HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Million Dollar Sheriff
Posted by: sleeper ()
Date: October 04, 2011 02:36PM

Sheriff Stan Barry’s Potential Take
$160,979.94 Salary (over 3 year period) = $482,939.82
$50,000 yearly benefits (over 3 year period) = $150,000*
DROP PAYMENTS (over 3 year period) = $436,230
*Lower-ranking Sheriff’s deputy benefits come out slightly lower per year. The $50,000 figure is conservative considering the benefits to Sheriff Stan Barry include an SUV, gas (paying for his weekly trips to Northern Neck), blackberry and mobile phone, health insurance, life insurance, and leave, among many other incalculable and intangible benefits bestowed on Sheriff Stan Barry.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DROPSTANBARRY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Million Dollar Sheriff
Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: October 04, 2011 02:42PM

Attachments:
sharif.jpg

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 04, 2011 02:44PM

Are you the same idiot person that came on here campaigning to lower firefighters' salaries and eliminate their pensions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 02:45PM by eesh.

Posted by: Reasonable Approach ()
Date: October 04, 2011 05:25PM

I hope the voters in Fairfax County are sophisticated enough to realize this is a tactic to focus attention away from Coopers suitability for Sheriff. He was a barely adequate first line supervisor in the agency and he is not equipped to be the Sheriff. His limited support is coming from a few selfish deputys who want command positions for putting up signs during an election. They should be ashamed of themselves considering all the good that Sheriff Barry has done for the staff, the agency and the community. Even these selfish few know that Cooper is an arrogant, egotistical jerk who has no business being the sheriff of fairfax county. Shame. Shame.

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:21PM

Nice try "reasonable", but lets stick to the facts, shall we. If i get a loan to buy a car, and don't honor that written contract, i lose the car. If i get a loan to buy a home and don't honor that contract, i lose the home.

If i'm the sheriff of fairfax county and sign a written contract to leave, retire, terminate, in three years and don't honor that contract i lose the election.

Very simple. You lose the public trust, you go.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:56PM

So essentially the Republicans are saying that a person can't run for office after they retire? If it forces retirement that doesn't preclude him from his right to run for office. Also, if this was such a big deal why didn't the BOS do something about it to fix the supposed loophole regarding elected officials?? Nice try shithead!! The video even said there is no provision sayinghis applies to elected officials so Cooper and the GOP needs to stop crying.

Date: October 04, 2011 07:20PM

Ok, i see that i am going to have to dumb this down for you fuckstick. Try to keep up.

Noboby is saying that the current sheriff cannot run for election. As a matter of fact, that is all the county attorney commented on, that he can run. He did not comment on the legality of his employment, if elected. By running for sheriff, and promising to serve a full 4 years, as he describes on his website, he wll violate a previously written contract. His promise to the citizens of this county. Looks like the man can't keep his written promise.

Www.dropstanbary.org

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: October 04, 2011 07:41PM

OK, now let me break this down for you retard style.....

So, he can be in DROP legally and run for re-election. Now, where does it say that he has to leave office once he is done with DROP? It doesn't. You can still be Sheriff of any jurisdiction in Virginia even after you retire. In fact, you don't even need to be a certified law enforcement officer or have previously work in law enforcement to be elected as a Sheriff. Just because his time in DROP or any retirement program ends does not mean his elected term is finished. They're two completely different things.

So, that's all I'm going to say on this. I feel myself getting more stupid even responding to you.

Date: October 04, 2011 07:51PM

It CLEARLY states in the DROP application form that he signed that he will terminate employment after his three year drop period. It is very cut and dry if you are intersted in honoring your written committments.

You can spin this any way you want. But the bottom line is he signed an agreement with the citizens of this county and has decided to break that written committment.

Here is some more info for you www.dropstanbarry.org

Posted by: Online Detective ()
Date: October 05, 2011 07:49AM

Really? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, now let me break this down for you retard
> style.....
>
> So, he can be in DROP legally and run for
> re-election. Now, where does it say that he has
> to leave office once he is done with DROP? It
> doesn't. You can still be Sheriff of any
> jurisdiction in Virginia even after you retire. In
> fact, you don't even need to be a certified law
> enforcement officer or have previously work in law
> enforcement to be elected as a Sheriff. Just
> because his time in DROP or any retirement program
> ends does not mean his elected term is finished.
> They're two completely different things.
>
> So, that's all I'm going to say on this. I feel
> myself getting more stupid even responding to you.

You said it, "you don't have to be a certified law enforcement officer or previously work in law enforcement." This is true, so Bill Cooper exceeds the minimum required to be Sheriff.
Another thought, since Sheriff Barry has not been participating in a retirement program for the last two plus years, should he be re-elected, he can take his DROP pay out and buy into VRS, making him the two million dollar sheriff.

Posted by: Sleeper ()
Date: October 05, 2011 12:17PM

eesh Wrote:
> Are you the same idiot person that came on here
> campaigning to lower firefighters' salaries and
> eliminate their pensions?

No. I believe public safety professionals should be highly compensated. I'm a different idiot.

Posted by: Andy G ()
Date: October 05, 2011 12:25PM

Let's eliminate the position entirely. The sheriffs office would operate just fine with a small oversight committee.

These governments (federal, state, and local) PISS away our fucking money like there's no tomorrow. And without a threat like the "Arab Spring" we saw in Egypt, Libya, etc, there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

The sheep keep re-electing shitheads year after year after year (Jim Moran anyone?), and so the rest of us keep getting the broomstick rammed a little further up our collective asses.

Posted by: moneybags ()
Date: October 05, 2011 01:31PM

IAndy G Wrote:
> Let's eliminate the position entirely. The
> sheriffs office would operate just fine with a
> small oversight committee.
>
> These governments (federal, state, and local) PISS
> away our fucking money like there's no tomorrow.
> And without a threat like the "Arab Spring" we saw
> in Egypt, Libya, etc, there's not a damn thing we
> can do about it.
>
> The sheep keep re-electing shitheads year after
> year after year (Jim Moran anyone?), and so the
> rest of us keep getting the broomstick rammed a
> little further up our collective asses.

This guy seems to be pissing away quite a bit. He should not be re-elected.

Posted by: Outraged ()
Date: October 05, 2011 09:44PM

I am a fairfax county resident who wil be voting in november. I am appalled that the county sheriff has decided to scam the retirement system that was set up for rank and file employees. I am further dismayed that he has lost the trust of the public by not honoring his written committment.

Lets send a message to those who think they are above the concept honor and fairness. Vote cooper for sheriff!

