HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Remember the Chesterbrook Shopping Ctr
Posted by: Remember Chesterbrook? ()
Date: October 12, 2011 01:11PM

I realize its still there, but anybody else remember when the Safeway had that cool conveyor belt thing that they'd send your groceries out thur that little window and then somebody actually loaded them in your car? I remember that as a little kid and thinking it was some cool little railroad or something. I also remember there used to be a great bakery in there and some greek restaurant. Back in those days (late 70s), we could ride bikes all over McLean/Tysons and not worry about getting molested, kidnapped, etc. Man has this area gone to the dogs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remember the Chesterbrook Shopping Ctr
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 12, 2011 01:27PM

I used to love the Chinese restaraunt over there (Sha Fen?), I think it closed about ten years ago. It was my favorite Chinese place for years, but the new place isn't as good. I used to like how they brought out hot towels after the meal.

Posted by: Rick ()
Date: October 12, 2011 07:10PM

As someone who now lives in Arlington (right over the line off Old Dominion), I wish nothing short of a complete demolition of that shopping center. That is the WORST safeway in the company, and the rest of the strip is half empty. The rite-aid is about as bad as the Safeway. China Kingdom is a good restaurant but it's never busy in there. They still do the hot towels after your meal though.

Level it.

Something like a fresh market, walgreens, chinese take out and the radio shack can stay. Starbucks and the BBT/Subway can stay. That other outparcel should be leveled and whatever stores are left should be moved into the old wachovia space in the other failed strip mall down the street.

Posted by: Larry ()
Date: October 13, 2011 05:52PM

Old Safeway in Herndon on Elden St. (think it's a Food Lion, now?) had that same cool conveyor system for shuttling bagged groceries to the outside for loading. Man, does that bring back memories from late 60's childhood. Can still hear the career-register folk punching keys on the mechanical registers and the rattling from the register toward a receipt. Same goes for ker-chunking sound from dept. stockers... stamping prices on each individual Campbell's soup can with voilet colored ink price. Huge thanks to (Rembember Chesterbrook) for some long forgotten memories of the old Safeway Stores!

Posted by: Remember Chesterbrook ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:30AM

Yeah, I grew up in that area, went to Chesterbrook elementary when it just had the one old wing to it - cool old building. I remember there was a field behid the school and we all thought it was HUGE. Went by there last year and amazing how small it all looks now. I also remember there was a field/remnants of a farm sorta behind to the left of the safeway. We'd buy produce and stuff there occassionally and fireworks from the temporary stand they used to set up in the parking lot. Things seemed a lot simpler/nicer back then.

POLL- Americans DO NOT TRUST Hillary!
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:37AM

`

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 09:39PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Paul H ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:46PM

Franklin Park Road was never the same after the built that Solitaire housing development. It ruined the whole vibe of the place.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.