HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
gmu orientation
Posted by: nurse student ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:04PM

Any idea how long was the GMU orientation today. My live in baby sitter went to GMU for nurse school orientation. I do not think it was necessary to attend?
I may be wrong. She left at 4 pm and she just arrived. It is 11pm right now.
I smell something fishy. Anybody knows about orientation and such.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gmu orientation
Posted by: Doesn't Matter ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:12PM

Are you fucking kidding me? Spend more time with your children. Live in babysitter. Sucks to be your kids.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:23PM

Damn! Is her name Kizzy?

Posted by: nurse student ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:45PM

I do spend time with my kids. She goes to nursing school. No Kizzy

Date: June 17, 2010 11:54PM

Wow. I expected an angry response. Well played. Why a live in babysitter then? And is she ever off the clock? And if she is paid hourly (assuming) why does it matter how long she was gone for? And why are you posting this question here? Do you not know how to use the google machine?

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:55PM

Nursing school orientation is definitely necessary - they don't mess around with that. She will have an amazing workload and study demand. After a BS from Mason and going back for a Nursing degree, I think I studied more in one semester of Nursing school than I did the whole four years for my BS in Psych. You would not believe the stress - especially at Mason where she will have some idiot professors and a lot of busy busy work.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:56PM

Oh and 4pm to 11pm isn't too bad - I think she's legit.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:56PM

Also, you say that you do see your kids because the babysitter goes to nursing school... yet she is just now attending orientation. Fail.

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:59PM

4-11pm doesn't sound bad at all. I remember the orientation I went to didn't even start until like 7pm, and I didn't get home until later.

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: June 18, 2010 12:06AM

you should fire your babysitter for going to school and bettering herself

Date: June 18, 2010 12:12AM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you should fire your babysitter for going to
> school and bettering herself

LOL. +1

Posted by: Actual Response ()
Date: June 18, 2010 03:04AM

The majority of the orientation is unnecessary. I recommend attending in the morning to receive the schedule and attend the events that spark your interest along with the parts the sound mandatory. For instance the most important parts I can recall were the class sign up, math placement testing, student identification, and lunch because it was free. The majority of those take place on the second day. But the schedule is key and make sure to examine each description.

Date: June 18, 2010 03:52PM

The content itself may be weak in some parts, but I'd go to the whole thing just to meet people, teachers, and start finding your little group of people. The folks I met at orientation were with me the whole way through.

Posted by: woahthere ()
Date: June 18, 2010 04:38PM

I went to GMU and the orientation is required, which is bullshit. They force you to pay for it, too. The only reason people absolutely go is you have to attend to be able to register for classes. At least, that's what they say. After it finished it seemed you didn't have to talk to anyone to 'unlock' your registration status.. it just opened at a certain time.

Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: June 18, 2010 05:07PM

All majors require more studying in one semester than all four years for Psychology.

fourleaf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nursing school orientation is definitely necessary
> - they don't mess around with that. She will have
> an amazing workload and study demand. After a BS
> from Mason and going back for a Nursing degree, I
> think I studied more in one semester of Nursing
> school than I did the whole four years for my BS
> in Psych. You would not believe the stress -
> especially at Mason where she will have some idiot
> professors and a lot of busy busy work.

Posted by: former_gmu ()
Date: June 19, 2010 01:14AM

Is your live-in babysitter's initials KC? Sounds like an awfully familiar story. I really don't have an answer to your question, but people that want to be social outcasts are wrong.

Go to orientation, and get to know your fellow nursing majors. I'm not sure how large the program is, but you will likely have 2,3,4 classes together with some of these people. If the courseload is as heavy as a poster said it was, it would be VERY beneficial to get a study group going.

In all honesty, much of college is knowing the right people to copy off of. You don't necessarily need to cheat, but it's always good to have a group of people to turn to when you have a question. Also nice to have someone to throw vocab back at each other.

Good luck with the program. When you're done, registered nurses make bank.

P.S. I can understand why some families need babysitters, although I agree it isn't for most families (hence why it's so rare). Don't feel like explaianing that though.

Date: June 19, 2010 11:07AM

Are you people fucking retarded? She is not interested in orientation. She is afraid that her live in babysitter took some extra time for herself under the flag of orientation. She doesn't believe that the orientation took that long. Personally, I don't see how that is any business of hers. Regardless, work on reading comprehension. "actual response"= Fail.

Posted by: abr135 ()
Date: June 19, 2010 12:33PM

I go to Marymount and when I went to orientation it was an overnight event that EVERYONE had to participate in. Those hours are not unreasonable. Just a suggestion, but if it was for only those few hours you really should cut her some slack and spend time with your own kids or hire someone else to cover for her. I'm sure you could find a teenager willing to babysit that goes to your church or local place of worship. If this happens again, speak to the youth minister at your local church. He/she will probably know of a responsible teenager who can babysit in your sitter's absense. Also, it is highly admirable that your sitter is getting an education. You are being much too hard on her.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.