HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Series of "Jump Ins" in Lorton area
Posted by: McGruff - Crime Dog on the Prowl ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:56AM

Series of "Jump Ins" in Lorton area
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2012/031612seriesofcarthefts.htm

Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Va. 22030
703-246-2253. TTY 703-204-2264. Fax 703-246-4253
FCPD-PIO@fairfaxcounty.gov
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police
News Release:12/076/0013/LHC(7)
March 16, 2012

Series of “Jump Ins” in Lorton area

West Springfield Police District – Police are investigating reports of 10 cars being stolen while their owners left them running in their driveways in the Lorton area off Silverbook Road. The vehicles range in value from a 2004 Toyota Corolla, worth about $8,000 to a 2012 Acura TL, valued at around $50,000.

Police have distributed flyers and posted electronic sign boards in the area to help make the public aware of the thefts and deter thieves.

The first in the apparent series took place January 18 and the most recent was Friday, March 9. All of the crimes occurred as owners were “warming up” their vehicles between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 a.m. on weekdays (Monday through Friday).

Five of the 10 vehicles have not been recovered.

Police urge motorists not to leave their vehicles unattended while running; pay attention to their surroundings when getting into or out of their vehicles; and remember that there may be people watching their actions.

These thefts are being investigated by the FCPD Auto Theft Squad and officers from the West Springfield Police District. Despite the increase in temperatures, many motorists may still be in the routine of warming up their cars and police urge vigilance.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

###

To request this information in an alternate format, call the Public Information Office at 703.246.2253. TTY 703-204-2264

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Series of "Jump Ins" in Lorton area
Posted by: itchy ()
Date: March 17, 2012 10:33AM

I installed a lockdown feature on my SUV that can kill the engine and lockdown the vehicle with the push of 4 buttons on my phone. As long as my phone and my vehicle are within cell coverage, I can do this from anywhere in the world. My house has a similar system.

And I'm still not stupid enough to leave my vehicle running unattended.

Posted by: country person ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:02PM

itchy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I installed a lockdown feature on my SUV that can
> kill the engine and lockdown the vehicle with the
> push of 4 buttons on my phone. As long as my phone
> and my vehicle are within cell coverage, I can do
> this from anywhere in the world. My house has a
> similar system.
>
> And I'm still not stupid enough to leave my
> vehicle running unattended.

So sad that you have to live like that. I own four vehicles that range from 1999 to 2009 and they have never been locked or had the ignition keys removed.

Posted by: City Slicker ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:34PM

country person Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So sad that you have to live like that. I own four
> vehicles that range from 1999 to 2009 and they
> have never been locked or had the ignition keys
> removed.

You keep doing that. At least he's prepared if shit hits the fan. You on the other hand... well putting it bluntly, you'd be SOL.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.