HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Two questions about gyms
Posted by: sak ()
Date: May 12, 2011 08:06PM

1. I live right across Oakton High School, but I am a high school graduate who has never attended there (my family moved here just after my graduation a year ago). It would be illegal for me to enter its gym to work out, right? Or if I email a few coaches and ask them nicely for permission, would I be able to? I'm home for the summer (only about a month or two though) and the high school is the cheapest and closest location.

2. If not, what are some good (and hopefully cheap )free weight gyms that has squat racks, deadlift platforms, and allows Olympic lifting? It would be preferable if you could give me a location that is in a walking distance from near the Vienna metro station/Oakton high school.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two questions about gyms
Posted by: -SBS-_ ()
Date: May 12, 2011 08:09PM

No way ANY high school will let you use their weight room unsupervised, and the coaches are't interested in supervising you.

Can't help you with question #2.

Posted by: monkeyfightclub ()
Date: May 12, 2011 08:14PM

Lifetime Fitness in Fair City mall has a dead lift platform and I've seen some people do olympic lifts when I went to visit a friend who worked there. I'm not sure if it's cheaper than Golds however.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 12, 2011 08:15PM

Posted by: sak ()
Date: May 12, 2011 08:17PM

Last time I've been there, there were no free weight barbells, only dumbbells (and ones too light at that). Only a Smith machine. Or did they upgrade ever since?

Posted by: donut lover ()
Date: May 12, 2011 09:30PM

I think Oak Mar rec center would let you tour their weights room to see what they have. It is not big but it might meet your needs.

You may be able to purchase some of the equipment you are seeking out; check out craigslist and the classified ads.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: May 12, 2011 09:41PM

One thing to remember about Fairfax Rec is that you can use any of their Rec Centers. Not a big deal in itself, but different Rec Centers have different facilities, so that it is possible you may find one a little further with a better weight room that you can use for your more serious workouts and then use the local one for the lighter weight or cardio days. I'm not sure about Oak Marr but I know other Fairfax Rec Centers will let you do a quick tour of their facility.

However my advice would be to check around. There are some that do beat Fairfax Rec prices, and with the economy still shakey you may be able to work out a deal.

Posted by: monkeyfightclub ()
Date: May 12, 2011 09:48PM

sak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last time I've been there, there were no free
> weight barbells, only dumbbells (and ones too
> light at that). Only a Smith machine. Or did they
> upgrade ever since?

I was there a year ago and it was as you described.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.