HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what's happening in Cabell's Mill tonight
Posted by: wondering_wusup ()
Date: July 01, 2010 11:20PM

it sounds like 3 different fire houses showed up in Cabell's Mill tonight...

I didn't want to get into the way...

anybody out there know what's up?

where's robonscanner?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what's happening in Cabell's Mill tonight
Posted by: Noclue ()
Date: July 01, 2010 11:23PM

I live in the city of fairfax and have heard nothing but fire trucks for the last 30 min.

Date: July 01, 2010 11:26PM

I'm starting to worry it may be a forest fire. I heard fire trucks in the distance and more coming and have heard them now for 20 minutes straight.

Posted by: Educated Guess ()

I could be wrong....but...I think maybe there was a fire.

or worse yet.. maybe an airplane crash

Posted by: Noclue ()
Date: July 01, 2010 11:29PM

where is cambell's mill?

Posted by: FireMarshallBIll ()
Date: July 01, 2010 11:31PM

yeah just drove down 28 and got on 66 east, fire trucks heading towards 29 east. Got on 66 and thick haze of smoke everywhere coming from the area just past the off ramp.

Posted by: me chinese me fuck up ()
Date: July 01, 2010 11:32PM

Me cook crab rangoon on coleman grill. coleman grill get too hot. table umbrella catch fire. now all neighborhood on fire to. me not from here so now i go home.

Posted by: dingleberry ()
Date: July 01, 2010 11:34PM

I think it has to be coming from the townhouses or woods over in that area just off 66.

Posted by: Grimm Reeper ()
Date: July 01, 2010 11:36PM

Probably those damn hispanios burning shit all up and shit.

Date: July 01, 2010 11:59PM

It was a house burning down in the back of the neighborhood in a culdesac.

Apparently, there were a bunch of kids and some pets in the basement that had no clue about the fire and somehow people alerted the family and got everybody out.

The fire fighters were still battling the fire 30+ minutes into it.

It's a sad and scary sight. I hope the family will be ok and I hope they have good insurance.

Posted by: weird ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:06AM

Family in the basement but not the rest of the house? Seems a bit of a weird story to me? Im not calling you a lier but I just find it weird everyone would be in the basement and not the rest of the house.

Posted by: wondering_wasup ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:10AM

it was just a comment from a person on the street out there that there were kids in the basement... not sure about the parents, etc... sounded like there are a bunch of kids there... this all went down around 10:45-11 pm.. so they could have been down there playing video games or something..

I dont' know.. just what somebody said you know..

Posted by: billy ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:12AM

the fire is in the spa world sc

Posted by: Beaner No Wiener ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:12AM

what game were they playing? something on ds maybe? i heard lego wars is pretty rad.

Posted by: billy ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:18AM

little Italy

Posted by: wondering_wasup ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:22AM

man, I'm hearing Little Italy by Glory Days/Spa World too.

I saw a couple meteors coming down when I walked over to see this house. I think the aliens are raining down fire on FFX.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:35AM

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=2848 click on the speaker icon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 12:36AM by Lurker..

Posted by: Firratte ()
Date: July 02, 2010 01:18AM

Glory days + red rocks was on fire. I'll post pics later.

Posted by: robonscanner1 ()
Date: July 02, 2010 03:07AM

Date: July 02, 2010 10:54AM

was a family of six, all got out safely.
i've heard fireworks were left on front porch, and am assuming they were smoldering.

people, be careful with your fireworks and grills. make sure you water down all shot-off fireworks with a hose when you're done. and with the grills, make sure if you're using a grill on the deck that anything on fire that falls out gets hosed down to the nth degree. there have been lots of fires started from tiny embers that go unseen until the family is inside, and by the time the notice, it's too late.

Date: July 02, 2010 11:36AM

Damn it! Beat me to the punch line.

I was going to say "Kids, I told you! No fireworks in the house!"

I always douse burned out fireworks with water before throwing them out.

I wonder if homeowners insurance covers fireworks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 11:40AM by Lurker..