Posted by: capt obvious ()
Date: October 06, 2011 01:06AM

Reasonable Approach Wrote:
> I hope the voters in Fairfax County are
> sophisticated enough to realize this is a tactic
> to focus attention away from Coopers suitability
> for Sheriff. He was a barely adequate first line
> supervisor in the agency and he is not equipped to
> be the Sheriff. His limited support is coming
> from a few selfish deputys who want command
> positions for putting up signs during an election.
> They should be ashamed of themselves considering
> all the good that Sheriff Barry has done for the
> staff, the agency and the community. Even these
> selfish few know that Cooper is an arrogant,
> egotistical jerk who has no business being the
> sheriff of fairfax county. Shame. Shame.

All the good such as
- lost pay parity (because he didn't ask for it) yet found time to get a raise for HIMSELF and his chief deputies
- turned the promotional process into a joke, lowered the ammount of years one needs to put in to make MDS (everyone bout those promoted were against this)
- funny how those that "seem to know" forget to mention that the "duplication of services" they say Stan does not do...ahem...strange that after cooper states he want's to work with feds and state to start taking care of fugitives Barry starts up a "futitive task force" and has assigned deputies to work with the police/marshalls service/FBI

funny stuff about the truth, it's hard to hide

Would be nice if that wes guy would of won though. He seemed "non political" which would of been nice for a change...

Posted by: Grnhoward ()
Date: October 06, 2011 06:30AM

capt obvious Wrote:
> Reasonable Approach Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I hope the voters in Fairfax County are
> > sophisticated enough to realize this is a
> tactic
> > to focus attention away from Coopers
> suitability
> > for Sheriff. He was a barely adequate first
> line
> > supervisor in the agency and he is not equipped
> to
> > be the Sheriff. His limited support is coming
> > from a few selfish deputys who want command
> > positions for putting up signs during an
> election.
> > They should be ashamed of themselves
> considering
> > all the good that Sheriff Barry has done for
> the
> > staff, the agency and the community. Even these
> > selfish few know that Cooper is an arrogant,
> > egotistical jerk who has no business being the
> > sheriff of fairfax county. Shame. Shame.
>
>
> All the good such as
> - lost pay parity (because he didn't ask for it)
> yet found time to get a raise for HIMSELF and his
> chief deputies
> - turned the promotional process into a joke,
> lowered the ammount of years one needs to put in
> to make MDS (everyone bout those promoted were
> against this)
> - funny how those that "seem to know" forget to
> mention that the "duplication of services" they
> say Stan does not do...ahem...strange that after
> cooper states he want's to work with feds and
> state to start taking care of fugitives Barry
> starts up a "futitive task force" and has assigned
> deputies to work with the police/marshalls
> service/FBI
>
> funny stuff about the truth, it's hard to hide
>
> Would be nice if that wes guy would of won though.
> He seemed "non political" which would of been
> nice for a change...

All well and good and even if all you have said was true (and we'll agree to disagree here) what is the interest to the voter here. The Sheriff's Office has never been run better from a taxpayer standpoint. The Sheriff's Office does more with less than ever before and is constantly looking for ways to streamline operations to save more while at the same time providing a high level of service to the taxpayers.

I would like to see more of a dialogue between the candidates regarding the actual issues as I'm still waiting to see what Mr. Cooper's actual plans are. I did like Wes also, he's a very nice fellow and pleasant to speak with.

Posted by: DropStanBarry ()
Date: October 06, 2011 06:54AM

Looks like Coopers plan is NOT to take advantage of a loophole that will give him a couple million dollars. Your statement about running the Sheriff's Office from a taxpayer standpoint is sanctimonious horse shit. The taxpayer is kept in the dark about all county agencies. Budgets aren't shared unless specifically asked for. Personnel pay and benefits aren't regularly released. This is a mystery to the citizens of the County. Each one is wasteful in its own way. Looks like Cooper found some bad stuff and wants the public to know. There is NO EXCUSE for this.

http://www.dropstanbarry.org/

Posted by: DropThemAll ()
Date: October 06, 2011 07:23AM

Let’s be honest. Cooper is an idiot and a pawn. If it wasn’t for his wife (Heather Cooper), some influential neighbors in his neighborhood (Barrington, Hi Mr. Hadeed!), and help form Albo he’d still be the same short fused, arrogant, womanizing (still cheats on his wife) lieutenant deputy that he has been for many years.

Oh Stan has his skeletons too. Neither of them is high on my character quality list. Ol’ Wes seemed honest and sincere. I kind of liked him.

Posted by: I see your bullshit and raise you... ()
Date: October 06, 2011 07:39AM

Funny how you list specifics regarding Cooper's 'skeletons'. Why don't you list a few of Barry's? I'll guess it's because you are the fucking pawn. Go ahead and run your big mouth about one candidate and not the other, you transparent prick. "Oh Stan has his skeletons too"? Go ahead and run him down, too. Or are you afraid of career repercussions? You are being used but can't see it.

Posted by: Grnhoward ()
Date: October 06, 2011 07:56AM

DropStanBarry Wrote:
> Looks like Coopers plan is NOT to take advantage
> of a loophole that will give him a couple million
> dollars. Your statement about running the
> Sheriff's Office from a taxpayer standpoint is
> sanctimonious horse shit. The taxpayer is kept in
> the dark about all county agencies. Budgets aren't
> shared unless specifically asked for. Personnel
> pay and benefits aren't regularly released. This
> is a mystery to the citizens of the County. Each
> one is wasteful in its own way. Looks like Cooper
> found some bad stuff and wants the public to know.
> There is NO EXCUSE for this.
>
> http://www.dropstanbarry.org/

The Fairfax County Office of the Sheriff has been independantly audited and found to be one of the leanest run law enforcement agencies in the nation which is a testament to the leadership of Stan Barry. There is also a published budget made available to the public every year so you will have to forgive me for not buying what you are selling. I also wasn't aware that Mr. Cooper was attached to this current smear campaign and that it was simply politics as usual and funded by the local republican committee. Sheriff Barry's record is what it is and there is 12 years worth to look at. Honestly, both Mr Cooper and Sheriff Barry are decent folks and the focus of this election should be on what each brings to the table with regards to the future of the Sheriff's Office. I would like to hear more about Cooper's agenda is and how he plans on implementing it. A debate would be nice to see. Also, seriously....a couple of million dollars is it now? By the time November rolls around you guys will be accusing Barry of creating the national budget deficit, .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 07:58AM by Grnhoward.

Posted by: Well Duh ()
Date: October 06, 2011 08:31AM

Of course the agency is lean - Sheriff Barry needs to make sure the money is available to fund his $1,000,000 DROP benefits.

