HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best Place to Buy Auto Tires
Posted by: 124C41 ()
Date: February 08, 2011 04:55PM

I've seen earlier postings; however, the tire world seems to change very rapidly. I was sticker shocked by how tire costs have escalated, as I haven't purchased tires in many years; also, the added fees that used to be included. I used to favor Costco for best price, best tire, but Costco's costs and fees have risen.

I need new P235/45R17 93W for my 2004 Acura TL. Where's best place to purchase to include price and integrity? Any comments on the less expensive tires such as Hancock Optimo, Michelin HydroEdge, or others?

An ad today advertised Mr. Tire. Any feedback on this vendor?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Place to Buy Auto Tires
Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 08, 2011 05:00PM

tirerack.com. ANd have them installed at a shop near you. Best prices by far.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: February 08, 2011 05:23PM

As Shadow said, tirerack and then get them installed by tirevan is a good deal.

Anywhere but Goodyear. Good tires, way over priced.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: February 08, 2011 05:34PM

Concur with Tire Rack, but Mr. Tire will price match (that is my experience with Dave at the Burke location) with the shipping cost and sales tax more or less washing each other out. I would highly recommend the General Altimax HP for your car...not something that most retailers will suggest when they make a lot more from Michelin and Goodyear, but I have used these on a Saab 9-3, an Acura TL and a Chrysler 300. They are around $450 for a set of 4 which is a great value and they ride well in all conditions.

One advantage of buying from Mr. Tire is that you will pay less for installation and mounting than if you have the same tire drop shipped by Tire Rack.

Posted by: whocares ()
Date: February 09, 2011 01:14AM

Buy them used. They have a bunch of places in Manassass - Rene's Tire Mart usually have a bunch in stock. Got a set of Acura TL 2007 OEM tires for $35 a piece. I've had them for a couple years now and made it fine through the snow storm.

Posted by: Weather dud ()
Date: February 09, 2011 07:24AM

Get something with nice nobbies.

Tirerack is the way. Check their site. You can input you vehicle make/model and the see what tires are fit to your car and compare test results and actual user surveys about them.

Is that a runon?

Posted by: *TIRE LOON* ()
Date: February 09, 2011 09:31AM

"nobbies" are only good for off road or the occasional snow storm.
Tires with pronounced nobbies are extremely noisy @ highway speeds
also and don't have the water evacuating channels like the
General Altimax HP's that a previous poster recommended.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: February 09, 2011 10:35AM

For what it's worth, the retail markup on tires is huge. When I asked Mr. Tire for a quote on the General Altimax the total price - installed with road hazard coverage and taxes - was around $850, but with the price match it came down to $525. Unless you are stuck and need tires right now this is the type of purchase that really benefits from a bit of research.

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: February 09, 2011 10:44AM

I had very good luck with TireRack and I also was happy with Costco. TireRack delivery was amazing, ordered on Monday afternoon and had them at my door on Wednesday.

Posted by: tirevan ()
Date: February 16, 2011 12:39AM

As someone who is involved in the tire industry, I'd say that you are absolutely correct...tire prices have gone up significantly over the course of the last few years! Having said that...you can still find some good value tires in the market.

The biggest thing you have to figure out is your need and the type of driving you do. If you are a calm and composed driver for whom "touring" style tire would be perfect..you could consider a Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. These tires last about 60k miles according to government ratings, are rated highly by consumer reports and they offer above average to excellent performance.

If you are a bit of a spirited driver who enjoys driving fast/take corners at a high speed, then you should consider "high performance" tires. These tires offer attractive handling/cornering capabilities but generally tend to be a bit louder from road noise perspective and generally wear off a bit quicker. Dunlop SP sport signature or a Sumitomo HTR could be an attractive option.

Ofcourse, I'd like to say that TireVan is a great option. The prices are very competitive (there is a price guarantee) and the convenience of getting the work done at your home or work is unmatched. Service quality is high as the highest quality Hunter equipment is used for mounting and balancing.

Hope this helps!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.