Posted by: yeahyouknow ()
Date: July 02, 2010 04:46PM

I live next door to the people's house that got burned down. I left yesterday evening at 8:00PM and saw the neighbors doing fountains and little BS fireworks, the parents were watching.

I got home at 12:30 AM could not turn into my court... About 3 fire trucks showed up. They were still battling the fire when I walked down, it started at 11PM... my neighbor said the kids lit fireworks from the porch. He also said the fire fighters were having trouble getting water from the fire hydrant so the house was burning for a while.

It sucks bc every year we all get together and do tight fireworks. Check out this video from 2 years ago in the same cul de sac...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIyMo-PXONk

Posted by: Photographer1 ()
Date: July 02, 2010 06:21PM

MAP #: 0542 04 0299
BALDWIN STEVEN T 5205 ELLICOTT CT
Owner
Name BALDWIN STEVEN T, BALDWIN ELIZABETH M
Mailing Address 5205 ELLICOTT CT CENTREVILLE VA 20120
Book 15746
Page 2138

Picture taken 6/2/10 2:10am:

CabellsMill-20100603-0210.JPG

Picture taken 6/2/10 3:46pm:

CabellsMill-20100603-1546.JPG

Posted by: robonscanner1 ()
Date: July 02, 2010 06:37PM

I must have seen you. Who is or was the hot girl that comes on a foldable bike?
They were doing a very elaborated cook out. Burgers, Hot dogs, drinks. It was kind of celebration of a succesfull resignation. The house is gone. The only good thing standing is the nice ripe tomatoes on the left side of the house. Very nice neighbors though. Have to admit.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 02, 2010 11:10PM

WTF is going on in Cabell's Mill with fireworks? Seriously. This house was about 1,000 feet from the house the blew up in 2007 from fireworks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/16/AR2007071601632.html

If you live in this neighborhood, get rid of your fireworks. This neighborhood is snake-bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 11:13PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: Whatwrong ()
Date: July 03, 2010 02:15AM

Trogdor your feet are off, but still close. Just go to Cabels Mill and you will definitely see a show of fireworks and drunks at the end of the col de sac. This is a disgrace and happens every year. And obviously they do not learn. Hopefully this webpage will serve as a reminder not to destroy your house by being stupid. And if you do not care if your house is gone, have some common courtesy people for your neighbors their families their kids. Time for congress to step up and make it illegal for street fireworks.

Posted by: bystander ()
Date: July 03, 2010 02:35AM

Posted by: Chief Justice ()
Date: July 03, 2010 08:27AM

Fairfax fire in action - surround and drown.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: July 03, 2010 01:33PM

Whatwrong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trogdor your feet are off, but still close

True...about 2242 ft

Date: July 04, 2010 01:12AM

The guy that blew up his house because he was making fireworks in the garage lived in the next neighborhood after Cabell's Mill.

This one was just the most unfortunate kind! family just playing around having fun and didn't quite do all the safety things.

As for the other neighborhood, that guy was trying to make fireworks in his garage. that, is asking for problems, because you need a place that is ESD safe and you need to be disconnected from anything that can go wrong.

Cabell's Mill is a great neighborhood and there are fireworks and parties, but if people are responsible, we shouldn't have to give that up.

It's a sad time in life for this family. Any contractors or people out there who could help by giving them discounted services, this is the time to step up and be patriotic and humanitarian.

Accidents happen and people probably could have done things in a better way to prevent the accidents, but that doesn't mean the community shouldn't do what they can to help them. All those who can help just remember the insurance company offers accident forgiveness. I hope you will too!

Posted by: givemebreak ()
Date: July 04, 2010 06:31PM

Why are people sitting on the lawn drinking beers? There is table setup and people just watching the house like it is some entertainment. What is worse is people are probably inside? Hope they dont get hurt. Just trouble waiting to happen in the middle of this fine afternoon. Looks like the great people that live there, some dont have, well BRAINS!

Posted by: hey ()
Date: July 05, 2010 07:10AM

Guy next store, go take pictures of the people on the lawn. Or is that you?

