HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Requesting Teachers in FCPS
Posted by: ger123 ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:16PM

What is my recourse as a parent if I don't want my child in a particular teacher's class? My son has a terrible math teacher and I want him switched. I don't want to be "that" parent. But my neighbor went to the Principal's office and threatened to go to the Superindendent if they didn't switch her son's teacher, and they complied. I asked nicely but was denied. I might go back next week and threaten to go to the School Board. I feel like I need to do what I can to help my child. If other parents can make demands and get them met, then why cant I?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Requesting Teachers in FCPS
Posted by: Been there ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:21PM

If you have any intention of fighting for your kid you have to be one of 'those' parents. Otherwise they walk all over you

Posted by: you fucking crybaby ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:37PM

you are already "that parent". STFU already.

Posted by: old fart ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:46PM

Some of the best teachers I had in school were the demanding, gruff, unsociable types. I didn't understand it at the time, but I'm grateful for them now.

Just because a teacher won't kiss your precious snowflake's ass does NOT make them a bad teacher.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:53PM

If you think you can do a better job (and I'm willing to bet you can), homeschool the kids.

Posted by: k ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:53PM

Has school really been in long enough for you to know your child has a "terrible" math teacher??? What makes this teacher "terrible"? What grade/level math? I'm just trying to figure out what makes the teacher so bad after just a few days.

Posted by: DDSMRS ()
Date: September 09, 2011 07:57PM

I feel for this mother. EVERYONE knows which teachers are awful. Sorry to say you need to tell your child to suck it up. Life is not always fair. Your child can and will survive.

Posted by: I am betting ()
Date: September 09, 2011 08:10PM

I am betting you may have had a teacher or two you didn't like and survived..........sounds like you're one of those "entitled" persons

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:40PM

If you aren't willing to become "that" parent, you've already done all you can do. Tell your kid to suck it up and gut it out. Even a bad teacher can teach a kid important lessons-they may not be the lessons the teacher is being paid to present but they are still important. If your kid's education suffers there is always private tutoring.

If you are willing to become "that" parent you need to define your role early. You can be the absolute pain in the ass parent who will fight to the end over everything and it is easier to simply give in than to say no (i.e. your parent who got her kid moved). You can try sucking up in advance to anyone with any authority so that when things like this come along there is someone who is in a position to pull strings for you. You can pull a James Bond and spy it all out early, identify the problems and then try to gently nudge the administration into getting your kid into the right class before the year starts. Or you can become Machiavellian, figure out some way that changing your kid's schedule would require that they switch your kid out of this class into the class you want and then put in for that class change. If math at your kid's grade is taught at different levels trying to get your kid bumped up or down can also do the trick. Figure out which approach works for you. The administration, teachers, your neighbors, kid's classmates' parents and even your kid's classmates will talk about you for doing this. But part of being "that" parent is becoming indifferent to adverse comments about the actions you take to advance your child's education.

Posted by: What's that noise ()
Date: September 10, 2011 03:27PM

I hear helicopters

Posted by: check the scores ()
Date: September 11, 2011 01:28PM

Just tell your principal to refer to the history of poor student and teacher evaluations when making your case......Oh, wait FCPS does not do that. I know, refer to the teacher's SOL's scores versus their peers - oh, we don't get that data either.

Sorry, you're screwed. Let your kid learn the lesson that sometimes you have to deal with situations you don't like. I'm betting the kids that got yanked will learn no such lesson, and someday they'll be in a situation they cannot brown nose or bully their way out of and will just quit. You kid will be the one that soldiers on and makes the best of it.

Posted by: Don't Do It ()
Date: September 11, 2011 03:46PM

I recognize the desire the do what you can to help your child, but sometimes doing nothing is best. Everyone has teachers (or bosses) they don't like or who are marginally competent, but you have to learn to deal with what you're given. Unless your child has special needs that the teacher cannot accommodate (and being spoiled is not a special need), then let it go.

Posted by: Touche ()
Date: September 11, 2011 05:27PM

Touche "Don't Do It"......Good Advice

Posted by: I agree ()
Date: September 11, 2011 05:40PM

This works well in real life too. Get a boss you dont like just go to the CEO and demand they give you another one.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.