Let's see if you can come up with an answer to the riddle.

*insert Final Jeopardy theme*

Your answer must be in the form of a question.

Posted by: Liberal Logic 09 ()
Date: June 03, 2013 03:36AM

Roberto Griffin de tres Wrote:
> You know what, teachers have not had a raise in
> this county in six years. Six years, no cost of
> living, no inflation, nothing. Every surrounding
> county, with the exception of PG, have surpassed
> all that FCPS has done. Quit being an uptight
> cracker and pay taxes toward education. YOu sound
> like an ignorant degenerant when you are
> criticizing taxes for Police, Education, and all
> other public jobs. Countries without education
> and policia are in a bigger hole than you, your
> Mcmansion, and your overpaid government job. Fuck
> off op!

Maybe FCPS should cut their bloated administration then. Teachers start at 50k a year to work 9 months. They get 100s of applications for every open position and you have to have a masters to get hired so many people want to do it, that doesnt happen if they all think the pay sucks.

Its funny how people who arent teachers are the ones always bitching. If you are I would suggest that you do what your fellow teachers do and pick up a job during those 3 months off to supplement your income.

Posted by: new teacher ()
Date: June 03, 2013 04:55AM

Liberal Logic 09 Wrote:
> Roberto Griffin de tres Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You know what, teachers have not had a raise in
> > this county in six years. Six years, no cost
> of
> > living, no inflation, nothing. Every
> surrounding
> > county, with the exception of PG, have
> surpassed
> > all that FCPS has done. Quit being an uptight
> > cracker and pay taxes toward education. YOu
> sound
> > like an ignorant degenerant when you are
> > criticizing taxes for Police, Education, and
> all
> > other public jobs. Countries without education
> > and policia are in a bigger hole than you, your
> > Mcmansion, and your overpaid government job.
> Fuck
> > off op!
>
> Maybe FCPS should cut their bloated administration
> then. Teachers start at 50k a year to work 9
> months. They get 100s of applications for every
> open position and you have to have a masters to
> get hired so many people want to do it, that
> doesnt happen if they all think the pay sucks.
>
> Its funny how people who arent teachers are the
> ones always bitching. If you are I would suggest
> that you do what your fellow teachers do and pick
> up a job during those 3 months off to supplement
> your income.

Most teachers start at 44,000 and summer vacation is only nine or ten weeks. Keep in mind that every dollar invested in education is returned to the community ten fold or more as we are grooming future taxpayers here.

Posted by: Not Warren Buffett ()
Date: June 03, 2013 09:57AM

This investment return thing is bogus. Most of these kids do nothing but get babysat.

School administration is bloated, there are backroom deals on textbooks, the school board is corrupt and WAY too much money gets spent on crap like band trips.

Posted by: I am not bogus ()
Date: June 03, 2013 10:29AM

Listen. You pretty much get what you pay for. I love teaching. I'm on year 24 (three different districts). I do not babysit. I love getting kids interested, piquing their curiosity, hearing their voices and watching them grow. I work hard because I love what I am doing and I love the personal rewards of this job (yes, it is a calling for me). This is not a BS thing for me. I consider myself professional. Would I like to be paid more? Sure. I have only one child, but he wants to go to college and I want to help and I want to maintain some semblence of dignity in my old age. I do have a husband who works, but his job has some insecurity. I also do not believe that teaching should only be an "add-on spousal" job. That makes it inaccessible to so many talented and caring people. We already have a severe lack of male role models in this job. I think I am a pretty dang good teacher to all students, but I know my limitations. I know our boys are suffering and that we are not giving them what they need (and this has to do with the curriculum and lack of an exploratory type of coursework as well). We are losing our souls. We are losing sight of what is truly important in life---supporting the uniqueness of each mind. Can we accomplish this mission while spending a reasonable amount of money? I think we can if we keep our sights on the mission. Do we really have a choice?

Posted by: Oh do we pay and pay and pay ()
Date: June 03, 2013 11:09AM

We pay a vast amount of money for the school system and it is a pile of crap.

Money is wasted and Fairfax is one of the most opaque counties in the country. Jack Dale, Sharon Bulova, Norman Graves, Ed Long, they should join the Illuminati.

