HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Vision Centers Eyeglass Places Recommendations
Posted by: SeeSaw ()
Date: August 03, 2010 01:38PM

Does anyone have recommendations for an eyeglass place? I went to Hour Eyes at Fair Oaks Mall last year and was disappointed - I had vision insurance but it was still a rip off. I wouldn't go back there again.

I don't have the vision insurance anymore so am looking for prices that aren't sky high, but maybe they all are.

I've heard that Costco has good prices, but I'm not a member. Is it worth paying membership to use their vision center?

Any places that you would give high ratings to? Thanks so much because I'm getting old and it sucks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vision Centers Eyeglass Places Recommendations
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: August 03, 2010 02:48PM

you don't have to be a member of costco to use the eye doctor there. He rents the space from Costco.

I was amazed at the service, prices, friendliness and professionalism of an eye doctor in Annandale. Galleria Optical in Annandale at the intersection of Little River Turnpike and Hummer Road.

When every time I had previously went somewhere and had my eyes checked for contacts, even though I had insurance I still paid around $400. This doctor took my insurance, 2 exams, 6 months of contacts and he actually refunded my copay. It did not cost me a dime.

You really should go there.

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: August 03, 2010 04:24PM

Do you need an exam, or just glasses? If the latter I would recommend Costco unless you really want/need a variety of designer frames to choose from. We get a pretty good deal from our eye doctor (Brown, Davidson in Springfield) with insurance, but it is still cheaper to go to Costco. I think that it is worth the $50 membership since you can use it for other purchases.

Date: August 03, 2010 07:18PM

TomMadison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you need an exam, or just glasses? If the
> latter I would recommend Costco unless you really
> want/need a variety of designer frames to choose
> from. We get a pretty good deal from our eye
> doctor (Brown, Davidson in Springfield) with
> insurance, but it is still cheaper to go to
> Costco. I think that it is worth the $50
> membership since you can use it for other
> purchases.

You obviously did not read my earlier post which clearly stated:

you don't have to be a member of Costco to use the eye doctor there. He rents the space from Costco.

I will try yo be more clear
1) Go to a Costco
2) park your car legally
3) walk towards the main entrance
4) when you get near the main entrance DO NOT get a shopping cart
5) Walk in the store
6) when the geriatric greeter says "welcome to Costco, m/ay I see your membership card?", you reply "I am here to see the eye doctor. Will you point me in that direction?"
7) the geriatric greeter will extend his index finger and motion you and say something like "over there, behind the tvs and before the tires. If you see the mayonnaise aisle you have gone too far"
8) head in the direction told to you and see if you can locate the good doctor.
9) if step 8 is too difficult, go to customer service and say "I cant see and need to see the eye doctor". The rep will assign someone to lead your dumb ass to the doctor.

I hope I made this a little more clear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 07:21PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 03, 2010 08:58PM

I've only been to once place ever, and only one time ever, but it's run by Dr. Khalil (He has two offices in Western Fairfax). The experience seemed straight forward enough, and I know others who go to him as well (All good experiences).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Yes but ()
Date: August 03, 2010 11:46PM

The doctor at Costco is "independent", I was in the same boat as you and I saw the one at the Fairfax location who I think was about of the quality one would imagine of a DO located in a membership warehouse.

To avail yourself of the optics offered at said Costco you need to be a member. They have a somewhat limited frame selection but the price can't be beat and they get top notch reviews from what I have seen. As a matter of fact I just priced lenses for a frame I have with an optician friend...with discount they were still $70 bucks more.

Date: August 04, 2010 05:35AM

Yes but Wrote:
> The doctor at Costco is "independent", I was in
> the same boat as you and I saw the one at the
> Fairfax location who I think was about of the
> quality one would imagine of a DO located in a
> membership warehouse.
>
> To avail yourself of the optics offered at said
> Costco you need to be a member.

Hear it from a doctor you doucebag...

"If you need further information or would like to schedule an eye exam, please call our office at (707) 570-2418. Please note that you do not need to be a Costco member to be examined by our optometrist eye doctor, and that other optometrist eye doctors are usually available to provide eye exams in our office on the days when Dr. Hall is not scheduled to see patients."

http://www.eyecaresantarosa.com/eye-doctor-santa-rosa.html

Posted by: Yes But ()
Date: August 04, 2010 11:28AM

Perhaps you need to learn to read yourself dumbass...All the statement you posted does is reiterate what I clearly stated...the doctor is independent.

As for the second part of my post it is also corrrect...in order to FILL that prescription at the Costco Optical Center you must be a member.

Stupid and insistent is no way to go through life son...

Date: August 04, 2010 04:44PM

Yes But Wrote:
> Perhaps you need to learn to read yourself
> dumbass...All the statement you posted does is
> reiterate what I clearly stated...the doctor is
> independent.
>
I said it FIRST - the doctor rents space from Costco.

> As for the second part of my post it is also
> corrrect...in order to FILL that prescription at
> the Costco Optical Center you must be a member.

I said you dont need to be a member to see the eye doctor. As for filling perscriptions, I am not a member and they knowingly and happily filled it

> Stupid and insistent is no way to go through life
> son...

Douce bag

You do not need to be a member to use the pharmacy either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 04:45PM by Radiophile.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.