HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Food Lion Fair Lakes Closing
Posted by: centreville-resident ()
Date: January 19, 2013 10:28PM

The Food Lion in Fair Lakes will be completely closed out some time in February.

I guess Walmart took all their business.

So, what does the rumor mill say will replace Food Lion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food Lion Fair Lakes Closing
Posted by: gadg ()
Date: January 20, 2013 07:18AM

it would be nice if it was a Harris Teeter or Trader Joes

Posted by: Bloom Lion ()
Date: January 20, 2013 07:40AM

They just remodeled that store too.

Posted by: Wegman's ()
Date: January 20, 2013 08:55AM

What's..."Food Lion"?

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: January 20, 2013 09:35AM

centreville-resident Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Food Lion in Fair Lakes will be completely
> closed out some time in February.
>
> I guess Walmart took all their business.
>
> So, what does the rumor mill say will replace Food
> Lion?

So Food Lion lasted 1 year? Before that, it was a Bloom. Horrible location for a grocery store, everyone forgets about it and Walmart/Target kills them.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: January 20, 2013 09:47AM

i doubt that walmart ran them out. try more like wegmans and harris teeter did. food lion blows anyway.

Posted by: fair lakes yippy ()
Date: January 20, 2013 09:55AM

I went to that Food Lion a couple times. Everything was MORE expensive than Wegmans. No reason to go back.

Posted by: singletons grove ()
Date: January 20, 2013 10:56AM

JustanFYI Wrote:
> centreville-resident Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Food Lion in Fair Lakes will be completely
> > closed out some time in February.
> >
> > I guess Walmart took all their business.
> >
> > So, what does the rumor mill say will replace
> Food
> > Lion?
>
>
> So Food Lion lasted 1 year? Before that, it was a
> Bloom. Horrible location for a grocery store,
> everyone forgets about it and Walmart/Target kills
> them.

No it was a food lion for about 10 years then became a bloom and turned back into a food lion. Bloom was a failed food lion concept store.
Sad to see the lion run off, the store was so easy to get in and out of when I just needed a few things and was way cheaper than Weggies or hairy teeters. Walmart is the cheapest place to shop but everything is so spread out in there you have to walk for miles, wait in long lines and encounter the great unwashed citizenry.

Posted by: 0tter ()
Date: January 21, 2013 12:01PM

Yeah I went to that store for ease of use too. Everything else around here (Walmart, Target, Costco, Whole Foods) can sometimes be a pain to get in and out of.

Posted by: ffxcoresident ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:25PM

That was a bad location for a value grocery store. Especially with the Wal Mart right next door.

The majority of people who live in that area are your garden variety yuppy. The gluten-free, organic, I don't give a fuck that it costs twice as much, crowd. The crowd that goes to whole foods and wegmans where the aisles are so small that you bump into someone 5 seconds.

Then there are the cheap, I don't care where it comes from as long as I'm spending less crowd that goes to wal mart.

There really isn't room for a middle tier choice. I guess you could call Target the middle tier, but that was in the same shopping center as well.

Posted by: lovingston ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:26PM

Food Lion should have just stuck with it's niche. Which is putting stores out in the boonies where there's not even a Walmart.

My hunting/getaway cabin in Nelson County used to have only a tiny IGA grocery store. Then Food Lion came to town a built a large brand new store. The IGA soon folded and Food Lion is doing a brisk business. They're the only full service grocery store in at least a 60 mile radius.

Too much competition in metro areas like NOVA.

Posted by: grrrg ()
Date: January 25, 2013 07:03PM

For living in the immediate area, that was by far the most convenient place to get food. Wal-Mart is a nightmare of crowds, long lines, bad parking, and screaming babies. I do not look forward to braving Stringfellow to get to Giant, or going all the way to West Ox for Safeway. I hope another reasonably priced grocery goes in that spot (we already have a Whole Foods in FL - we don't need a Wegmans or a Trader Joe's).

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: January 25, 2013 07:08PM

@grrrg - if y'all have the Whole Foods, why do you need another food store then? just curious..................

@ ffxcoresident, lovingston - you two should be on their board of directors LoLz

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: January 25, 2013 09:15PM

I used to go there when it was a Bloom. Going to say it's a 1-2 combo of terrible location and the fact an Uber Walmart and Uber Target are in the same shopping center.

Teeter 4 lyfe.

Posted by: WhereIsMyGuy ()
Date: January 26, 2013 12:47PM

A local contractor has been hiring illegals and killing them after their shift to avoid paying them. FCPD received a tip that the bodies will be stored inside the vacated building once Food Lion leaves.

Posted by: Duggars ()
Date: January 26, 2013 10:20PM

Wegman's Wrote:
> What's..."Food Lion"?

+1

It's a pet store?

Posted by: La Grande Union ()
Date: January 27, 2013 08:24AM

You know I'll miss that Food Lion been shopping at that place since it opened in 1992 and seen the occasional nice looking woman at that place. Good looking women at Walmart, please and Target seems to draw the ever annoying soccer van mom's. Is Food Lion still keeping open the one's in Chantilly and Manassas?