FCPS should stick to teaching and ditch the extra stuff, these instructional facilitators, band trips, Japanese lessons and who knows what else.

Date: June 03, 2013 11:24AM

new teacher Wrote:

> Most teachers start at 44,000 and summer vacation
> is only nine or ten weeks. Keep in mind that every
> dollar invested in education is returned to the
> community ten fold or more as we are grooming
> future taxpayers here.

Vacation is ONLY nine or ten weeks, are you kidding me? That takes most people years to get that much vacation time. You also left out Thanksgiving break, spring break, Christmas break, and every other holiday. Like I said if 44k isnt enough get a 2nd job in the down time. A vast majority of jobs dont start at 44k and require working a full year.

And no its a huge fallacy that every dollar spent on education brings back more money. Were way past the point of diminishing returns for education. We spend more money on education than any country on earth yet everyone isnt the next Eisenstein and top colleges feel the need to accept kids from around the world.

Get rid of the touchy feely social experimentation education and return to having the sciences taught and then youll start seeing a better return on the money being spent

Posted by: BOS asleep ()
Date: June 03, 2013 11:50AM

SAY WHAT???

You mean FCPS has been using bond money for non capital purposes????

Going back, what? 10 years?

And NOW, just NOW, in 2013, The BOS is asking questions?

Wow, we have a bunch of winners running govt don't we?

So what if we borrow money over 20 years at 4% interest to pay for "technology" (I mean computers) that last 4-5 years.

Don't stop the madness now.

Posted by: better late than never ()
Date: June 03, 2013 12:10PM

All members of BoS w possible exception of Herrity need to go. They grow government for their own enjoyment at taxpayers' expense. Let them see what the real world is like.

Posted by: lesson one ()
Date: June 03, 2013 05:57PM

Since some of the BOS folks seem to be finally paying attention to what FCPS does with the TWO billion they get each year, maybe they should look at this:

Portable Buildings Expenditures (trailers)

FY 2009 $2,342,086
FY 2010 $3,829,739
FY 2011 $3,731,679
FY 2012 ???

What is positively hilarios is the games FCPS plays each and every year with this line item.

Each year they "estimate" they will spend over 7 million on portables and each year they spend half of that.

IN FY 2010, they estimated $7.8 million and spent $3.8
In FY 2011, they estimated $7.8 million and spent $3.7
In FY 2012, they estimated $7.3 million and spent????

So they ask for twice what they know they will spend to jack up the transfer and the money ends up where???

Posted by: this is the question they ask ()
Date: June 03, 2013 06:15PM

School Board Member Requesting Information: Dan Storck

Answer Prepared By: Jeffrey Platenberg

Date Prepared: May 16, 2013
Question:
What is the length of time between when a school bus is ordered and when it is ready to be put into service?

Response:
Based on the last order of 90 buses during FY 2012, the length of time ranged from 5 to 10 months between the date of ordering and being put into service.

Posted by: lesson 2 ()
Date: June 03, 2013 06:21PM

Enrollment has increased about 15k-20k kids in the last 6 years. Goodness, we need more buses.

Buses/Vehicled Expenditures:

FY 2007 $13.7 million
FY 2008 $13.0 million
FY 2009 $11.6 million
FY 2010 $ 5.8 million
FY 2011 $8.5 million
FY 2012 $5.6 million
FY 2013 $4.0 million (estimate)

Now my question would be:

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?

Posted by: uh-huh ()
Date: June 03, 2013 06:36PM

Most teachers start at 44,000 and summer vacation is only nine or ten weeks. Keep in mind that every dollar invested in education is returned to the community ten fold or more as we are grooming future taxpayers here.

Since we're talking about taxes, should we bring up the fact that Fairfax County taxpayers are currently footing the bill to educate all the offspring of the illegals here in our county? I wonder how much that affects the math? Exactly how much are their parents paying into the system? Well, I guess eventually we'll get some money back when the second generation graduates and joins the work force (legally we hope).

