HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Doughnut Suit Goes to Federal Court
Posted by: curious ()
Date: June 30, 2009 09:09PM

An update to the previous topic-
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/200027/201551.html#msg-201551

Link to Article in Fairfax Times-
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2009/jun/30/doughnut-suit-goes-federal-court/

Doughnut suit goes to federal court

Fairfax County
By Gregg MacDonald
Source: Fairfax County Times
TUESDAY, JUNE 30 2009

A Fairfax County suit against Krispy Kreme Doughnuts may have just gotten a little stickier.

The ongoing legal battle was officially moved from Fairfax Circuit Court to Federal District Court with a final order issued on June 17.

According to court documents filed in federal court on June 25, a pre-trial conference will take place between both parties at 10 a.m. on July 15. One thing is certain, refreshments that morning will not include doughnuts.

In May, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors filed a $20 million lawsuit in Circuit Court against North Carolina-based Krispy Kreme, alleging that its Lorton plant has destroyed local wastewater pipes with “doughnut grease and slime.”

The suit alleged that “excessive quantities of highly corrosive wastes, doughnut grease and other pollutants,” from the plant have caused millions in damages and even sparked environmental concerns.

Court documents claim that the Lorton factory rolls out about 83 million doughnuts a year, producing as a byproduct somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 gallons of waste each day.

According to court documents , the county alleges that waste from the plant has been a problem since it opened in 2004.

The county recently provided the prolific doughnut maker a bill for nearly $2 million, saying that's how much it has cost to repair damage directly related to the manufacturer. The additional $18 million in fines addressed in the suit are punitive.

On June 11, Krispy Kreme shot back, filing a response to the suit that claims the county “invited businesses such as Krispy Kreme into Fairfax County without providing a proper infrastructure for its operations.”

The response claims that the county sewer system’s “faulty design and construction,” is in violation of the federal Clean Water Act “as well as the Sewage Collection and Treatment Regulations approved by the Virginia State Water Control Board.”

It says the system allows sewage to become stagnant and anaerobic “thereby creating conditions that have caused the corrosion to the metal and the failure of the system.”

“We believe the county’s claims are totally unfounded,” wrote Brian K. Little, director of corporate communications for the company, in an email.

“Krispy Kreme has occupied the Lorton location for more than four years and during that period of time has been over 99 percent compliant with all permits. Also, since April 2008, at the County’s request, we have not been discharging wastewater in Fairfax County,” he wrote.

Fairfax County does not comment on active litigation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Doughnut Suit Goes to Federal Court
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: June 30, 2009 09:52PM

So they admit to being non-compliant with 1% of required permits??

Posted by: Jizzlobber ()
Date: June 30, 2009 09:58PM

I once showed up for traffic court in a donut suit. The judge gave me the harshest penalty for driving under a suspended license. Some people have no sense of humor.
Attachments:
21236.jpg

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: July 01, 2009 01:06AM

Holy table breaking image batman

Date: July 01, 2009 01:44AM

Does jizzlobber's extremely obnoxious unresized image constitute spam?

Or does it just show his neophyte newbyness?

I mean, anyone that has been on the intrawebs for more than a week should have figured out how to resize an image so that it fit into their comment without requiring 8 or 9 clicks on the scroll wheel.

I can only assume this dickweed was intentionally spamming. Obviously his comment really didn't have anything to do with the OP's post anyway. I think he is just trying to clog up these series of tubes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 01:47AM by Thurston Moore.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: July 01, 2009 01:47AM

i agree, but you're wrong that it has nothing to do with the OP... its a doughnut suit :P

Date: July 01, 2009 02:22AM

Kenny_Powers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i agree, but you're wrong that it has nothing to
> do with the OP... its a doughnut suit :P

Fuck you for using that logic bullshit! Damn you!