Posted by: Rhetoric ()
Date: October 06, 2011 09:13AM

Grnhoward. A listing of your previous posts clearly reveals your agenda. Not only are you an employee of the sheriff, but you've been doing your best to undermine your opponent with partial truths and deceptive statements. You are as dirty as the politicians you support and undermine. You Sir, are the problem with politics. People like you muddle the truth and make rational decisions difficult for the constituency. Your facts and figures are speckled with bits of truth but are largely fictitious. Your credibility is ZERO. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Date: October 06, 2011 09:13AM

From Stan's web site:

"We were one of the few organizations to make serious cuts to our Agency due to the recession AND return money to the county at the end of the year. Last year we returned 2.5 million dollars and this year we returned $1.5 million."

So is this why Sharon Bulova has not fixed the DROP loophole yet? Cause Stan has been so fiscally responsible he has returned money to the county coffers? Only to have to pay it out elsewhere!

I have heard that Stan cannot even run his own meetings that he pays a meeting planner 100,000 a year plus expenses to travel from Boston to Fairfax monthly to run his staff meetings.

And another thing, why does Stan not post his campaign finances electronically? What is he hiding?

Posted by: Seriously??? ()
Date: October 06, 2011 09:25AM

Sheriff Barry is bragging about cutting $1,500,000 from the agency - and then he's taking $1,000,000 for himself?!?!

Posted by: The funny thing ()
Date: October 06, 2011 03:30PM

Is that people believe that voters actually read this forum and will use it as a method to determine who is best to be the next Fairfax Sheriffs. It's essentially turned into nothing more a few employees who support either Stan Barry or Bill Cooper talking shit to one another posing as different people.

Posted by: Supervisor ()
Date: October 06, 2011 04:19PM

The funny thing Wrote:
> Is that people believe that voters actually read
> this forum and will use it as a method to
> determine who is best to be the next Fairfax
> Sheriffs. It's essentially turned into nothing
> more a few employees who support either Stan Barry
> or Bill Cooper talking shit to one another posing
> as different people.

You are absolutely right. Now quit fucking around on the computer and go feed the prisoners.

Posted by: 911 ()
Date: October 06, 2011 05:13PM

DANGLE FOR SHERIFF!!!
Attachments:
LtDangle.jpg

Posted by: Champion ()
Date: October 06, 2011 06:49PM

If he does get reelected he should lose the money. If I agree to paint your shed and you agree to pay me for it but I don't pay your shed, you shouldn't still have to pay. I broke the contract.

Posted by: Moderate ()
Date: October 08, 2011 01:58AM

Something really stinks about the sheriff and this issue. Not sure i fully understand all of the layers, but my corruption radar is screaming. If it looks like a duck...

Posted by: Redman ()
Date: October 09, 2011 12:32AM

A recent entry in the washington post blog by frederick kunkle reports that the current sheriff, Stan Barry, has made an arrangement with county officials, approved by the county attorney, that exempts him from county law.

Any other employee must retire at the end of their DROP period and move their DROP money to a retirement vehicle. Evidently, Stan Barry is claiming that he has made a back-room deal with some county people that relieves him from tnis law?

Really? Do we really want to further empower a guy who thinks he is above the law?

Posted by: Citizen X ()
Date: October 10, 2011 05:42AM

Sheriff Barry enrolled in a public employee pension program, that was never intended to be for elected officials. Government workers who have reached retirement age can enroll in yhe program to continue working for three years, and after those three years they leave. This process is irreversible, and by enrolling in the program you give your word that you’re out after three years. Barry has broken this promise.

Posted by: Gossip credits hedwig iggy steed ()
Date: October 10, 2011 09:48AM

Only vote for him if this happened

Posted by: Its Only Money ()
Date: October 10, 2011 09:19PM

Its only a million dollars.
Attachments:
Old pals sm.jpg

Posted by: Phoenix ()
Date: October 10, 2011 10:28PM

I saw a deputy dropping his kid off at PVI. Are they allowed to use county vehicles as their own personal ones? In the event of an emergency, how would they respond? That's why they drive cruisers, right?

Posted by: I buy your gas ()
Date: October 11, 2011 05:17AM

Your tax dollars send many county employees to and from work. The Sheriff allows his commanders and many other deputies to use vehicles for personal use in the regard that they can transport family members in an emergency vehicle. Unfortunately, in an emergency, that vehicle would be like any other. Can't respond to a shooting with your kid in the car. It's a huge perk and the public safety agencies take advantage of it. The Sheriff's Office is one of the worst.

Posted by: what emergency? ()
Date: October 11, 2011 10:50AM

Biggest scam around, lets see, how many emergencies have commanders had to respond to at a fully staffed jail in say at least 10 years, probably zero. Why dont they just quit pretending and let taxpayers know they are screwing them the same way Police and Fire and Rescue do. The Connolly photo says it all for me at the polls.

Posted by: ROCKO MEATS ()
Date: October 11, 2011 01:29PM

Damn I'm a county employee and don't get those perks, WHAT THE F--k!

Posted by: I buy your gas ()
Date: October 11, 2011 04:00PM

Apparently you aren't a high ranking public safety employee. In other words: Go screw yourself.

Posted by: DROP Out ()
Date: October 11, 2011 05:25PM

A story about the Philadelphia DROP program. This is the B.S. that Fairfax County is doing. It makes me sick.

http://articles.philly.com/2010-08-03/news/24971890_1_pension-fund-pension-costs-retirement

Posted by: FRAUD ALERT! ()
Date: October 12, 2011 01:31PM

sleeper Wrote:
> Sheriff Stan Barry’s Potential Take
> $160,979.94 Salary (over 3 year period) =
> $482,939.82
> $50,000 yearly benefits (over 3 year period) =
> $150,000*
> DROP PAYMENTS (over 3 year period) = $436,230
> __________________________________
> $1,069,169.82
> *Lower-ranking Sheriff’s deputy benefits come
> out slightly lower per year. The $50,000 figure is
> conservative considering the benefits to Sheriff
> Stan Barry include an SUV, gas (paying for his
> weekly trips to Northern Neck), blackberry and
> mobile phone, health insurance, life insurance,
> and leave, among many other incalculable and
> intangible benefits bestowed on Sheriff Stan
> Barry.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/user/DROPSTANBARRY

That is just wrong.

Not wrong math. Just wrong. Indict him & throw him in his great jail.

Posted by: middle class ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:01AM

That's alot of money for an elected sheriff.

Posted by: resident ()
Date: October 13, 2011 06:35PM

To Fraud alert: Where is there any fraud the County said there was nothing illegal with what Barry did.

I do not like Barry or Cooper for Sheriff but of the two I would have to go with Barry. Talk to some of the Deputies they do not like Cooper he was not respect while he worked there from what they have told me. Look at his signs " Keeping Fairfax Families Safe" The Sheriff department does not do criminal patrol that is the Police Dep job. Barry is back by his department and the Police.

Date: October 13, 2011 06:54PM

@resident: not sure you are grasping what is going on. You state that the county said there is nothing illegal what barry did. On that point; the ONLY person (not the county) who is saying this is Barry. The county attorney has said nothing publically since this broke and the board is silent on this issue since it hit the post. barry is on an island saying the county is good with this, and only barry.