Another math question - how many FCPS graduates actually stay here in FFX Co. after they've been "groomed", working and paying taxes back into the system? a. 5% b. 10% c. 15% d. 20%

Posted by: Exactly! ()
Date: June 03, 2013 06:51PM

Totally agree! Here's some info why we're having problems footing the county education bill and other bills too - wow are we generous

Prepared by Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood & Community Services
“ From the Human Services Perspective:
• In just 18 months, from July 1, 2009, to December 31, 2010, the number of households receiving public assistance through the county’s Department of Family
Services increased by 31 percent, from 58,561 to 76,906 households (DFS, Mar 2011).
• Fairfax County Coordinated Services Planning hotline requests for emergency food assistance have increased dramatically, with nearly 5,547 requests in FY
2010, compared with 2,883 requests in all of FY 2007. In January 2011 alone, 637 requests for emergency food were received -- the most ever received in one
month (NCS, Apr 2011).
• In FY 2010, 17,739 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as Food Stamps) applications were received. In FY 2008, 11,057 applications
were received (DMB, Feb 2011).
• During FY 2010, 2,690 non-English speakers improved basic English skills and 1,978 improved employment skills through assistance provided by organizations
funded through the Consolidated Community Funding Pool (DAHS, Dec 2010).”

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrph/pdf/behind_the_headline.pdf

Date: June 03, 2013 07:25PM

You're not kidding. Found this understated quote in the final chapters in the 213-page Fairfax County Full Annual Report.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrph/demrpts/report/fullrpt.pdf

One socioeconomic trend recently has become strong enough to put noticeable upward pressure on household
sizes in Fairfax County – economic stress. Economic stress often results in the doubling up of both family and
nonfamily members. The primary sources of this economic stress are two-fold. This economic stress is coming
from the current recession with its high unemployment and/or under-employment and is coming from the area’s high
housing costs (housing affordability).

So, I want to know how many people live in some of those units? Is there a limit?

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: June 03, 2013 07:43PM

lesson 2 Wrote:
> Enrollment has increased about 15k-20k kids in the
> last 6 years. Goodness, we need more buses.
>
> Buses/Vehicled Expenditures:
>
> FY 2007 $13.7 million
> FY 2008 $13.0 million
> FY 2009 $11.6 million
> FY 2010 $ 5.8 million
> FY 2011 $8.5 million
> FY 2012 $5.6 million
> FY 2013 $4.0 million (estimate)
>
> Now my question would be:
>
> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?

I don't understand these figures.

(I'm speaking of large general-ed buses here, not the smaller handicapped buses)

FY2010 zero new large buses purchased.
FY2011 zero new large buses purchased.
FY2012 zero new large buses purchased.
FY2013 approx 24 new large buses purchased.
FY2014 zero new large buses will be purchased.

Date: June 03, 2013 09:28PM

have we not been doing the math?
POPULATION BY RACE, FAIRFAX COUNTY
1950- -1960- -1970 --1975
Number Percent Number Percent Number Percent Number Percent
Caucasian 88,712 90.0 236,164 94.9 435,737 95.7 492,100 91.6
Negro 9,700 9.8 11,941 4.8 15,859 3.5 29,000 5.4
Other 145 0.2 792 0.3 3,425 0.8 8,100 1.5
Unknown 8,000 1.5 v
In 2009,19% of Fairfax Co. elementary school children spoke Spanish at home.

PER PUPIL COST OF EDUCATION
Fairfax County, 1963 to 1975
Operating
School Year Cost Per 'Pupil
1963 - 1964 $ 438
1964 - 1965 464
1965 - 1966 513
1966 - 1967 560
1967 - 1968 635
1968 - 1969 692
1969 - 1970 774
1970 - 1971 855
1971 - 1972 917
1972 - 1973 1,021
1973 - 1974 1,151
1974 - 1975 1,316
1975 - 1976 1,454
Source: Fairfax County Public Schools, Office
of Statistical Support.
-

2012 cost per student =
http://fairfax.homebyschool.com/how-does-fairfax-county-public-schools-compare-with-nearby-districts/
Calculating inflation only, What cost $438 in 1963 would cost $3241.00 in 2012. But four times that?! Not only are we subsidizing more students whose parents aren’t paying into the system, we also have almost quadrupled the costs to ‘educate’ them. And of course we are producing graduates that are four times smarter than back in the 60’s (?!) Surely this techno-savvy generation is way ahead of their parents cognitively. After all, they can use computers and have the www at their fingertips. All that knowledge must enable them to research and delve into subjects that their parents had never even heard of.