I guess all I can say is, good move, well played.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 02:23AM by Thurston Moore.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: July 01, 2009 02:51AM

lol thank you, usually logic isnt one of my strengths... as well as spelling, punctuation and grammar

Date: July 01, 2009 03:11AM

Kenny_Powers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol thank you, usually logic isnt one of my
> strengths... as well as spelling, punctuation and
> grammar

speling, punktuation and gammur? That stuff is too hard. Who has time for that shit when there are celebrities doing stuff that is more important than the stuff I'm doing?

But as long as you know what Britney and Angelina are doing, and you parents keep sending you checks, your okay. Or is it "You're" okay?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:41AM

I'll give him a pass owing to his user name...LOL

Posted by: curious ()
Date: July 19, 2009 02:28AM

FX SEEKS TO DESTROY DOUGHNUT EVIDENCE!

Update:

Fairfax wants to get rid of 19 tons of 'evidence' in doughnut lawsuit
By: William C. Flook
Examiner Staff Writer
July 16, 2009

Fairfax County wants to toss out 19 tons of fouled sewer equipment at the center of its lawsuit against Krispy Kreme, arguing the doughnut maker has had "ample opportunity" to inspect the ruined pipes.

The disgusting body of evidence is stockpiled at the Gunston Commerce Center in Lorton, the remains of a sewer system the county says was destroyed by years of corrosive discharge from a Krispy Kreme plant at the business park. Fairfax is suing the company in federal court for $19 million, including $2 million in repair costs.

The county wants to rid itself of "undue annoyance, burden and expense" of storing the materials, asking permission in a court filing to dispose of them.

Krispy Kreme is crying foul.

The company said it flew its experts out last month to test the equipment, but Fairfax officials refused to grant them access unless they signed an agreement accepting liability for any potential damage during the inspection.

"Our filings lay out our position that the county should not be allowed to destroy evidence," Krispy Kreme spokesman Brian Little wrote in an e-mail to The Examiner. "We intend to prove that the county's lawsuit is completely groundless."

The lawsuit, filed in May, has garnered national attention because of the high profile of the defendant and its confectionary products.

The county says the plant's dumping of yeast, grease and other discharge clogged and destroyed the network of pipes in southern Fairfax. Krispy Kreme says the county's faulty design allowed sewage to become stagnant, leading to buildup of harmful chemicals that wrecked the sewer system. Krispy Kreme wants to take samples from the pipes that bolster its case.

"The [county] should not be heard to complain that there is nowhere to store a few dump trucks worth of material within the large geography of Fairfax County until this case is concluded or until Krispy Kreme agrees that further inspection is unnecessary," Krispy Kreme wrote.

Replied Fairfax: "The county has not just given Krispy Kreme access to the evidence ... the county has offered and beseeched Krispy Kreme to come and get it."

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: July 19, 2009 05:48AM

Maybe I've lived in Fairfax County too long. This sounds like typical county politics. It was first brought to the County's attention in 2004 (during the boom time when everyone was riding high) but they waited to file suit five years later, when the economy took a nose dive.

The suit alleged that “excessive quantities of highly corrosive wastes, doughnut grease and other pollutants,” from the plant have caused millions in damages and even sparked environmental concerns.

Had the county acted in 2004, when this first brought to their attention, it could have prevented damage to this extent, so I have to wonder if the county didn't contribute to this.

I'm not a donut fancier, but I really do believe if this had been brought to KKs attention five years ago, and it implemented alternative waste disposal measures, there would be no law suit.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 19, 2009 05:23PM

Replied Fairfax: "The county has not just given Krispy Kreme access to the evidence ... the county has offered and beseeched Krispy Kreme to come and get it."

fairfax county are a bunch of assholes when it comes to anything legal, especially when it's in their interest to screw you over. evidence should be available without liability and fairfax pulls shit like this: "Fairfax officials refused to grant them access unless they signed an agreement accepting liability for any potential damage during the inspection." it must be a requirement to have a large stick lodged in your ass to be an official in fairfax.

that said, i dont know who is at fault for this bullshit but the county sitting on their hands for four years should disqualify their complaints.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.