HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
‘Gifted’ designation sparks debate
Posted by: Gifted Enrollments ()
Date: July 08, 2013 06:02AM

‘Gifted’ designation sparks debate

Fairfax County School Board, GMU discuss options to addressing growing gifted enrollments
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130703/NEWS/130709659/1117/-x2018-gifted-x2019-designation-sparks-debate&template=fairfaxTimes

Possible over-identification of students as gifted became the central debate of a recent School Board meeting on Advanced Academic Programs.

Last week, School Board members met with George Mason University analysts to discuss a new 300-page report by Mason evaluating Fairfax County Public Schools’ AAP offerings. Mason was tasked with unearthing answers to a number of questions of concern to board members, including those involving an enrollment boom in AAP. During the last several years, enrollment in Level IV AAP Centers, the highest level of advanced academics offered to third- through eighth-graders, has more than doubled.

“We used to identify about 6 percent for Level IV. We’re now hovering closer to about 18 percent of Level IV,” said School Board member Megan McLaughlin (Braddock District) during a work session last Thursday. “Why did we see that change happen in Fairfax County? We all know it’s not because a huge influx of talented kids moved in. In fact what we’re seeing is a change in our population with kids having ESOL (language) challenges. So we need to have a more accurate picture about the change in our population and how that relates to the change in our identification at Level IV.”

Mason analysts offered some insight.

“There isn’t anything wrong with the AAP identification model. The model itself is sound,” said Beverly Shaklee, director of Mason’s Center for International Education. “We believe it is being influenced by outside stressers to the system… There is a cottage industry out in the region of test preparation and of preparing students prior to taking the test for identification and screening. People can go shopping for a test. And they can go shopping for the person who is going to help their child get the test score they want.”

Shaklee said the current set-up favors students from wealthier families and often results in some children tackling advanced course loads they aren’t equipped to handle.

“Parents place a very high level [of importance] on participation in AAP programs. To an extent that is positive,” Shaklee added. “It’s a positive recognition of the quality of the program and caliber of what is going on; but sometimes they may take it a little bit further than they need to in terms of their child being in a particular program.”

GMU’s analysis included collected surveys from 1,752 students, 708 parents, 79 teachers and 27 administrators. Additionally, Mason held focus group discussions with teachers, parents and students and conducted 20 AAP classroom observations.

Shaklee said FCPS might be able to stem over-identification by changing its AAP identification test.

“You could consider using one source for external testing,” she said. “Instead of the shopping mall approach where people can go and find a variety of providers, you could make a decision that there is one external provider that is an approved external person.That would limit some of what’s happening with the shopping for tests.”

A customized test specific to Fairfax County might offer the school system more control in ensuring truly gifted students are gaining admittance into AAP classrooms.

A customized test might also address School Board members concerns over access to gifted programs.

“I still think we have a problem with access, equal access,” School Board member Patricia Hynes (Hunter Mill District) said. “And I think it has to do with the fact that we know the significant role that parent referrals play and I think this [raises the question] of whether we’re identifying too many. Your report says that equal access is available, but I wonder, in practice, is that true?”

FCPS conducts screenings of all students in second and third grades to see if they are eligible for AAP offerings. After those screenings, parents and sometimes teachers may refer students for AAP services.

“The comment that we hear consistently is that the national average of gifted kids is 5 or 6 percent, or somewhere around that, and we’re at 16 percent or so,” School Board member Dan Storck (Mount Vernon District) said. “Are our kids, as Garrison Keillor would say, that much above average?... Is this truly something unique going on here?”

GMU analysts said Fairfax County’s parents are highly educated, which could be linked to a larger student talent pool. Similarly, income could be a driver. Fairfax County’s median income is $105,000, the second highest in the nation behind Loudoun County.

The School Board will take up AAP enrollment and expansion questions again during a work session later this month.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ‘Gifted’ designation sparks debate
Posted by: Teacher Preacher 4 Live ()
Date: July 08, 2013 02:02PM

Because every helicopter parent in FFX Co believes that their little Hannah and Cody is above-average, bright and just plain brilliant, they pound on the front doorstep to force their kids into AAP. Accordingly, because little Hannah and Cody are NOT that smart, just privileged and exposed at a young age, the teachers must dilute the curriculum to ensure that Hannah and Cody don't bring a slew of C's on their report card. As an AAP teacher myself, I am innundated by pleas from parents to ease on the little cucumbers because they are over-extended by soccer or gymnastics practice and violin or piano lessons or ski and Caribbean vacations....all true stories. What's even worse are all the kids that are ARMED with IEPs and 504s in AAP classes. Seems the little cucumbers needs extra time on tests and can opt out of home assignments if they are to challenging, but at the same time, they are supposed to be academically advanced. WTF?

Posted by: Barry Hussein Obama III ()
Date: July 08, 2013 02:05PM

If you like my son and can spell your name, you're gifted!

Posted by: young cho fat ()
Date: July 08, 2013 02:33PM

Teacher Preacher 4 Live Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because every helicopter parent in FFX Co believes
> that their little Hannah and Cody is
> above-average, bright and just plain brilliant,
> they pound on the front doorstep to force their
> kids into AAP. Accordingly, because little Hannah
> and Cody are NOT that smart, just privileged and
> exposed at a young age, the teachers must dilute
> the curriculum to ensure that Hannah and Cody
> don't bring a slew of C's on their report card.
> As an AAP teacher myself, I am innundated by pleas
> from parents to ease on the little cucumbers
> because they are over-extended by soccer or
> gymnastics practice and violin or piano lessons or
> ski and Caribbean vacations....all true stories.
> What's even worse are all the kids that are ARMED
> with IEPs and 504s in AAP classes. Seems the
> little cucumbers needs extra time on tests and can
> opt out of home assignments if they are to
> challenging, but at the same time, they are
> supposed to be academically advanced. WTF?

Get a real fucking job.

Posted by: Old Lee Skinny ()
Date: July 08, 2013 03:26PM

young cho fat ::::

Stop being an insecure, underaccomplished blowhard.

Posted by: Tray von Martin ()
Date: July 08, 2013 07:14PM

Of course Dan Storck would quote Garrison Keillor. Sheesh.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 08, 2013 07:16PM

Tray von Martin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course Dan Storck would quote Garrison Keillor.
> Sheesh.

I've seen that Amish beard looking freak on cable access. Wouldn't want anyone looking that weird working with kids, but that's just me.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Kam Fong ()
Date: July 08, 2013 07:30PM

as Chin Ho

Posted by: mykids ()
Date: July 08, 2013 09:12PM

My kids tested in to level IV and we didnt even know the program existed. We almost threw out the acceptance to level IV letter. Both kids scored in the 99% nationally. Went to ask the AAP counselor about it all. She said we had to 'apply' with a rather elaborate form and narrative. I was all like ' but they are in the top 1% nationally - they have to apply?' She indicated that due to parents doing almost anything to get their kids in we had to play the game. So kids scoring maybe top 90% or possibly even lower get test training? Their parents probably hire lawyers to negotiate acceptance. Weird.

Anyway we did decide to go for Level IV services and its great. If your kid isnt smart though you just end up screwing them because the material is a grade ahead and the classes are mostly very very smart.

Level IV is a godsend for those of us with Nerd kids. I was not a nerd and would have been crushed in the classes.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.