HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax City Passes Affordable Housing Amendment to Comprehensive Plan
Posted by: Tax and Spend ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:35AM

City Passes Affordable Housing Amendment to Comprehensive Plan

City makes it formally known that increasing availability of affordable housing is a priority.
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/city-passes-affordable-housing-amendment-to-comprehensive-plan

The City of Fairfax has taken a clear step toward attempting to increase the availability of affordable housing within its borders.

At its most recent meeting, the City Council unanimously passed an amendment to the City's Comprehensive Plan that makes it clear that having a mix of different housing types to match many different ages and economic statuses is a priority.

The challenge in making this happen was finding the right balance between encouraging that more developers offer affordable housing within their proposed city projects, while also not scaring developers away.

After debating and revising the language a few times, City staff, members of the City-appointed housing affordability work group, and the Mayor and City Council unanimously passed an amendment to the City's Comprehensive Plan last week.

The amendment adds language to the Comprehensive Plan that shows that affordable housing is a priority and offers incentives to developers that offer it, while also staying generic enough that they hope developers won't feel trapped into offering anything specific that may cause them to hesitate before applying to build in the city.

In working on the proposed amendment, City Council members were provided with some facts about city housing to help put things in perspective. Statistics show that the area median income (AMI) for Fairfax City is around $111,000 per year, which should mean that the majority of residents can reasonably afford the average owner-occupied property. However, there are still a percentage of residents that don't even quite make 50 percent of AMI. And, in recent years, housing prices have been steadily increasing in Fairfax City.

Therefore, the proposed added language to the Comprehensive Plan spells out that the City recognizes the need for a broad mix of housing types that are desirable and affordable to several income groups, and that they strongly encourage developers to offer provisions as such, including potentially agreeing to set aside units for residents who make less than the AMI.

The amendment also suggests that the City is open to other options that increase the availability of affordable housing, such as monitoring and maintaining existing affordable housing stock, continuing to look out for new affordable housing opportunities, potentially forming a housing trust fund, and crafting an official affordable housing strategy.

A handful of audience members spoke during the public hearing at the City Council meeting last week, applauding the City's efforts to make progress on this issue and expressing the desire to see the Council pass the amendment.

Rachel Gregory, who lives in the existing Layton Hall apartments—that were recently approved for redevelopment, at a loss of roughly 100 affordable housing units—said she sees firsthand on a regular basis how the difficulty in finding affordable housing affects a lot of people such as her neighbors, co-workers and fellow church-goers.

"What you’re doing here tonight, in changing the Comprehensive Plan, is just a first step. It’s a statement of purpose," she said. "You’re saying to people like me, we matter. Our community is your community too."

She said the City's efforts have not gone unnoticed, particularly in a time of political turmoil in the country, and said she thought the passing of the amendment would go a long way in restoring some people's faith in government.

"I want to be able to go back to my co-workers, to my building, and to my church, and say, politics worked for once," she added. "That a group of politicians with very different viewpoints got together and made a choice."

Rev. Scott Sammler-Michael of the nonprofit group VOICE, which is a multi-congregational group that helps advocate for affordable housing in the region, said they knocked on 150 doors recently to ask locals how challenges of housing affordability affect them.

Rev. Sammler-Michael said after doing so, the need is even more apparent to their group, as they talked to business owners who say they have a tough time holding on to employees in some of their lower-wage positions; seniors who want to age in place; and other lower-income workers.

Literature distributed by VOICE indicates that, according to their calculations, there are more than 1,300 families in Fairfax City who make less than $50,000 per year, yet there are currently only around 400 "affordable" housing units in the city—and after redevelopment projects currently in the works are completed, that number of units will only be around 200.

One example Rev. Sammler-Michael gave as he addressed the Council was of a woman who works as a supervisor of more than 300 employees at the Fairfax Nursing Center, yet makes only $45,000 per year, and therefore has a hard time being able to afford to live near where she works.

"She could not even qualify for the supposed 'affordable housing' that developers like [the one who will be redeveloping Layton Hall] so generously set aside at 60-percent AMI," he said.

"We all want to see Fairfax remain a place for people of all ages, incomes, backgrounds, and [economic status]," he continued. "So we applaud your courage here tonight and your diligence on the issue."

Rev. Sammler-Michael took a moment to praise how accessible and open to input and ideas he said the City has been throughout the process of working on the proposed amendment and broader challenge of affordable housing.

After tinkering with a bit of the language the Council, in the end, passed the proposed amendment unanimously, with a vote of 6-0.

Many of the councilmembers touched upon the fact that their work did not end there, and pledged to continue to work on additional strategies to increase the availability of a broad mix of housing types and price levels in the city.

"Setting aside units in a new development is just one tool in the tool kit," said Councilmember Michael DeMarco. "In my mind, it alone is not going to solve the broader affordability issue."

