HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Marshall High School football coach to resign?
Posted by: Marshall Student ()
Date: November 14, 2013 03:57PM

I told my History teacher aka the Football coach that his a great History teacher, but he should resign as a football coach. Does anyone know if he resigned after his 0-10 season for two years in a row.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marshall High School football coach to resign?
Posted by: Shrevewood Weenies ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:37PM

Don't blame the coach, no one could win there. No talent.

Posted by: The man ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:51PM

Nice try. He's a math teacher. And a good coach with lousy talent, lousy support and a clueless AD.

Posted by: nextyear ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:04PM

have you seen their freshman team, though? did much better than most marshall teams in the past

Posted by: yeah but ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:33PM

Everyone said Falls Church could never win with the talent they have either. FC will probably come back down to earth next year but they have about the same talent base as Marshall and at least they managed to pull off a decent season this year. If you're coaching a consistent 0-10 or 1-9 program year after year then you should probably do the school a favor and resign.

Posted by: sullivanshouldgo ()
Date: November 26, 2013 03:18PM

Spot on, yeah but. The situation requires a new head coach and a new direction but will more than likely get neither.

“We have a great administration that supports us,” Sullivan said. “The wins will take care of themselves as long as we play as a team.”

Apparently, the wins aren't taking care of themselves.

Posted by: sullivanshouldgo ()
Date: November 26, 2013 03:26PM

Wow, "the man" you're calling Joe Swarm a clueless AD? He ran circles around Sullivan's clueless playing career at Marshall and is an inductee into the GCM Athletic Hall of Fame. Funny, I don't see Greg Sullivan's name there, that's because he was an average player at best and, from the records in his coaching tenure at Marshall, not a very good coach.

Posted by: The man ()
Date: November 26, 2013 07:23PM

A good athletic career does not an AD make. Trust me, he's a bad AD. Lots of talk in the region and amongst coaches at Marshall and elsewhere that's he's not good.

opinions are not fact
Posted by: hammerhead10 ()
Date: November 27, 2013 10:39AM

Yeah? Who is "lots of talk?" It's not the SAD's fault that Marshall has a less than stellar head football coach. Sullivan is doing the coaching, or, that's what he is supposed to be doing and the records on his watch indicate that he's not doing a very good job. Last time I checked, W-L record is still a performance metric for head football coaches. My question for Swarm is, why haven't you replaced him yet?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2013 10:45AM by hammerhead10.

Posted by: critic ()
Date: December 29, 2013 04:43PM

There's a reason why some teams pull off a decent season year after year without any top talent on the field - it's called good coaching. Not just from the head coach, who gets blamed for poor performance, but the assistants as well.
And also a reason why some teams are perennial losers no matter what talent they may have - that's called bad coaching.

I agree that this years team (2013) was pretty much void of talent, but we did have some talent on the field over the past few years before that and we were still losers!
That was not only under Sullivan but the coach before that as well.
A big problem here is that Marshall coaches don't know who the players are!
You have receivers who can't catch and quarterbacks who can't throw so that eliminates the ability to run a passing game. I mean this is football not rugby!
Plus personally I don't think that the coaches have the expertise to install a passing game.
And as far as the running game goes, it is really frustrating to see them run the same tired plays over and over without results. They just keep banging their head against the wall and refuse to change anything and look for something that does work with the team they have on the field now.
I've heard them speak of their plays and how well they worked in some other example situation.
Unfortunately these "great plays" just don't seem to work in the current situation, which is the only situation that counts!

Should Sullivan resign?
Well it's obvious he's not a very good coach and doesn't have a relationship with the players.
But who would they then hire?
And who is it that is doing the hiring?
It was the AD who hired Sullivan!
Why?
Because he was a Marshall alumni?

I don't believe we have the administration at Marshall who has the knowledge on how to hire a top football coach.
And we are not going to ever do anything without a good coach who can then build his assistants who can then build a football program.

And whether or not a person was a good player back in the day doesn't have anything to do with coaching ability - and vice versa.

Posted by: Reality Checker ()
Date: December 29, 2013 05:52PM

Only good coach at Marshall is Dan Hale and he'll probably leave once his kid graduates. It's not really a school where kids go to play football or other sports. I think they fix cars on cinder blocks on weekends and get into fights with kids from Madison with more money.

Posted by: insider ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:24AM

Ya know, you don't need to have a school that kids go to to play football in order to have a decent football program.

This article is not about producing future nfl candidates, but about being able to compete in our own neighborhood.

Marshalls school rankings are exaggerated, but still good, but we are not the best academically in the area.

But we are the worst by far in football!

Why are other schools who have really good academic ratings, some better than us, so much better than us in football?

Parents don't send their kids to those schools just to play football either!

Date: December 30, 2013 11:32AM

Here is a listing of high school academic rankings.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/virginia/rankings?int=c0b4c1

Marshall is #16!

Look at the schools ahead of us on the list.
You hear of them all the time in football playoffs.

Getting a good education is not the antithesis of playing football!

Date: December 31, 2013 09:36PM

Coach Sullivan has resigned as Marshall's football coach.

So will we now be able to get a great coach?

Whoever hired the last two coaches (4 - 50 between the 2 of them) needs to let someone else start making this decision!
Is that you AD?

Date: January 01, 2014 06:52AM

My mistake - they are 4-46 between the 2 of them.

Lapthorn : 4-30

Sullivan : 0-20

Date: January 01, 2014 07:20AM

dang it!

That's 4-26 for Lapthorn!

I'm just as bad at this as Marshall's coaches are at football!

Posted by: blueman ()
Date: January 03, 2014 09:30AM

OK so Sullivan is gone I guess.
That's a good first step to building a football program.
But it was supposed to be a good first step towards building the program when Sullivan was hired.

The community of people interested really need to start letting the AD know how dissatisfied we are by his decisions in this.
He hired Lapthorn (Sullivans predecessor) who was an assistant coach at Marshall.
He produced a record of 4-26 during his 3 year stint as head coach.
Then Sullivan produces a record of 0-20.
And if you look into it Sullivan does not have the winning history that was advertised to us.
He had less than average results over his 3 years at TC Williams and was only an assistant at McLean when they had that one good year.
The AD needs to stop hiring based on either a friendship or that they went to school at Marshall.

A lot of people say the problem is because there aren't any athletes at Marshall.
I disagree!
PART of the problem is that we have good athletes who don't go out for football, but we have the same type of kids that are at the other local schools.

The lack of participation could be rectified by the right coach. Someone that the kids could look up to and trust. And that the community could feel confident in and support.
That is the first step!
Not the only step, but the first.

Posted by: blueman ()
Date: January 13, 2014 07:47AM

Posted by: hh ()
Date: June 29, 2014 11:08PM

his asst coach at Mount Vernon high school

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.