Posted by: sheriffjoejoe ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:26AM

That is what happens when you declare yourself a "Sanctuary city."

Posted by: SPEAR CHUKER PHIL ()
Date: June 04, 2013 10:10AM

Here's a good idea start checking for GREEN CARDS and make the savages pay for our education!

Posted by: realist2 ()
Date: June 04, 2013 10:19AM

SPEAR CHUKER PHIL Wrote:
> Here's a good idea start checking for GREEN CARDS
> and make the savages pay for our education!

No way that will happen. Educating those kids is way less expensive than not educating them.

Posted by: ICE, ICE, Baby ()
Date: June 04, 2013 10:34AM

Packing them up and sending them back to their motherland with their parents is cheaper than educating them.

I think the Fairfax taxpayers should be outraged. How much of their real estate property tax bills is going towards covering the education and meal programs for such individuals? $2,000 per year? $3,000 per year?

If the county broken this amount down and explained to the tax-payer that 33% of their taxes is currently going towards educating those children who were born in the U.S. but have parents who entered the U.S. illegally, people would finally start to wake up. I have a great suspicion that the county knows this number and percentage. However, it's probably locked in the same safe as the recipe for Coca-Cola as well as the Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe. If Fairfax county were to let this figure get released, there would be riots in the streets.

Posted by: a better way ()
Date: June 04, 2013 10:34AM

Jack Dale would not have liked it and Sharon Bulova won't but the reality is that Fairfax schools MUST go to "pay for service" for athletics, band, and other nonessential services. In addition, the County MUST collect a ten percent surcharge to administer these activities and associated fees. If athletic-relaed insurance costs increase, then those costs, plus an administrative surcharge, must be passed DIRECTLY to the "subscribers" for these activities.

In brief, no more free lunch at the expense of others.

Ed Long and the Board of Supervisors can put the tax increase where the sun does not shine.

Posted by: sherifjoejoe2 ()
Date: June 04, 2013 10:44AM

We the tax payers should be screaming holy hell to the BOS for claiming "Sanctuary city" status. It just attracts the illegals to Fairfax and we have to pay for them just so they can scream "we are so diverse here in FX"????

Date: June 04, 2013 05:38PM

a better way Wrote:
> Jack Dale would not have liked it and Sharon
> Bulova won't but the reality is that Fairfax
> schools MUST go to "pay for service" for
> athletics, band, and other nonessential services.
> In addition, the County MUST collect a ten percent
> surcharge to administer these activities and
> associated fees. If athletic-relaed insurance
> costs increase, then those costs, plus an
> administrative surcharge, must be passed DIRECTLY
> to the "subscribers" for these activities.

Yea theres clearly no where else that the budget can be trimmed, we need to keep all those administrative positions and other bullshit jobs the county has that do nothing so we can cut athletics which is the one service they do provide.

Clearly you dont understand how little they actually spend on that per year. It wont even come close to sniffing the 250 million they want. It wouldnt even get 10 percent of that. Thats not even getting into the fact of how stupid that would actually be in the first place

Posted by: that's fair ()
Date: June 04, 2013 05:56PM

No problem-charge me for high school sports. I don't mind.

Sure I was born in the US and have been paying taxes since I was 15 but hell, add more fees to my already absurd tax bill.

Just don't charge the ESL families that $20k it costs each year to teach their kids to speak english.

Date: June 04, 2013 08:19PM

ICE, ICE, Baby Wrote:
> Packing them up and sending them back to their
> motherland with their parents is cheaper than
> educating them.
>
> I think the Fairfax taxpayers should be outraged.
> How much of their real estate property tax bills
> is going towards covering the education and meal
> programs for such individuals? $2,000 per year?
> $3,000 per year?
>
> If the county broken this amount down and
> explained to the tax-payer that 33% of their taxes
> is currently going towards educating those
> children who were born in the U.S. but have
> parents who entered the U.S. illegally, people
> would finally start to wake up. I have a great
> suspicion that the county knows this number and
> percentage. However, it's probably locked in the
> same safe as the recipe for Coca-Cola as well as
> the Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe. If Fairfax
> county were to let this figure get released, there
> would be riots in the streets.