Posted by: sososo ()
Date: July 05, 2010 03:50PM

Maybe they are off today for holiday.

Posted by: whocares ()
Date: July 05, 2010 05:48PM

who cares if people were in the front lawn drinking beer? The family was just trying to recover whatever they could. You know if it was your house you would go inside

Posted by: comeon ()
Date: July 05, 2010 06:06PM

People will care if they die in there. That is not safe. Let along alcohol and condemned buildings dont mix. It was a barbeque and beer fest. Total loss.

Posted by: LocalPaperPleaseRead ()
Date: July 05, 2010 06:21PM

I hope the local paper covers the story of the aftermath. And the people going in an out of the house. Get their stuff? It will all stick like smoke. They are getting things like laundry baskets out. Not like that is sentamental. I feel sorry for the family. And I bet all the neighbors lit fireworks anyway. This should be example for Chairman Connelly to make a law that bans personal fireworks in Fairfax County. No personal fireworks within 20 miles of a big airport.

Posted by: AFriendlyNeighbor ()
Date: July 05, 2010 07:42PM

I just got wind of this posting here... first off the aftermath was not some kind of "beerfest" people have been saying. Yes the owner did enter the house but he was being very safe

AND NO we didn't do fireworks in the cul de sac this year bc of this incident. Get your facts straight

Posted by: questionsss ()
Date: July 05, 2010 07:51PM

Was it legal for the owner to enter the house? Or might he face charges? The law is the law. Let insurance cover the lost items. And there are places he can get some clothes and food and shelter for a few days. I think Red Cross and Salvation Army offer that. They should not be too modest and accept it. It will help get some stuff off their minds. And hopefully their insurance will let them rebuild soon, before school, so the kids can not be impacted with their homework.

Posted by: AFriendlyNeighbor ()
Date: July 05, 2010 07:54PM

People weren't going "in and out" of the house like that after the accident. No one has committed a crime

Posted by: Appologys ()
Date: July 06, 2010 06:08AM

Sorry friendlyneighbor. I appologise. Did not realize you were police. Just make sure no one gets hurt. Any idea how long it will get to get the house rebuilt. Make sure they test the concrete and brick. Because that can smell like smoke for years. They might need to replace that.

Posted by: dgennaro ()
Date: July 06, 2010 12:40PM

I grew up in Cabells Mill and nothing like this ever happened when I was growing up. In fact, my parents loved the area so much when they sold their house they moved down the street to Fair Lakes Chase. It is a great neighborhood for kids to be raised in. Accidents happen and this was a very unfortunate one.

But, the fireworks guy back in 2007 was an interesting situation to witness. He was in denial about how bad the accident was at first.

Posted by: Readit ()
Date: July 07, 2010 06:37PM

What ever happened to that person that lived in Cabels Mills underage and the pictures were posted all over. Come on stuff does not happen there. And all the colde sac fireworks everyyear with open beers on the streets. Just accident waiting to happy. I am just happy that no one hurt. Peace out.

Posted by: wellwell ()
Date: July 09, 2010 05:32AM

All of sudden boy with all info does not have info on this. Enguirery minds want to know. Glad the family is going okay.

Posted by: empty space ()
Date: July 21, 2010 11:39AM

This house obviously needs to be torn down, but what will they build in its place? The style of houses in this neighborhood is very unique, and I doubt HOA regulations permit anything other than an exact replica to be rebuilt on the lot... so is that possible? Or is this plot going to be expensive unbuildable parkland for quite some time?

Just curious. The house is still "standing" there all burned out and looks real funny. Thanks!

Posted by: ILikeEmCrispy ()
Date: August 28, 2010 05:02PM

its almost september and the crisp house is still there

Date: August 28, 2010 06:13PM

With real estate so cheap. It's probably cheaper to just buy another house than rebuild the old one.

Posted by: spacegarden ()
Date: August 28, 2010 07:24PM

The house by 7 11 with fire was knocked down recently. it just takes months. And no one in rush to rebuild cabelles mills. their houses are getting nicer with the siding and keeping up lawns good job on keep architecture from homeowners good.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.