"I don’t think the issue of affordable housing, or even economic development in general, is an issue that can be quote-unquote ‘solved,'" said Councilmember David Meyer. "It’s a challenge, and we can either manage it well, or we can manage it poorly. I believe making these changes to the plan will be one important step as we move into the future."

Councilmember Ellie Schmidt agreed.

"We still have a lot of work to do. This doesn’t end tonight, and we’ve talked about that," she said. "And I think it’s important, as we move forward in the process, that we solicit input from a lot of stakeholders."

Councilmembers Steve Stombres and Dan Drummond touched upon the need to be as flexible as possible so as to continue to attract developers to the city, while also setting access to affordable housing as a priority.

"We want to strike that balance between that critical need to provide for affordable housing in the city, and the very real desire to encourage and provide incentive for developers to continue to invest in the City of Fairfax. And I think that’s a balance we can achieve," Stombres said.

"I want a policy that shows that we do care about the people. We’re talking about families and real people that live here, and their lives. People that are just trying to make ends meet and have a job and get their kids educated. And that’s not lost on me," Stombres added. "But it’s a process that has to be fair for everybody. That’s what I hope this project will be."

"We’re trying to find an overarching, broad goal; we’re not getting into the nitty-gritty of specifics," Drummond said. "It’s a framework that’s broad and offers flexibility."

One man who represents one of the city's biggest landowners, Combined Properties, did come to address the Council during the meeting—and he praised the amendment, to the delight of Mayor Scott Silverthorne, who had been told by City staff that several had spoken out against it in a recent Planning Commission meeting, calling it too strict.

The man from Combined Properties said it would only benefit his company's centers throughout the city if the city continued to flourish and attract people of all different income levels and professions, who want a variety of different types of housing.

"We have a deep and vested interest in seeing the city continue to grow and thrive. If the city thrives, our centers thrive. If the city dwindles, our centers dwindle," he said. "So I am here to speak in favor of this amendment."

The Council and City staff agreed that one of the next steps it should take would be to invite back developers that have spoken out against the amendment and encourage them to be a part of the process moving forward, in identifying strategies that work to the benefit of all.

The Fairfax City Council passed an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan that emphasizes a desire for more affordable housing in the city during its Nov. 12 meeting.
Attachments:
3d5550992ef0fa135217e6be087eb1f.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax City Passes Affordable Housing Amendment to Comprehensive Plan
Posted by: dstewart1 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:47AM

A great example of how government, and civic groups like VOICE, can be a force for bringing different interests together to address a major systemic issue. This is just a beginning, but a good start. Kudos to the Mayor and Council, and to Patch for the detailed, intelligent coverage.

Posted by: RT2013 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:48AM

"One example Rev. Sammler-Michael gave as he addressed the Council was of a woman who works as a supervisor of more than 300 employees at the Fairfax Nursing Center, yet makes only $45,000 per year, and therefore has a hard time being able to afford to live near where she works." Three hundred employees and she makes $45K per year? I'd be looking for another job.

Posted by: Joyadevandersloot ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:57AM

RT is right.
I know two of the management staff, and they both make well over $45K. By about another zero...

Oh, and the Right Rev. Preacher SammlerMichael - "We all want to see Fairfax remain a place for people of all ages, incomes, backgrounds, and [economic status]" - There's no such place. Ever.

When I see these mouthbreathing idiots actually living next to the bottom feeders, I'll listen. Wealthy politicos and their acolytes who desire to control the rest of us, not so much.

Posted by: Low price, high crime ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:58AM

RT2013 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "One example Rev. Sammler-Michael gave as he
> addressed the Council was of a woman who works as
> a supervisor of more than 300 employees at the
> Fairfax Nursing Center, yet makes only $45,000 per
> year, and therefore has a hard time being able to
> afford to live near where she works." Three
> hundred employees and she makes $45K per year? I'd
> be looking for another job.

Decent people with a job are definitely NOT going to want to live in these "affordable" shitholes. In this county they'll be full of nothing but illegal immigrants and other assorted bottom-dwellers.

Posted by: Reading is FUNdamental ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:02PM

"there are more than 1,300 families in Fairfax City who make less than $50,000 per year, yet there are currently only around 400 "affordable" housing units in the city"

So do 3.25 "families" live in each of those 400 units, or is this just more made up bull$hit by "activists" who toss out crap and then yell "racist" at anyone who questions their bull$hit?

I call bull$hit.

Date: November 19, 2013 12:04PM

Decent people with a job are definitely NOT going to want to live in these "affordable" shitholes. In this county they'll be full of nothing but Gerry and Sharon's kids.

