HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pos. of Marijuana Charge/ First offense...worth getting a lawyer?
Posted by: AR ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:38PM

I got pulled over and the officer smelt pot. I told him I had it, he didnt put me in cuffs and just gave me a citation. He said I was very honest and he appreciated that. Tomorrow is my court date and I'm really worried about 1. my record and 2. my license. I'm a full time college student and employee. I cannot let this get on my record and I'll loose both if I lose my license. Should I get a lawyer, it's going to cost me at least $1000. Is it worth it?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pos. of Marijuana Charge/ First offense...worth getting a lawyer?
Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:45PM

No reason to consider getting a lawyer till the afternoon before your court date.

Posted by: Judge_Crater ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:48PM

I agree with JW. In fact, you should probably just skip the court date. The officer will tell the court how honest you are and how much he appreciates you. The judge will then most likely dismiss the charges. I wouldn't worry.

Date: January 19, 2011 02:49PM

I knowww, I found one will to take it on though. I just am hesitant to spend the money. I feel like I'm going to get the same outcome no matter what.

Date: January 19, 2011 02:50PM

And if you're going to be a dick, do it elsewhere please. k thanks.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:57PM

OK, let's assume your story is actually true and that you're not some troll.

Why in God's name are you posting here, today? You should be meeting with your attorney right now, writing a check for $1000 and planning your defense. Do not be cheap with your life. You can search for bargains when it's time to buy a new washing machine, and you can haggle over used cars.

But, from what you've said, you will potentially lose your job and your education opportunity. Either alone will surely cost you more than $1K in the long run.

Get thee to a lawyer! Now!

Posted by: k thanks ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:59PM

hey gurrlfreend,

just go to the big courthouse dress like a diva!

just do not forget to bring some extra K-Y. just tell them you go to a college like nova, you a good citizen amd that once you get home that you will spark a big fat long white doobie.

also "k thanks" is special for flamboyant gurrls!

later,

Raffie

Posted by: i 1 2 ½ 6 ()
Date: January 19, 2011 03:15PM

you live in fairfax county and probably wipe your ass with $1k so just spend it. if you win, you win. if you lose, you still have plenty of thousands from mom and dad..it will be okay.

Posted by: BeenThere ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:47PM

I have been charged twice, and used lawyers both time. They were both misdemeanors (under 1/2 ounce) . First one was under 18, and with a lawyer, I got 6 months suspended license, one year probation (this was mostly unsupervised), and had to complete the SAFE/ASAP program (waste of money and time). Kind of assy, but when it was all said and done, the charges were dropped, instead of having to do all this with a conviction as well.

The second time, I was over 18 and used a different (better) lawyer. I was pulled over because a neighbor called in 'suspicious activity' and gave description of my car. When I was pulled over, they searched and found. I paid $1500 for the lawyer (who was giving me a break because I was a referral from a decent sized case of his) and the charges were dropped completely (on grounds of illegal search, because the cops had not SEEN me doing anything illegal and had no reason to pull me over, nonetheless search).

So, you never really know - depending on your lawyer, or your judge. But anytime you can lessen the damages of a charge, you should probably spend the money to do so. If you are a student and/or have a job, you can likely apply for a restricted license so you can atleast go to/from school/work. You'll have to keep a copy of your class/work schedule in your car incase you are pulled over. Good luck - and quit smoking in your car.

Posted by: your neighbor ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:51PM

The next time they will break it off in you, I only called because I was concerned.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 20, 2011 05:37AM

First time charge with a lawyer, and you could actually have the charges dismissed (Delayed disposition)! I hope you actually show up with a decent lawyer.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:34AM

BeenThere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been charged twice, and used lawyers both
> time. They were both misdemeanors (under 1/2
> ounce) . First one was under 18, and with a
> lawyer, I got 6 months suspended license, one year
> probation (this was mostly unsupervised), and had
> to complete the SAFE/ASAP program (waste of money
> and time). Kind of assy, but when it was all said
> and done, the charges were dropped, instead of
> having to do all this with a conviction as well.
>
> The second time, I was over 18 and used a
> different (better) lawyer. I was pulled over
> because a neighbor called in 'suspicious activity'
> and gave description of my car. When I was pulled
> over, they searched and found. I paid $1500 for
> the lawyer (who was giving me a break because I
> was a referral from a decent sized case of his)
> and the charges were dropped completely (on
> grounds of illegal search, because the cops had
> not SEEN me doing anything illegal and had no
> reason to pull me over, nonetheless search).

Don't assume that the second one was a better lawyer simply because he/she got a better result. The first time you were in the juvenile system and when dealing with minor crimes most of the judges there are going to assume they are there to look out for your welfare. If you go in front of them, guns blazing spouting the law, they will assume that you are some snot nosed delinquent who needs to be put into his place. Quite often it is simply better to take the position that your simply a good kid who did something dumb and take some minor lumps. The second time you were in a different system with different procedures and consequences. It could be that each of your lawyers did the best thing for you based on the court that you were in that time around.

Posted by: Ryno78 ()
Date: January 26, 2011 04:02PM

Go to a physician and have them write you a note and plead medical necessity in court

Posted by: ShouldaWouldaCoulda ()
Date: January 26, 2011 04:36PM

A policeman praising your honesty is his way of telling you that your a dumbass that made his job really fucking easy. Police are NEVER on your side in such situations. He wouldn't have put you in cuffs even if you lied about it and then he found it.

Anyway, if he smelt it, he has probable cause. You shoulda smoked a cigarette right after toking up, whether you smoke ciggs or not because it masks the smell.

No point really in getting a lawyer now. If he had searched your car after yo told him u didnt have any and found some under the seat of somewhere not in your immediate reach, then it would be worth it because you could just say it wasn't yours and that a lot of friends had been in your car that week. Sounds BS but it works; assuming you get a good lawyer.

you CCOULDA JUST SMOKED AT HOME INSTEAD OF YOUR CAR YOU DUMB FUCK

Posted by: frank ()
Date: September 12, 2012 02:56AM

Iv got court this week in crown this is my first affence im going to coyrt for surspishion of dealing cannabis what do u think will be my sentance im also bei.g sentenced for handaling stolen stolen goods

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.