HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I hate the school board
Posted by: Kyle Armendaris ()
Date: June 09, 2011 09:39PM

My sister is a 3rd grader at Clifton elementary school. She crying every night because her school is closing down. She said she will never vote in a election ever because of what the school board did to her. She thinks like is pointless and whishes she could attend thensame school her friends goes to. But she going to attend willow spring elementary school. Its so far away from our house. Is not as good as a school as clifton es was. look at the demographics enough said

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I hate the school board
Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: June 09, 2011 09:40PM

troll post

Posted by: Justataxpayer ()
Date: June 09, 2011 09:59PM

Ut videam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> troll post

Normally I would agree with you Ut videam. Unfortunately this is a real post from a real child as this family does attend Clifton Elementary. I am a bit perplexed by the post though because this family specifically will be redistricted to Oak View as their base school, not Willow Springs. Willow Springs would be appropriate for the AAP Center for Oak View which is a choice, not a forced modification to the attendance area.

Posted by: Ha Ha Ha! ()
Date: June 09, 2011 10:58PM

Shut the hell up. Who cares what the demographics are? Are you scared of what might happen to little Susie when she has to go to school with students who don't look like her? Even worse ... going to school with kids whose parents are (god forbid) Democrats?

Best part about the OP's post? The fact that Willow Springs outperformed Clifton on all four 3rd grade SOL tests in 09-10.

Kyle Armendaris Wrote:
> My sister is a 3rd grader at Clifton elementary
> school. She crying every night because her school
> is closing down. She said she will never vote in
> a election ever because of what the school board
> did to her. She thinks like is pointless and
> whishes she could attend thensame school her
> friends goes to. But she going to attend willow
> spring elementary school. Its so far away from
> our house. Is not as good as a school as clifton
> es was. look at the demographics enough said

Posted by: Update ()
Date: June 10, 2011 07:01AM

Virginia high court denies appeal to keep Clifton open
County school board voted to close the elementary school in July 2010
by holly hobbs, Staff Writer
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20110610/NEWS/706109787/1117/1117/virginia-high-court-denies-appeal-to-keep-clifton-open&template=fairfaxTimes

Clifton Elementary School parents said they were disappointed but not surprised by the Virginia Supreme Court’s recent decision not to hear an appeal for a retrial on the case to keep the school open.

The Fairfax County Public School Board voted to close the 370-student school in July 2010, citing high renovation costs, a projected decrease in enrollment and contamination of well water used by the school.

Parents quickly sued the school system in Fairfax County Circuit Court for what they called an arbitrary decision, adding the board’s decision was not transparent to voters.

Fairfax County’s Chief Judge of the Circuit Court, Dennis J. Smith, ruled in favor of the School Board on this case in December, after which parents appealed to the state’s Supreme Court.

The school system released a statement on the Supreme Court’s denial Friday.

“In denying the Petition for Appeal, the Court stated that, after reviewing the record in the case and the arguments submitted, the Court was of the opinion that there was no reversible error,” the statement reads.

Clifton parent Elizabeth Schultz, who has helped lead the charge on preventing the school’s closure, said, “We always knew that [appealing to the Supreme Court] was a difficult road … But this was something that the community felt that it wanted to see through.”

Shultz is running for the School Board’s Springfield District seat in the Nov. 8 election.

“I’m disappointed that FCPS decided to categorize this [ruling] as the Supreme Court validating its decision to close Clifton,” she said, adding she visited Richmond for the hearing on Clifton and a three-judge panel voted not to hear the case after listening to the school system’s and Clifton plaintiffs’ oral arguments.

The School Board still faces another lawsuit about its decision to close Clifton Elementary. Attorney and Clifton resident Jill D. Hill filed a lawsuit, which was in court in March, requesting the court’s aid in procuring document requests she had made under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act. The judge in Hill’s case has not yet made a ruling.

“The underpinning issue that connects them both is the transparency issue,” Schultz said of the lawsuits, adding she thinks Hill’s lawsuit is the stronger of the two cases and that a verdict is expected soon.

Date: June 10, 2011 09:58AM

Justataxpayer Wrote:
> Normally I would agree with you Ut videam.
> Unfortunately this is a real post from a real
> child as this family does attend Clifton
> Elementary. I am a bit perplexed by the post
> though because this family specifically will be
> redistricted to Oak View as their base school, not
> Willow Springs. Willow Springs would be
> appropriate for the AAP Center for Oak View which
> is a choice, not a forced modification to the
> attendance area.

I still call bullshit. Perhaps someone is using this kid's name without his knowledge or consent. "look at the demographics enough said"
- Are these the words of a "kid" with a sister in third grade? I think not.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 10, 2011 10:04AM

the kid will be ok - and in a year or two will prolly not even remember what the inside of Clifton Elem even looks like.

Sadly, the Bitch of the Board won this battle to destroy the heart of Clifton - but there is nothing we can do now but move on with it, and now focus on putting some feet up the asses of school board personnel until they get fix the overcrowding and trailer issue that is going to plague the surrounding schools.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: June 10, 2011 11:08AM

Ut videam Wrote:
> Justataxpayer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Normally I would agree with you Ut videam.
> > Unfortunately this is a real post from a real
> > child as this family does attend Clifton
> > Elementary. I am a bit perplexed by the post
> > though because this family specifically will be
> > redistricted to Oak View as their base school,
> not
> > Willow Springs. Willow Springs would be
> > appropriate for the AAP Center for Oak View
> which
> > is a choice, not a forced modification to the
> > attendance area.
>
> I still call bullshit. Perhaps someone is using
> this kid's name without his knowledge or consent.
> "look at the demographics enough said"
> - Are these the words of a "kid" with a sister in
> third grade? I think not.

Um, could be. Perhaps the kid is in high school or maybe even college. I know families with kids with that kind of age difference. Not everyone only has a couple of kids and not everyone has them a year or two apart even if they do. Oh, and with the blended families from multiple marriages, you can get siblings that are twenty years apart. I know a family with a twenty year gap in their kids, base family even, course those crazy people have like 19 nineteen kids as well.

Posted by: Move on people ()
Date: June 10, 2011 12:49PM

My kids are sad but I have made moving to a new school a positive. We need to move on.

Date: June 10, 2011 12:54PM

You people so mean making fun of my spelling and edumucation.

Date: June 10, 2011 04:27PM

Date: June 10, 2011 04:31PM

Ut videam Wrote:
> Kyle?
>
> https://www.facebook.com/Kyle.Armendaris

yea?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.