FIFY

Posted by: So much butt hurt ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:11PM

Reading is FUNdamental Wrote:
> Decent people with a job are definitely NOT going
> to want to live in these "affordable" shitholes.
> In this county they'll be full of nothing but
> Gerry and Sharon's kids.
>
> FIFY

080.jpgkeep-calm-and-go-move-on-5.png

We won't miss you

Posted by: Moar numbnutz ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:13PM

"And, in recent years, housing prices have been steadily increasing in Fairfax City"

FC zip codes mean selling price April 1, 2005 $523K
FC zip codes mean selling price April 1, 2013 $462K

Zillow Home Value Index Fairfax, VA

http://www.zillow.com/local-info/VA-Fairfax-home-value/r_4655/#metric=mt%3D34%26dt%3D1%26tp%3D6%26rt%3D8%26r%3D4655%252C53279%252C245345%26el%3D0

Date: November 19, 2013 12:14PM

I learned to resize images back in the early 90's. G2, not so much 20 years later.

Posted by: derrrr ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:27PM

Reading is FUNdamental Wrote:
> I learned to resize images back in the early 90's.
> G2, not so much 20 years later.

I'm actually a web developer; so I am fully aware of CSS styling. Why in gods name would I want it to be less blaring and annoying to you though dumb shit

Shall i put it in a style attribute or directly adjust the height?

Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg
Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpgWhy-are-you-so-dumb.jpgWhy-are-you-so-dumb.jpgWhy-are-you-so-dumb.jpgWhy-are-you-so-dumb.jpgWhy-are-you-so-dumb.jpgWhy-are-you-so-dumb.jpgWhy-are-you-so-dumb.jpg

Bye!

Bitch

Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg

Posted by: BeckyS ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:27PM

A "housing trust fund"? Where would these funds come from? Taxpayers? This is ridiculous. Whatever happened to saving your own money and planning for the future? Or is that just too "old-fashioned" in this microwave world of instant gratification that we apparently now live in?

Posted by: Thanks for my new barrio! ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:53PM

Si, se puede! Gracias for voting to increase my illegal presence in Fairfax City, hombres! Too bad the mayor and city council members won't live near wherever they build my new barrio, though.

They won't get the direct benefit of my "culture" of public intoxication and loud musica, but eventually my people will help the school system reputation to slip and the violent crime statistics to rise, causing even their (Mayor Whiteguilt and his ideologues in city council) property values to decrease. Viva! Viva!

Muchas gracias for your short-sighted idealism, Senor Mayor! Good thing you've seen so many shows about inequality in America on your television. If you'd ever spent any real time in other government-directed, low-income housing areas (ever hear of The Projects?), you'd know that you just voted to build a ghetto in your own neighborhood.

Until then, I'm going to keep a low profile and wear the mask of the honest laborer, struggling to earn a living in this oppressive country. Once I move my family of 13 (including my pedophile cousin) into the new apartment, I can relax and crack open a 12-pack of cervezas and let my true colors show. I can't wait to make this the new Prince William County, hombres!

Posted by: Huh?Really? ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:59PM

Oh, looky - someone claims to know what a cascading style sheet is! Wowzer.

Annoying, though? Inigo Montoya > you.

Hah.

Posted by: So Sorry ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:02PM

"I'm actually a web developer"

- you lost your job to Deepak Jodupar & friends.

Posted by: twat was that? ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:19PM

So Sorry Wrote:
> "I'm actually a web developer"
>
> - you lost your job to Deepak Jodupar & friends.

Yea, because everyone goes to India for web design. You're a fuckin moron, the leading country for enterprise sites is Norway and Denmark first of all... you know... after the US who has nearly double the design industry than both of those combined.

Fuckin twat.

Posted by: 1 isn't the same as 2 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:13PM

" the leading country for enterprise sites is Norway and Denmark"

Which, of course, are two different "country", numbnutz.

Must be a "web designer" for Obummercare.gov

Posted by: Joyadevandersloot ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:24PM

You know what's really funny? G2 can't say anything in support of the City BS, so has to deflect as best as it's little head will let it.

Posted by: style.css ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:35PM

derrrr Wrote:
> Reading is FUNdamental Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I learned to resize images back in the early
> 90's.
> > G2, not so much 20 years later.
>
>
> I'm actually a web developer; so I am fully aware
> of CSS styling. Why in gods name would I want it
> to be less blaring and annoying to you though dumb
> shit
>
> Shall i put it in a style attribute or directly
> adjust the height?
>
> src="http://images.wikia.com/cardfight/images/c/c3
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" width="2000">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="clear:both;
> width:10px;">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:20px;">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:30px;">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:50px;">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:100px;">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:200px;
> font-size:100px;">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:400px;">
>
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:800px;">
>
>

Bitch

src="http://images.wikia.com/cardfight/images/c/c3
> /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:100px;

Wow you know css! Impressive! I know Brainfuck.

