HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Good HVAC service needed
Posted by: categoryX ()
Date: April 29, 2009 10:22AM

I would love to know if someone can recommend any local air conditioning and heating service provider in Fairfax that can give reasonable pricing for replacing an existing system.

A/C unit in my place went bad - the unit has broken fan blades and the damage seems obviously more than that, so buying a brand new A/C unit seems a reasonable/ unavoidable way to go. It then turned out that the entire A/C-heating system had to be replaced because it was from the original construction back in 1988; replacing only the A/C unit is not an option, according to a technician from My Plumber who looked into the system yesterday. But they say it's gonna be over $7,600 for a system of 15 SEER! Though I do not disagree that the entire system needs to be replaced, I thought the cost was a bit too much...

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good HVAC service needed
Posted by: highly recommended ()
Date: April 29, 2009 10:30AM

Residential Systems 703-502-3040

All the technicians that have been here are clean cut and professional. Our unit went out and a new one is currently on order. Called various companies to check on our quoted cost and all said we were getting a great price. Two years ago we were warned a new one was necessary, but they helped us fix the old one as long as possible. Very cheaply I might add.

Date: April 29, 2009 10:30AM

categoryX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to know if someone can recommend any
> local air conditioning and heating service
> provider in Fairfax that can give reasonable
> pricing for replacing an existing system.
>
> A/C unit in my place went bad - the unit has
> broken fan blades and the damage seems obviously
> more than that, so buying a brand new A/C unit
> seems a reasonable/ unavoidable way to go. It then
> turned out that the entire A/C-heating system had
> to be replaced because it was from the original
> construction back in 1988; replacing only the A/C
> unit is not an option, according to a technician
> from My Plumber who looked into the system
> yesterday. But they say it's gonna be over $7,600
> for a system of 15 SEER! Though I do not disagree
> that the entire system needs to be replaced, I
> thought the cost was a bit too much...
>
> Thanks,

Try ServiceMagic.com.

Regardless, much of the cost is going to be tied to the expense of the actual parts. I had to replace my AC about a month ago. The estimate for both the AC and heating was closer to $10K, so $7,600 may actually be on the low end.

Posted by: bledbetter ()
Date: April 29, 2009 10:44AM

ParrishServices.com - These guys are fantastic for HVAC work, the kissing up to the White House on their homepage notwithstanding. ;)

Date: April 29, 2009 03:02PM

highly recommended
WashingTone Locian
bledbetter

Thank you all for your inputs!

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: April 29, 2009 07:44PM

Call Shanahan's for an estimate...703 321-9622

I got 6 estimates to replace my A/C & furnace, Shanahan was BY FAR the lowest....as much as HALF as much as the other clowns bid for the identical equipment.

He's a Trane dealer. He's a low overhead guy....no big (expensive) Yellow Pages....his wife answers the phone.

He shows up when he says he will and does it right. I've had ZERO problems in 3 years now.

Here's an example of what kind of guy he is. I asked him to replace my hot water heater while he was doing the HVAC (I thought it was older than it was)....he looked at it and said, "Don't waste your money, that water heater has years of life left". I kid you not, he talked me out of paying him to replace the water heater. How many service folks would do that?

Posted by: Recent replacement ()
Date: April 29, 2009 08:13PM

I just went through the process and found cost alone is not a contributing factor. I had one salesman trying to sell me a low efficient builders grade system at the same cost as another quoted me which will result in a higher efficient system AND a TAX CREDIT of $1500.

I paid $6900 (8400-1500tax credit) for a Rheem 3 ton heat pump system which has 2 stages of cooling and 3 stages of heat, as explained to me by the tech., it will operate at a low stage during mild temps and kick up to 100% at colder or Hot temperatures.

It's awesome, never been more comfortable.

John Nugent and Sons. Found through Angies List and highly recommended by a friend.

Date: April 29, 2009 08:51PM

Thanks to tubby & Recent replacement too for your valuable information! Will call as many of the recommended places as possible for estimates before another heat comes back to the area! Yup, I became aware of the tax credit thing as I did research...an important factor to consider.

Thanks again, everybody :)

Posted by: SFox ()
Date: April 29, 2009 11:49PM

Be sure to contact John Cunningham before you contract with someone else. He's a true professional with integrity! Won't try to sell you something you don't need. Will recommend options and explain the differences -- then ask you to decide what you want to do. Also have 24-hour techs available for emergencies, which is not available from all companies.

Had our outside A/C unit repaired by them today. Correctly rewired and replaced a burned-out part (wrong one) that was installed by another company last summer. Service tech put stretch covers over his shoes, to make sure he didn't track dirt into the house. First time I've ever seen that!

HVAC Unlimited Inc.
7635-C Fullerton Road
Springfield, VA 22153
703-455-6000
http://www.hvac-unlimited.com

Posted by: Consumer Advocate ()
Date: April 30, 2009 06:49AM

Residential Systems. 703.502.3040

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.