I totally agree that they should go back home and educate their kids there. However, those kids will be voting eventually and we know how they'll vote.

Regarding the rioting in the streets, I really don't think it would happen. Fairfax County taxpayers are for the most part hard-working and over-booked - hence they're pretty lacksadasical when it comes to these things. I don't know that anything short of downright theft would get the populaces attention.

Posted by: Tax payer too ()
Date: June 04, 2013 08:23PM

What about this is not downright theft?! We keep hearing about 'paying their fair share", so why is it that us taxpayers keep paying and the others keep raking it in?

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: June 04, 2013 09:45PM

Liberal Logic 09 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> Yea theres clearly no where else that the budget
> can be trimmed, we need to keep all those
> administrative positions and other bullshit jobs
> the county has that do nothing so we can cut
> athletics which is the one service they do
> provide.

Honestly, if you want to do something, just close Gatehouse. That's at least 5 or 6 million in salary right there.

Posted by: UH-HUH ()
Date: June 05, 2013 07:34PM

Gatehouse - Is that what is affectionately called Taj mahal? I never knew it actually had a name. I wonder how much money is in that budget every year. Do they post that info somewhere?

Posted by: nope ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:02PM

UH-HUH Wrote:
> Gatehouse - Is that what is affectionately called
> Taj mahal? I never knew it actually had a name.
> I wonder how much money is in that budget every
> year. Do they post that info somewhere?

The Fairfax County Government Center is what was dubbed the Taj Mahal.

Posted by: cue the violins ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:33PM

Tell you what...take 12 years off from your career to homeschool your kids and see if you do any better (I doubt it) than the teachers you whine about. Or move to another school district. Better yet, just shut up already about FCPS.

Posted by: uh huh sure thing ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:46PM

that's fair Wrote:
> No problem-charge me for high school sports. I
> don't mind.
>
> Sure I was born in the US and have been paying
> taxes since I was 15 but hell, add more fees to my
> already absurd tax bill.
>
> Just don't charge the ESL families that $20k it
> costs each year to teach their kids to speak
> english.

Yes, except they pay rent, which goes towards the same property taxes that you supposedly pay fuckin moron. Fairfax County Schools are not paid on income tax, so your argument is full of caca muchacho

Fuckin ignorant cunt

Posted by: Dr bombay ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:51PM

letemburn Wrote:
> Yes let our schools fall apart that will teach
> them. Dont worry it wont effect your property
> values or your children's education...

By all means, let's talk about if education affects the effect

Posted by: Gerry and Sharon show ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:51PM

uh huh sure thing Wrote:
> Yes, except they pay rent, which goes towards the
> same property taxes that you supposedly pay fuckin
> moron. Fairfax County Schools are not paid on
> income tax, so your argument is full of caca
> muchacho
>
> Fuckin ignorant cunt

Who told you that BS. Income taxes most certainly do make their way back to the schools. Every year you hear the BOS bitching about the state not putting in more money for them to waste. FCPS receives a nice contribution from the state and feds. Jesus where have you been all this time not to know that.

Posted by: More on that ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:52PM

The county even has personnel whose job it is to apply for Federal and State grants.

Posted by: Hush Little Baby ()
Date: June 05, 2013 10:53PM

uh-huh Wrote:

>
> Since we're talking about taxes, should we bring
> up the fact that Fairfax County taxpayers are
> currently footing the bill to educate all the
> offspring of the illegals here in our county? I
> wonder how much that affects the math? Exactly
> how much are their parents paying into the system?

DO NOT TALK ABOUT THIS. EVER.

One of the few times that Jack Dale was shouted down and chastised by the School Board was when he brought this topic up at a school board meeting. He had data that showed how many children of illegals transferred from Prince William to Fairfax when PW started enforcing their laws.

