HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
indoor range
Posted by: Rt1guy ()
Date: July 14, 2010 09:37PM

Has anyone one been to the Silver Eagle Group range out in Ashburn? Does Anyone about year membership and it is "packed" that people wait for lane time if you walk in?

any info will be helpful

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: indoor range
Posted by: j ()
Date: July 14, 2010 09:53PM

is this the one in an industrial park? i went there on a date once. friendly, helpful staff.

but come to think of it... there was a moment where like, 3 staffers were standing around lazily looking at the same problem while 4 people waited for service at the counter. that was annoying but hey, its a retail job. i dont expect a whole lot.

once i had help, that person was nice, answered questions, helped us choose a weapon, and we didnt have to wait for a lane. in fact, it was pretty empty. sorry i cant remember what night of the week it was.

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: July 14, 2010 09:54PM

silver eagle group is just another indoor range, better than blue ridge, not as good as NRA range

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: July 14, 2010 09:55PM

Never been there. I prefer the NRA Range in Fairfax. Nice and cheap.

Posted by: judge dread ()
Date: July 14, 2010 10:23PM

nra is the largest indoor range in the united states, at least thats what it say on the papers on the counter.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:21AM

Is the "Silver Eagle Group" range, the only one in Ashburn? If so, I should be checking out that place next week with a friend of mine. He's going to bring his whole cache I think lol, including the AR-15.

Blue Ridge is the only range I've ever used around here, and I liked it. I have a membership there, but it's been a while since I last went. I first started shooting at outdoor ranges, so it was definitely "different" when I first tried an indoor pistol range. I wish I didn't have to drive all the way out to West Virginia, in order to test out some of our higher caliber rifles.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of this shooting range up on Massanutten Mountain, around New Market, VA? It's an outdoor joint, and they have junkyard targets (Tires, Refrigerators, Coolers, etc.). My friend showed me some video of it, and guys were blasting away with full autos (M2's, AK-47's, M-16's, Thompsons, UZI's, etc.). They were firing so many rounds, that some of the targets lit on fire, while others just disintegrated.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: July 15, 2010 08:37AM

judge dread Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nra is the largest indoor range in the united
> states, at least thats what it say on the papers
> on the counter.

Wrong.

I used to work there when it first opened. I was the senior range safety officer (in charge of making sure you animals didn't shoot yourselves and/or eachother).

Pros about SEG:

Excellent air ciruclation system. All three ranges have a vent that spans the entire back wall top to bottom pushing air down range.

Large, clean facility with a lot of retail stuff and decent prices on rentals and ammo. (and a snack bar!!)

Range wait is nil except on the weekends when you might wait 15 minutes for a lane.

Lane rental is on par with NRA

Staff members love what they do and aren't range nazis. I had a range nazi working there when I was in charge...I fired him. Nobody likes having some weirdo hoovering over them while they're trying to shoot, telling them what they're doing wrong the whole time.

If you get a chance (I don't know if they're still offering this anymore) ask for a tour of the scenerio house in the back.

Things they allow that other ranges don't: .50 BMG ammo, quick-draw practicing (the tables in the lanes can be removed), lay-down firing *must have target at max range*, full-auto anything

Annual memberships are, depending on how often you'd go, a steal. Get one if you plan on going a lot and it'll pay for itself twice over.

Lastly...coupons and special offers. Go to their website and sign up for their monthly e-newsletter. They have promos all the time.

Cons:

Don't allow steel-core ammo (we can tell when you're using it, you're not fooling anybody)

Depending on your political allegiances you might care that Mr. Marquez and family contributed to both Hillary and Barack in recent years.

That's really all I've got. I've used all three of the indoor ranges in this area and I have to say that the NRA range is the most professional, SEG is the nicest and biggest, and Blue Ridge is the dirtiest and smallest (but they have a good rental selection). They all cost just about the same but SEG has the shortest wait time (if any at all).

Posted by: Willie wonker ()
Date: July 22, 2010 06:28AM

I go to Sharpshooters in Newington (was once called Gilbert's small arms range and operated by a great guy named Ernie). Now it's called Sharpshooters and run by this cranky bitch. Much of the old staff has left. When my membership expires I'm buying one at the NRA range. Sharpshooters sucks now.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: July 22, 2010 08:18AM

Willie, that sucks to hear - I spent too much of my college time (and money) at Gilbert's. Loved that place. Ernie was great, and so was the rest of the staff.

Posted by: Wildebeat ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:42PM

I tend to divide time between the NRA range and SEG, and I have to agree with this statement:

"NRA range is the most professional, SEG is the nicest and biggest, and Blue Ridge is the dirtiest and smallest" I have limited experience with Blue Ridge, but that was my experience.

The RSOs at the NRA range are more attentive, and tend to do a better job of keeping tabs on people who might not be exibiting the safest behavior. At SEG, the staff is professional, but they expect that you know what you're doing, so they're not going to pay excessive attention. That being said, it's nice for me to feel like I can shoot in peace, but I've noticed more than a couple bonehead moves that went unnoticed by staff. They've been a bit more attentive the last couple of times I've been there though.

NRA is cheaper, 14 bucks for an hour vs 25 at SEG. The real benefit of SEG is that there is never a wait, and when there aren't folks waiting, they'll let you shoot past your hour without hassle. I don't think I've ever shot at the NRA range without a wait.

If you shoot a lot, the membership at SEG is worth it, if I remember correctly it's 135 annually + 35 a month. It pays for itself if you shoot more than a couple of times a month.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.