HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Kindergarten readiness has many variables
Posted by: Anne Schwartz ()
Date: July 29, 2013 08:12AM

The recent move to all-day kindergarten in Fairfax County prompted me to write to encourage parents in our community to consider a pre-kindergarten program for children who might benefit from an additional year in preschool. If a child is not quite ready for the requirements of a very challenging all-day kindergarten program, then an additional year to develop further and strengthen needed skills might be advisable.

Heading off to kindergarten is a wonderfully exciting time. When your child is ready, schooling is a long, happy journey. If you are at all uncertain that your child is ready for kindergarten, to ensure success you should reflect on your child’s social, emotional, physical and intellectual development. For optimal success, all four areas of development should be progressing simultaneously.

It is not uncommon for a child to be very bright, yet not physically or socially or emotionally ready for the rigors of working all day in a large group. There are many advantages to enrolling your child in a pre-k program and spending an additional year in preschool. In my experience, parents agree that you never regret waiting a year, but you might regret pushing ahead with a child who would truly benefit from another year in a smaller setting with more individual attention and support.

Comments from several McLean parents on the advantages of enrolling a child in a pre-k program before proceeding to kindergarten include:

“An extra year in a pre-k program is very important to consider, especially if your child has shown some difficulties in his performance at preschool. Parents sometimes rush in putting their kids into kindergarten without thinking about the challenges that they are going to face at the upper levels.”

Another reflection: “I knew my son was ready academically, but I didn’t like the idea of him being the youngest child in his kindergarten class. It didn’t take long for me to realize that waiting for kindergarten was the best decision I could have made.”

Lastly, “My son started preschool when he was 3 years old and when it was time to start kindergarten it was a big decision for our family. My son was very bright, but shy and needed some more time to gain confidence in a small, caring group. This one extra year made him ready for the transition from a small environment to elementary school.”

If you are questioning your child’s readiness for kindergarten, the McLean area offers many excellent choices for pre-k classes. Investigate the different programs available, ask questions, think about your child’s individual strengths and weaknesses, and consider giving your child the gift of time.

Anne Schwartz

Director of Dolley Madison Preschool in McLean.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kindergarten readiness has many variables
Posted by: HoneyBooBoo ()
Date: July 29, 2013 09:56AM

... actually true. I wish I had known this before my son started Kindergarten.

Posted by: Co-op Preschool ()
Date: July 29, 2013 10:03AM

My son will have 3 years of pre-school before kindergarten plus the supplemental work we do at home. He'll be 4 in October and only takes PM naps when we take long drives in the car. He'll be ready for kindergarten. Thanks.

Posted by: makes sense to me ()
Date: July 29, 2013 02:04PM

My mother delayed my start of kindergarten for a year. She was a PE teacher and knew how boys mature later than girls, and how sitting still was an impossibility for me.

I started first grade not knowing how to read, and really struggled with it until about March of my first grade year. In March, though, reading prowess obtained almost immediately, to the point where I read everything I could get my hands on, and really began to like school.

I went on to do well in undergrad and grad at very competitive schools. I wonder if I would have been put in special ed today with low expectations, or more likely, drugged, with severe long term motivational effects.

Everyone is different, but this read early and test early and often craze simply has to harm a great many boys. And I wonder how boys prosper in "GT" programs with lots of "projects". Boys need competition to stay interested, and projects rarely excite them.

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: July 29, 2013 02:16PM

Another thing to consider is not just readiness for kindergarten, but also how being a year younger might affect your kids. You have to consider, especially with boys, they mature later both physically and mentally. Think about sports in high school... having an extra year to mature could make a huge difference.

Posted by: asdfsadfafsd ()
Date: July 29, 2013 04:29PM

matt 703 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another thing to consider is not just readiness
> for kindergarten, but also how being a year
> younger might affect your kids. You have to
> consider, especially with boys, they mature later
> both physically and mentally. Think about sports
> in high school... having an extra year to mature
> could make a huge difference.

You make a very good point, I started Kindergarten when I was four and it was tough to keep up with the other kids.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.