There is a YouTube video of the exchange, but I just searched and could not find it.

The data was ordered destroyed and the subject of illegals was never talked about in public again.

Date: June 05, 2013 11:26PM

uh huh sure thing Wrote:

> muchacho
>
> Fuckin ignorant cunt

You described yourself perfectly with the last line of your statement.

Keep making excuses for law breakers that benefit from the government system without paying into in any way other than sales tax though.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: June 06, 2013 12:18AM

uh huh sure thing Wrote:
> muchacho

How stupid are you willing to look?

Date: June 06, 2013 06:02PM

Now wait a second. We're not allowed to talk about this? I just went through the behemoth publication known as FCPS Approved Budget 2013. They may not want to talk about it at School Board meetings, but they certainly take a different approach when justifying the budget.

" The FY 2013 projection includes 3,907 students
more than the FY 2012 projection. Additionally, due to a much higher than
anticipated number of ESOL services provided in FY 2012, FCPS is projecting
that it will need to provide 7,652 more ESOL services in FY 2013 than had been
projected for in FY 2012."

and...

"One of the major challenges addressed by the budget is the continuing change
in the composition of the student population. Today students come from more
than 200 countries and speak over 100 different languages, and Fairfax County
teaches approximately 39 percent of the limited English proficient students in
the Commonwealth of Virginia....

...Average additional cost per pupil for providing ESOL services $3,324...

...As noted above, one measure of poverty is the number of students eligible
for free and reduced-price meals. This program is one of the fastest growing
segments of the FCPS student population. In FY 2013, it is projected that
47,188 FCPS students will be eligible to participate. This represents a 38.6
percent increase over FY 2008. FCPS provides needs-based staffing across all
school levels which is specifically designed to provide additional resources to
help economically disadvantaged students."

In fact, the last 5 years look like this...

"Change from FY2008- FY2013
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) +44.7%
Students Eligible for Free and Reduced-Price Meals +38.6%"

So, me thinks it's time that we DO start talking about it.

Posted by: A student at a "legacy" school ()
Date: June 06, 2013 09:22PM

The buildings are falling apart. The climate control systems in most buildings take days to switch between heating and cooling. On any given day, temperatures can range from 90 F to 50 F. Leaks through the ceilings from pipes as well as outdated conditioners are commonplace and often never fixed. Bathrooms are a nightmare of miss matched faucets, toilets, sinks, and stalls. Anything painted is peeling. Athletic facilities look like crap. Rats, roaches, ants, centipede bugs with long legs, and other undesirable pests are everywhere, especially at night. I once entered a classroom in the morning to discover some toadstools sprouting under my desk. The upper story floors shake easily too.

Many schools look worse than prisons, yet FCPS spends millions on the South County area which has already gained a new high school as well as a middle school to compensate for the mass migration to an actual school like building.

All I can tell this board for certain is that there are no visible changes due to increased spending except for some new flat screen tvs, pointless professionally made murals, and the "school changing smartboards" which teachers never ever use.

Posted by: waste of money and space ()
Date: June 06, 2013 10:23PM

+100 on the "smartboards"

