HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Road Sign
Posted by: NOVA Driver ()
Date: April 17, 2012 05:01PM

I've often seen the following road sign throughout Northern Virginia:

"NO TURN ON RED" <---HUGE FONT
"when pedestrians are present" <-small font

Are there places where one CAN actually make a right on red when pedestrians are present? I thought pedestrians always have the right of way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Road Sign
Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: April 17, 2012 07:01PM

I like the sign off one of the gajillion Braddock roads that reads "STOP" in standard octagonal form but right below it is a small font sign saying something like "Except if turning right".

Posted by: run me over ()
Date: April 17, 2012 07:37PM

There is nothing like that green light for a right turn that also shows the walk sign for the pedestrians.

Posted by: pedestrian ()
Date: April 18, 2012 11:20PM

Unless there is specific signange, in Virginia pedestrians cannot just walk out in front of moving vehicles even in crosswalks. The crosswalk signs clearly say they gotta wait until they get a 'walk' sign.

Posted by: ExtraPointsForStrollers ()
Date: April 19, 2012 09:23PM

Near me there are lots of green or even green arrows, with WALK signs active on that same turn. I could never figure out how that is a good idea.

Posted by: NOVA Driver ()
Date: April 20, 2012 07:27AM

ExtraPointsForStrollers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Near me there are lots of green or even green
> arrows, with WALK signs active on that same turn.
> I could never figure out how that is a good idea.

+1! There's nothing like being the first person in line to turn right at an intersection that is heavily trafficked by pedestrians and waiting for some ancient Mama-cita while all of Fairfax County is behind you honking because they can't see you're waiting for the street to clear.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: April 20, 2012 08:15AM

Pedestrians are always present somewhere. How close do they have to be before you get a ticket?

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 20, 2012 08:44AM

@ wingnut - really? C'mon now? it's called Goggle, m'man:
§ 46.2-924. Drivers to stop for pedestrians; installation of certain signs; penalty.

A. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian crossing such highway:
1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any block;
2. At any regular pedestrian crossing included in the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines of the adjacent sidewalk at the end of a block;
3. At any intersection when the driver is approaching on a highway or street where the legal maximum speed does not exceed 35 miles per hour.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A of this section, at intersections or crosswalks where the movement of traffic is being regulated by law-enforcement officers or traffic control devices, the driver shall yield according to the direction of the law-enforcement officer or device.

No pedestrian shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard of approaching traffic.

The drivers of vehicles entering, crossing, or turning at intersections shall change their course, slow down, or stop if necessary to permit pedestrians to cross such intersections safely and expeditiously.

Pedestrians crossing highways at intersections shall at all times have the right-of-way over vehicles making turns into the highways being crossed by the pedestrians.

C. The governing body of Arlington County, Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, the County of Loudoun and any town therein, and the City of Alexandria, may by ordinance provide for the installation and maintenance of highway signs at marked crosswalks specifically requiring operators of motor vehicles, at the locations where such signs are installed, to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing or attempting to cross the highway. Any operator of a motor vehicle who fails at such locations to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians as required by such signs shall be guilty of a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of no less than $100 or more than $500. The Commonwealth Transportation Board shall develop criteria for the design, location, and installation of such signs. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any limited access highway.

@NOVA - next time that happens, just put on yr emergency blinkers LoLz

@Extra - I call you out cause I've never seen that happen in my life - an arrow come on with the walk sign - I've always seen the walk sign wait until an arrow was done. Regular green, yeah they go with the walk. But I've never in my life seen the arrow and the walk sign conflict with one another - That would be like if the light was green for all directions, yo. Not something they program in them, I believe. If you can prove me wrong, do so - But I really dont think yr right about that. I remember last year talking about this - the lights at around Tysons cause I was walking around there a lot at the time and I know the lights at 123 and Old Courthouse, at 7 and International, and at International and Fletcher, those lights have arrows and you have to wait for them to change before the walk signal comes on.

@pedestrian - yep, you are VERY right. In fact it's written in stone LoLz:
§ 46.2-926. Pedestrians stepping into highway where they cannot be seen.

No pedestrian shall step into a highway open to moving vehicular traffic at any point between intersections where his presence would be obscured from the vision of drivers of approaching vehicles by a vehicle or other obstruction at the curb or side. The foregoing prohibition shall not apply to a pedestrian stepping into a highway to board a bus or to enter a safety zone, in which event he shall cross the highway only at right angles.

@everyone - and in fact, if you look up, you will see that drivers do NOT have to stop for pedestrians waiting to cross the street if the street is above 35 MPH (that means when you are in your 25 MPH neighborhoods, you should stop your FUCKING CAR when you see children standing on the side of the road obliviously waiting to cross the streets, ASSHOLES!!! - Gordon Blvd's pet peeve)

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 20, 2012 08:52AM

oh yeah - I forgot to tell you. When you see the little sign about the pedestrians under the no turn on red - what that means is:
If you look and see someone standing on one of the corners, then the light is NO TURN ON RED until they cross yr part of the street.

If you really need to ask me what about if they are not going to cross your part of the street, then you are too stupid to drive, ok?

pic unrelated
Attachments:
why you shouldnt ride in the back of a pickup..................gif

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 20, 2012 10:21AM

NOVA Driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've often seen the following road sign throughout
> Northern Virginia:
>
> "NO TURN ON RED" <---HUGE FONT
> "when pedestrians are present" <-small font
>
> Are there places where one CAN actually make a
> right on red when pedestrians are present? I
> thought pedestrians always have the right of way?

This sign is so the cops can write you a ticket for failure to obey a sign...in addition to failure to yield to a pedestrian

Posted by: Neville ()
Date: April 21, 2012 12:06AM

Not to quibble, but some may misinterpret the comment that drivers have to observe crosswalks when the speed limit is below 35mph. The 35mph and below restriction only applies to unmarked crosswalks at intersections. If a crosswalk is MARKED, and the speed limit is anything from 20 to 55 then this section applies.

"1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any block;"

For example, if there is a CLEARLY MARKED crosswalk and the speed is 45, like here on Braddock Road, then the motorist is supposed to follow the law and yield to pedestrians.

View Larger Map

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.