Do you find it curious that he has zero county support to back his statements? This is an integrity issue, not a legal one. He retired from county service when he signed the drop papers and wants to break his written word to the citizens of this county.

You may not like the leadership style of cooper but i am willing to try a guy that has the honesty and integrity to make good on a promise.

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:16PM

Independent Wrote:
> @resident: not sure you are grasping what is
> going on. You state that the county said there is
> nothing illegal what barry did. On that point;
> the ONLY person (not the county) who is saying
> this is Barry. The county attorney has said
> nothing publically since this broke and the board
> is silent on this issue since it hit the post.
> barry is on an island saying the county is good
> with this, and only barry.
>
> Do you find it curious that he has zero county
> support to back his statements?

When will the right wing learn that lying is wrong?

"County Attorney Weighs In
Both Republicans and Barry agree that Fairfax County Attorney David Bobzien says that Barry can participate in DROP and legally run for office again, even though Republicans disagree with Bobzien on that point. Bobzien did not respond to a request for comment..."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2011/10/04/republicans-say-sheriffs-_n_995354.html

Date: October 13, 2011 07:46PM

I am very sorry that you trust the filler commentary on the patch article. Read it again. The reporter (not county officials) editorialize that these shenanigans are legal, and the county attorney was unavailable for comment.

The reporter states that everyone is good with this, except the only quoted person who is trying to minimalize this is the sheriff.

I love how you liberals think.

Posted by: on point ()
Date: October 13, 2011 09:36PM

He's not a liberal. He's a deputy. He just happens to think kissing ass will get him something.

Posted by: Goo Goo ()
Date: October 14, 2011 07:25AM

Just out of curiosity I went ahead and checked out your link. A pretty slick Madison Avenue ad. Impressive, to say the least. I am concerned about one thing. How does this affect the DROP for everyone else? Most of the serious responses haven't touched that issue. I'm thinking that the posters have a personal agenda and that Stan Barry may have just worn out his welcome. Oh, I know he lied, but all politicians do. They bend the truth and make statements that they can wiggle around. Please explain how this hurts the County aside from his lack of truthfulness.

Posted by: He Lied! That's bad enough! ()
Date: October 14, 2011 10:52AM

He's not supposed to act like a politician. He's supposed to be Sheriff. Who wants a Sheriff that lies? As a publicly documented lier, he couldn't even take the stand in court, and testify in a case. I'd bet he's even fired people for lying.

As far as how it hurts the county, take a look at at the link that one of the others posted. This is happening in Philadelphia and is bankrupting the retirement system and costing the City big time.

http://articles.philly.com/2010-08-03/news/24971890_1_pension-fund-pension-costs-retirement

"Philadelphia's controversial DROP retirement program has cost the city $258 million in extra pension costs over the last decade, according to a much-anticipated report by Boston College researchers released today.

Given that finding, Mayor Nutter this afternoon called on City Council to eliminate the program."

Once the county allows Stan Barry to get away with it, they will have to allow others and where will it end? It will end with the program being terminated and regular county employees losing out. Of course, Stan Barry will still have his chunk of change.

Posted by: lost my vote ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:01AM

I am a lifelong Democrat who rarely votes against my party---but this guy sickens me.

Fairfax will be Harrisburg PA if jerks like this keep stealing from the hardworking (and unemployed) of this county.

I will be voting for hip opponent-I bet others do the same.

Posted by: Gman ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:57PM

Posted by: I've fallen and I can't get up ()
Date: October 15, 2011 03:43PM

www.dropstanbarry.org
Attachments:
BarryForSheriff.jpg

Date: October 16, 2011 03:39AM

DROP Out Wrote:
> A story about the Philadelphia DROP program. This
> is the B.S. that Fairfax County is doing. It makes
> me sick.
>
>
>
> http://articles.philly.com/2010-08-03/news/2497189
> 0_1_pension-fund-pension-costs-retirement

LOL retard, do research and you will see what FFX is doing cost the county zippy. It's their retirement money which they've earned....however they are not collecting that retirement..it goes into a bank account...they continue to work up to a period of 3 years...then they quit their job, take "their" retirement and leave...it allows the county to keep around senior people and train new people...and gives more of a solid date for someone retiring as opposed to "I'm gonna retire tomorrow good luck finding someone to replace me"...

The probem with THIS issue...is the contract that says you will quit....well, he is ignoring that part of the contract.....

Plus the example you gave shows their retirement fund is poorly backed..where as Fairfax is around the 90% funded.....so STFU

Date: October 16, 2011 03:42AM

resident Wrote:
> To Fraud alert: Where is there any fraud the
> County said there was nothing illegal with what
> Barry did.
>
> I do not like Barry or Cooper for Sheriff but of
> the two I would have to go with Barry. Talk to
> some of the Deputies they do not like Cooper he
> was not respect while he worked there from what
> they have told me. Look at his signs " Keeping
> Fairfax Families Safe" The Sheriff department does
> not do criminal patrol that is the Police Dep job.
> Barry is back by his department and the Police.

LOL retard, the sheriff keeps families safe....by keeping scum locked up and running a safe and secure jail.....lol oh...barry is backed by the deputies? only the cronies that have been given promotions for their support ;)

Date: October 16, 2011 05:47AM

Let us speak to the Sheriff' Union. Who do they actually represent? Out of the 600 plus employees they have a membership of 1/3 of that number. Less than 10% showed up for the endorsement vote of the membership, and from what insiders tell me is that the vote for Bill Cooper was CLOSE. So that actual balloted support for Stan Barry was less than 5% of the total agency, sounds like his cronies to me.

Let us not forget the Barry video, "I cannot work with Unions." Maybe Police and Fire Unions should of seen that video before the followed their Brother Public Safety Union with their endorsment.

Ahh and let us not forget the mailing Stan Barry put together for the Public Safety Endorsement. Using actors to portray public safety and later sending an email to Chief Manger apologizing for the misrepresentation.
Stan is a Politician, he misrepresented the Union Support to the Public.

Posted by: Do you remember when ()
Date: October 16, 2011 10:51AM

Barry's wife committed suicide? At the time it was briefly suspicious, and then seemed to fade pretty quickly.

http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2011/03/va-not-forgetting-shrouded-in-mystery.html

Posted by: 15 year Employee ()
Date: October 16, 2011 02:00PM

I call foul! Let Barry supporters hit below the belt. Cooper people have been pretty clean. Let them stay that way. I've seen nothing but ugliness from the Sheriff's staff, his union, and his supporters. Let Cooper win without the crap that the incumbent is spreading.