Date: June 08, 2013 09:24PM

Dale, Jack D Division Superintendent Gatehouse Administration Center I $312,845
Moniuszko, Richard A Deputy Superintendent Gatehouse Administration Center I $228,499
Tistadt, Dean A Chief Operating Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $221,194
Murphy, Anne M Division Counsel Gatehouse Administration Center I $197,283
Burke, Linda L Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $168,379
Butz, Leslie L Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $161,051
Pajardo, Phyllis C Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources Gatehouse Administration Center I $161,051
Parris, Daniel H II Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $157,123
Ivey, Frances W Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $152,546
Hunter, Barbara M Assistant Superintendent, Communications&Community Outreach Gatehouse Administration Center I $152,546
Quinn, Susan S Assistant Superintendent, Financial Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $152,546
Kacur, James J Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $148,104
Jackson, Deborah R Special Projects Administrator, Teacher Evaluation Gatehouse Administration Center I $145,216
Smith, Marty K Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $143,095
Tyler, Deborah L Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $143,095
Zuluaga, Fabio E Assistant Superintendent, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $143,095
Carlson, Grady K Assistant Division Counsel Gatehouse Administration Center I $135,508
Yusuf, Shakeel Comptroller Gatehouse Administration Center I $134,244
Marinoff, Joseph M Jr. Special Projects Administrator, Teacher Evaluation Gatehouse Administration Center I $131,612
Lentini, Donna H Director II, Operations & Strategic Planning Gatehouse Administration Center I $129,068
Keninitz, Mary E Director II, Payroll Management Gatehouse Administration Center I $129,068
Ellis, Frederick Director II, Safety & Security Gatehouse Administration Center I $129,068
Jett, Paula L Director II, Salary Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $129,068
Ege, Cheryl L Director, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Project Gatehouse Administration Center I $129,068
Marchant, Carol A Assistant Division Counsel Gatehouse Administration Center I $128,979
Sneed, Kevin M Director III, Design & Construction Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $128,402
Newman, Samuel E Sr. Director II, Employee Performance & Development Gatehouse Administration Center I $126,537
Crosby, Anthony E Director II, Procurement Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $126,537
Weatherman, Theresa M School Board Auditor Gatehouse Administration Center I $125,270
Zupovitz, Meir J Assistant Comptroller Gatehouse Administration Center I $124,091
Jenkins, Warren D Coordinator IV, Facility Services Customer Service Center Gatehouse Administration Center I $124,091
Dreyfuss, Jane S Director, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $124,091
Matlock, Judith F Director, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $124,091
Hilty, Mark T Assistant Director, Design & Construction Gatehouse Administration Center I $124,090
Scanlan, Dana M Administrative Hearing Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $122,214
Hairston, Bonzetta L Assistant Administrative Hearing Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $121,658
Kreloff, Nancy K Assistant Administrative Hearing Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $121,658
McCann, Eric G Director, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $121,658
Pender, Lee A Director II, Administrative Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $120,440
Craig, Amy M Coordinator II, Community & Facility Use Gatehouse Administration Center I $119,307
Rogers, Thomas J Coordinator III, Dept. Special Services Financial Management Gatehouse Administration Center I $119,307
Sheikh, Mahmood A Coordinator III, Financial Services Systems & Control Gatehouse Administration Center I $119,307
Chen, Joanne M Coordinator III, Student Registration Gatehouse Administration Center I $119,307
Holleb, Aimee J Director, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $118,690
Taylor, Anita W Director, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $118,690
Curran, William G Director II, Activities & Athletic Programs Gatehouse Administration Center I $117,503
James, Denise M Director II, Facilities Services Planning Gatehouse Administration Center I $117,503
Slattery, Kevin M Auditor III Gatehouse Administration Center I $116,968
McLain, James R Coordinator II, Security Gatehouse Administration Center I $116,968
Blanda, Melissa H Coordinator III, Disabilities & Leave Benefits Gatehouse Administration Center I $116,968
Houston, Joseph S Coordinator III, Human Resources FASTeam Gatehouse Administration Center I $116,968
Finnerty, Shawn Coordinator III, Support Employment Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $116,968
Harris, Clara L Project Manager, Student Learning Plan Gatehouse Administration Center I $114,707
Kerr, Stephen P School Investigation Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $114,707
Kellogg, Teresa A Coordinator III, Benefits Insurance Gatehouse Administration Center I $114,115
Gomez, Adrian R Coordinator III, Financial Services FASTeam Gatehouse Administration Center I $114,115
Holbrook, Mark T Assistant Administrative Hearing Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $112,971
Torre, John J Public Information Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $112,971
Love, Amy F Budget Analyst IV Gatehouse Administration Center I $112,458
O'Neill, Douglass T Coordinator II, Safety Gatehouse Administration Center I $111,331
Von Kahle, Anne Marie Budget System Analyst Gatehouse Administration Center I $110,282
