HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New features a t Marshall HS include salad bar, fresh fruit, deli sandwiches and Asian noodles.
Posted by: FCPS News ()
Date: September 16, 2013 03:17AM

Healthy food takes center stage at Marshall High
New menu to serve as a pilot program for Fairfax school system
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130912/NEWS/130919635/1117/healthy-food-takes-center-stage-at-marshall-high&template=fairfaxTimes

Students at Marshall High School are getting some new, fresh, healthy food options in their cafeteria this year.

Serving as a pilot site for the entire school system, Marshall’s new “Statesmen Station” features a salad bar, fresh fruit, deli sandwiches and Asian noodles.

New menu items include a Waldorf salad with cranberries, black bean and corn salad, falafel, and a yogurt parfait with fresh fruit.

The new food bar sits front and center in Marshall’s newly renovated cafeteria, not hidden behind doors like the traditional food serving lines. Students were involved in designing and marketing the new station, as well as developing new recipes.

“You all are on the cutting edge of promoting healthy foods and healthy lifestyles,” said David Esquith, director of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Safe and Healthy Students, speaking at a kickoff event for the new food bar.

In addition to making healthier food choices attractive to Marshall students, having a pilot site allows the school system to try out new menu options before expanding them to other schools, said Penny McConnell, director of food and nutrition services for Fairfax County Public Schools.

Her department already uses focus groups and student food tastings when developing new items.

“Nothing goes on a menu unless the kids have approved it,” McConnell said. “They’re our customers.”

The parent group Real Food for Kids worked with the School Board and Food and Nutrition Services to establish the pilot program. President JoAnne Hammermaster said they understand it will take time to change a school system as large as Fairfax County, which is why they wanted to start with a pilot program.

“A lot of kids have never tried some of these things,” she said. The goal is to “get them exposed to it to get those healthy habits.”

Real Food for Kids would like to see the approach expand to other schools over time, particularly as schools are being renovated.

Superintendent Karen Garza said the pilot program is just one example of efforts to improve the quality of school lunches and educate students about nutrition.

“The health and overall well-being of our children needs to be mission critical,” she said.

McConnell said changing school menus can be complicated because all lunches must meet federal standards, appeal to parents’ desire for healthy choices, be affordable and appeal to students. In addition, they’re serving students from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds and working to meet the needs of those with special diets.

“The challenge is to meet everyone’s expectations,” she said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New features a t Marshall HS include salad bar, fresh fruit, deli sandwiches and Asian noodles.
Posted by: Good Ole Days ()
Date: September 16, 2013 04:39AM

Schools have come a long way since I went. Remember standing in line with no choices for lunch?

Re: New features a t Marshall HS include salad bar, fresh fruit, deli sandwiches and Asian noodles.
Posted by: Sr. ()
Date: September 16, 2013 06:57AM

Real Food my ass. Nobody's going to eat that shit. If you want good food you have to bring it yourself.

Posted by: svennestle ()
Date: September 16, 2013 07:44PM

i'm sure it does

who did they hire to make the sandiches ? green cards and communists.

what farm did they order the food from ? where are they ordering supplies from

should i get a supply sargeant to look into it?

AHA. bet your not so talkave when the real business talk hits the damn fan

feed the children? or guarantee our local obama supporters a line on ever damn thing altogeter ? hmmm ?

Posted by: svennestle ()
Date: September 16, 2013 07:50PM

so why is it all of the sudden your getting big pay it's your job to make sandwiches for people that didnt' order ?

why is it your damn job to call police on kids who bring their own sandwich or wear a t-shirt you think is non-facist ?

if i didn't know you all weren't over-billing i wouldn't care. looking at "education spending" i know the hell it's a damn facist funding bonanza.

i know you are

but what am i ? eh ?

Posted by: Subway ()
Date: September 16, 2013 08:18PM

I think FCPS should supply Subway to support our schools.

Right now the only kids that buy lunch are the free lunch crowd.

Posted by: Salad Muncher ()
Date: September 16, 2013 10:25PM

If you eat this shit do you lose all your hair and get a bunch of gay buddies like Marshall grad Ryan McElveen?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.