Posted by: Would Rather See Cooper Win ()
Date: October 17, 2011 03:00AM

I buy your gas Wrote:
> Your tax dollars send many county employees to and
> from work. The Sheriff allows his commanders and
> many other deputies to use vehicles for personal
> use in the regard that they can transport family
> members in an emergency vehicle. Unfortunately, in
> an emergency, that vehicle would be like any
> other. Can't respond to a shooting with your kid
> in the car. It's a huge perk and the public safety
> agencies take advantage of it. The Sheriff's
> Office is one of the worst.

Id rather see Cooper win, but there is a lot wrong with what you just said.

First they arent taking advantage of anything. If you have a take home vehicle you are allowed to use it all the time. Its a free personal vehicle and taking your kid to school in it is not an abuse.

Second unless you have proof that officer was working a shift at the time again no big issue. When they work they work, when their off the clock their off the clock.

Finally unless he was doing something wrong he wouldnt be responding in an emergency anyway unless some large scale riot broke out or a big terrorist attack because he was off the clock. And lets be honest he was taking his kid to PVI so if something did happen he wouldnt be needed any way. There are potentially five other local departments that have officers there. There are the on duty sheriffs, state troopers, fairfax county cops, fairfax city cops and possibly GMU police. If the situation was that bad they would all send on duty officers before calling in off duty ones who may or may not even have their weapon with them at the time.

Your trying to make an issue out of nothing unless you have proof that sheriff was on duty at the time.

Date: October 17, 2011 03:35AM

> I buy your gas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Your tax dollars send many county employees to
> and
> > from work. The Sheriff allows his commanders
> and
> > many other deputies to use vehicles for
> personal
> > use in the regard that they can transport
> family
> > members in an emergency vehicle. Unfortunately,
> in
> > an emergency, that vehicle would be like any
> > other. Can't respond to a shooting with your
> kid
> > in the car. It's a huge perk and the public
> safety
> > agencies take advantage of it. The Sheriff's
> > Office is one of the worst

1) you dont even know what you are talking about

2) you think if cooper were sheriff the take home cars would stop? Why don't you ask coop what he did with his take home vehicle when he was an Lt?

3) you people claim Barry is running a bad campaign, but everything the cooper people have said are literally lies and misinformation.

Posted by: . . . . . ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:37AM

Frisky. . .

I can tell you things that the incumbent has done that would make the hair stand up on your neck. . . He is not the man you think he is. If you know any officers around in the county seek out those that would know what took place years ago during the particular month of February, you'll be astonished.

Date: October 18, 2011 11:38AM

. . . . . Wrote:
> Frisky. . .
>
> I can tell you things that the incumbent has done
> that would make the hair stand up on your neck. .
> . He is not the man you think he is. If you know
> any officers around in the county seek out those
> that would know what took place years ago during
> the particular month of February, you'll be
> astonished.

I frankly do not believe vague vailed statements. Until you explain more, I'm just gonna chalk it up as more lies by cooper people.

Posted by: Sick of your B.S ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:52PM

I don't go for insinuating anything about Sheriff Barry. If he gets beat, it should be fair and square and its looking that way so far. Say what you mean and get on with it. As for Friskydingo: You Sir, can go eat a giant pile of shit. Your posts around this board are worthless.

Posted by: Beenaroundawhile ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:41AM

Lets start here. . .
It would appear that policy, both department and county may have been violated here by union leadership in the accompaniment of the campaigning official. Ref. the following link where depicted in the second photograph it appears to be the union president attending an election kick off after using administrative leave, provided by county for employee groups. This would in turn constitute campaigning on duty since the type of leave used is for purposes of employee interest, training etc. Once this leave is approved it would become a duty assignment. Thus campaigning on duty. Again, lets start with this one and then move on to the next.

See link: http://www.bluevirginia.us/diary/4656/stan-barry-for-fairfax-county-sheriff-reelection-kick-off

Citizens need to know who exactly is minding the store.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen Here ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:30AM

Anyone who works for Fairfax County is eligible for the DROP program - citing Stan Barry and using him as some sort of example is wrong. This argument or objection has no merit. The figures are all inadequate too. Suggest anyone concerned google Fairfax County DROP and read up on it. Every single Fairfax County employee who can retire can enter that program. It reduces the retired employee's monthly amount because they base the amount on the number of years of service at the start of the drop date, the final three years do not count.

Posted by: Trying to understand ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:47AM

To: "Concerned Citizen Here"

I may not understand DROP completely, but I thought the point is DROP is for employees NOT elected officials like Sheriff Barry. That's what I got from the video.

And even if Sheriff Barry was lawfully in DROP - from what I understand, he has to get out in three years. Even you reference the "final three years." According to the video - his three years are almost up.

What am I missing?

Date: October 19, 2011 02:40PM

If an Elected Official retires, should there not be a special election? If you quietly retire, and the County Attorney, and the Chairperson of the Board okays it. Does that not violate Virgina Code § 24.2? Maybe we need to get Ken Cuccinelli’s input on this one.

Posted by: New News ()
Date: October 21, 2011 08:32PM

From Kingstowne Patch Oct 21

The controversy over Fairfax County Sheriff Stan Barry's retirement plan could be headed to Richmond.

Delegate Tim Hugo (R-40) plans to introduce legislation that would prevent future elected officials from participating in the Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP), closing a "loophole" Republicans say Barry exploited, according to a Fairfax County Republican Committee press release.

"Sheriff Barry's wrongful participation in this program takes away monies from critical and necessary County services," Hugo said in a press release. He did not respond to a request for comment.

"He has no intention of good law," Barry told Patch Thursday. "This is a political attack."

An employee of the Sheriff's Department for 32 years, Barry opted into DROP in 2009. DROP allows county employees who are eligible for retirement to continue at their jobs for three years while accruing retirement benefits. After those three years are up, the employee must retire.

Republicans say DROP was never intended for elected officials like Barry. Even if his participation is legal, they say, he should not run for re-election this year against Republican Bill Cooper because his three years in DROP will end in 2012. They have launched a website, DROP Stan Barry, to publicize the issue.

"As the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is obviously not prepared to correct the situation, I will act in Richmond to protect the taxpayers of Fairfax County," Hugo said in the release.

Hugo's legislation would prevent elected officials from participating in "special retirement programs."

Barry has said that he will not earn interest on his retirement fund if he wins re-election. County Attorney David P. Bobzien has said Barry's participation in DROP and re-election campaign are both legal.

"This is Big Brother trying to reach down and do something,” Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay (D) said about Hugo's proposed bill. While the Commonwealth pays a portion of the salaries of each county's commonwealth's attorney, sheriff, and court clerk, McKay said the legislation would affect all elected officials, including those whose salaries are not funded by the state government.

McKay said Hugo's proposal would also discourage county employees who are eligible for retirement from running for office.