Posted by: Palpable Irony ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:40PM

style.css Wrote:
> derrrr Wrote:
> -----
> > Reading is FUNdamental Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I learned to resize images back in the early
> > 90's.
> > > G2, not so much 20 years later.
> >
> >
> > I'm actually a web developer; so I am fully
> aware
> > of CSS styling. Why in gods name would I want
> it
> > to be less blaring and annoying to you though
> dumb
> > shit
> >
> > Shall i put it in a style attribute or directly
> > adjust the height?
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" width="2000">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="clear:both;
> > width:10px;">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:20px;">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:30px;">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:50px;">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:100px;">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:200px;
> > font-size:100px;">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:400px;">
> >
> > >
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:800px;">
> >
> >

Bitch

>
>
> > /Why-are-you-so-dumb.jpg" style="width:100px;
>
> Wow you know css! Impressive! I know Brainfuck.

I know JS, MySQL, PHP5, and RoR as well if you prefer

Posted by: Fun with styling ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:41PM

Posted by: Good night good sir ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:41PM

You so funny!

Posted by: you indian fuck ()
Date: November 19, 2013 04:06PM

"I know JS (yawn), MySQL(yawn), PHP5(yawn), and RoR (LOL, yawn) as well if you pref"

Too bad you can't speak English properly.

Not impressed.

Posted by: Grammar Police gonna getcha ()
Date: November 19, 2013 04:15PM

you indian fuck Wrote:
> "I know JS (yawn), MySQL(yawn), PHP5(yawn), and
> RoR (LOL, yawn) as well if you pref"
>
> Too bad you can't speak English properly.
>
> Not impressed.

I can't speak english? I'm from here you dipshit. Sorry if my literary skills on this trash hole of a forum don't meet your standards.

a5d656c5dcb65720448663a6f3cc4beded6f8df6

I'm glad you have descended into a review of my grammar as your only remaining rebuttal. Game:Set:fuckoff

Posted by: you haji haji h1 b motherfucker ()
Date: November 19, 2013 04:20PM

Grammar Police gonna getcha Wrote:
> you indian fuck Wrote:
> -----
> > "I know JS (yawn), MySQL(yawn), PHP5(yawn), and
> > RoR (LOL, yawn) as well if you pref"
> >
> > Too bad you can't speak English properly.
> >
> > Not impressed.
>
>
> I can't speak english? I'm from here you dipshit.
> Sorry if my literary skills on this trash hole of
> a forum don't meet your standards.
>
> src="http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a5/a5d656c5dcb65
> 720448663a6f3cc4beded6f8df6337ac1cad23bb70e7d41d41
> b.jpg">
>

> I'm glad you have descended into a review of my
> grammar as your only remaining rebuttal.
> Game:Set:fuckoff

No, your grammar is fine.

Now when you open your mouth... that's a different story.

pic unrelated

prakash+%25288%2529.jpg

Posted by: Interviewing? ()
Date: November 19, 2013 04:26PM

Is this a job interview?

fun-meme_thumb.jpg

Posted by: Awww whats wrong ()
Date: November 19, 2013 04:27PM

Still not understanding the picture unrelated there good buddy

Posted by: Mo Free Barry ()
Date: November 19, 2013 05:22PM

Is it possible I can claim all the lazy bums in the country as dependents now that I am now buying them homes in addition to medical care, obamaphones, food and clothing. What a fucking country.

Posted by: #1 ()
Date: November 20, 2013 06:13AM

Mo Free Barry Wrote:
> Is it possible I can claim all the lazy bums in
> the country as dependents now that I am now buying
> them homes in addition to medical care,
> obamaphones, food and clothing. What a fucking
> country.

LOL

Posted by: sucking the gov ()
Date: November 20, 2013 11:20AM

Like I moved to Fairfax Co for affordable housing......

Posted by: Concerned Taxpayer ()
Date: November 21, 2013 07:23AM

City elections are coming up in May. Could this be political posturing? As the previous commenter stated -- it might make more sense for the person making $45K and supervising 300 people to seek another job rather than expect an affordable housing unit to be built down the street. Also, perhaps studio/efficiency apartments should be considered. Many people (old, young, and in-between) who live alone are seeking these -- they don't want or need 2 - 3 bedrooms. Although they may not want the extra space in their apartment, they do want amenities such as front desk security, stylish units, fitness centers, etc.

Posted by: sucking the gov ()
Date: November 21, 2013 08:39AM

Spend what you have, NOT what you wish you had. And pull your weight in society instead of sopping off the taxpayers to pay your way through life. If you can't afford Fairfax county, then go somewhere else cheaper, and let us have our county back. Quit whining about how we don't do enough for you because you chose to come to a place you can't afford.

Posted by: Numbledenutz ()
Date: November 21, 2013 09:43AM

It's not Fairfax COUNTY, it's the bunghole of the county, otherwise known as Fairfax CITY.

Sigh.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.