HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what if you don't pay the fine and miss the court date?
Posted by: ooops ()
Date: August 06, 2012 05:58PM

Got a summons for an expired vehicle registration sticker. Thought about contesting it so put off payment of the fine. I decided not to contest it, but didn't realize I had to pay by 3:30pm on the day before the court date. Now I can't prepay. So my question is, is it worth showing up to court just to say I plead guilty? In other words, what kind of late fee tacked on to the fine or other penalty might I expect by not showing up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what if you don't pay the fine and miss the court date?
Date: August 06, 2012 06:00PM

To be clear, the court date is tomorrow, but it is no 6pm so I can no longer prepay but would rather not have to appear in court tomorrow.

Posted by: my review ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:05PM

They will give you 15 days to pay the new fine, court costs included or they suspend your license and you have to pay the ticket AND $145 in DMV fees to get your license back.

So go ahead and pay it- you can still pay online even after the court date w/ a credit card thru courts.state.va.us, they just add like 4% to the final bill for processing fees online.

Posted by: KristaD ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:16PM

I forgot to pay a following too close ticket. It went from $95 to almost $400. They send you a notice and give you 12 days to pay. If you don't, they suspend your license.

Posted by: captainobvious ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:23PM

If you renewed your registration, show up and tell the judge you did and you probably won't have to pay anything at all.

Date: August 06, 2012 06:29PM

>If you renewed your registration, show up and tell the judge you did and you probably won't have to pay anything at all.

That sounds too lenient. If that was the case it would almost encourage people to not bother updating their registration, unless they got caught. But I guess I'll find out. I'm not going to pay several hundred dollars in a missed court date fine if what KristaD says is accurate.

Posted by: JenK ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:39PM

Ahh, but that's the thing, if it was expired for a month or two and you took care of it before the court date they see it as you fixed the problem, understood, etc.

If it was expired for 2 years and you renew it just because you finally got a ticket, they may still make you pay the ticket. But they will drop alot of simple tickets like that if you took care of the problem, same with dead inspection, if it was recently expired and fixed before court, it's usually dropped.

Posted by: becauseisaidso ()
Date: August 06, 2012 09:09PM

You also have the option of calling and requesting a continuance or up to 10 days to appeal

Posted by: ??????? ()
Date: August 07, 2012 03:44PM

Then you'll be in a holding cell with me tossin' your salad! I'm Lovin' It!! I'll be the one in the Allman Brothers T-shirt and pink thong... See ya'!

Posted by: Big Bob ()
Date: August 07, 2012 03:59PM

Then you better open your bum hole real wide because the big boys in the booty house are gonna make you grab your ankles.

Posted by: Just ()
Date: August 09, 2012 01:44PM

Just go to court and pay it. if anything hell drop the court fees and itll be cheaper if ur honest and say u forgot to renew/didnt notice.

Posted by: Roscoe P.Coltrane ()
Date: August 10, 2012 02:21PM

They drag your ass to jail is what happens.
And they should too for being a dumbass for:
a. Letting your registration expire
b. Not paying your fine
c. Not going to court if you were going to fight the fine
d. Asking stupid question on this forum

Life ain't like elementary school. Saying you forgot or
the dog ate your homework doesn't work.

So go pay it, take your punishment (most likely a higher fine) and move on.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 10, 2012 03:11PM

If you slip up by a few days you can probably still pay the tickets off long before the bureaucracy figures out that you even missed the due date. If you hold out longer they will likely send you dunning letters with increased penalties, and they will tie up your driver's license and car registration. Perhaps they will try to seize your income tax refund. Eventually they may get around to sending someone out after you, but even then it is more likely to be a guy in a brown shirt telling you you need to show up in court on a certain day or else, rather than a guy in a blue shirt hauling you down to the lovely Fairfax Adult Detention.

If it was the kind of ticket they would send you to jail for missing court, it is most likely the kind of ticket they wouldn't give you a prepayment option.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.