I do like a few items they carry. For instance, in the last year or so Lil' Debbie has been jacking up their prices and too me they don't taste as good. I know, how is it possible Lil' Debbie has gone to cheaper ingredients when they were so cheap. I get feeling someone bought the company or gained majority status or Lil' Debbie hooked up with some evil business consultant who suggested a whole new way to do business. Man I miss them Banana Twins!

Anyways as usual I digress, Food Lion has this in house line of products called My Essentials and they have these Honey Buns that are too die for at $1.00 a box. Taste better than Lil' Debbie's honey buns and cost .79 cents less. On the other hand, the My Essentials version of ho's ho's don't taste very good. Hey I'm on a fixed income, you look for little victories wherever you can these days. Also the My Eseentials chili is pretty darn good at a dollar a can. Tastes a lot like Hormel chili did 15 years ago before they changed the ingredients. Man I loved that Hormel chili on a cold winter's day and slopped up the left over sauce in the bowl with a slice of od time Wonder bread.

Hey I'm middle aged, long time divorced probably was my bad temper ah youth, no physicality at all, no kids and grew up and live in Fairfax County or as its otherwise known today as ASShole Central ( did live down South for about 15+ years, old times there are not forgotten. I long to return to that far simpler country life but can you say "underwater" kids) I got tired of going to bars to try and watch sports with all the creepy young ladies working in them joints these days. Plus the overpriced shitty food and watered down beer didn't help matters none neither. No it wasn't so creepy 25+ years ago or maybe I was all so older then. So I listen to my cd's, old skool, and watch my dvd's and read Charles Dickens. Frankly, I think America is going thru the worst of times right this very minute imo

Posted by: Lance o Lot ()
Date: May 06, 2013 09:41AM

I lived accross the street in Stonecroft for years and still shopped Food Lion after moving to Centreville. Then they became Bloom.

I remember telling the store manager that they were committing corporate suicide in the same manner as Kmart and Sears: They were dumping their blue collar base and trying to chase the Whole Foods clientel; people who would never walk into Food Lion to begin with. He assured me that their prices would stay low and that there would only be additions to their product line.

Then everything changed. The price of a case of beer shot up $3, the 8-piece fried chicken doubled in price, and many of the low-brow products disappeared and were replace by an entire "organic" section. Oh, yeah... The Yuppie crowd never showed up.

Disgusted by the middle finger Food Lion had given me, I never looked back when Wal Mart opened their grocery section. I wish them a speedy trip on their way to the great list of defunct retailers.

Posted by: LKatz ()
Date: May 18, 2013 11:04PM

I miss the Food Lion for its convenience... quick in and out when you just need a few things... need a Trader Joe's! That would do great- hate driving all the way to Centrewville or Reston for TJs. Would do fine vs. Wegman's and Whole Foods. Giant is depressing.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:23PM

LKatz - There's a TJs in Fairfax City.

Posted by: Meat dude ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:21AM

Now where will I get spoiled meat? This sucks.

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: May 21, 2013 09:17AM

May 21, 2013

TOPIC:Food Lion Fair Lakes Closing

Anyone know who is the owner of this Fair Lake Shopping Mall. I gotta search this out but it would be valuable to know if there is a locally based REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) or a REIT located elsewhere in USA who owns this one currently.

Yea, people who live nearby this shopping mall sooner or later will get tired of going to WalMart for all their grocery needs.

You can be sure that Trader Joe's will never open at Fair Lake, it's simply not a good fit to what I know about Trader Joe's.

But there may be other options that can compliment and compete as well with Wall Mar Grocery Store. Target does not have grocery, but has done well by opening near WalMart Stores all over the nation, with an effective competitive straegy in non-grocery stuff.

Here is a photo I just found of the Food Lion. Is this store now closed ?

Cafe Twin
Attachments:
FAIR LAKES Food_Lion_store_to_close0_1358552902.jpg

Posted by: JK ()
Date: May 22, 2013 02:03AM

waldenthreenet Wrote:
> May 21, 2013
>
> TOPIC:Food Lion Fair Lakes Closing
>
> Anyone know who is the owner of this Fair Lake
> Shopping Mall. I gotta search this out but it
> would be valuable to know if there is a locally
> based REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) or a
> REIT located elsewhere in USA who owns this one
> currently.
>
> Yea, people who live nearby this shopping mall
> sooner or later will get tired of going to WalMart
> for all their grocery needs.
>
> You can be sure that Trader Joe's will never open
> at Fair Lake, it's simply not a good fit to what I
> know about Trader Joe's.
>
>
> But there may be other options that can compliment
> and compete as well with Wall Mar Grocery Store.
> Target does not have grocery, but has done well by
> opening near WalMart Stores all over the nation,
> with an effective competitive straegy in
> non-grocery stuff.
>
>
> Here is a photo I just found of the Food Lion. Is
> this store now closed ?
>
>
> Cafe Twin

Peterson Companies

Posted by: see ya never ()
Date: May 23, 2013 09:10AM

Food Lion sucks. Good riddance.

Posted by: Miker2 ()
Date: May 23, 2013 03:38PM

I have lived in the Fair Lakes area for 8+ years and never even realized there was a Food Lion there. This might have something to do with why it closed.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.