HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VolunteerFest Seeks Your Assistance on October 22nd and 23rd
Posted by: FFX Parks and Recreation Events ()
Date: October 16, 2011 08:52AM

VolunteerFest Seeks Your Assistance
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/press/html/pr127-11.htm

The Invasive Management Area (IMA) program is participating in Volunteer Fairfax's VolunteerFest® on October 22, 2011, which coincides with the National Day of Service. Conveniently located IMA sites are holding events this year for volunteers to help restore native habitat in parks. Pulling invasive weeds and planting native species benefits local communities and is a great way to socialize with friends and neighbors. To register as a volunteer at an IMA site, call IMA Coordinator Erin Stockschlaeder at 703-324-8681, or send her an email.

Events on October 22

•Pohick Stream Valley: Help restore this lovely stream valley park to its natural state! Volunteers are needed from 9 a.m. to noon to remove invasive plants and provide some tender loving care.

•Brentwood Park: This quaint park is situated in Fairfax and needs your help! Volunteers will work from 10 a.m. to noon removing invasive plants. Try your hand using some cool tools.

•Nottoway Park: Volunteers will work from 9 a.m. to noon in this beautiful and historic park in Vienna to remove invasive plants. Help this park's natural beauty shine!

•Annandale Community Park: This lovely park is located next to Hidden Oaks Nature center in Annandale, Va. It needs your help to combat invasive plants, so bring out the whole family for some outdoor fun and education!

•Belvedere Park: This park in Falls Church is right next door to an elementary school and is utilized as an outdoor classroom. Help remove invasives from Belvedere Park from 8:30 to 10 a.m. and ensure that all the children that visit the park get to see its natural beauty.

•Bryn Mawr Park: Calling all nature lovers! Help remove invasives and learn about your local plants from 9 a.m. to noon at this lovely park in McLean.

•Huntley Meadows Park: Volunteers are needed from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria to remove invasive plants that could threaten this park's fragile wetland ecosystem. Be sure to check out the boardwalk and nature center when you are done!

•Falstaff Park: Volunteer a few hours of your time and make a lasting difference! From 9 a.m. to noon volunteers will be working to remove invasive plants and help restore habitat.

Events on October 23

•Idylwood Park: From 9 to 11 a.m. volunteers will work at this busy park in McLean to remove invasive plants. Get outdoors with the whole family and make a difference in your community!

For more information about the IMA program, visit online at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/Parks/Resources/IMA/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VolunteerFest Seeks Your Assistance on October 22nd and 23rd
Posted by: SCAM ()
Date: October 16, 2011 10:21AM

I thought Volunteer Fairfax was just for prisoners.

Date: October 16, 2011 11:57AM

SCAM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought Volunteer Fairfax was just for
> prisoners.

Nope, for events like this they ask for volunteers.

Date: October 16, 2011 12:27PM

Thank you. I will sign up with the park. Does Volunteer Fairfax only do events for nonprisoners once or twice a year? There should be cleanups once a month.

Date: October 16, 2011 12:33PM

Can you explain more how volunteering works? I went to your website and it says I have to commit to one year. This is a day event.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/volunteer/huntvol.htm#volposition

Date: October 16, 2011 12:37PM

SCAM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you explain more how volunteering works? I
> went to your website and it says I have to commit
> to one year. This is a day event.
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/volunteer/huntv
> ol.htm#volposition

Call IMA Coordinator Erin Stockschlaeder at 703-324-8681 she can go over the program with you and get you signed up. My understanding is that you do not have to sign up for a year.

Date: October 16, 2011 12:51PM

Thank you and have a great day. I for one will go outside and enjoy the many parks that South County has to offer.

Posted by: anonymous54321 ()
Date: October 17, 2011 11:03AM

Volunteer Fairfax has numerous events through out the year. I know that in addition to VolunteerFest, which you can register for a volunteerfairfax.org, they have a family day of volunteering on MLK Day as well as a service day just for youth. They also have a huge breakfast in April where they recognize volunteers for service.

I go to VolunteerFest every year and am excited to register again for this Satruday.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.