HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Who offers High-Speed Internet in Reston and Herndon vs wireless or cable?
Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: July 30, 2009 07:58AM

Several of my friends in Maryland have high speed internet over phone lines vs cable or Verizon. It's not as fast as wireless and cable, but fast enough for videos and large downloads. It's about 1/4 the cost of Verizon, and more reliable than cable.

Sounds like a win-win wouldn't you think? Some areas of Fairfax offer this service, but it's sparce. Does anyone know of internet providers that plan to offer this service to Reston or Herndon users any time in the near future?

Verizon laid cables in my community last year and everyone was all excited about the new "faster than lightening" service. Now I'm hearing alot of grumbling about lousy and slow customer service and complaints about sales people not being upfront about all the additional fees and taxes hidden in the fine print that jacks the price up by as much as 50%.

My sister has high-speed internet via phone lines and loves it. It costs $58 a month (including her phone service). She can do nearly everything her Verizon and cable friends do, and there's hardly ever an interruption in service.

Surely, there are enough mid-range internet users who would subscribe to this service to warrant a profitable return on the providers' investment. Not everyone wants or needs all the bells and whistles of wireless or cable (or the cost). It's pretty safe to presume that dial up users aren't subscribing to their service as a personal preference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 08:01AM by RestonLass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who offers High-Speed Internet in Reston and Herndon vs wireless or cable?
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 30, 2009 09:33AM

By "Verizon" I assume you are talking about Verizon FIOS, and by "internet over phone lines" I can only guess you are talking about DSL, which is a service also offered by Verizon in some areas.

I don't think Verizon is going to offer DSL in spots it isn't already available if FIOS is available there.

I don't think your sister's DSL @ $58 is a quarter of data-only service with Verizon FIOS.

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: July 30, 2009 10:07AM

You're right, it about half. There is mo DSL where I live, though I just learned COX is eyeing the area as a potential hot market.

VERIZON FIOS $105/month
basic FIOS service (all that's available where I live) is $65 (incl taxes and fees) plus telephone $40 = $105.

COMCAST CABLE $70/month (1st 6 mos) then, $105/month
basic $30 (incl taxes and fees) for the first 6 months plus telephone $40 = $70; then $65 (incl taxes and fees) + telephone $40 = $105

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 03, 2009 03:55AM

RestonLass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're right, it about half. There is mo DSL where
> I live, though I just learned COX is eyeing the
> area as a potential hot market.
>
>
> VERIZON FIOS $105/month
> basic FIOS service (all that's available where I
> live) is $65 (incl taxes and fees) plus telephone
> $40 = $105.
>
> COMCAST CABLE $70/month (1st 6 mos) then,
> $105/month
> basic $30 (incl taxes and fees) for the first 6
> months plus telephone $40 = $70; then $65 (incl
> taxes and fees) + telephone $40 = $105

I had Comcast, but switched to Verizon FiOS in later Winter (2009). FiOS is definitely better by far, as I can receive better packages for far less money. What used to freeze and need re-loading (On the Internet) on Comcast's equivalent price tier, is less expensive and without the aforementioned problems on Verizon.

BTW, yes, Fiber Optic lines are superior to the Coax dominating much of Cable (Comcast included).

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.