DROP's limit on three years of employment after entering the program is complicated by Barry's elected status, according to Sully District Supervisor Michael Frey (R).

“The real issue is we have an elected official that chose to enter it, and because of the unique nature of elected officials, has chosen to go back on his word,” Frey said.

Providence District Supervisor Linda Smyth (D) said the DROP law was never written with elected officials in mind, because they have their own form of mandatory retirement.

"You either get elected or you're not," she said.

Posted by: Goo Goo ()
Date: October 22, 2011 09:07PM

Democrats and Republicans agree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flpfzs9B5hw

Date: October 22, 2011 09:32PM

Posted by: Bernie Madoff ()
Date: October 23, 2011 07:37AM

The Sheriffs Office is run like a giant but legal pyramid scheme. The few at the top sit around and collect huge paychecks while everyone else works hard. Its an excellent agency that deserves better leadership. The taxpayers deserve better, too.

Date: October 27, 2011 08:32PM

I saw this today in Falls Church!
Attachments:
1 million.jpg

Posted by: 20 year employee ()
Date: October 27, 2011 09:01PM

Are the Cooper supporters going to pout after Cooper loses by a landslide? I mean more than usual.

Posted by: Put Integrity back in the S.O. ()
Date: October 28, 2011 12:16PM

The Sheriff is a CHEAT. . . .

Definition of CHEAT
transitive verb
1: to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud
2: to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
3: to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting
intransitive verb
1: to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly

Posted by: Brothers in DROP ()
Date: October 28, 2011 12:47PM

I know several people in DROP. None of them can keep their jobs after the end of the 3 year period. That was the deal they made, and that's the deal Sheriff Barry made. The fact that the Sheriff wants special treatment not available to the men and women that he 'leads' disgusts me.

Posted by: Amazing ()
Date: October 28, 2011 01:02PM

You are all morons. Essentially, you waive your right to hold elected public office if you are in this? Wrong. If any of your deputy friends wanted to run for public office after retiring through DROP in Fairfax they could. That's why everything he is doing is legal. It's funny because I thought Democrats were supposed to trample the constitution but in Fairfax it seems the FCRC wants to more than anyone else.

Posted by: Amazingly Stupid ()
Date: October 28, 2011 01:50PM

Amazing Wrote:
> You are all morons. Essentially, you waive your
> right to hold elected public office if you are in
> this? Wrong. If any of your deputy friends wanted
> to run for public office after retiring through
> DROP in Fairfax they could. That's why everything
> he is doing is legal. It's funny because I
> thought Democrats were supposed to trample the
> constitution but in Fairfax it seems the FCRC
> wants to more than anyone else.

Hey Amazing,
"Legal" is not moral or ethical. That would make you the moron. Like the rest of you that keep talking about what's "legal". How about what's right, ethical, responsible, truthful, etc..? Is there no honor here? For Pete's sake, you sound like a politician or lawyer. WTF?

Posted by: Brothers in DROP ()
Date: October 28, 2011 01:52PM

No, Amazing, it's just the opposite. If you are an elected official - you don't go into DROP.

Posted by: Sheriffs Office Employee ()
Date: October 28, 2011 05:36PM

Sheriff Candidate Cooper violating my privacy
Posted by: Sheriffs Office Employee ()
Date: October 28, 2011 05:19PM

Can someone tell me how retired Sheriff's Employee Bill Cooper gained access to my private home address? I work in the Sheriffs Department, in the jail. I only provide my home address when legally required to do so. I have received campaign mail from Coopers campaign addressed to me as a Sheriffs Office employee. I did not give anyone permission to give my private address to Bill Cooper. He and someone in the Sheriffs Office has violated county policy and my legal right to privacy. Maybe I should check my credit report in case he has my social security number also. Cooper needs to stop claiming he is earning anyones trust and confidence. I am pissed and I know a lot of other deputies are upset about this as well. Well???

Posted by: Rory ()
Date: November 06, 2011 06:03PM

http://www.dropstanbarry.org/
DEMocrat Pennt Gross even says Barry is abusing the system!!
I didnt understand until I saw the video and now I do.

Posted by: Cujo ()
Date: November 07, 2011 05:43AM

I had a feeling these charges were a little outlandish. Looks like candidate Cooper has a tough time sticking to the truth according to the Washington Post today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-nova/post/fairfax-sheriff-candidates-ad-draws-angry-responses/2011/11/06/gIQAedWrtM_blog.html#pagebreak

Posted by: 4 more years, II ()
Date: November 07, 2011 07:47AM

Cujo Wrote:
> ...Looks like candidate Cooper has a
> tough time sticking to the truth...

Politics of Hate, mainstay of the current Imploding Party, doesn't need truth.

The idea is to hate and generate hate "He's bad! He's bad! He's bad!" instead of saying why...you know...your own candidate is good.

Using purposefully-misleading words is just another part of that.

[I watched very briefly the other day a Fox news program - the level of "smirk" involved with that reporting floored me - I understand now what everyone was talking about w.r.t. Fox - yow!]

Posted by: Cooper Misleading the Public ()
Date: November 07, 2011 08:57AM

Send E-mail | Follow on Twitter | Fan on Facebook | RSS Feed | Virginia Politics | Crime SceneSee It Before You Drive It
Use our new and improved traffic cams to check out your route before you go, on our traffic and commuting page.

5 great nova reads
1Wounded Loudoun Valley High vet becomes athlete, movie star. Marine from Loudoun County stars in documentary about recovery - Washington Post
2Alexandria knows how to get its party started right. Alexandria town crier contest draws enthusiastic contestants - Washington Post
3The best entertainment, the best food, the best people in Northern Virginia. The Best of NoVa 2011 - Northern Virginia magazine
4Will the GW Parkway still be a parkway if the trees are gone? Trees in need along the G.W. Parkway - Washington Post op-ed
5Potomac Falls High grad, killed in Afghanistan, buried at Arlington Cemetery. Army Spec. Douglas J. Green fondly remembered as ‘old soul’- Washington Post

top 31 nova blogs
Sure, there are a lot of blogs and a lot of blah-blah-blah out there. But here at The State of NoVa, we’ve culled through a few hundred or so, and bring you our list of the Top 31 fun and fascinating blogs on everything from politics to partying.

Talk back to tom
Got a Question? A Comment? A Compliment? A Complaint? Email Tom or find him on twitter.

The official officials
You want to track down your local police chief? Find out your county’s dog leash policy? Look up the school lunch for tomorrow? Here’s our list of the official websites for Northern Virginia’s local government, police and school districts. We’ll add more as we find ‘em.

The State of Nova?
About the blog.
About Tom Jackman.

State of NoVa Poll
What will you do on the day before the Day the World Ends? Vote in our State of NoVa Poll here.

