HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VA Tech -Alert Man with Gun
Posted by: AlertC ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:29AM

A person with a gun was reported on Virgina Tech’s campus Thursday morning, according to the university’s web site.

“Person with a gun reported near Dietrick,” the alert on the web site reads. “Stay Inside. Secure doors. Emergency personnel responding. Call 911 for help.”

From the university's web site. The alert was posted at 9:37 a.m. In a separate item posted at 10:08, the university’s web site reported that:

“At 9:09 a.m. three juveniles attending a camp at the university reported seeing a white male, 6 feet tall, with light brown hair outside of New Residence Hall East holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort. He was walking fast in the direction of the volleyball courts. He was wearing a blue and white striped shirt (stripes were vertical), gray shorts and brown sandals. The subject had no facial hair or glasses.”

Dietrick Hall is described as a “dining center” that also has a convenience store, bake shop and laundry facility, according to the university’s web site.

Sensitivity to campus safety and security issues has been heightened on the Blacksburg campus since a gunman killed 32 people and himself in April 2007.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VA Tech -Alert Man with Gun
Posted by: dood ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:32AM

Is this on the Falls Church campus?

Posted by: Dentured Servant ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:50AM

WTOP isn't showing anything about the Falls Church campus, is there another one in NOVA?

Posted by: VPEye ()
Date: August 04, 2011 11:02AM

Smells like a prank

At 9:09 a.m. three juveniles attending a camp at the university reported seeing a white male, 6 feet tall, with light brown hair outside of New Residence Hall East holding what may have been a handgun.

They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort. He was walking fast in the direction of the volleyball courts. He was wearing a blue and white striped shirt (stripes were vertical), gray shorts and brown sandals. The subject had no facial hair or glasses.

Officers responded immediately to the area but found no one matching the description. Police have encountered no other witnesses reporting this individual or anything suspicious. Law enforcement officers from VTPD, Blacksburg PD, Christiansburg, PD, and Montgomery County Sheriff's Office are patrolling the campus, continuing to look for the subject.

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/aug/04/23/virginia-tech-alert-person-gun-campus-ar-1217732/

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:18PM

"VA Tech -Alert Man with Gun"

Well at least he is alert. I can't imagine what would happen if he was half asleep with a gun.

Posted by: Guuny ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:22PM

Surprised none of the gun nuts have chimed in with it's his right to carry a gun.

Posted by: McGruff ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:27PM

This isn't happening in Fairfax County, but at the main campus itself. This thread is in the wrong section (should be in Off-Topic). There is already a thread opened in "Off-Topic" tracking it.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/40/641526.html

Date: August 04, 2011 12:40PM

"Surprised none of the gun nuts have chimed in with it's his right to carry a gun." That would be because the "gun nuts" know you can't carry on campus even if you open carry.

Why do you assume that someone who is passionate about guns is a nut? I like to target shoot and I like to shoot many different weapons in many different calibers. Since I know I am going to have to transport these guns to and from the places I shoot I like to know the laws that govern that type of thing and be well informed of my rights. I don't think it's right for you to pass judgement on people who enjoy different things than you.

Posted by: ConcernPoster ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:44PM

McGruff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This isn't happening in Fairfax County, but at the
> main campus itself. This thread is in the wrong
> section (should be in Off-Topic). There is already
> a thread opened in "Off-Topic" tracking it.
>
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/40/64
> 1526.html

Unfortunately many Fairfax County parents have kids that are attending soccer camps at VA Tech right, thus this is the appropriate section. Please read and know the rules of posting in the different forums. Thank you

Posted by: ConcernPoster ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:46PM

FYI - Fairfax General: Just about everything should go here. Anything of interest to Northern Virginia as a whole should be posted to this forum.

Posted by: McGruff - Update ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:52PM

That's a good enough explanation for me. So here's an update that I have that I will share here too...

I have a friend here at work that went to VA Tech, and she still gets the alerts. Per her, there have been unconfirmed additional sightings of the armed individual on the campus and that the School has repeated its message for all students to remain indoors under lockdown.

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:55PM

Guuny Wrote:
> Surprised none of the gun nuts have chimed in with
> it's his right to carry a gun.

Iw we WERE allowed to carry on campus, there would be a lot less to worry about right now. When everybody straps, idiots are far less likely to go on the offensive.

Posted by: ManTracker ()
Date: August 04, 2011 01:05PM

Does anybody know this guy? He probably attended Westfield High School?

12:44 p.m. Update

Virginia Tech Police have released this composite sketch based on reports of the person who was believed to be carrying a weapon on campus.

Police continue to investigate campus. There have been no other sightings. We ask people to remain secured indoors.

(11:51 a.m.) Update

VT Police in conjunction with four other police departments continue to search the campus for the person reportedly with a weapon. There have been no other sightings. We have no further information to report.
Attachments:
shooter.jpg

Date: August 04, 2011 01:10PM

"Does anybody know this guy? He probably attended Westfield High School?"

I know him, he's got the pure black tar from Afghanistan, much better than that crap that comes out of DC or Balitmore.

Posted by: McGruff ()
Date: August 04, 2011 01:11PM

A Quick VA Tech crime history lesson of the campus, that probably alot of you didn't know:

1) Beheading at VA Tech
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482025,00.html

and

http://www.nationalreview.com/phi-beta-cons/41125/more-information-virginia-tech-beheading#

2) Missing Virginia Tech Student's Body Found on Farm
http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/01/morgan_dana_harrington_missing.php

3) 2 Va. Tech students found slain at campground
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32592591/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/va-tech-students-found-slain-campground/

4) VA Tech Massacre 2007

Virginia Tech massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre

and

Timeline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre_timeline

Posted by: any updates ()
Date: July 15, 2012 12:00PM

Are we still on lockdown?

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: July 15, 2012 12:55PM

any updates Wrote:
> Are we still on lockdown?

Yes. For the last year, the campus has been a lockdown and no one has moved because another citizen chose to exercise their 2nd amendment right near an educational facility.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.