HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Leila Gordon closes RCC Wood Shop for weeks to " repair or install new tools, clean the shop and its systems and other maintenance and repair projects"
Posted by: Reston Citizen ()
Date: September 30, 2011 04:34PM

Hello Leila, I would like to ask you specifically what was done? I was a student at the Landing School of Boat building and we used much of the same kind of equipment that we have in the wood shop. We kept the shop running making wooden boats of large size and maintaining the equipment weekly. It may sound very meaningful to you that " repair or install new tools, clean the shop and its systems and other maintenance and repair projects" but it means nothing at all really to a woodworker interested in using the wood shop. Could you please send your staff and look into what was actually done that we had to deprive the citizens of Reston of the use of the whole shop? Please understand my interest. It is my unhappiness with the bureaucratic authoritarian unsympathetic to woodworkers that compelled my to run for the board.- Rod Koozmin

To: Rod Koozmin ; wpenniman@verizon.net
Cc: restonite@gmail.com; beverlycosham@yahoo.com; CarolAnnBradley@aol.com; cvivona@verizon.net; BarryCarver@usa.com; vickywingert@aol.com; john.gasson@gmail.com; bbouie@aol.com; roglow@aol.com; cwmills47@hotmail.com; wkeefe@ldn.thelandlawyers.com; graveyel@aol.com; fasmetz@comcast.net; kareng@patch.com; reston@connectionnewspapers.com
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 2:05 PM
Subject: RE: Woodshop closed for maintenance?

Rod

I am not abroad; I am still in Los Angeles. I will be back in the office on Monday; I will have been gone for exactly two weeks.

The Woodworking Shop is closed annually for a period in late August/early September to allow the supervisors to repair or install new tools, clean the shop and its systems and other maintenance and repair projects. On occasion, we have had to close it to remove broken or damaged equipment and/or to install equipment when the particulars of scheduling related to that demand, however, those occasions are very few and far between years because it is so heavily used (not withstanding your assertions to the contrary.)

It is not closed for the sake of closing it; it is only closed to maintain equipment in top-notch order, systems in operating order, and to install new tools for our patrons. When we do close it for these purposes, we try to select a time-frame that represents the least possible inconvenience to our patrons. Our other specialized facility areas, the CentreStage, Terry L. Smith Aquatics Center, and areas undergoing annual cleaning, patching, painting, carpet replacement, and the like are similarly closed for this period of time to allow us to keep RCC facilities at the highest possible quality level for our patrons.

The Woodworking Shop is open today for drop-in use (Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) and not closed for any repairs or emergencies. I checked with staff and it has not had any unusual closure since the maintenance period at the end of summer as described above.

Leila

Sent: Thu 9/29/2011 9:59 PM
To: Gordon, Leila; wpenniman@verizon.net
Cc: restonite@gmail.com; beverlycosham@yahoo.com; CarolAnnBradley@aol.com; cvivona@verizon.net; BarryCarver@usa.com; vickywingert@aol.com; john.gasson@gmail.com; bbouie@aol.com; roglow@aol.com; cwmills47@hotmail.com; wkeefe@ldn.thelandlawyers.com; graveyel@aol.com; fasmetz@comcast.net; kareng@patch.com; reston@connectionnewspapers.com
Subject: Woodshop closed for maintenance?

Hello Leila,

Wondering if you are back from abroad?

Can you tell me if the woodshop is now scheduled to be "closed for maintenance?"

Has it been closed for this reason in the past?

Is this just a way to keep the shop closed or is any actual maintenance performed. If so what maintenance is actually performed?- Rod Koozmin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leila Gordon closes RCC Wood Shop for weeks to " repair or install new tools, clean the shop and its systems and other maintenance and repair projects"
Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: September 30, 2011 05:12PM

Reston Citizen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was a student at the Landing
> School of Boat building

Your loser status makes Jesus sad...
Attachments:
facepalm_statue.jpg

Re: Leila Gordon closes RCC Wood Shop for weeks to " repair or install new tools, clean the shop and its systems and other maintenance and repair projects"
Posted by: I Raged On LOL ()
Date: September 30, 2011 05:28PM

Rod Koozmin is an anagram of "Zoom in, dork!"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.