Virginia Politics
Latest stories from the Virginia Politics blog

Last-minute campaign mailer calls Forrest ‘openly homosexual’
Reversing course, FEMA grants Virginia earthquake aid
Kondratick accuses Ramadan of wanting to investigate miscarriages

Search This Blog

Subscribe
Select ...
RSS Feed
Close

Recent Posts
Fairfax sheriff candidate’s ad draws angry responses
Alexandrians in support of waterfront plan speak up
Fairfax sheriff still fending off pension allegations
Prince William hosts important global warming case
Alexandria officials to study alternative waterfront plan
Entries By Category
Alexandria
Annandale
Arlington County
Ashburn
Books
Centreville
Chantilly
Chats
Courts
Crime
Dale City
Dave Sharrett
Development
Dulles International Airport
Dumfries
Fairfax City
Fairfax County
Falls Church
Firefighters
Franconia
George Mason University
Great Falls
Herndon
Hybla Valley
Leesburg
Loudoun County
Manassas
McLean
Media
Mental Health
Metro
Mount Vernon
Music
Nightlife
NoVa
Northern Virginia Community College
Oakton
Police
Politics
Prince William County
Reston
Schools
Secession
Sports
Springfield
Sterling
Traffic
Tyson's Corner
Vienna
Woodbridge
Stories By Date
Full Monthly Archive
Posted at 09:53 PM ET, 11/06/2011
By Tom Jackman

Bill Cooper, Republican candidate for Fairfax County sheriff. (Cooper for Sheriff) Fairfax County Republican sheriff’s candidate Bill Cooper published a half-page ad in the Connection newspapers Friday, four days before the election, stating he was ”Supported by Deputies, Police Officers and Firefighters.” But he has not been endorsed by any deputies, officers or firefighters unions or associations, and several of those groups issued angry responses Saturday, as did incumbent Sheriff Stan Barry.

Cooper said he doesn’t claim any public safety group endorsements, though he did seek the backing of the Fairfax Deputy Sheriff’s Coalition. “What we are saying is we have support from members of those agencies,” Cooper said. “That ad is true. I didn’t even put Fairfax. It could be police officers from L.A. County for all he [Barry] knows.”

Kevin Pittman, president of the Fairfax deputies coalition, said, “Both myself and the presidents of the other public safety organizations are very disturbed by Mr. Cooper’s willful misrepresentation of the support he has received from the public safety organizations in Fairfax and elsewhere. Sheriff Barry has received the official endorsements of all public safety organizations authorized to endorse in political processes and that is due to the outstanding job he has done during his time as Fairfax County sheriff.”

Barry collected endorsements from 11 groups, including six public safety unions or associations. He also noted that in 10 community forums or debates, Cooper elected not to appear jointly with him at any of them. Cooper said he had better uses of his time than lightly attended debates.

Barry, a Democrat, has been sheriff for 12 years, after being a deputy for 20 years. Cooper was a deputy for nearly 23 years, retiring as a second lieutenant earlier this year.

Fairfax County Sheriff Stan G. Barry, seeking his fourth term as a Democrat. (STAN G. BARRY) Barry said, “I am not surprised by this tactic. His entire campaign has been based on trying to confuse the voters. He has launched baseless accusations about me and has avoided every opportunity to appear before the voters with me.”

Barry was referring to the criticism launched by the Fairfax County Republican Committee over his decision to enter the county’s deferred retirement program yet still run for reelection. He said the criticism exaggerated his salary, his benefits and his pension, and that he will receive no financial benefits. Cooper said the sheriff entered a retirement program with no intention of retiring.

John Niemiec, head of the Fairfax local of the International Association of Fire Fighters, said Cooper’s ad “implies that the union or the association is supporting you. That is extremely misleading and false.”

Edward Nuttall, lawyer for the Fairfax local of the Coalition of Police, said Cooper’s ad was “misleading and disingenuous. If you had somebody who worked for the federal government supporting you, would you put, ‘Supported by the U.S. Government’?”Officer Mike Scanlon, the Fairfax coalition’s president, wrote in September that “This endorsement is not one that we hand out. We took into consideration Sheriff Barry’s tenure as Sheriff and how he has worked with our department and his employees. We believe that Sheriff Barry is the better candidate.”

Daniel Kalbacher, a spokesman for the deputies’ coalition, said his group didn’t automatically side with Democrats: they also endorsed Republican John Cook in his race for Fairfax supervisor. He said Cook has not been claiming support from officers or firefighters, who didn’t endorse him.

Cooper, who is endorsed by a string of Republican officials including Gov. Bob McDonnell, said, “I’ve got more than half of the sheriff’s department that are supporting me. I have support from a bunch of firefighters and lots of police officers...Unlike some folks, we are doing everything on the up and up. We’ve run an honest campaign.”

By Tom Jackman | 09:53 PM ET, 11/06/2011

Posted by: Look what's in today's Washington Post ()
Date: November 07, 2011 09:01AM

Posted at 09:53 PM ET, 11/06/2011
By Tom Jackman

Bill Cooper, Republican candidate for Fairfax County sheriff. (Cooper for Sheriff) Fairfax County Republican sheriff’s candidate Bill Cooper published a half-page ad in the Connection newspapers Friday, four days before the election, stating he was ”Supported by Deputies, Police Officers and Firefighters.” But he has not been endorsed by any deputies, officers or firefighters unions or associations, and several of those groups issued angry responses Saturday, as did incumbent Sheriff Stan Barry.

Cooper said he doesn’t claim any public safety group endorsements, though he did seek the backing of the Fairfax Deputy Sheriff’s Coalition. “What we are saying is we have support from members of those agencies,” Cooper said. “That ad is true. I didn’t even put Fairfax. It could be police officers from L.A. County for all he [Barry] knows.”

Kevin Pittman, president of the Fairfax deputies coalition, said, “Both myself and the presidents of the other public safety organizations are very disturbed by Mr. Cooper’s willful misrepresentation of the support he has received from the public safety organizations in Fairfax and elsewhere. Sheriff Barry has received the official endorsements of all public safety organizations authorized to endorse in political processes and that is due to the outstanding job he has done during his time as Fairfax County sheriff.”

Barry collected endorsements from 11 groups, including six public safety unions or associations. He also noted that in 10 community forums or debates, Cooper elected not to appear jointly with him at any of them. Cooper said he had better uses of his time than lightly attended debates.

Barry, a Democrat, has been sheriff for 12 years, after being a deputy for 20 years. Cooper was a deputy for nearly 23 years, retiring as a second lieutenant earlier this year.

Fairfax County Sheriff Stan G. Barry, seeking his fourth term as a Democrat. (STAN G. BARRY) Barry said, “I am not surprised by this tactic. His entire campaign has been based on trying to confuse the voters. He has launched baseless accusations about me and has avoided every opportunity to appear before the voters with me.”