Christesen, Kathleen B Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $110,282
Anderson, James D Assistant Administrative Hearing Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $110,216
New, Michelle A Coordinator IV, Budget Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $110,216
Garant, Jay P Coordinator IV, Business & Community Partnerships Gatehouse Administration Center I $110,216
Arrington, Timothy Director, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $110,216
Goddard, Pamela Executive Assistant, School Board Gatehouse Administration Center I $110,216
Almquist, Jon L Athletic Training Programs Administrator Gatehouse Administration Center I $109,715
Rawat, Ajay Coordinator III, Facilities Services Planning Gatehouse Administration Center I $108,616
Malan, Elizabeth A Coordinator III, Financial Support Gatehouse Administration Center I $108,616
Calderwood, Margaret M Administrator, Human Resources (HR) Technology Gatehouse Administration Center I $107,527
Cross, Laura W Assistant Administrative Hearing Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $107,527
Donohue, Christine W Chief of Staff Gatehouse Administration Center I $107,527
Fisher, Donnell Coordinator IV, Instructional Employment Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $107,527
Michael, Kristen K Director III, Budget Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $106,455
Martin, John Electrical Engineer II Gatehouse Administration Center I $106,027
Koves, Donna M Employee Performance Assessment Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $106,027
Bochert, James H Coordinator III, Data Management Gatehouse Administration Center I $105,966
Williams, Shelton D Coordinator III, Facilities Services Financial Management Gatehouse Administration Center I $105,966
Campbell, Douglas A Coordinator III, Payroll & Benefits Accounting Gatehouse Administration Center I $105,966
Cordova, Robert W Coordinator III, Property Management Gatehouse Administration Center I $105,966
Anderson, Nurit Equity & Compliance Administrator Gatehouse Administration Center I $105,966
Duggan, Fleur Manager, Construction Projects Gatehouse Administration Center I $105,482
Ours, Thomas A Manager, Construction Projects Gatehouse Administration Center I $105,482
Emery, Mark H After-School Programs Administrator Gatehouse Administration Center I $104,428
Petrich, Evangeline R Director, Cluster Gatehouse Administration Center I $104,396
Lako, John III Accounting Analyst II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Gambhir, Subhash Architectural Engineer II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Manyfield, Doris W Budget Analyst II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Sarna, Sunny Civil Engineer II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Blake, Richard S Electrical Engineer II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Bojtos, Marcela I Employee Performance Assessment Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Fagan, Nell B Employee Performance Assessment Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
McCurdy-Pair, Angela Employment Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Campbell, David L Jr. Field Construction Supervisor Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Sessere, Suzanne M Functional Application Specialist II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Enriquez, Dennis L Mechanical Engineer II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Ford, Alice S Recruitment Specialist II Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Wilson, Kenneth T Safety Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,948
Day, Deedre E Administrator, Human Resources (HR) Technology Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,382
Rauch, Brady B Coordinator III, Capital Projects Gatehouse Administration Center I $103,382
Zayas, Jay J Manager, Construction Projects Gatehouse Administration Center I $102,909
Spille, Tina C Manager, Salary Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,881
Gustafson, Brooke D Budget Analyst II Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Boivin, Elisabeth L Employment Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Davila, Erick F Functional Application Specialist II Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Wilson, Jacquelyn O Functional Application Specialist II Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Trouton, Lorraine Health Services Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Mantzoros, Thomas G Jr. Planner II Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Campo, Kenneth G Safety Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Modell, Melody R Student Activities Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Bartus, Camille A Wellness Program Specialist Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,413
Felix, Lisa S Assistant Administrative Hearing Officer Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,355
Molloy, Michael A Director I, Governmental Relations Gatehouse Administration Center I $101,355
Liverman, Paul F Jr. Manager, Roofing Construction Gatehouse Administration Center I $100,400
Draeger, Michael S Coordinator III, Licensure Gatehouse Administration Center I $100,370
Russell, Melissa O Coordinator III, Payroll Administration Gatehouse Administration Center I $100,370
Callahan, Robert G Employee Relations Administrator Gatehouse Administration Center I $100,370

Date: June 08, 2013 09:26PM

BTW, that's just the 6-digit club from last year's numbers. Didn't want the post TOOO long

Posted by: Thomas Paine ()
Date: June 08, 2013 09:47PM

Nice list. Did you see that they all work at Gatehouse there? None of them are teachers, that's where your money is going.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.