Barry was referring to the criticism launched by the Fairfax County Republican Committee over his decision to enter the county’s deferred retirement program yet still run for reelection. He said the criticism exaggerated his salary, his benefits and his pension, and that he will receive no financial benefits. Cooper said the sheriff entered a retirement program with no intention of retiring.

John Niemiec, head of the Fairfax local of the International Association of Fire Fighters, said Cooper’s ad “implies that the union or the association is supporting you. That is extremely misleading and false.”

Edward Nuttall, lawyer for the Fairfax local of the Coalition of Police, said Cooper’s ad was “misleading and disingenuous. If you had somebody who worked for the federal government supporting you, would you put, ‘Supported by the U.S. Government’?”Officer Mike Scanlon, the Fairfax coalition’s president, wrote in September that “This endorsement is not one that we hand out. We took into consideration Sheriff Barry’s tenure as Sheriff and how he has worked with our department and his employees. We believe that Sheriff Barry is the better candidate.”

Daniel Kalbacher, a spokesman for the deputies’ coalition, said his group didn’t automatically side with Democrats: they also endorsed Republican John Cook in his race for Fairfax supervisor. He said Cook has not been claiming support from officers or firefighters, who didn’t endorse him.

Cooper, who is endorsed by a string of Republican officials including Gov. Bob McDonnell, said, “I’ve got more than half of the sheriff’s department that are supporting me. I have support from a bunch of firefighters and lots of police officers...Unlike some folks, we are doing everything on the up and up. We’ve run an honest campaign.”

By Tom Jackman | 09:53 PM ET, 11/06/2011

Posted by: Look at who contributes... ()
Date: November 07, 2011 09:29AM

Stan Barry has only gotten campaign contributions from a few of his high ranking command. He's gotten no money from line staff or middle management of any of the deputy, police or firefighter agencies. He is endoresed by a small number of staff that make up those unions. Unions endorse Democrats. But, not so much that they would actually give him any of their PAC money. Barry's had to loan his own campaign $65,000. But, he doesn't even believe enough in his campaign to actually spend much of that $65,000. That shown you how much those other groups "endorse" him. Even he knows it's weak.

Cooper, on the other hand has gotten plenty of contributions and support from police, firefighters, deputies, and a wide array of citizens and business leaders who believe in his message.

Just saying it like it is. Vote for Cooper tomorrow.

Posted by: Look what's in today's Washington Post ()
Date: November 07, 2011 10:07AM

What a Lie Look at who contributes. The bulk of his contributions have come from himself(Cooper) and his wife. It's public information you moron.

Posted by: Once Again ()
Date: November 07, 2011 11:23AM

Once again the Washington Post makes the news rather than reporting it. Is anyone suspicious of the timing? Too late for Cooper to respond effectively. The Post never even blinked about Barry's DROP issue. They've been doing this for years. I'm not fooled one bit.

Date: November 07, 2011 11:29AM

The article is bullshit. I, like many other Sheriffs Employees support Cooper. Unfortunately we're forced to stay anonymous because of retaliation from the Sheriff's administration. The Sheriff laid down the law with internal directives threatening discipline I find the Post article to be very inaccurate and misleading. Cooper is supported by hundreds of employees. The union leaders do NOT represent me or my co-workers. They represent themselves and their own personal desire for advancement.

Posted by: Honesty ()
Date: November 07, 2011 11:56AM

: 15 year Employee will see e how many employee's are working the polls for cooper.
Sheriff Barry has never reliated agaisnt anyone who has not supported him in the past. How many non-suppoerters have been promoted? You are not being honest. Is honesty a requirement for the postion you hold?

Posted by: Hilarious ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:21PM

Yes. Let's see how many are working for Cooper. That statement portends two things:

1. Cooper is in fact supported by many employees; much to the dismay of the Washington Post.

2. Someone WILL be keeping tabs on those employees.

To answer your questions, non supporters languish in anonymity, out shined by attention seekers and toadies. So "none" would be the answer. And honesty is NOT a requirement. It's optional and athough stated, it is rarely, or selectively enforced. It depends on the situation, the employee, the lie itself, etc.. So lets' be realistic: Retaliation comes in many forms. I would never suspect that termination is a possibility, but there's always career development. It's one of my personal faves! You may not agree with 15 year employee, but its probably his or her reality, not that you or anyone else would give a damn.

Posted by: 5016member ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:54PM

The Sheriff never retaliated? Inquire about "The Video" he made attacking the union leadership at the time..

Posted by: Linestaff ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:55PM

Well said Hilarious!

Date: November 08, 2011 09:01AM

I voted for Stan Berry because of you lying Cooper folks. How are you gonna accuse a man of killing his wife just to get votes. Makes me sick.

Besides that, cooper has no experience and some dumb ideas

Attachments:
2011-11-08 08.14.20.jpg

Posted by: GMan ()
Date: November 08, 2011 01:53PM

Totally agree with Dingo on the vote, but he's still a complete piece of shit. Oh, and a homo. Remember Bob?

Posted by: oink ()
Date: November 08, 2011 01:56PM

This is what the Chief Deputy of the Fairfax County Sheriff's Office posted on his Facebook last night. Tons of class there Barry.

..the only deputies that support you in your campaign are those unprincipled few who see you as a path to their own desires. they wouldnt have pissed on you if you were on fire while you were working here, coop! what allegiance would they have to you if you get the job besides settling old vendettas..

This guy looks like an H.R. nightmare.

Posted by: Throw Them Out ()
Date: November 08, 2011 01:59PM

Barry had his chance, time for someone new. I voted against him.

Posted by: MFer ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:23AM

Nice try guys..great strategy going negative!!I really enjoyed kicking your ass back to hell!!Had so many folks tell me how the negative signs turned them off!!I even put some back up for you when I saw they were down!!

Date: November 09, 2011 12:45AM

Tonight should really be a learning opportunity for all future Fairfax republican candidates - the depths of mud slinging you went to only hurt your campaigns severely.

Posted by: Bill and Dave ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:54AM

Official Cooper campaign song bitches!!
http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--2139271

Posted by: Ok ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:20AM

That's a great show of class. I am sure that sheriff Barry is proud to have you fuckwads in his corner.

Posted by: take it out it hurts ()
Date: November 09, 2011 02:06AM

Just like Cooper and the gang caling him Million Dollar Sheriff! You lost bitch!!

Posted by: Love it ()
Date: November 09, 2011 03:51AM

Been waiting here for months- supporting the Sheriff but afraid to because of the guys supporting the other guy. I do not get involved with the stuff but I had to keep my my mouth shut because of some of the loud mouths on my squad. How nice it is to say F- you Cooper. I have been here enough to know we have it have it decent! I know there is a lot more of me on my squad-thanks!!

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.